'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:02:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:43:38 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Fans  (Read 103637 times)

KampusFoods

• All American
Re: Virginia Tech Fans
« Reply #375 on: April 03, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
He isn't leaving. I will wager whatever amount of money you'd like.

Nobody here thinks that he is. Guru is just saying that it's not as unreasonable as some people are making it out to be. I tend to agree.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #376 on: April 03, 2019, 11:50:29 AM »

If Wojo stays, it’s not out of some sense of loyalty to Marquette or what he’s built here.  It’s because he’s not a serious candidate for other high major jobs at this time.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #377 on: April 03, 2019, 11:52:20 AM »
I don’t believe Va Tech is a better job but in a better conference and it’s way closer to Wojo’s hometown.  Don’t see why it’s such a stretch.  And I don’t think it shows MU is messed up.  Very coincidental that 2 coaches would leave.  And this Chris Arvin (Va Tech scoop writer doesn’t seem to be backing away that it’s done as I read his forum posts.  Or is he a fraud?  I don’t know.  Does anyone else know?  Seems interesting. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #378 on: April 03, 2019, 11:53:22 AM »
If Wojo stays, it’s not out of some sense of loyalty to Marquette or what he’s built here.  It’s because he’s not a serious candidate for other high major jobs at this time.

Could be both.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #379 on: April 03, 2019, 11:56:16 AM »

My worry is Arizona after he has a successful 6th year here to go clean up their mess with a doubled salary vs. whatever we'd pay and a very long leash

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #380 on: April 03, 2019, 11:58:50 AM »
I don’t believe Va Tech is a better job but in a better conference and it’s way closer to Wojo’s hometown.  Don’t see why it’s such a stretch.  And I don’t think it shows MU is messed up.  Very coincidental that 2 coaches would leave.  And this Chris Arvin (Va Tech scoop writer doesn’t seem to be backing away that it’s done as I read his forum posts.  Or is he a fraud?  I don’t know.  Does anyone else know?  Seems interesting.

Wojo is a grown man who hasn't lived in his "hometown" since he went away to college (unless you consider Durham his hometown).
That said .... way closer?
Milwaukee to Baltimore flight time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Blacksburg to Baltimore flight time: 1 hour, 25 minutes

And that's assuming you can get direct flights from Blacksburg to Baltimore.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #381 on: April 03, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »
If Wojo stays, it’s not out of some sense of loyalty to Marquette or what he’s built here.  It’s because he’s not a serious candidate for other  better high major jobs at this time.

FTFY

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #382 on: April 03, 2019, 12:00:55 PM »
Wojo is a grown man who hasn't lived in his "hometown" since he went away to college (unless you consider Durham his hometown).

I guess you’re right.  Was just thinking it’s a state away.  But I hear you.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #383 on: April 03, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »

Since I had to visit Roanoke, VA in February I can attest that it is called Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport.  It's still a 50 minute drive to Blacksburg from the airport.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #384 on: April 03, 2019, 12:10:11 PM »
FTFY

I disagree.  I simply don’t think he’s a candidate for any other high major jobs at this time.  Aside from fan blogs and yahoos on Twitter, where is the evidence that other schools have reached out to him?

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #385 on: April 03, 2019, 12:12:10 PM »

If he is, it's not to VT after driving to Gary!
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #386 on: April 03, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »
People..all this questioning why Wojo would leave?? Strange as it may sound, Coaches leave jobs sometimes for personal reasons that none of us are privy too. I mean, maybe Wojo and/or his wife don't like the city of Milwaukee or the cold winter?? Maybe he loves and has always wanted to be in the ACC before he went to Duke as Coach. Maybe Va Tech would throw a ton of coin at him that almost no one could turn down. Maybe he just wants something different. Point being, none of those things could be a reason, some of them could be, or all of them could be. None of us know.

It's not always as black and white as we all think it is. These Coaches are humans too...they have lives and families..Coaches could move to a "lessor" job for any number of reasons that don't make much sense to any of us, but to the Coach and his family, they make a lot of sense.

I absolutely agree with you.  I don't know what motivates Wojo (and/or his wife).  As you said, none of us do.

That said, as we're wildly speculating about a situation none of us really knows a damn thing about, we can choose to assume that most people act according to fairly typical motivations, or we can choose to assume that they act according to atypical motivations.  I fully recognize that whichever choice we make, we really have no idea.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #387 on: April 03, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
I disagree.  I simply don’t think he’s a candidate for any other high major jobs at this time.  Aside from fan blogs and yahoos on Twitter, where is the evidence that other schools have reached out to him?

You didn't write "at this time" in your post.
Fact: Wojo won't leave for any high major job. Would you see him leaving Marquette for Oregon State or Penn State or Mississippi?
Also Fact: Wojo very likely will leave Marquette if a high major program he believes is better makes him a good offer.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #388 on: April 03, 2019, 12:16:27 PM »
You didn't write "at this time" in your post.
Fact: Wojo won't leave for any high major job. Would you see him leaving Marquette for Oregon State or Penn State or Mississippi?
Also Fact: Wojo very likely will leave Marquette if a high major program he believes is better makes him a good offer.

Huh?  The post you quoted and “fixed” says “at this time”.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #391 on: April 03, 2019, 12:28:09 PM »
I absolutely agree with you.  I don't know what motivates Wojo (and/or his wife).  As you said, none of us do.

That said, as we're wildly speculating about a situation none of us really knows a damn thing about, we can choose to assume that most people act according to fairly typical motivations, or we can choose to assume that they act according to atypical motivations.  I fully recognize that whichever choice we make, we really have no idea.

Wojo took the Marquette job after being offered several opportunities through the years at high major schools. He choose Marquette, in part, because there is a clear understanding between Marquette and Wojo that they would stick with each other through thick and thin and with the understanding that a long term commitment is in everyone's best interest. Keep in mind Wojo's benchmark is Coach K at Duke. He seeks to replicate that consistency at Marquette. MU has his back as the administration believes consistency will breed success. Wojo's seat is not even warm.

Could things change? Of course. But for those of you that bet on things you should look elsewhere.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #392 on: April 03, 2019, 12:30:03 PM »
Thought Exercise: Remove your Marquette bias. Would you leave the Marquette job today for the Virginia Tech job today?
We Are Marquette

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #393 on: April 03, 2019, 12:32:51 PM »
My worry is Arizona after he has a successful 6th year here to go clean up their mess with a doubled salary vs. whatever we'd pay and a very long leash

Yeah, this makes more sense to me than the VT rumor.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #394 on: April 03, 2019, 12:33:07 PM »

Doesn't really matter what's happening.  But it is happening.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #395 on: April 03, 2019, 12:33:20 PM »
Who are they?  Behind a paywall for me.

Willard
Wojo
Marshall
Cronin

Arvin guy still seems to maintain Wojo in the lead and that Willard rumor is from coaches but the Wojo rumors are from inside VPI. 

Personally, I don't believe him.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #396 on: April 03, 2019, 12:34:55 PM »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #397 on: April 03, 2019, 12:39:59 PM »
Willard
Wojo
Marshall
Cronin

I know the AAC is garbage but I still think Cincinnati is a better gig than VT.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2019, 12:40:32 PM »
Heard Wojo's wife loves MKE winters so I think we're safe there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »

I know you don't want to believe it, but if VT managed to hire Wojo it would be universally praised by everyone other than Scoop's vocal minority as a very good hire for them.

That being said, I don't think we will ever get to find out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback