[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Wheeling Jesuit  (Read 4674 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: Wheeling Jesuit
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 12:00:40 PM »
Hoping they can survive or find a merger partner.

Interesting. Who would there be to merge with in Wheeling, WV? Its not like NYC or Chicago where there are similar schools.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »
Interesting. Who would there be to merge with in Wheeling, WV? Its not like NYC or Chicago where there are similar schools.

The most "similar" nearby school -- and I'm defining similar primarily as private/Catholic -- is Franciscan University of Steubenville.  That's less than 30 miles away.  I'd be surprised if they merged.  Honestly, I'm curious what advantage there would be for any school to merge with WJU -- what would they bring to the table?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2019, 12:44:25 PM »
The most "similar" nearby school -- and I'm defining similar primarily as private/Catholic -- is Franciscan University of Steubenville.  That's less than 30 miles away.  I'd be surprised if they merged.  Honestly, I'm curious what advantage there would be for any school to merge with WJU -- what would they bring to the table?

Ah, I suppose that would potentially work...as a satellite campus or something. Although Franciscan University of Steubenville is kind of the antithesis of a Jesuit University.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:46:29 PM by Coleman »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2019, 01:41:20 PM »
Ah, I suppose that would potentially work...as a satellite campus or something. Although Franciscan University of Steubenville is kind of the antithesis of a Jesuit University.

Yeah, they are two very different schools.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 02:06:19 PM »
It was announced today that WJU will lose its Jesuit affiliation following this academic year. So I'd imagine if it's still open next year, it's gotta get a new name.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 03:57:53 PM »
It was announced today that WJU will lose its Jesuit affiliation following this academic year. So I'd imagine if it's still open next year, it's gotta get a new name.

Sounds like it’s all but over. Sad.

I’d guess that whatever school exists after next year - if anything - will share little more than real estate with WJU.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 08:16:48 PM »
Jon Beilein needs to step up
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2019, 07:18:49 AM »
This may open up some potential merger partners .Maybe they could now become the Wheeling Campus for Duquesne.

Eliminate the duplicative administrative overhead and they could be off and running.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2019, 07:33:46 AM »
The problem is the debt load on their buildings and that the Wheeling area has lost half its population over the last 50 years.  Duquesne would probably prefer those students just transfer up to Pittsburgh. Assuming they have room for them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2019, 11:42:30 AM »
The problem is the debt load on their buildings and that the Wheeling area has lost half its population over the last 50 years.  Duquesne would probably prefer those students just transfer up to Pittsburgh. Assuming they have room for them.

Diocese of Wheeling owns the buildings. They forgave the university's debt, and rent the entire campus back to them for like $2500 a month, which is about the same as my mortgage payment.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2019, 11:53:58 AM »
Diocese of Wheeling owns the buildings. They forgave the university's debt, and rent the entire campus back to them for like $2500 a month, which is about the same as my mortgage payment.

OK thanks.  Didn't see that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow