[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Transfer List  (Read 67469 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Transfer List
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2019, 01:36:01 PM »
Brew

Had you heard of the kid being MU radar prior to a week ago? You, and others, feel next years recruiting class is going to be a home run, so save the spot for next season. There is no need to rush into filling spots. This is what I was talking about when I said long term success is the ultimate goal.

There wasn't an immediate need for a potential stretch four last week. Roster changes beget recruiting changes.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2019, 01:37:51 PM »
Pakuni

He has no chance to play next year. Why take up a spot for guy to sit on the bench for a season?

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »

He won't play a second next year?  On a team with only eight returning players with experience?  You know this how???

Regardless, with three scholarships available now, and two additional next year, Marquette can afford to take a flier on a guy the coaching staff believes has upside.  And if it doesn't work out, he can look elsewhere.

No sense in playing this game Fluff. Goose has spoken. The staff has not been recruiting him long enough for him to be any good.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
Pakuni

He has no chance to play next year. Why take up a spot for guy to sit on the bench for a season?

You know this how? A 6-10 kid with range would seem to have a decent shot at playing time on a team with no clear-cut four next season.
FWIW, Michigan is kicking the tires with Skogman. John Beilein also in the biz of wasting scholies?

https://umhoops.com/2019/02/20/recruiting-roundup-michigan-evaluating-late-rising-2019-big-man/

Goose

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2019, 01:43:36 PM »
Pakuni

Matt H. would not play next season if he had not graduated. I give up...you guys are right. Sign away!!!!!!!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2019, 01:46:30 PM »
Pakuni

Matt H. would not play next season if he had not graduated. I give up...you guys are right. Sign away!!!!!!!

Matt played an important role in a couple games this season as a senior.  That's all I would be expecting out of a guy like Skogman as a freshman.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2019, 01:48:02 PM »
I see both sides here... obviously a sudden need, but I don't see him giving much more than 5 fouls at the 5 in 2019/20.  He will not be some Joey/Sam replacement level player in 19/20. Give him a year and you never know, but you'd have to compare that to some of the realistic 6'9-6'11 targets we have for 2020. Most likely a kid like Garcia or Sibley wouldn't be scared away by him, but there's only so many scholarships to give. I think the Akanno signing is sort of the issue here.  At this point would prefer to have a project stretch 4/5 vs project guard for 2019. Obviously a lot has happened since that signing, but having two guys on scholarships who on paper are limited/projects is a bit much for MU IMO.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »
Pakuni

Based on everything I've read, Skogman and Heldt are not the same player.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 23, 2019, 01:57:25 PM »
No one hits on all 13 scholarships. I like the idea of taking a flyer on a late bloomer, especially one with size who can step out and shoot it. Pick and pop bigs have become commonplace at the next level but are a luxury item in the college game.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 23, 2019, 02:03:17 PM »
You know this how? A 6-10 kid with range would seem to have a decent shot at playing time on a team with no clear-cut four next season.
FWIW, Michigan is kicking the tires with Skogman. John Beilein also in the biz of wasting scholies?

https://umhoops.com/2019/02/20/recruiting-roundup-michigan-evaluating-late-rising-2019-big-man/

If John Beilein is involved with a player, that’s a player I’d want Marquette involved with
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2019, 02:07:24 PM »
The kid will not play a second next year. Sign a player that can play, I'm all for it. To sign a kid that will not sniff the court is foolish.

Agree that MU shouldn't sign someone just to fill a roster spot. Every scholarship is valuable. If we can sign a player who can help the team this year and/or in years to come, he's worth a look.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »
Pakuni

Solid logic.  Since only 8-9 guys routinely get minutes, we might as well only ever use 9-10 scholarships so we can save the others for all the guys who we might sign the following year. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2019, 02:12:29 PM »
Solid logic.  Since only 8-9 guys routinely get minutes, we might as well only ever use 9-10 scholarships so we can save the others for all the guys who we might sign the following year.
Well, there is always the chance of injuries.......

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2019, 02:12:52 PM »
Pakuni

Putting Skogman aside, I think this is an interesting point/topic. What makes you believe that Matt H would not see the floor next year? Curious on your thoughts.

From my view, and as it stands, Morrow + Theo ought to find time on the court together in 19-20. If we had a Matt H-type 3rd string C, perhaps even more likely to see that lineup due to the tail coverage. If John and Morrow are among the 5 best players then Wojo must do what it takes to get them into that lineup (more than just a pure time split). We will play some physical teams and it might be best for us to play these two for 25 minutes apiece... Can't be done without a fallback, IMO.

Obviously, there are all sorts of qualifiers to the above including Theo's fouling, but those have been debated ad nauseum.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2019, 02:28:07 PM »
Putting Skogman aside, I think this is an interesting point/topic. What makes you believe that Matt H would not see the floor next year? Curious on your thoughts.

From my view, and as it stands, Morrow + Theo ought to find time on the court together in 19-20. If we had a Matt H-type 3rd string C, perhaps even more likely to see that lineup due to the tail coverage. If John and Morrow are among the 5 best players then Wojo must do what it takes to get them into that lineup (more than just a pure time split). We will play some physical teams and it might be best for us to play these two for 25 minutes apiece... Can't be done without a fallback, IMO.

Obviously, there are all sorts of qualifiers to the above including Theo's fouling, but those have been debated ad nauseum.

Matt would play. He is not very good which is why Goose contends he wouldn't play, but given the roster conditions he would play maybe 10mpg out of necessity.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2019, 02:48:15 PM »
Pakuni

It don't matta 'cuz hoo knows hoo's coachin' dis teem in 2020, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 23, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »
Sew wood a walk-on. Y tie up a schollie and set da program further back. O, maybee mediocre basketball is all wee need ta have heer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2019, 02:53:23 PM »
We need somebody besides Theo and Ed, for a couple really important reasons:

1. Fouls
As the third big off the bench, Matt played 10 or more minutes in 6 games last season. Only one of them was a complete blowout (14 minutes against Southern). The others were all critical games:

MU v. KU, 12 min, Theo and Ed w/ 4 fouls ea. (68-77 L)
MU v. KSU, 10 min, Theo and Ed w/ 4 fouls ea. (83-71 W)
MU at Gtown, 10 min, Theo w/ 4 fouls, Ed DNP (74-71 W)
MU at Xavier, 20 min, Theo w/ 5 fouls, Ed 7 min (87-72 W)
MU at Nova, 10 min, Theo and Ed w/ 4 fouls ea. (61-67 L)

Can Ike play the 3rd man? I hope so. You're not necessarily looking for a star, just someone who can hold down the position. One way or another we need more depth inside -- both for the 2019-20 season and beyond.

2. Illness and injury
Fortunately, this hasn't been a huge concern the past couple seasons. But what happens in even the most mundane scenario: Theo or Ed get hit with the flu and can't play for a game? Frontcourt depth gives you more flexibility to deal with the unexpected.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2019, 02:56:45 PM »
Sew wood a walk-on. Y tie up a schollie and set da program further back. O, maybee mediocre basketball is all wee need ta have heer, hey?

Scholarships are 1 year deals.  If the kid sucks, so what.  Cut him and re issue the scholarship to someone else.  This isn't rocket science.  Burning anything more than 1 scholarship to keep open for a mid year transfer is lunacy IMO.  Plus mid year transfers generally are not guys you really want as they've already proven to be mid season quitters, so I generally advocate for using all your scholarships. 

Symir + best grad possible + best traditional transfer we can get our hands on seems like a good use of the final 3 spots. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 23, 2019, 02:58:22 PM »
Symir + best grad possible + best traditional transfer we can get our hands on seems like a good use of the final 3 spots.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2019, 03:29:35 PM »
I think Ike handles the Heldt minutes this year.    He is in the pictures with the rest of the team, including in the weight room.   Working up to Ed minutes in 20-21.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 23, 2019, 03:31:26 PM »
I think Ike handles the Heldt minutes this year.    He is in the pictures with the rest of the team, including in the weight room.   Working up to Ed minutes in 20-21.

Agreed, hope he's cleared. If so, I've no doubt he'll make up for it

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 23, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »

At the banquet Ike told Dodds that he was 60% and that he feels "like he can't play basketball anymore". I will be pleasantly surprised if we see him suit up at all next season. Just seems like he'll be injury prone for his career.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 23, 2019, 03:40:21 PM »
At the banquet Ike told Dodds that he was 60% and that he feels "like he can't play basketball anymore". I will be pleasantly surprised if we see him suit up at all next season. Just seems like he'll be injury prone for his career.
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Ike-Eke-injury-update-131323742/

Context.   In the very next sentence, he says he thinks he will play the next two years.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2019, 03:49:53 PM »
https://247sports.com/college/marquette/Article/Ike-Eke-injury-update-131323742/

Context.   In the very next sentence, he says he thinks he will play the next two years.

Reading. In the sentence you reference, he says he still WANTS to play and play for two more years. The entire tone of the interview had a very bleak outlook, IMO.