[Today at 12:47:11 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Wojo Be Fired

Fire Wojo
Keep Wojo

Author Topic: Poll:Let’s stop beating around the bush  (Read 26134 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Poll:Let’s stop beating around the bush
« Reply #100 on: March 26, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »
Recruiting success is function of several things in no particular order. Recruits and their family have differing weighting priorities regarding these points.

1. History and Tradition of  program success
2. Perceived Playing Opportunity
3. Perceived Relationship with Coach
4. Reputation of Coach
5. Desirability of the  University in general
6. Distance from Home
7. Alumni Success in NBA
8. Comfort level parents /guardians have with coaching staff
9. Relationship with kids currently in the program
10. Geographic location

A consistent winning program will score high on many of these attributes. Creates greater opportunity to get best recruits.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 26, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »
Recruiting success is function of several things in no particular order. Recruits and their family have differing weighting priorities regarding these points.

4. Reputation of Coach
6. Distance from Home
7. Alumni Success in NBA
10. Geographic location

A consistent winning program will score high on many of these attributes. Creates greater opportunity to get best recruits.

Reading the board for the last several days, I would have thought the list came down to:

1.  Performance in the last seven games of the season.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 26, 2019, 02:30:14 PM »
Wojo currently polling at 85%.

Can you imagine if a president had 85% approval rating?

Looks like the MU fanbase is overwhelmingly in favor of Wojo continuing.

Maybe now we can move on?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 26, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »
Wojo currently polling at 85%.

Can you imagine if a president had 85% approval rating?

Looks like the MU fanbase is overwhelmingly in favor of Wojo continuing.

Maybe now we can move on?

The only reason most are okay with keeping him, is because they are okay with mediocrity. Not sure why, but they seem to be. I will get told "these things take time, etc etc etc". It's been 5 years, and if they don't do well next year, people will keep the excuse machine going for him. No one will want him fired after next year either if it's not up to expectations. People are too afraid of another Coaching search and losing players. As they say in the gambling world..."scared money don't make money".

I missed buzz the minute he left, and miss him even more now...he won.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #104 on: March 26, 2019, 02:38:37 PM »
The only reason most are okay with keeping him, is because they are okay with mediocrity. Not sure why, but they seem to be. I will get told "these things take time, etc etc etc". It's been 5 years, and if they don't do well next year, people will keep the excuse machine going for him. No one will want him fired after next year either if it's not up to expectations. People are too afraid of another Coaching search and losing players. As they say in the gambling world..."scared money don't make money".

You aren't an alum, that's a big reason why the stain didn't impact you as it did SOME.  It has nothing to do with mediocrity, your continued use of that word means you don't know the definition of it. 

I always like the money reference, especially when it isn't your money that is being spent.  Yes, big bets can pay off big, plenty of big ones that bankrupted people and businesses too.  Again, what is your plan as the replacement, you have offered none that remotely are possible.  Your comparison to other coaches and programs that we aren't in the same space as is telling.   There is no guarantee Wojo is the answer. NONE.  We all get that, we all want to do better....but your backup plan leaves everything to be desired. Your plan is JUST FIRE, and we will figure it out.  Sorry, that doesn't work.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2019, 02:43:49 PM »
You aren't an alum, that's a big reason why the stain didn't impact you as it did SOME.  It has nothing to do with mediocrity, your continued use of that word means you don't know the definition of it. 

I always like the money reference, especially when it isn't your money that is being spent.  Yes, big bets can pay off big, plenty of big ones that bankrupted people and businesses too.  Again, what is your plan as the replacement, you have offered none that remotely are possible.  Your comparison to other coaches and programs that we aren't in the same space as is telling.   There is no guarantee Wojo is the answer. NONE.  We all get that, we all want to do better....but your backup plan leaves everything to be desired. Your plan is JUST FIRE, and we will figure it out.  Sorry, that doesn't work.

You have no idea what my plan would be...none. I have one, believe me..that doesn't mean I am obligated to share a damn thing with you or the board. As far as not being able to draw in a big fish from a P6 school that you claim...that is 100%, absolutely totally VERIFIABLE bullsh*t. I talked to someone(s), that 100% would know the names that have applied or expressed interest, and there were several P6 Coaches that had interest the last time.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2019, 02:46:24 PM »
The only reason most are okay with keeping him, is because they are okay with mediocrity.

Yep, most Scoopers are losers who aren't "competitors." If only 85% of us could be like the brave few Scoop soldiers who would have advocated firing K and Wright a few years into their careers and who still pine for the guy who can't put together a winning record at Texas.

As far as not being able to draw in a big fish from a P6 school that you claim...that is 100%, absolutely totally VERIFIABLE bullsh*t. I talked to someone(s), that 100% would know the names that have applied or expressed interest, and there were several P6 Coaches that had interest the last time.

About this, my friend, you are right about the P6 coaches who had interest last time. chicos knows it, too, but he loves arguing for the sake of arguing and he keeps repeating it anyway.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2019, 02:50:31 PM »
Yep, most Scoopers are losers who aren't "competitors." If only 85% of us could be like the brave few Scoop soldiers who would have advocated firing K and Wright a few years into their careers and who still pine for the guy who can't put together a winning record at Texas.

About this, my friend, you are right about the P6 coaches who had interest last time. chicos knows it, too, but he loves arguing for the sake of arguing and he keeps repeating it anyway.

Just curious, why do you hate Shaka so much?? You constantly rail on him.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2019, 02:56:52 PM »

Completely wrong. Shocking.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2019, 02:58:07 PM »
You have no idea what my plan would be...none. I have one, believe me..that doesn't mean I am obligated to share a damn thing with you or the board. As far as not being able to draw in a big fish from a P6 school that you claim...that is 100%, absolutely totally VERIFIABLE bullsh*t. I talked to someone(s), that 100% would know the names that have applied or expressed interest, and there were several P6 Coaches that had interest the last time.

We keep asking you for one, you don't offer....maybe that's why we are defaulting to "JUST FIRE HIM AND WE WILL FIGURE IT OUT"

Here's your chance, what is the plan. Who are you hiring....give us Plan A, B, C, D.  Please. Thanks
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2019, 02:59:17 PM »

I hear he was simply a bad fit.

Wade-A-Minute

• Walk-On
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2019, 03:10:13 PM »
Guru, go root for Va Tech if you Buzz. Your drumbeat is so old and tiresome.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2019, 03:24:13 PM »

For someone who claims to know things that others do not, do you really not know that my comments about Shaka (some real, some just for funsies) have nothing to do with any "hate" for him or "love" for anybody else?

Like many (most?) Scoopers, I was excited when it looked like we'd get him. He was the hot name at the time, the "cool" coach that all the kids would want to play for. But Mrs. Shaka hated Milwaukee and scotched the deal ... so he ended up going to Texas, where he has vastly, vastly, vastly underperformed every expectation anybody had for him.

I bring him up because ...

1. He is a valid comparison to Wojo, given that Wojo was the backup choice for the exact same job.

2. Some delusional Scoopers "know" he's a better coach than Wojo even though his body of work  these last 4 years does not support it.

3. Scoopers would have been out of their mind had Shaka come here and posted 11-22 and 16-16 seasons.

4. On a less serious note, it's one of "my fun things to say" here, just like 4ever's gibberish or wades' "next game is the only one that matters" or your claims that you are more competitive than the rest of us are fun things y'all say.

The only difference is that facts support what I say about Shaka while you have absolutely no proof that you are more competitive than I am or 4ever is or wades is or TAMU is or Smuggles is or Goose is or chicos is, etc.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2019, 03:28:39 PM »

4. Reputation of Coach
6. Distance from Home
7. Alumni Success in NBA
10. Geographic location

Getting paid helps, too
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2019, 03:41:41 PM »
The only reason most are okay with keeping him, is because they are okay with mediocrity.

Fake news. I seriously question whether anyone who posts here either wants a mediocre MU program, or is simply willing to accept it.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

muguru

• All American
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2019, 04:08:55 PM »
For someone who claims to know things that others do not, do you really not know that my comments about Shaka (some real, some just for funsies) have nothing to do with any "hate" for him or "love" for anybody else?

Like many (most?) Scoopers, I was excited when it looked like we'd get him. He was the hot name at the time, the "cool" coach that all the kids would want to play for. But Mrs. Shaka hated Milwaukee and scotched the deal ... so he ended up going to Texas, where he has vastly, vastly, vastly underperformed every expectation anybody had for him.

I bring him up because ...

1. He is a valid comparison to Wojo, given that Wojo was the backup choice for the exact same job.

2. Some delusional Scoopers "know" he's a better coach than Wojo even though his body of work  these last 4 years does not support it.

3. Scoopers would have been out of their mind had Shaka come here and posted 11-22 and 16-16 seasons.

4. On a less serious note, it's one of "my fun things to say" here, just like 4ever's gibberish or wades' "next game is the only one that matters" or your claims that you are more competitive than the rest of us are fun things y'all say.

The only difference is that facts support what I say about Shaka while you have absolutely no proof that you are more competitive than I am or 4ever is or wades is or TAMU is or Smuggles is or Goose is or chicos is, etc.

The problem is...you or any of us don't know that Shaka would be performing the same at MU. Texas is a tough job basketball wise in a lot of respects. And yes..Mrs Shaka nixed that deal...Shaka had said yes, until she stepped in. Which brings us to our most valuable lesson in all of this...women should NEVER wear the pants in any household, yet so many do. Most men need to have more stones, that's all there is to it. ;D

muguru

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2019, 04:19:44 PM »
Fake news. I seriously question whether anyone who posts here either wants a mediocre MU program, or is simply willing to accept it.

Yet, that's where the program is currently..mediocre, to possibly slightly above. And look at the poll, 80% don't want to fire Wojo. That would imply to me that many are satisfied with the job he has done thus far and where the program is at currently. To me, the program is mediocre right now..about on par with most of the other Big East schools(save for Nova and DePaul). That's not good enough for me. When MU first joined this conference, I figured/assumed, this would be a chance for them to really flex their muscles and run thru it yearly ala Memphis in CUSA for all those years. That's what SHOULD have/be occurring.  Yet, a vast majority here will "crow" over the strength of this Big East etc etc and talk about how it's not as bad as that Conference Memphis repeatedly ran thru on a yearly basis.

But saying that, is not admitting, it's not the strength of the conference, it's the mediocrity of the MU program currently that that scenario hasn't occurred. To me...inexcusable. Even if the conference was incredibly strong, my view would not change, Marquette should OWN the conference yearly. Like Nova has done. The fact that they don't is a much bigger indictment on the state of the MU program currently, then any praise for how much stronger the conference is then some people thought it would be.

Lest we forget, this same MU program won a Big East title in the toughest conference ever assembled, yet..have failed to win one in this Big East. Even when they had a chance to an almost impenetrable chance of not winning it..they failed to do so. That speaks volumes, sadly enough.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »
The problem is...you or any of us don't know that Shaka would be performing the same at MU. Texas is a tough job basketball wise in a lot of respects.

Correct, Shaka might be performing worse at Marquette. You or any of us don't know otherwise.

And "Texas is a tough job basketball wise" sounds an awful lot like an excuse from a guy who is sick of excuses.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2019, 04:27:39 PM »
Marquette's program is well above "mediocre."  I am interested in hearing about guru's super secret plan though. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2019, 04:30:47 PM »
That would imply to me that many are satisfied with the job he has done thus far and where the program is at currently. To me, the program is mediocre right now..about on par with most of the other Big East schools(save for Nova and DePaul). That's not good enough for me.

There's a difference between seeing enough progress to believe Wojo has the program on the right track and being satisfied with where we are right now.

But if you still don't see the distinction, and continue to insist on exclaiming over and over how much more dedicated you are than every other poster here, so be it:

You're the best MU fan there could ever be. The rest of us are idiots content with being spoon-fed college basketball gruel instead of insisting on Dom Perignon and beluga caviar. We're 1,000% wrong. You're 1,000,000% right. We all wish we could be true uncompromising fans like you. Happy?

We'll have to agree to disagree on basically everything, apparently.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 04:33:51 PM by Marcus92 »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2019, 04:38:58 PM »
If you want to have a real impact on the Marquette program, muguru, and single-handedly compel MU to new heights, I don't know why you're spending so much time on this message board. Start an email or letter-writing campaign to the AD. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you. Or why not picket the administration building? That would show true commitment.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2019, 04:50:49 PM »
Better yet, go straight to the source. Because you clearly have all the answers about what the program needs, offer your services as a consultant. I'm sure they'll immediately recognize your expertise (being a guru and all) and reward you handsomely for the opinions you offer here for free. It's a wonder they haven't contacted you already.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Better yet, go straight to the source. Because you clearly have all the answers about what the program needs, offer your services as a consultant. I'm sure they'll immediately recognize your expertise (being a guru and all) and reward you handsomely for the opinions you offer here for free. It's a wonder they haven't contacted you already.

I'd gladly do it for free...that's how much I love MU BB...they have my #, I'm a season ticket holder..I'd be happy to take their call.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2019, 05:08:21 PM »
I'd gladly do it for free...that's how much I love MU BB...they have my #, I'm a season ticket holder..I'd be happy to take their call.

Unless you have experience as a Division I college basketball coach, scout, recruiter, analyst or athletic director, I wouldn't hold your breath.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2019, 05:12:59 PM »
You love Marquette basketball the same way Lennie loved rabbits. Take a break dude.
No Finish Line

feedback