Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Izzo vs wojo  (Read 6181 times)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
Re: Izzo vs wojo
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 12:16:31 PM »
It wouldn’t motivate me.

Which is why izzo wouldn't have done it to you. I suspect he knew  Henry could handle it. Same reason Lombardi was constantly screaming at Hornung but would never ever criticize Starr.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 02:09:44 PM »
Not much to compare, but I did find it interesting that before the game there was an NCAA piece on Markus Howard and how he deals with his feelings, and stress of being a student athlete.

Right before the Markus Howard piece, there was a shot of Tom Izzo screaming at his player to the point that one of the MSU players was getting in between them during the Bradley game

My personal preference, I rather have the izzo type of coach.  Tough love, and less coddling

Probably because you're not confident enough to do things on your own without being yelled at. Sorry for you.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 11:37:20 PM »
Probably because you're not confident enough to do things on your own without being yelled at. Sorry for you.

Right, because my profession is definitely tailored for people with lack of confidence.  Good call.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 11:43:12 PM »
  He used to berate his players to stay away from Gilbert.

He berated them? thought Wooden didn't do that sort of thing. Anyway, whatever (if anything) he did to keep his players away from Gilbert was a total failure. Not surprising, since Gilbert was a big reason they came to UCLA in the first place.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 11:48:24 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26334855/msu-players-defend-izzo-screaming-incident

Players calling it “a badge of honor”

"It was a good point for Michigan State,'' Livers said as the Wolverines prepared for Saturday's second-round game against Florida, also in Des Moines. "My parents and I thought I didn't need to go somewhere I was going to be babied. It was a hard decision I had to make.

"I respect his style so much. Coach [John Beilein] won't do that in front of the cameras but he will definitely do that behind closed doors. It's just tough love. It's college basketball. If you're not getting yelled at, it means the coach has kind of like given up on you.''

Izzo:
You've got to appreciate there's a year and a half of recruiting. There's a year he's been here now. There's hours and hours and hours spent on, 'What do you want to accomplish? What do you need to do to accomplish that? What do you need to do to help our team win?' If you don't do those things, what do you think my job is?''

These kids must have some serious mental issues..  I mean how can anyone want to play for someone so vile, and mean. 

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 01:10:50 AM »

Wow. Talk about fallacious logic!

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2019, 04:55:11 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26334855/msu-players-defend-izzo-screaming-incident

Players calling it “a badge of honor”

"It was a good point for Michigan State,'' Livers said as the Wolverines prepared for Saturday's second-round game against Florida, also in Des Moines. "My parents and I thought I didn't need to go somewhere I was going to be babied. It was a hard decision I had to make.

"I respect his style so much. Coach [John Beilein] won't do that in front of the cameras but he will definitely do that behind closed doors. It's just tough love. It's college basketball. If you're not getting yelled at, it means the coach has kind of like given up on you.''

Izzo:
You've got to appreciate there's a year and a half of recruiting. There's a year he's been here now. There's hours and hours and hours spent on, 'What do you want to accomplish? What do you need to do to accomplish that? What do you need to do to help our team win?' If you don't do those things, what do you think my job is?''

These kids must have some serious mental issues..  I mean how can anyone want to play for someone so vile, and mean.

As the kids go thru the process from grammar school they have been yelled at by coaches. 
Over the years the volume has been amped up.  Now they are tone deaf.  Therefore, over the top yelling.

Marine Corps boot camp is no different.  BUZZ ran a boot camp, what was that all about?  I don't recall that he ever went to Parris Island.  BTW there is very little yelling in the pentagon, I have never heard so much whispering, its the culture,  but the exception always proves the rule. 

To listen to some of the midgrade officers around here you would think that all that goes on in the mikitary is yelling to be heard.

Yelling coaches is part of the act, image, performance expectation.  If coach is not red under the collar then he is not doing his job.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:58:17 AM by vogue65 »

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 07:53:56 AM »
Hard to argue with the results of “yelling coaches”

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2019, 07:58:38 AM »
Right, because my profession is definitely tailored for people with lack of confidence.  Good call.

bruh you're a glorified bus driver.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »

bruh you're a glorified bus driver.

Most of the time, you’re absolutely right.  ;)  I get paid for the times things aren’t going as planned.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 08:16:59 AM »
Most of the time, you’re absolutely right.  ;)  I get paid for the times things aren’t going as planned.

8-) I'm gunna go fly my little Cessna 150 now

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2019, 08:18:52 AM »
8-) I'm gunna go fly my little Cessna 150 now

8-)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2019, 11:54:57 AM »
I made a comment on a mesage board about two people I work with that are completely rude and unprofessional, after a very long day working with these two people. The not so funny thing about this is the two men I vented about have since been fired since I made the comment for getting in a physical altercation in the parking lot after leaving work.

While your comment about the two men may have been accurate, your generalization of an entire group of people was disgusting. And your description of the two men could have been made without even alluding to their race/ethnicity.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2019, 12:05:04 PM »
He berated them? thought Wooden didn't do that sort of thing. Anyway, whatever (if anything) he did to keep his players away from Gilbert was a total failure. Not surprising, since Gilbert was a big reason they came to UCLA in the first place.

Wrong.  Gilbert came into the picture after UCLA had already won a few titles, so Wooden had already proven the coaching chops. 

I’m going off what Alcinder, Wilkes, etc said Wooden chastised them to stay away from Gilbert.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire