'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Fans  (Read 103651 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: Virginia Tech Fans
« Reply #400 on: April 03, 2019, 12:44:27 PM »
Thought Exercise: Remove your Marquette bias. Would you leave the Marquette job today for the Virginia Tech job today?

Honestly, it's hard to remove the MU bias, but I don't think so.  Aside from being a better conference, I just don't see any advantage to VT.  And, I think it is worth noting that not all schools in a better conference are created equal.  VT is riding high right now because Buzz did a great job for them.  But they really have no strong history to suggest that they can sustain that. There are a lot of teams in the ACC that I think would be a step down from Marquette.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #401 on: April 03, 2019, 12:46:14 PM »
My worry is Arizona after he has a successful 6th year here to go clean up their mess with a doubled salary vs. whatever we'd pay and a very long leash

Stan gets that gig

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #402 on: April 03, 2019, 12:46:20 PM »
Thought Exercise: Remove your Marquette bias. Would you leave the Marquette job today for the Virginia Tech job today?
Nope. It shocked the CBB world when Buzz moved from MU to VT for a reason; MU is viewed as a better program nationally. MU has better tradition, fan support, facilities and similar ability to pay. VT is in a better conference but the Big East is still a top five or better conference.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #403 on: April 03, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
Stan gets that gig

Arizona is hiring a Marquette assistant with no prior head coaching experience as their top guy?
That would be like Notre Dame hiring Gerry Faust.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #404 on: April 03, 2019, 12:50:04 PM »
no teal

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #405 on: April 03, 2019, 12:50:35 PM »
Nope. It shocked the CBB world when Buzz moved from MU to VT for a reason; MU is viewed as a better program nationally. MU has better tradition, fan support, facilities and similar ability to pay. VT is in a better conference but the Big East is still a top five or better conference.

It is a different landscape now. Despite his leaving, Buzz has left VT in a much better place than they were 5 years ago. And I would bet most people think less of Marquette NOW than they did when Buzz left.

Still, I believe MU is the better job, but they are much closer than many here choose to believe.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #406 on: April 03, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »
It is a different landscape now. Despite his leaving, Buzz has left VT in a much better place than they were 5 years ago. And I would bet most people think less of Marquette NOW than they did when Buzz left.

Still, I believe MU is the better job, but they are much closer than many here choose to believe.

For sure. ACC is arguably the best CBB conference. Buzz has made VT very competitive. No reason to think another coach cannot do the same.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #407 on: April 03, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »
The rumors are now being continued by one person and one person only, Mr. Chris Arvin (https://twitter.com/chrisarvin_247?lang=en). He has not tweeted about any of his Wojo to VT rumors but he has been very confident on the private boards of VTScoop that it is a #donedeal. He claims to have a direct line to VT's AD and is very confidently proclaiming that Wojo is the next VT coach. Arvin describes himself as a "Basketball writer for VTScoop" on his twitter page and the posters there definitely treat him like an insider but he is not one of the official 247 insiders for Virginia Tech. No one else on VTScoop has claimed any inside information, they are all just following Chris' lead.

So really this comes down to this one poster on VTScoop. Maybe he does have a direct line to the AD and has some insider knowledge, though in my experience ADs usually don't hand that kind of information out to people and tell them they have free reign to post it on the internet. Or maybe this is a poster who has read enough tea leaves to convince himself that Wojo will be the next VT coach and is trying to make a name for himself by being the first person to call Wojo to VT. After all if he ends up being wrong he can always pull the "Mrs. Wojo didn't want to move to Blacksburg" card.

An update. Now Earvin is hedging his bets and saying that's hearing it could be Willard but Wojo still on the table. So I guess the "done deal" and "official official" talk he was saying before has changed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #408 on: April 03, 2019, 12:58:17 PM »
An update. Now Earvin is hedging his bets and saying that's hearing it could be Willard but Wojo still on the table. So I guess the "done deal" and "official official" talk he was saying before has changed.

Classic take a shot in the dark move. You're right and people will consider you an insider for years. Wrong and "things changed".

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #409 on: April 03, 2019, 01:00:44 PM »
Classic take a shot in the dark move. You're right and people will consider you an insider for years. Wrong and "things changed".

Nailed it.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #410 on: April 03, 2019, 01:01:23 PM »
For sure. ACC is arguably the best CBB conference. Buzz has made VT very competitive. No reason to think another coach cannot do the same.
I don't think MU is vastly superior to VT but sustained success can be difficult, see UNLV, Utah, Georgetown, DePaul, etc.

Also, a lot of concern from VT fans about the state of their team next year regardless of who the coach is.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #411 on: April 03, 2019, 01:01:32 PM »
We need a "it's not happening" gif

Does this work? I didn't like the majority that were Trump based.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #412 on: April 03, 2019, 01:02:34 PM »
Also, a lot of concern from VT fans about the state of their team next year regardless of who the coach is.

Maybe that's why Wojo takes the VT jobs, he really likes cleaning up messes that Buzz leaves behind and super duper enjoys rebuilding programs.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #413 on: April 03, 2019, 01:02:43 PM »

Based on a quick peek at the SH boards, there's some speculation that Willard is pulling a Buzz, and using this to get a pay bump.  He probably deserves it, and TBH it would surprise me if he ends up in Blacksburg, but with these things you never know until its #donedeal.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #414 on: April 03, 2019, 01:02:50 PM »

I agree, but sports is littered with unsuccessful teams that show marked improvement under a coach and then return to where they were after the coach leaves.  There's no reason that VT can't maintain the level where they are now, but it's also quite possible they'll quietly return to where they were before Buzz got there.  Personally, I hope not.  I like the ACC with some new blood shaking things up, and I'd rather it be VT than Miami, BC or most of the other teams.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #415 on: April 03, 2019, 01:06:01 PM »
Maybe that's why Wojo takes the VT jobs, he really likes cleaning up messes that Buzz leaves behind and super duper enjoys rebuilding programs.

I thought Buzz had someone on staff flush after he made a mess.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #416 on: April 03, 2019, 01:06:13 PM »

Wojo wanted the job, but his wife wouldn't let him take it.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #417 on: April 03, 2019, 01:06:49 PM »
Ha! Well played. I guess we'll find out soon. I'd like Wojo to stay but I am very confident MU will be fine if he goes. They are some very attractive options for MU if he leaves.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #418 on: April 03, 2019, 01:08:46 PM »

Did she earn her MU academic tenure? 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #419 on: April 03, 2019, 01:08:52 PM »
Based on a quick peek at the SH boards, there's some speculation that Willard is pulling a Buzz, and using this to get a pay bump.  He probably deserves it, and TBH it would surprise me if he ends up in Blacksburg, but with these things you never know until its #donedeal.

As someone recalled up-thread (or in one of the other threads...who can remember), people were pretty surprised when VT hired Buzz away from Marquette.  That was an unusually good hire for little ole' Virginia Tech.  If I had to guess, I'd say they're likely to return back to what people normally would have expected for VT:  a solid mid-major HC or a top assistant from a P6 school.  They get a little bit of a "bump" in quality because it's the ACC.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #420 on: April 03, 2019, 01:09:02 PM »
So for those who do not want to wade into the muck but want to understand the Wojo to VT rumors.

It started with the now famous series of flight tracker tweets. A Virginia Tech fan blog found a flight from Waukesha to Roanoke over the weekend. They concluded that the only reason that such a flight would exist is because Wojo is flying to interview for the Virginia Tech job. Keep in mind that Roanoke is an hour away from Virginia Tech and there is a private airfield in Blacksburg right off campus that any plane that could take off from Waukesha could certainly land at.

The same Virginia Tech fan blog then found a flight on Monday from Gary, Indiana to Blacksburg, VA. This time it was at least to the correct airport and the plane was registered to a VT booster. The fan blog then concluded again that the only reason a VT booster would fly from Gary to Blacksburg was to pickup Wojo for an interview. Or it was to pickup Wojo's family so that they could be with Wojo for the announcment. This of course ignores the fact that Gary is a 2-3 hour drive through Chicago traffic, so why the hell would they pick Gary as the pickup spot when there are dozens of airfields closer? It also ignores the fact that we have confirmation that Wojo was in Milwaukee filming Inside Marquette Basketball when this flight was supposedly taking him to Blacksburg.

Adding fuel to the fire of these rumors is the fact that Wojo deactivated his twitter account. VT fans think it is because he is job searching. Marquette fans think it is because he and his family was getting threats from twitter morons after the Murray State loss.

The rumors are now being continued by one person and one person only, Mr. Chris Arvin (https://twitter.com/chrisarvin_247?lang=en). He has not tweeted about any of his Wojo to VT rumors but he has been very confident on the private boards of VTScoop that it is a #donedeal. He claims to have a direct line to VT's AD and is very confidently proclaiming that Wojo is the next VT coach. Arvin describes himself as a "Basketball writer for VTScoop" on his twitter page and the posters there definitely treat him like an insider but he is not one of the official 247 insiders for Virginia Tech. No one else on VTScoop has claimed any inside information, they are all just following Chris' lead.

So really this comes down to this one poster on VTScoop. Maybe he does have a direct line to the AD and has some insider knowledge, though in my experience ADs usually don't hand that kind of information out to people and tell them they have free reign to post it on the internet. Or maybe this is a poster who has read enough tea leaves to convince himself that Wojo will be the next VT coach and is trying to make a name for himself by being the first person to call Wojo to VT. After all if he ends up being wrong he can always pull the "Mrs. Wojo didn't want to move to Blacksburg" card.

Wow. Took you long enough, TAMU...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #421 on: April 03, 2019, 01:12:13 PM »

Hey! I already made that joke!  ;D

After all if he ends up being wrong he can always pull the "Mrs. Wojo didn't want to move to Blacksburg" card.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #422 on: April 03, 2019, 01:16:21 PM »
TAMU

Are you saying there is a less than 10% of Wojo going to VT this season?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #423 on: April 03, 2019, 01:19:08 PM »
TAMU

Wojo is NOT going to VT.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #424 on: April 03, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »
TAMU

I've settled on 0% chance.

feedback