[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2019 thread  (Read 124163 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: MLB 2019 thread
« Reply #750 on: July 29, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »
“First and foremost, I owe a sincere apology to all of my teammates, my coaching staff, the organization and all of our fans for how I conducted myself today. It’s unbecoming. It was childish, unprofessional. There’s no place for it in the game. I’m happy it didn’t result in any physical injury for anybody else. I realize I put people in danger.

“I want to be clear that my frustrations were with myself and my inability to stop the situation and keep my team in the game. It was not directed at any of my teammates, even though I know that it came off that way. I love going to battle with my guys every day, and today I feel like I really let them down, both personally and professionally.

“I’m an intense competitor and that fire is what drives me, and today it completely consumed me, took over. I just wanted to say I’m sorry for how I behaved. I’ll be better about it. It won’t happen again.”

I guess they need to put up nets in the outfield to protect fans whenever he's pitching.

And hey ... he's almost as intense a competitor as muguru!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #751 on: July 29, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »
Bauer is a different kind of guy. Had issues in HS cuz he had outside coaches who knew way more about pitching than his HS coach. He was using experimental techniques from the time he was 10 years old and trusted them more than any of his coaches.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #752 on: July 29, 2019, 02:25:49 PM »
Good throw though.

Yeah he plays catch from foul pole to foul pole to warm up for starts.  Weird guy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #753 on: July 29, 2019, 03:46:30 PM »
Yeah he plays catch from foul pole to foul pole to warm up for starts.  Weird guy.

That actually used to be a common practice for pitchers back in the day. Lots of long toss.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #754 on: July 29, 2019, 04:09:29 PM »
Yes, the best team in 1976; but not better than the 1906 Cubs, '27, '61 or '98 Yankees and 2001 Mariners.

61 Yankees are generally overrated because of Maris and Mantle.  Expansion year in the AL helped their gaudy record a lot.  Great team, but not as good as the 75-76 Reds team, IMO.  1975 Reds scored more runs and allowed fewer than the 61 Yanks, and the 1976 team also had a better run differential.  Agree on the other teams, though.

That lineup of Rose, Griffey, Morgan, Bench, Perez, Foster, Concepcion and Geronimo is the best starting 8 in my lifetime, I think. 3 Hall of Famers, really 4 because Rose is a first ballot guy which would have given them 3 first ballot types, and the other 4 guys had between them 17 all star appearances, 9 Gold Gloves, 1 MVP, 7 other top 10 MVP finishes.

That was a great team.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #755 on: July 29, 2019, 04:29:14 PM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #756 on: July 29, 2019, 04:56:20 PM »
61 Yankees are generally overrated because of Maris and Mantle.  Expansion year in the AL helped their gaudy record a lot.  Great team, but not as good as the 75-76 Reds team, IMO.  1975 Reds scored more runs and allowed fewer than the 61 Yanks, and the 1976 team also had a better run differential.  Agree on the other teams, though.

I agree the '76 Reds were the better team. Hard to compare stats, though, as the mound was lowered in '69 greatly helping the offense.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #757 on: July 29, 2019, 05:05:43 PM »
Bauer is a different kind of guy. Had issues in HS cuz he had outside coaches who knew way more about pitching than his HS coach. He was using experimental techniques from the time he was 10 years old and trusted them more than any of his coaches.

I have a love/hate relationship with Bauer.  On one hand, he's an incredibly cerebral and intelligent guy, especially when it comes to pitching.  He's patterned himself after Lincecum in that mold of not being a big overpowering guy like Verlander or Scherzer, but he's gonna have perfect mechanics and being technically proficient.  He throws like 8 pitches and wants more.  He's fascinating in his approach and mindset on the position.

That being said, he's kind of a lunatic and would not surprise me if he has some sort of low level personality disorder.  There's a line between respecting someone for not caring what people think and being a contentious douche, and he usually trends towards the latter.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #758 on: July 29, 2019, 06:48:54 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with Bauer.  On one hand, he's an incredibly cerebral and intelligent guy, especially when it comes to pitching.  He's patterned himself after Lincecum in that mold of not being a big overpowering guy like Verlander or Scherzer, but he's gonna have perfect mechanics and being technically proficient.  He throws like 8 pitches and wants more.  He's fascinating in his approach and mindset on the position.

That being said, he's kind of a lunatic and would not surprise me if he has some sort of low level personality disorder.  There's a line between respecting someone for not caring what people think and being a contentious douche, and he usually trends towards the latter.

Yeah...... I pretty much agree with both points.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #759 on: July 29, 2019, 07:21:14 PM »
That actually used to be a common practice for pitchers back in the day. Lots of long toss.

Still a practice for many pitchers
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #760 on: July 29, 2019, 07:44:23 PM »
Still a practice for many pitchers

The difference is that most pitchers long toss at 120 feet lobbing the ball.

Trevor will throw 300+ feet and throw it as hard as he can.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #761 on: July 29, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »
The difference is that most pitchers long toss at 120 feet lobbing the ball.

Trevor will throw 300+ feet and throw it as hard as he can.

A number of years ago, while at one of my son’s little league games, Indians pitcher Julian Tavarez was there. He apparently knew someone on one of the teams. He was playing catch with several of the kids who were probably 12 or so. It was funny to watch because they were 200+ feet apart. The kids would throw it as hard as they could and get it to him on 5+ bounces, and Tavarez was firing rockets back that were stinging their hands.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:11:49 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #762 on: July 29, 2019, 09:51:13 PM »
Bauer is a different kind of guy.

Easy on beejay, eh?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #763 on: July 29, 2019, 10:41:39 PM »

That lineup of Rose, Griffey, Morgan, Bench, Perez, Foster, Concepcion and Geronimo is the best starting 8 in my lifetime, I think. 3 Hall of Famers, really 4 because Rose is a first ballot guy which would have given them 3 first ballot types, and the other 4 guys had between them 17 all star appearances, 9 Gold Gloves, 1 MVP, 7 other top 10 MVP finishes.

That was a great team.

Best one in my lifetime and that goes back quite a ways. If the 1976 Reds played in New York, no one and I mean no one would question that they were the best team ever. The media would have made sure of it.

First five hitters in the line-up were Rose, Morgan, Perez, Forster and Bench. Of the next four, only the pitcher and Davey Concepcion were weak hitters. For pitchers, the staff was led by Gary Nolan and Don Gullett, the latter of whom would be in the HOF were it not for a torn rotator cuff.

There aint one of those guys I'd want to pitch to and Dan Driessen was on the bench. Bill Plummer, their back-up catcher probably could have started for half the teams in baseball.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #764 on: July 29, 2019, 11:44:49 PM »
Best one in my lifetime and that goes back quite a ways. If the 1976 Reds played in New York, no one and I mean no one would question that they were the best team ever. The media would have made sure of it.

First five hitters in the line-up were Rose, Morgan, Perez, Forster and Bench. Of the next four, only the pitcher and Davey Concepcion were weak hitters. For pitchers, the staff was led by Gary Nolan and Don Gullett, the latter of whom would be in the HOF were it not for a torn rotator cuff.

There aint one of those guys I'd want to pitch to and Dan Driessen was on the bench. Bill Plummer, their back-up catcher probably could have started for half the teams in baseball.

Don’t undersell Concepcion. He was one of the better SS in the league until he neared his mid 30s.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #765 on: July 30, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »
Don’t undersell Concepcion. He was one of the better SS in the league until he neared his mid 30s.
9 all star games and 5 gold gloves.  He would not be the worst shortstop in the Hall of Fame if he were elected (though I would not vote for him).  In 1976 he had a 107 OPS+, which means he was 7% better than the average MLB hitter while playing Gold Glove defense at SS.  If he's your weak link you've got a pretty good team.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #766 on: July 30, 2019, 11:25:46 AM »
Indians pitcher Julian Tavarez was there.

Speaking of pitchers who are out there...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #767 on: July 30, 2019, 11:43:14 AM »

I think the '98 Yankees rotation of Pettite, Wells, Cone, Irabu and El Duque/Mendoza was a better one.  And then you had Rivera out of the bullpen.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #768 on: July 30, 2019, 02:07:21 PM »

That was a great team.

If you’ve never read it, I’d highly recommend checking out “The Machine” by Joe Posnanski.  It’s a really entertaining and well-researched book about the 1975 Reds, with many interviews and firsthand accounts.  The best character in it is Sparky Anderson.  His “turds and superstars” approach to player management and his hatred of pitchers (especially his own) make for a lot of laughs.  Really good read and a must for anyone who wants to know more about that team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #769 on: July 30, 2019, 08:44:05 PM »
Well, the '27 Yankees had the greatest player in history and arguably another all-time top 10. Ruth had 60 HR, Gehrig had 47, and nobody else in either league had more than 30. Only 3 teams (all in the NL) hit as many HR as Ruth. So it starts there, with a team that, compared to its peers, totally lapped the field.

They had two others (Combs, Muesel) with OPS of .900 or better, and two others (Lazzeri, Collins) at .825 or better. So pardon me if I don't concede that the 1976 Reds had a better first 4 or 6 hitters.

They also had 4 pitchers who won 18+ games and had ERAs of 3.00 or less.

I know it's impossible to compare eras, but just as some might say that NBA team with Jordan almost can't help but have been the best ever, any MLB team with Ruth and Gehrig -- in their primes -- I mean, come on.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #770 on: July 30, 2019, 09:20:52 PM »
I agree. The only competition the '27 Yankees have for greatest team ever is the '39 Yankees.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #771 on: July 30, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »
Well Cubs manager Joe Maddon went after Clint Hurdle a few weeks ago.

This time it’s Reds manager David Bell.

https://twitter.com/sinow/status/1156392561474527238?s=21

Also that’s former Marquette opponent Amir Garrett on the mound landing a few haymakers.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #772 on: July 30, 2019, 10:09:34 PM »
Sounds like the Pirates threw at Dietrich’s head earlier which sparked this brawl.

Also, the Reds and Pirates has a fight earlier this year when the Pirates threw behind a Red for watching a homerun.

Classic Clint Hurdle.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #773 on: July 30, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »
Well Cubs manager Joe Maddon went after Clint Hurdle a few weeks ago.

This time it’s Reds manager David Bell.

https://twitter.com/sinow/status/1156392561474527238?s=21

Also that’s former Marquette opponent Amir Garrett on the mound landing a few haymakers.

Puig was traded before this happened and there he is out there mixing it up...I’m sure the Indians were thrilled with that considering the trade.  He should have been pulled immediately from the game once he was traded.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 10:32:59 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #774 on: July 30, 2019, 10:31:10 PM »
Luigi was traded before this happened and there he is out there mixing it up...I’m sure the Indians were thrilled with that considering the trade.  He should have been pulled immediately from the game once he was traded.

I believe he was pulled and came back out.