Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Izzo vs wojo  (Read 6180 times)

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Izzo vs wojo
« on: March 21, 2019, 07:08:24 PM »
Not much to compare, but I did find it interesting that before the game there was an NCAA piece on Markus Howard and how he deals with his feelings, and stress of being a student athlete.

Right before the Markus Howard piece, there was a shot of Tom Izzo screaming at his player to the point that one of the MSU players was getting in between them during the Bradley game

My personal preference, I rather have the izzo type of coach.  Tough love, and less coddling

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Izzo vs wojo
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »
Not much to compare, but I did find it interesting that before the game there was an NCAA piece on Markus Howard and how he deals with his feelings, and stress of being a student athlete.

Right before the Markus Howard piece, there was a shot of Tom Izzo screaming at his player to the point that one of the MSU players was getting in between them during the Bradley game

My personal preference, I rather have the izzo type of coach.  Tough love, and less coddling
Wojo is not even qualified to shine Izzos shoes
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 07:13:57 PM »

What Izzo did crossed a line. HOF coach or not you don't go that far. That was Bob Knight-esque.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 07:16:00 PM »

Hear, hear. Whatever happened to the rub some dirt in it ethos? This used to be a great f#cking country.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 07:22:01 PM »
There are many ways to win, styles of play, personalty types, temperaments. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 07:25:16 PM »
Wait. People think Wojo is soft and coddling?

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 07:27:19 PM »
C'mon man, ya gotta admit Wojo chit da bed a peed down his leg, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 07:28:26 PM »
What Izzo did crossed a line. HOF coach or not you don't go that far. That was Bob Knight-esque.

Damn right it crossed a line. It made a young man look deep inside of himself to find that reservoir of pride and self-respect. It triggered a visceral response in an underachiever to rise to the occasion.

This individuality nonsense is a bunch of crap. The bilous bastards who wrote that stuff about individuality for the Saturday Evening Post don't know anything more about real battle than they do about fornicating.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 07:29:29 PM »

Like a pukin' dog, hey Doc?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
Wojo is not even qualified to shine Izzos shoes

True.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 07:39:02 PM »
Wait. People think Wojo is soft and coddling?

Lol.

I’ve heard the opposite on Wojo.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 07:51:53 PM »
I’ve heard the opposite on Wojo.

Yup.

That’s fine. So complain about his game plan, his inability to right the ship, etc. But complaining because he coddles his players and doesn’t get on them like a HOF a coach? What are we even talking about? Just crying to cry.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 08:14:09 PM »
I love that we have this thread.

Then Another thread describing a public video of wojo doing the exact same thing as izzo.

So. Which is it?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 08:39:22 PM »
Izzy is lucky he wasn’t fired for the transgressions at MSU during the rampant sexual assault nonsense going on in East Lansing.  Point blank, he would have if not for his success in March.  Bobby Knight treatment
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 08:41:00 PM »
I love that we have this thread.

Then Another thread describing a public video of wojo doing the exact same thing as izzo.

So. Which is it?

Wojo wasn't doing the exact same thing as Izzo.  Not even close.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2019, 08:41:44 PM »
Izzy is lucky he wasn’t fired for the transgressions at MSU during the rampant sexual assault nonsense going on in East Lansing.  Point blank, he would have if not for his success in March.  Bobby Knight treatment

This. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 08:49:59 PM »
What kind of a thread is this? No contest!

fjm

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 09:16:27 PM »

Cheeks. Don’t be dumb!!! As another poster said, better to be criminals and win than lose and be decent. (Sorry not quotes guy fieri’s dad. Ps again. Went to your sons restaurant in Vegas. Had 1 drink, didn’t rise food cause the drinks were trash.)

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 09:24:51 PM »
I agree with this! His commitment during the fiasco were ignorant. He seems like a dumb jock.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 10:05:28 PM »
Cheeks. Don’t be dumb!!! As another poster said, better to be criminals and win than lose and be decent. (Sorry not quotes guy fieri’s dad. Ps again. Went to your sons restaurant in Vegas. Had 1 drink, didn’t rise food cause the drinks were trash.)

That poll the other day told me pretty much what I needed to know.  It's fine, I get it.  About 15% to 20% don't care about the school, etc...basically want a minor league club, do whatever it takes, if you ain't cheating you ain't trying, a few bad eggs is worth it.   Unfortunately they are following the wrong program now, I wonder when they will realize it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 12:37:29 AM »
I don’t know why anyone would support mistreating players (or any human being). Screaming in someone’s face and needing to be held back due to violent aggressive behavior has no place in sports. It wouldn’t motivate me.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 03:11:33 AM »

Tough love is an oxymoron.  What was coach Wooden?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 11:22:14 AM »
Tough love is an oxymoron.  What was coach Wooden?
A cheater.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 11:44:42 AM »
WhiteTrash

Great reply.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 12:04:41 PM »
A cheater.

Never proven he had any role and he won far before Sam Gilbert came on to the scene.  He used to berate his players to stay away from Gilbert.