'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Virginia Tech Fans  (Read 103656 times)

CountryRoads

• All American
Re: Virginia Tech Fans
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2019, 10:40:02 AM »
Wojo should be interviewing for other jobs. Nebraska just signed a coach for 3.5 million a year. Nebraska.

What is that? Double...triple what Wojo makes? (Disclaimer: no idea what his level of compensation is relative to other top coaches so if it’s on par with them not sure what that would be about.)

Despite the tough finish to the year, he should be out trying to get a better deal if one exists and force MU to pony up. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:44:05 AM by AirPunch »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »
Wojo should be interviewing for other jobs. Nebraska just signed a coach for 3.5 million a year. Nebraska.

What is that? Double...triple what Wojo makes? (Disclaimer: no idea what his level of compensation is relative to other top coaches so if it’s on par with them not sure what that would be about.)

Despite the tough finish to the year, he should be out trying to get a better deal if one exists and force MU to pony up.

This sounds like Agent Talk.  More money for you, more money for me.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

WindyCityGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »

Last I checked Fred Hoiberg has a better track record than wojo. While wojo has all the right in the world to look for better pay, he will be lookkng very long if he’s trying to get Hoiberg money.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2019, 11:03:08 AM »
The announcement that Wojo will take the VT job will be made tomorrow, April 1, no foolin!

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2019, 11:04:17 AM »

I’d hope we wouldn’t be leveraged into that. He hasn’t earned the right to leverage MU
No Finish Line

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
Buzz Williams to Texas A&M is ‘Done’: Sources
By Adam Zagoria
https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/03/30/buzz-williams-to-texas-am-is-done-sources/

ADDED

After one heartbreaking loss, Virginia Tech braces for another
https://sports.yahoo.com/after-one-heartbreaking-loss-virginia-tech-braces-for-another-064602137.html

Yahoo Sports asked Williams about his future in the hallways of the Capital One Center early Saturday morning. When asked if Williams could say definitively if he’d return to Virginia Tech next season, he declined to answer. That was the most telling part of the exchange. When given a forum to clearly state his intention to return, he declined. “I don’t think there’s an answer to that when I have no evidence other than what you guys have writing,” he told Yahoo Sports.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 11:12:29 AM by Heisenberg v2.0 »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2019, 11:46:46 AM »
The announcement that Wojo will take the VT job will be made tomorrow, April 1, no foolin!

Given Tanned Tommie's bolting date, this is not really too funny. 

The bigger question really is why would VT want Wojo? 

As much as I want long term stability in the program, I would not be disappointed if he left.  The problem is always who do you replace him with?  Never a guaranteed improvement, so sometimes best to let the current regime improve over time.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2019, 12:27:32 PM »

There’s your Big Ten Network money in action.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
I’d hope we wouldn’t be leveraged into that. He hasn’t earned the right to leverage MU

Of course he has.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »

Of course he has.

No he hasn’t. And it’s certainly not an “of course” certainty. Plenty of room for debate there
No Finish Line

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »
The fact is in college basketball circles, Wojo is considered successful.  Therefore he has leverage.  Your statements don't change that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2019, 12:46:56 PM »
The fact is in college basketball circles, Wojo is considered successful.  Therefore he has leverage.  Your statements don't change that.
You’re in these circles? I’ll answer for you; you’re not. That’s your perception. If MU didn’t feel his performance warranted an extension/increase before, they shouldn’t be bullied/leveraged into giving him one for fear of losing him.

He hasn’t proven enough to have that amount of leverage. That’s my opinion. Your opinion is he has. They’re both opinions. As I said; much room for debate
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 12:48:40 PM by NickelDimer »
No Finish Line

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2019, 12:50:13 PM »
You’re in these circles? I’ll answer for you; you’re not. That’s your perception. If MU didn’t feel his performance warranted an extension/increase before, they shouldn’t be bullied/leveraged into giving him one for fear of losing him.

He was literally just mentioned yesterday about the VT job.  So yeah.  People think highly of him.

But your second statement is correct.  Marquette can choose to ignore his leverage if they want.  But that doesn't change the fact he has it.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »
This I agree with...his job to lose IMO.

What's really crazy is that VA Tech is seen as a better job than tradition-rich Cincinnati.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2019, 12:56:49 PM »
What's really crazy is that VA Tech is seen as a better job than tradition-rich Cincinnati.

Yes. That is truly ridiculous. Once Buzz is gone Va Texh will likely slide back down the ACC ranks. Buzz is good.

And yes Wojo has earned the right to be in these conversations. But I don’t think he’s goin anywhere. Too many oddities at VaTech for him.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »
This would be unfortunate to start over again.

Well, we wouldn't have to start over on the court.  Cupboard is full.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2019, 01:06:00 PM »
Yes. That is truly ridiculous. Once Buzz is gone Va Texh will likely slide back down the ACC ranks. Buzz is good.

And yes Wojo has earned the right to be in these conversations. But I don’t think he’s goin anywhere. Too many oddities at VaTech for him.

Buzz is a really good coach. Not sure he's the best administrator but he knows how to build a hard-nosed team that meshes together to win.

He uses the same schtick - dudes playing with a chip on their shoulder. You know what? It works.

VA Tech will slide back to basketball irrelevance. The only reason they are in the ACC is because the House of Burgesses made it a political mandate (I am not kidding.)

Not sure what to think about Cincinnati's future. Going back to the old Metro days they have been a force in CBB. The last link to the glory days is Cronin. If they would drop their second rate football program I would welcome them into the Big East in a heart beat.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »

But your second statement is correct.  Marquette can choose to ignore his leverage if they want.  But that doesn't change the fact he has it.

As a guy who did M&A work for a living I can tell you that leverage is bilateral.

WOjo gets an offer from VPI and brings it back to MU they will laugh in his face.

That's not leverage. That's "Go f#ck yourself and your offer"

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »
WOjo gets an offer from VPI and brings it back to MU they will laugh in his face.

That's not leverage. That's "Go f#ck yourself and your offer"

I doubt that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2019, 01:14:41 PM »

In mid major circles perhaps it's improvement. In major college big time basketball it isn't...and shouldn't be at MU.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2019, 01:17:11 PM »
It would be pretty depressing if Va Tech is considered and upgrade from Marquette again. On the plus side, at least we’d know where we stand in the grand scheme of things.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2019, 01:17:23 PM »
I doubt that.

If you are doubting the in the specific you are correct: we have no idea how the MU BoT will react to a Wojo Power Play. Those ass clowns are unpredictable.

But in the general, if one party to a deal doesn't care if it closes then the likely end game is almost certainly, "F#ck off" 

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2019, 01:18:50 PM »
This feels like a good time to remind people how rumor circle jerks work.

OH! RUMOR circle jerks. Never mind...

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2019, 01:21:55 PM »
It would be pretty depressing if Va Tech is considered and upgrade from Marquette again. On the plus side, at least we’d know where we stand in the grand scheme of things.

Bocce Ball

Always remember: some people are running to something while others are running from something.

Context matters.

If Wojo bolts to VPI he ain't running there with stars in his eyes.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2019, 01:30:22 PM »
All this is based on an unidentified plane carrying unidentified people from Waukesha to Roanoke? Hilarious. Scoop's appetite for wild, completely unwarranted speculation is unmatched.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words