collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2019 thread  (Read 123967 times)

cheebs09

• All American
Re: MLB 2019 thread
« Reply #350 on: May 30, 2019, 08:26:02 AM »
Scary moment in the Cubs game where it sounds like a little girl was drilled by a line drive foul ball. The stadium went silent as Almora screamed and the players on the field all appeared in shock.

Just extend the nets already.

https://twitter.com/mrevandaniel/status/1133908429410623489?s=21

EDIT:  Sounds like the security guard told Almora the little girl will be ok.

https://twitter.com/sportstalk790/status/1133907005557678080?s=21

Just saw a tweet with Kriis Bryant saying MLB needs to extend the nets. With the age of cell phones and distractions, it seems to be a no brainer.

When I get a chance to sit in foul ball territory, it’s obvious that people aren’t always paying attention. Even paying attention, I’m not sure I can react quickly enough to get out of the way.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #351 on: May 30, 2019, 08:30:05 AM »
Is chico off this particular bandwagon?  I lose track.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #352 on: May 30, 2019, 08:54:47 AM »
Even paying attention, I’m not sure I can react quickly enough to get out of the way.

This.  There are times an infielder who is focusing all of his attention gets eaten up by a line drive.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #353 on: May 30, 2019, 06:18:13 PM »
Is chico off this particular bandwagon?  I lose track.

Hell, I'm about nets everywhere....basketball especially...protecting the patrons is key.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=49780.msg784799#msg784799

No one wants to see anyone get hurt. We can agree to disagree on how long the nets have to be, how high, how much coverage.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #354 on: May 30, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »
Hell, I'm about nets everywhere....basketball especially...protecting the patrons is key.

No one wants to see anyone get hurt. We can agree to disagree on how long the nets have to be, how high, how much coverage.

Thatta boy.  Dig in.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #355 on: May 30, 2019, 06:48:39 PM »

Reductio ad absurdum, thy name is Cheeks.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #356 on: May 30, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »
Thatta boy.  Dig in.

I wish I could lie as easily as he does.

Wait..... no, I don't.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #357 on: May 30, 2019, 07:31:27 PM »

And creeping up to the ignore list....

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #358 on: May 30, 2019, 10:40:01 PM »
I’m not familiar with your stance on the nets. What is your reasoning for not extending them?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #359 on: June 02, 2019, 07:52:15 PM »
dgies must be on vacation. Brace yourself Cubs nation. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #360 on: June 02, 2019, 08:24:57 PM »
I’m not familiar with your stance on the nets. What is your reasoning for not extending them?

In my opinion which I stated years ago, it becomes overkill.  Why don’t the dugouts have nets?  Or plexiglass?  Balls get hit into there?

But let’s user purely the baseball aspect of it.  If you extend the nets from foul pole to foul pole then you reduce the ability of the defense to make plays in foul territory.  Less outs, equal more pitches, longer games, etc. 

What happens when someone goes Jimmy Piersall on the nets, and you know it is going to happen at some point....and that person is hurt?  Will there be a ground swell to remove the nets? 

How about college....going to mandate it there?  Minor leagues?  If one has seen many of these parks, they are not equipped to do this without major investment....I guess the patrons can pay for it.

Honestly, no one wants anyone to be hurt.  I go to a bunch of games a year.  I cringe when people bring their kids and the they don’t pay attention to the game or their kids. People need to be responsible, too.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:27:26 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #361 on: June 02, 2019, 08:26:26 PM »
I wish I could lie as easily as he does.

Wait..... no, I don't.

Apparently sarcasm isn’t your strong suit.

How’s Canada?  Where did you relocate to again?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #362 on: June 02, 2019, 08:56:06 PM »
In my opinion which I stated years ago, it becomes overkill.  Why don’t the dugouts have nets?  Or plexiglass?  Balls get hit into there?

But let’s user purely the baseball aspect of it.  If you extend the nets from foul pole to foul pole then you reduce the ability of the defense to make plays in foul territory.  Less outs, equal more pitches, longer games, etc. 

What happens when someone goes Jimmy Piersall on the nets, and you know it is going to happen at some point....and that person is hurt?  Will there be a ground swell to remove the nets? 

How about college....going to mandate it there?  Minor leagues?  If one has seen many of these parks, they are not equipped to do this without major investment....I guess the patrons can pay for it.

Honestly, no one wants anyone to be hurt.  I go to a bunch of games a year.  I cringe when people bring their kids and the they don’t pay attention to the game or their kids. People need to be responsible, too.

So it would cost money to install the new nets and baseball games might get a little longer? That's the extent of your reasoning for adding a safety measure that could save life and limb for dozens of people?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #363 on: June 02, 2019, 09:11:20 PM »
I’m excited to be a Sox fan right now. Hopefully things unfold for them at #3 tomorrow.

Luis Robert is destroying AA, I wonder what their timeline is going to look like for him.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #364 on: June 02, 2019, 09:34:03 PM »
So it would cost money to install the new nets and baseball games might get a little longer? That's the extent of your reasoning for adding a safety measure that could save life and limb for dozens of people?

No, not the extent of it....but it’s such a rare occurrence it is over rotating in my opinion.  If you are going to make the argument that it is needed for safety of humans, I fail to see how dugouts also are not required. Why wouldn’t you demand it to save their life and limb worth billions of dollars?   Why are we allowing drinking at the games where you can get killed or get bashed and beaten to an inch of your life for wearing an opposing team’s jersey. Why are we allowing t-shirts to be shot into the crowd where people have been hurt?  That’s my point, it is over rotating when there are plenty of other dangerous things going on at games, but because they generate revenue they won’t be touched.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #365 on: June 02, 2019, 10:16:45 PM »
No, not the extent of it....but it’s such a rare occurrence it is over rotating in my opinion.  If you are going to make the argument that it is needed for safety of humans, I fail to see how dugouts also are not required. Why wouldn’t you demand it to save their life and limb worth billions of dollars?   Why are we allowing drinking at the games where you can get killed or get bashed and beaten to an inch of your life for wearing an opposing team’s jersey. Why are we allowing t-shirts to be shot into the crowd where people have been hurt?  That’s my point, it is over rotating when there are plenty of other dangerous things going on at games, but because they generate revenue they won’t be touched.

So because there are other ways a person could get hurt we shouldn't fix this one? That logic doesn't hold up for me.
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #366 on: June 02, 2019, 10:26:24 PM »
So because there are other ways a person could get hurt we shouldn't fix this one? That logic doesn't hold up for me.

How about we take care of the other ways that cause more injury / death first....prioritize.  I posted here years ago the number of injuries and deaths from foul balls and it was very small. Yes, I am aware of the death last year at Dodger stadium from a foul ball ( first death in 50 years and second in close to 100....with literally over 350,000 games played)...just as I am aware of the deaths at Dodgers and Angels stadium from beatings the last few years, alcohol related.  Prioritize...but those bring in $$$$$$$$ so they will not be addressed to the same level.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:30:09 PM by Cheeks »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #367 on: June 02, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »
Nets, foul line to foul line. It's a no-brainer. There is absolutely no reason to argue against them. None.

If one wants to argue that other things also should be fixed to save life and limb, cool, but it has nothing to do with the no-brainer that is putting up nets.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #368 on: June 02, 2019, 11:21:18 PM »
How about we take care of the other ways that cause more injury / death first....prioritize.  I posted here years ago the number of injuries and deaths from foul balls and it was very small. Yes, I am aware of the death last year at Dodger stadium from a foul ball ( first death in 50 years and second in close to 100....with literally over 350,000 games played)...just as I am aware of the deaths at Dodgers and Angels stadium from beatings the last few years, alcohol related.  Prioritize...but those bring in $$$$$$$$ so they will not be addressed to the same level.

So because one way someone gets hurt isn't getting addressed, we shouldn't address this one? That doesn't make sense to me either.
TAMU

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #369 on: June 02, 2019, 11:24:15 PM »
I’m excited to be a Sox fan right now. Hopefully things unfold for them at #3 tomorrow.

Luis Robert is destroying AA, I wonder what their timeline is going to look like for him.

That dude is an absolute beast.  Hit a 460 foot bomb over the scoreboard today in Birmingham.  He has a .930 OPS in AA, in a field that typically suppresses offense, after a 1.400 OPS in high A.  If he keeps this up, I'd think he will be in Charlotte shortly after the All-Star break.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #370 on: June 03, 2019, 09:11:01 AM »
Major League Baseball has a bigger problem than safety.  Boredom and fan loss.  Attendance down again this year despite home run record in May with 1,135 dingers.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #371 on: June 03, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
Major League Baseball has a bigger problem than safety.  Boredom and fan loss.  Attendance down again this year despite home run record in May with 1,135 dingers.

So because there are other problems with baseball we're shouldn't fix this one?  That logic also doesn't hold up.
TAMU

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #372 on: June 03, 2019, 10:04:30 AM »
So because there are other problems with baseball we're shouldn't fix this one?  That logic also doesn't hold up.

Obviously the mlb can't spend 6k per team to extend netting. They have other problems.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #373 on: June 03, 2019, 11:48:35 AM »
So because one way someone gets hurt isn't getting addressed, we shouldn't address this one? That doesn't make sense to me either.
I have long been against extending the netting because I personally dislike watching games through a net and I always try to get seats even with first or third base, which will now be behind nets.

I am not one of those people who looks at their phone constantly (or basically at all unless I am getting a phone call) and pay attention to the game, so I personally don't feel at the slightest risk.

But I am not everybody and you can't have your customers getting seriously hurt from play on the field.  Extending the nets is inevitable and I completely understand it and won't hold it against MLB when they inevitably do it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #374 on: June 03, 2019, 12:00:06 PM »
I have long been against extending the netting because I personally dislike watching games through a net and I always try to get seats even with first or third base, which will now be behind nets.

I am not one of those people who looks at their phone constantly (or basically at all unless I am getting a phone call) and pay attention to the game, so I personally don't feel at the slightest risk.

But I am not everybody and you can't have your customers getting seriously hurt from play on the field.  Extending the nets is inevitable and I completely understand it and won't hold it against MLB when they inevitably do it.

The mature, logical attitude to take. Baseball fans will quickly get used to the nets -- actually, they already have in the areas where they were already extended. Hockey fans got used to them quickly, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback