[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Another millennial thread...  (Read 27732 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Another millennial thread...
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2019, 11:34:48 AM »
Just flew for 7 hours over the atlantic, my seat mate, a millennial, said, "hi".

That is so cool.   Insanely jealous.   I hope you enjoyed the peace and tranquility and used the time to rest and ponder life's big questions.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »
That is so cool.   Insanely jealous.   I hope you enjoyed the peace and tranquility and used the time to rest and ponder life's big questions.   

He spent 7 hours playing video games and he was in his early 20's.  My wife speaks Italian, I don't, all I do is eat real food without additives, ponder life's big questions and listen to the bell's tolling.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »
Just flew for 7 hours over the atlantic, my seat mate, a millennial, said, "hi".

Consider yoself lucky, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2019, 08:40:27 AM »
He spent 7 hours playing video games and he was in his early 20's.  My wife speaks Italian, I don't, all I do is eat real food without additives, ponder life's big questions and listen to the bell's tolling.

We're the video games in Italian?  If so, does Mario speak with a heavy English accent in the Italian version?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #231 on: April 10, 2019, 07:51:18 AM »
Nice crossover between the generational thread, the Kap/Nike thread, and the investing thread.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-05/what-s-gen-z-and-how-can-you-invest-cannabis-influencers-key

Investors’ Guide to Gen Z: Weed, Social Justice and Kylie Jenner

<snip>

Apparel brands looking to connect with younger shoppers have tried embracing edgier brand ambassadors, a departure from the days when consumer companies went to great pains to avoid politics. That's because Gen Z actually wants corporations to take a stand on issues, with 40 percent saying they’d pay more for a product if they knew the company was promoting gender equality issues and 42 percent for racial justice initiatives.

Nike understands. Last year, it released an ad featuring Colin Kaepernick, and while the inclusion of the controversial quarterback-turned-activist initially spooked investors, the shares have since rebounded. And there are indications that ads have helped boost sales.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #232 on: April 10, 2019, 08:23:16 AM »
Breaking news:  Maslow's Hierarchy has been updated:

Have some patience, FFS.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2019, 08:50:10 AM »
Ha ha, excellent.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #234 on: April 10, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
Breaking news:  Maslow's Hierarchy has been updated:

To be fair this is something that is for everyone, not just gen y and gen z. Heck last summer I had to tell my mom to stop texting during a wedding ceremony.
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
To be fair this is something that is for everyone, not just gen y and gen z. Heck last summer I had to tell my mom to stop texting during a wedding ceremony.

Exactly, its funny to see phone obsession be chalked up to a millennial thing when they certainly aren't the ones posting endless mobile updates to Facebook and charging stations in public areas/restaurants/airports/etc... are certainly not catering to a singular age demo.

Can also guarantee that when you heard a phone beeping or ringing in a quiet area where it should be not, odds are its not a millennial or younger.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 10, 2019, 11:24:42 AM »
Exactly, its funny to see phone obsession be chalked up to a millennial thing when they certainly aren't the ones posting endless mobile updates to Facebook and charging stations in public areas/restaurants/airports/etc... are certainly not catering to a singular age demo.

Can also guarantee that when you heard a phone beeping or ringing in a quiet area where it should be not, odds are its not a millennial or younger.

To what extent is the mirroring of Millennial "interests/obsessions" by older generations potentially the result of the "middle-age crisis" or related phenomenon? 

In other words, to what extent is a 50 year-old's Facebook/Instagram obsession being triggered as a coping mechanism vs. being an actual interest?  When I used to hang out at Aladdin's Castle in my teens, I never recall seeing anyone in there over 30... but walk into a Starbucks, and half the people in there hashtagging are just a few years away from being hooked up to a catheter.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 10, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »

Yeah my mom is on Facebook wayyyyy more than I am. I actually think the peak demographic for activity (not necessarily members, just those who are on like every day) is ages 40-60, conservative males and suburban moms (at least in the USA)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:07:08 PM by Coleman »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2019, 03:23:29 PM »
Nike understands. Last year, it released an ad featuring Colin Kaepernick, and while the inclusion of the controversial quarterback-turned-activist initially spooked investors, the shares have since rebounded. And there are indications that ads have helped boost sales.

This was an example of two things in investing:

1. Noise. As is almost always the case, it's best ignored.

2. An investing opportunity. Thanks to those who couldn't ignore noise, the price was temporarily driven down by knee-jerk yahoos spooked by the relative small number of angry consumers screaming, "I'll never buy another Nike product!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #239 on: April 10, 2019, 04:03:47 PM »
...spooked by the relative small number of angry consumers screaming, "I'll never buy another Nike product!"

Who, six months later, quietly replaced the Nike shoes they had burned in protest, thus boosting Nike’s sales.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2019, 04:58:45 PM »
To what extent is the mirroring of Millennial "interests/obsessions" by older generations potentially the result of the "middle-age crisis" or related phenomenon? 

In other words, to what extent is a 50 year-old's Facebook/Instagram obsession being triggered as a coping mechanism vs. being an actual interest?  When I used to hang out at Aladdin's Castle in my teens, I never recall seeing anyone in there over 30... but walk into a Starbucks, and half the people in there hashtagging are just a few years away from being hooked up to a catheter.

IMO. The universality of the connected lifestyle is the primary culprit. We are only still a matter of years into most citizens having access to high speed internet and optimized content on their smartphones - a device through which a person consumes most of their advertising and learns most about what interest them. The lifestyle of a typical elderly person used to be quite different than their younger counterparts, and now, not as much. I wouldn't say it has to do with a lust for "mellenial lifestyle".

All of the primary tech players research and invest heavily across all age demographics. This wasn't always the case as computer literacy used to be highly focused among younger people.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2019, 05:08:40 PM »
Who, six months later, quietly replaced the Nike shoes they had burned in protest, thus boosting Nike’s sales.

Or, in my case, made Nike the first place I looked when I needed new shoes/polo/etc before moving on to other places if I couldn't find what I wanted through Nike.   Just to tick off the people I knew it would tick off. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2019, 11:07:03 PM »
IMO. The universality of the connected lifestyle is the primary culprit. We are only still a matter of years into most citizens having access to high speed internet and optimized content on their smartphones - a device through which a person consumes most of their advertising and learns most about what interest them. The lifestyle of a typical elderly person used to be quite different than their younger counterparts, and now, not as much. I wouldn't say it has to do with a lust for "mellenial lifestyle".

All of the primary tech players research and invest heavily across all age demographics. This wasn't always the case as computer literacy used to be highly focused among younger people.

I actually agree with this a lot.  Younger people/millennials are always the early adopters, so it became a hallmark of their age group.  But as technology, connectivity, smartphone power grew more commonplace, adoption of those devices and similar habits expanded rapidly.

My 90 year old Grandmother used both a smartphone and an iPad for any number of activities and is quite attached to both.  I can assure you it has nothing to do with lusting for a younger lifestyle.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
Or, in my case, made Nike the first place I looked when I needed new shoes/polo/etc before moving on to other places if I couldn't find what I wanted through Nike.   Just to tick off the people I knew it would tick off.

I love their child sweat labor workforce....that’s why I go to Nike first.....teal not necessary
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

feedback