'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Fans  (Read 103624 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Virginia Tech Fans
« Reply #350 on: April 03, 2019, 09:25:05 AM »
Wow, Corey Evans lists Shaka Smart as a candidate but not Wojo.

Zero reason Wojo would be a candidate for the gig. Shaka is at least previously from Virginia.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #351 on: April 03, 2019, 09:27:53 AM »
As for why Wojo would go to VT and leave behind a winning program he rebuilt, he'd either desperately have to want to get back to the ACC or be convinced that Marquette will dick him around on his contract (or both). I don't see it happening at all, but that's all I can come up with on his possible motivation.

This is the primary thing I keep coming back to.  In my mind, it makes absolutely no sense for Wojo to leave for the VT job.  If he does, there is something very wrong at Marquette.  And perhaps I'm a complete homer, but I don't think that's the case.

Who am I kidding?  Of course I'm a complete homer.  But I still don't think there's some huge problem at Marquette that is going to drive Wojo away when he's presumably on the brink of a very special season.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #352 on: April 03, 2019, 09:38:23 AM »
What's with Buzz? Tell me what's a-happenin'.

Ha, all of a sudden scoop is experiencing some technical difficulties...

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #353 on: April 03, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »
Lots of "bare cupboard" talk on VT's boards. Buzz's calling card.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2019, 09:43:34 AM »
Corey Evans weighs in with Virginia Tech coaching candidates.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/buzz-williams-leave-virginia-tech-what-s-next-for-hokies-

Can't help but wonder what the VT fans think of this list:

• Odom - UMBC
  • Miller - UNCG
  • Smart - Texas
  • Marshall - Wichita State
  • Jones - Radford
  • Thompson - formerly of Georgetown

While some of those guys might be good choices, there's really nothing in that list suggesting that VT is going to poach a Big East HC who was in the tournament this year.

Of course, that list could be totally and completely wrong.  But I suspect that the VT people are thinking bigger than a lot of the names on that list.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #355 on: April 03, 2019, 09:47:53 AM »
Lots of "bare cupboard" talk on VT's boards. Buzz's calling card.

Also comments on how good a job Wojo did of rebuilding the dumpster fire Buzz left behind.

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #356 on: April 03, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »
Rothstein speaks, everyone settle...

“Sources: Seton Hall's Kevin Willard is expected to be a primary target to replace Buzz Williams at Virginia Tech. Hokies' AD Whit Babcock has been prepared for this departure and has had a list of potential candidates for weeks. #shbb“

Not good for the Big East continuing to lose coaches.  Becoming more and more mid major
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:54:59 AM by geps »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #357 on: April 03, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »
So for those who do not want to wade into the muck but want to understand the Wojo to VT rumors.

It started with the now famous series of flight tracker tweets. A Virginia Tech fan blog found a flight from Waukesha to Roanoke over the weekend. They concluded that the only reason that such a flight would exist is because Wojo is flying to interview for the Virginia Tech job. Keep in mind that Roanoke is an hour away from Virginia Tech and there is a private airfield in Blacksburg right off campus that any plane that could take off from Waukesha could certainly land at.

The same Virginia Tech fan blog then found a flight on Monday from Gary, Indiana to Blacksburg, VA. This time it was at least to the correct airport and the plane was registered to a VT booster. The fan blog then concluded again that the only reason a VT booster would fly from Gary to Blacksburg was to pickup Wojo for an interview. Or it was to pickup Wojo's family so that they could be with Wojo for the announcment. This of course ignores the fact that Gary is a 2-3 hour drive through Chicago traffic, so why the hell would they pick Gary as the pickup spot when there are dozens of airfields closer? It also ignores the fact that we have confirmation that Wojo was in Milwaukee filming Inside Marquette Basketball when this flight was supposedly taking him to Blacksburg.

Adding fuel to the fire of these rumors is the fact that Wojo deactivated his twitter account. VT fans think it is because he is job searching. Marquette fans think it is because he and his family was getting threats from twitter morons after the Murray State loss.

The rumors are now being continued by one person and one person only, Mr. Chris Arvin (https://twitter.com/chrisarvin_247?lang=en). He has not tweeted about any of his Wojo to VT rumors but he has been very confident on the private boards of VTScoop that it is a #donedeal. He claims to have a direct line to VT's AD and is very confidently proclaiming that Wojo is the next VT coach. Arvin describes himself as a "Basketball writer for VTScoop" on his twitter page and the posters there definitely treat him like an insider but he is not one of the official 247 insiders for Virginia Tech. No one else on VTScoop has claimed any inside information, they are all just following Chris' lead.

So really this comes down to this one poster on VTScoop. Maybe he does have a direct line to the AD and has some insider knowledge, though in my experience ADs usually don't hand that kind of information out to people and tell them they have free reign to post it on the internet. Or maybe this is a poster who has read enough tea leaves to convince himself that Wojo will be the next VT coach and is trying to make a name for himself by being the first person to call Wojo to VT. After all if he ends up being wrong he can always pull the "Mrs. Wojo didn't want to move to Blacksburg" card.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #358 on: April 03, 2019, 09:52:21 AM »

[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:57:35 AM by geps »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #359 on: April 03, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »

Just sayin', but someone needs to figure out how to quote someone's post and reply with something new......
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #360 on: April 03, 2019, 10:00:08 AM »
Just sayin', but someone needs to figure out how to quote someone's post and reply with something new......

Yes

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #361 on: April 03, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
Why would you leave a job when your best team on paper is next year, the next year he will be in demand if he does what we think the team will do.  Even if Markus
leaves, they might be a team instead of a one man band on offense.  I have seen Koby a few times, in some areas he is better than Markus, for sure passing and playing D, he is build, not like Elliott who is a rail.  I am just hoping a year off, will make him bigger and stronger and not take a step back like Cain did.  If Markus does leave,
I hope he can pick up some type of transfer, hopefully a wing that can play.  Missed on Chartonney, to bad.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #362 on: April 03, 2019, 10:01:57 AM »
Why would you leave a job when your best team on paper is next year, the next year he will be in demand if he does what we think the team will do.  Even if Markus
leaves, they might be a team instead of a one man band on offense.  I have seen Koby a few times, in some areas he is better than Markus, for sure passing and playing D, he is build, not like Elliott who is a rail.  I am just hoping a year off, will make him bigger and stronger and not take a step back like Cain did.  If Markus does leave,
I hope he can pick up some type of transfer, hopefully a wing that can play.  Missed on Chartonney, to bad.

To be fair crean left before his best year since 03 (and on paper might've been a more dynamic team)
Maigh Eo for Sam

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #363 on: April 03, 2019, 10:03:05 AM »
So for those who do not want to wade into the muck but want to understand the Wojo to VT rumors.

It started with the now famous series of flight tracker tweets. A Virginia Tech fan blog found a flight from Waukesha to Roanoke over the weekend. They concluded that the only reason that such a flight would exist is because Wojo is flying to interview for the Virginia Tech job. Keep in mind that Roanoke is an hour away from Virginia Tech and there is a private airfield in Blacksburg right off campus that any plane that could take off from Waukesha could certainly land at.

The same Virginia Tech fan blog then found a flight on Monday from Gary, Indiana to Blacksburg, VA. This time it was at least to the correct airport and the plane was registered to a VT booster. The fan blog then concluded again that the only reason a VT booster would fly from Gary to Blacksburg was to pickup Wojo for an interview. Or it was to pickup Wojo's family so that they could be with Wojo for the announcment. This of course ignores the fact that Gary is a 2-3 hour drive through Chicago traffic, so why the hell would they pick Gary as the pickup spot when there are dozens of airfields closer? It also ignores the fact that we have confirmation that Wojo was in Milwaukee filming Inside Marquette Basketball when this flight was supposedly taking him to Blacksburg.

You missed the part where they found another flight from Milwaukee to Gary! Picking up the fam. That makes it solid.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #364 on: April 03, 2019, 10:06:56 AM »
To be fair crean left before his best year since 03 (and on paper might've been a more dynamic team)

Crean also had already been to a Final Four and left for a blue blood. This is in no way the same thing.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #365 on: April 03, 2019, 10:10:49 AM »
Crean also had already been to a Final Four and left for a blue blood. This is in no way the same thing.

I agree when you add on those factors. Just pointing out that using the argument of leaving before your best year on paper alone isn't always the best way of looking at it
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #366 on: April 03, 2019, 10:14:46 AM »

But Crean left for a job that post people would have definitely seen as a step up.  I understand that VT is in the ACC, but it's not an obvious step up.  I know that Buzz went there -- but he didn't leave a great team behind and there was plenty of speculation that MU was messing with his happy.  In other words, the things that made Buzz's departure to VT understandable just aren't there in Wojo's case.  Also, Buzz leaving VT for A&M just shows that even though he did a great job there, VT isn't a destination job.

My personal opinion -- which certainly could be wrong -- Wojo's not going to leave Marquette unless it's a real step up or unless there is serious problems behind the scenes.  I don't think VT is a real step up and, notwithstanding the dissatisfaction of some Scoopers, I don't think there are problems at Marquette that would drive Wojo away at this time.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #367 on: April 03, 2019, 10:18:56 AM »
This is the primary thing I keep coming back to.  In my mind, it makes absolutely no sense for Wojo to leave for the VT job.  If he does, there is something very wrong at Marquette.  And perhaps I'm a complete homer, but I don't think that's the case.

Who am I kidding?  Of course I'm a complete homer.  But I still don't think there's some huge problem at Marquette that is going to drive Wojo away when he's presumably on the brink of a very special season.
If you're Wojo, why not see how high VT is willing to go?  Can he get $3.5MM from them?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #368 on: April 03, 2019, 10:42:45 AM »

Best case scenario, VT blogs have a Benny B equivalent (or maybe it was Benny himself trying to top his Myron Metcalf stunt) who has gloriously trolled two fanbases because we are a bunch of insecure babies.

If Benny B is the Twitter flight tracker and/or Mr. Chris Arvin, that is next level stuff!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #369 on: April 03, 2019, 10:42:58 AM »

Adding fuel to the fire of these rumors is the fact that Wojo deactivated his twitter account. VT fans think it is because he is job searching. Marquette fans think it is because he and his family was getting threats from twitter morons after the Murray State loss.

The rumors are now being continued by one person and one person only, Mr. Chris Arvin (https://twitter.com/chrisarvin_247?lang=en). He has not tweeted about any of his Wojo to VT rumors but he has been very confident on the private boards of VTScoop that it is a #donedeal. He claims to have a direct line to VT's AD and is very confidently proclaiming that Wojo is the next VT coach. Arvin describes himself as a "Basketball writer for VTScoop" on his twitter page and the posters there definitely treat him like an insider but he is not one of the official 247 insiders for Virginia Tech. No one else on VTScoop has claimed any inside information, they are all just following Chris' lead.

So really this comes down to this one poster on VTScoop. Maybe he does have a direct line to the AD and has some insider knowledge, though in my experience ADs usually don't hand that kind of information out to people and tell them they have free reign to post it on the internet. Or maybe this is a poster who has read enough tea leaves to convince himself that Wojo will be the next VT coach and is trying to make a name for himself by being the first person to call Wojo to VT. After all if he ends up being wrong he can always pull the "Mrs. Wojo didn't want to move to Blacksburg" card.

VPI14?

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #370 on: April 03, 2019, 10:44:40 AM »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #371 on: April 03, 2019, 10:57:13 AM »
It may be difficult with no twitter for Wojo, but has anyone even heard if VT has even contacted him?  Buzz only went official today, but "sources" (take it for what it's worth) have said that Willard heard from them last week.  If Willard has heard from them, and the closest thing we've got is a flight tracker, I would say Wojo to VT is at a solid 0%.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/1113455988542267392

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #372 on: April 03, 2019, 11:02:59 AM »
April 3, 2019 | 11:49am
Kevin Willard flirts with Virginia Tech in potential Seton Hall exit
https://nypost.com/2019/04/03/kevin-willard-flirts-with-virginia-tech-in-potential-seton-hall-exit/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter

A source close to Willard told The Post, “It’s a little serious,” but Willard does have reservations about leaving what could be a top-25 team next year. Willard is loyal to star guard Myles Powell, who has one year of eligibility remaining, and would return virtually his entire team, in addition to Florida State transfer Ike Obiagu and highly regarded four-star recruit Tyrese Samuel.

Per source, Willard has three years left on his contract and makes just under $2 million per year.

Willard never got much of a look from his alma mater, Pittsburgh, last year, as he had hoped. But this appears to be different. He got the most out of the Pirates this season, leading them back to the NCAA Tournament after graduating four core seniors and being picked to finish eighth, and was a runner-up in Big East Coach of the Year voting to Villanova’s Jay Wright.

Vanderbilt also reached out to Willard last week, sources said, but it has been reported Jerry Stackhouse is the leading candidate at the SEC school.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #373 on: April 03, 2019, 11:21:24 AM »
People..all this questioning why Wojo would leave?? Strange as it may sound, Coaches leave jobs sometimes for personal reasons that none of us are privy too. I mean, maybe Wojo and/or his wife don't like the city of Milwaukee or the cold winter?? Maybe he loves and has always wanted to be in the ACC before he went to Duke as Coach. Maybe Va Tech would throw a ton of coin at him that almost no one could turn down. Maybe he just wants something different. Point being, none of those things could be a reason, some of them could be, or all of them could be. None of us know.

It's not always as black and white as we all think it is. These Coaches are humans too...they have lives and families..Coaches could move to a "lessor" job for any number of reasons that don't make much sense to any of us, but to the Coach and his family, they make a lot of sense.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #374 on: April 03, 2019, 11:34:15 AM »
He isn't leaving. I will wager whatever amount of money you'd like.

feedback