'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Fans  (Read 103568 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Virginia Tech Fans
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2019, 08:30:35 AM »
Question, why did Crean leave when he had a loaded team returning?  Was it about Crean's belief that I4 would be a major upgrade?  (note it was not, Crean was at MU for 9 years and I4 for 9 years and his record was nearly identical.  Crean is what he is, the school doesn't change that.)

He had no way of knowing when he left, but yes. After Shumpert, he expected Indiana to make recruiting easier (it did). Crean left for what Indiana could be, he had no way of knowing what it would be.

I don't see any way Wojo leaves for Va Tech. It's just not that good a job. If he does, so be it, but starting over from another Buzz scrapheap in a place that has no basketball tradition outside the past 3 years seems like a poor choice. He could easily get a better offer in a year or two.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2019, 08:34:42 AM »
Then I remembered that Crean bolted for I4 and left behind a top 10 team.

Question, why did Crean leave when he had a loaded team returning?

I know we've made fun of it for years now, but "It's Indiana" wasn't a ridiculous reason to leave.  History has shown it's not really a very good reason, but...it was Indiana.

In a very short time, somebody is going to make a career decision based upon "It's UCLA."  I think there's a pretty good chance it will be a mistake.  But history is a bewitching siren.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »
It was surprising when Buzz left for VT, considering the money, support, etc.  With Buzz, you had some actual coaching success that warranted consideration.  I guess I don't see why Wojo would be an attractive candidate, other than MU having hired him 5 years ago.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »
I like how they act like they're too good for Willard.  Four straight tourney appearances, pre-Buzz VT would have taken that in a heartbeat.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »
I keep asking why Wojo would leave for VT that needs to be rebuilt (meaning go get paid to suck again) when he has his guys here now, and if everyone returns, he will have another top 10 team and unfinished business at the end of the year.

Now if Wojo's guys are bailing on MU it would make sense, but I've seen nothing on this front.

Then I remembered that Crean bolted for I4 and left behind a top 10 team.

Question, why did Crean leave when he had a loaded team returning?  Was it about Crean's belief that I4 would be a major upgrade?  (note it was not, Crean was at MU for 9 years and I4 for 9 years and his record was nearly identical.  Crean is what he is, the school doesn't change that.)
At the time Crean left, there was still some thought process  out there that Indiana was still a blue blood and just need to adjust to a post Knight era. Obviously time has shown that was not the case.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2019, 08:42:14 AM »
Rothstein speaks, everyone settle...

“Sources: Seton Hall's Kevin Willard is expected to be a primary target to replace Buzz Williams at Virginia Tech. Hokies' AD Whit Babcock has been prepared for this departure and has had a list of potential candidates for weeks. #shbb“

Especially funny since Seton Hall fans started the Wojo rumor.

However, I would prefer Willard stay in the Big East.  I like him.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2019, 08:44:11 AM »
He had no way of knowing when he left, but yes. After Shumpert, he expected Indiana to make recruiting easier (it did). Crean left for what Indiana could be, he had no way of knowing what it would be.

I don't see any way Wojo leaves for Va Tech. It's just not that good a job. If he does, so be it, but starting over from another Buzz scrapheap in a place that has no basketball tradition outside the past 3 years seems like a poor choice. He could easily get a better offer in a year or two.

I don't really see Wojo leaving for VT, either.  As you said, he could get a better offer in a year or two, especially if he has a comparable record next year.  If he goes to VT this year, in what will almost assuredly be a down year (with or without Buzz), those offers probably don't come.  I think he ends up at Maryland within two years, assuming Duke doesn't come calling first.

Also, to those who say VT is "closer to home" for Wojo, Blacksburg is about a 5 hour drive to Baltimore.  He can jump on a direct flight from MKE - BWI and be there in two.  I don't think the location will play into any VT decision from Wojo (and might actually hurt their chances).

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2019, 08:44:39 AM »
Many are saying VT would be a poor choice for Wojo, but I think Wojo would be a poor choice for VT.  To be successful, that program needs a coach with the right stuff, a guy who can (or seems like he could) win anywhere.  Willard might be that guy.  Like Buzz and many other good college coaches, he has just the right combination of sleaze and panache to get it done at a second rate P6 program.  Wojo is having a hard enough time keeping his head above water at MU.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2019, 08:50:22 AM »
Wojo is having a hard enough time keeping his head above water at MU.

A ranked team for most of the season that returns all major players next season?

His head is above water.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2019, 08:53:02 AM »
It was surprising when Buzz left for VT, considering the money, support, etc.  With Buzz, you had some actual coaching success that warranted consideration.  I guess I don't see why Wojo would be an attractive candidate, other than MU having hired him 5 years ago.

I know this has been discussed often but is it really that difficult to believe?

Long time popular school President (Wild) retires, and long time popular AD (Cords) retires. Williams (AD) and Pilarz (Prez) were bad hires. Babcock (Virginia Tech AD) has a strong people person reputation. MU entering the unknown of a new Big East (which has since worked out fine) .....Buzz had great success early and often over 5 seasons. But there was some Final Four chatter coming off of the elite 8 run. Then Vander left unexpectedly. MU misses tourney and would likely have another down year. So the abrupt nature, and choice of school may have raised an eyebrow or two but leaving didn’t.  Buzz knew that getting Virginia Tech to NCAA’s would appease fans there as they made it twice in the previous 26 seasons. Buzz makes it 3 times in 5 seasons and makes Sweet 16. He will lose a lot this season. Buzz is gaining a reputation of early success, sustained annually for 5 or so years and then leaving when he may have a down season or two. There is a good chance he will succeed at A&M early and for a while. Then who knows?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:54:39 AM by shoothoops »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #337 on: April 03, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »
I went to their front page. Holy crap. 4 threads about Wojo.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2019, 08:54:59 AM »
Many are saying VT would be a poor choice for Wojo, but I think Wojo would be a poor choice for VT.  To be successful, that program needs a coach with the right stuff, a guy who can (or seems like he could) win anywhere.  Willard might be that guy.  Like Buzz and many other good college coaches, he has just the right combination of sleaze and panache to get it done at a second rate P6 program.  Wojo is having a hard enough time keeping his head above water at MU.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2019, 08:57:22 AM »
I went to their front page. Holy crap. 4 threads about Wojo.

So, considerably less insane than Scoop.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2019, 08:59:25 AM »
The cupboard isn't bare if Wojo leaves, but Symir could decide to go elsewhere.  Not sure if it makes sense for anyone else to leave or follow if Wojo left.

But I don't see it.  If Wojo has any chance at all of being the Duke coach after K, does he leave a Marquette job that K had him wait for the "right" job, only to then leave again in a couple years when K steps down?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #341 on: April 03, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »
The cupboard isn't bare if Wojo leaves, but Symir could decide to go elsewhere.  Not sure if it makes sense for anyone else to leave or follow if Wojo left.

But I don't see it.  If Wojo has any chance at all of being the Duke coach after K, does he leave a Marquette job that K had him wait for the "right" job, only to then leave again in a couple years when K steps down?

Right.  Why would Wojo leave without accomplishing anything when he has a decent shot at accomplishing something big next season?  No reason to set himself back five years.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #342 on: April 03, 2019, 09:09:28 AM »
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:11:40 AM by shoothoops »

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #343 on: April 03, 2019, 09:10:48 AM »
So, considerably less insane than Scoop.

So many times I wish there was a like or recommend button on Scoop.  Chick nails it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #344 on: April 03, 2019, 09:11:14 AM »

First, we have extreme MU tunnel vision here. We see warts where others don't. I mean, there is a pretty sizable minority of folks here who regularly rip our All-American guard, for crissakes.

Outsiders say, "Wojo took over a program that was down. In 2 years, they were 20-game winners with a McDonald's All-American playing for them, within 3 they were back in the NCAAs. He landed a few more top recruits, made some role players into good D1 players and nearly won a conference title. Clearly trending up. His players also have no behavioral issues, and his program seems squeaky clean, too."

Many Scoopers might not agree with some of the positives because they believe Wojo is the worst ever, but people see what they want to see, and there is some decent evidence to back up the positives. Many here were extremely negative about Buzz getting our job, but the MU hierarchy at the time saw what they wanted to see in him.

What cracks me up is that many of the same folks dumping on Wojo are singing the praises of Willard. Look up their records. I'm not sure how anybody could claim, based upon results and facts, that Willard has outperformed Wojo as a D1 head coach.

If Wojo had Willard's record after 5 years -- 82-80 overall, 30-60 BE, zero NCAA appearances, even though he went to SH with 3 years of head-coaching experience at Iona, where he also accomplished nothing -- Scoop would be going nuclear! Even after Willard finally recruited a decent class, he underachieved with it.

As for why Wojo would go to VT and leave behind a winning program he rebuilt, he'd either desperately have to want to get back to the ACC or be convinced that Marquette will dick him around on his contract (or both). I don't see it happening at all, but that's all I can come up with on his possible motivation.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:15:39 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #345 on: April 03, 2019, 09:11:25 AM »
Buzz is gaining a reputation of early success, sustained annually for 5 or so years and then leaving when he may have a down season or two. There is a good chance he will succeed at A&M early and for a while. Then who knows?

I actually think he stays at A&M for a long time, barring a call from Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, etc.  He's proven that he can be successful in a tough conference, and I have no doubt he'll have similar success in the SEC.  His personality is 100% oil baron, so he'll play well with the fans and the school's monstrous student body.  This is where he was meant to be.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #346 on: April 03, 2019, 09:13:11 AM »
The most insane thing I saw was VPI fans already worrying about Wojo leaving in 5 years to coach Duke.

That approaches Scoop insanity, but still doesn’t quite make it...
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2019, 09:20:24 AM »
I finally caught up with thread, the page and half of Jesus returning to basketball jokes was outstanding....the rest was a great study in Scoop people not being rational thinkers about the state of the program, the coach, or how all of this works.

Before the VT rumors "heated" up, there was stuff going around about UNLV coming for Wojo including burner twitter accounts popping up to tweet "rumors" at me about UNLV offering and UNLV blog people tweeting me about them "hearing things". That turned out to be nothing and it didn't even really reach Scoop. I think this VT stuff is the exact same thing but it sticks because we've got fragile egos around here and so the "fear" of being VPI's stepping stone or "dad abandoned me, of course my girlfriend is going to leave" syndrome. There is nothing to this story, it makes zero sense.

Best case scenario, VT blogs have a Benny B equivalent (or maybe it was Benny himself trying to top his Myron Metcalf stunt) who has gloriously trolled two fanbases because we are a bunch of insecure babies.

Worst case scenario, Wojo's people are spreading stuff out there in an effort to leverage a more valuable/longer/better extension out of MU.

No matter what, this does not end with Wojo at VPI.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #348 on: April 03, 2019, 09:21:23 AM »
If Wojo leaves just give his job to Stan Johnson.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #349 on: April 03, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »
Corey Evans weighs in with Virginia Tech coaching candidates.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/buzz-williams-leave-virginia-tech-what-s-next-for-hokies-

as does Jon Rothstein

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1113427549181423616

Wow, Corey Evans lists Shaka Smart as a candidate but not Wojo.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.