[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Graduate transfers  (Read 13645 times)

onepost

• All American
Re: 2019 Graduate transfers
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »
I'll be blunt. Anyone who thinks MU was a courtesy add by Mannion is very mistaken. Not sure where that narrative is coming from.

There are two big ifs in this hypothetical, will Miller get fired and if he does, would Nico reopen his recruitment. If both of those ifs happen, MU would be a major player for Nico's services.

Odds on the first if seem pretty solid. Odds on the second if are unknown. No one is advocating that we hold a schollie for Nico or saying that it is likely, but we will likely know about the two ifs long before we can fill that last schollie so what's the harm in some speculation?

Exactly.  We weren't a courtesy option and I don't know why so many are quick to say we were.

There are crapty optics surrounding every aspect of Sean Miller's program: a terrible season, 3 assistant coaches suspended/fired (our guy Phelps being the lead on Mannion), an upcoming court date, and restless boosters.  It's more likely than not he's gone.  If that happens, and Nico opts off the sinking ship, why are we discounting that he'd have legit interest in his runner-up option from 6 months ago?  Who both he and his father were overwhelmingly complimentary of when he chose Arizona.

I'm all for being realistic with our remaining scholarhips, but there's a greater than 0% chance it happens.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2019, 07:33:45 PM »
 @EvanDaniels: Xavier just picked up a commitment from Ohio transfer Jason Carter. Averaged 16.5 PPG & 6.7 RPG this past season. Eligible immediately.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2019, 09:00:15 PM »
@EvanDaniels: Xavier just picked up a commitment from Ohio transfer Jason Carter. Averaged 16.5 PPG & 6.7 RPG this past season. Eligible immediately.

X is good at landing these guys.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2019, 10:37:58 PM »
Former MUBB player traci carter is transferring

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2019, 10:47:46 AM »

Really nice pickup for Xavier. Versatile 6'8" forward with two years of eligibility, yet doesn't have to sit out a year. Xavier has a ton of talent coming in.

Providence has made a nice grad transfer addition already as well. Luwane Pipkins, a 5-foot-11 point guard from Chicago, led the UMass offense for the last three seasons. He averaged 16 points and 5.2 assists this past season after averaging 21.2 points a game in 2018. Down year shooting last year from 3, but lit Prov up for 20, 30 and 26 over the past few seasons. I saw him play in high school. Very dynamic player who I'm sure bigger programs stayed away from due to size, but he can clearly score. He reminded me of Maurice Acker a bit. On an I'm sure related note, regular starter Makai Ashton-Langford announced he's transferring from Prov.

Amazing how quickly this occurs, and how big the transfer market has become. Has to be a nightmare for coaches to keep tabs on so many more players, though I suppose it does provide opportunities for quicker fixes than would otherwise be available.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2019, 11:56:58 AM »
Former MUBB player traci carter is transferring

He was never going to be a great player (only averaged like 6 pts/game at La Salle), but having another back-up guard like Traci Carter (or, for that matter Haanif Cheatam) would have really helped this year's team.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2019, 04:59:25 PM »
Probably not. But Arizona's coach is on the hot seat. Odds seem to be that he will be fired. When coaches are fired, recruits often reopen their recruitment. If Nico were to reopen his recruitment, there is a 100% chance that Marquette will reach out to him. I'm not betting on Nico coming here, but it doesn't some like an idea worthy of being laughed out loud at.

His high school coach told me Marquette was the runner-up and that his agreement with UofA includes an out of the coach is fired.  Of course, Miller would have to be fired, he’d have to re-open his recruitment, and we’d have to beat all others with interest.  Given Miller hasn’t been fired yet, it’s looking like 0% chance

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
Sure.  But an Arizona kid would keep a Milwaukee school on his list...why?  He wants a free trip to awesome Milwaukee, WI sometime?  Doesn't pass the smell test.  He's getting paid best by Marquette?  I wouldn't put cheating past any school, but I would say there are a number of schools that were in on Nico's list that I would think that about first.  Local kid?  Well, we know that's not true.  Has family a family history with the school?  Not that I'm aware of.  I have no idea where the fake interest would come from for Marquette in Nico's case.

I’ve been told that Nico’s bedtime stories growing up were of great basketball teams, and he’s always loved the stories of Marquette’s quirky coach Al.  So it’s not just a random school
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 01:19:28 AM by AZMarqfan »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2019, 07:39:46 PM »
Really nice pickup for Xavier. Versatile 6'8" forward with two years of eligibility, yet doesn't have to sit out a year. Xavier has a ton of talent coming in.

Providence has made a nice grad transfer addition already as well. Luwane Pipkins, a 5-foot-11 point guard from Chicago, led the UMass offense for the last three seasons. He averaged 16 points and 5.2 assists this past season after averaging 21.2 points a game in 2018. Down year shooting last year from 3, but lit Prov up for 20, 30 and 26 over the past few seasons. I saw him play in high school. Very dynamic player who I'm sure bigger programs stayed away from due to size, but he can clearly score. He reminded me of Maurice Acker a bit. On an I'm sure related note, regular starter Makai Ashton-Langford announced he's transferring from Prov.

Amazing how quickly this occurs, and how big the transfer market has become. Has to be a nightmare for coaches to keep tabs on so many more players, though I suppose it does provide opportunities for quicker fixes than would otherwise be available.

How things change.  Langford was a top 50 recruit, then lost his starting job to freshman David Duke, another top recruit.  Drew Edwards, another player who saw significant time, also leaving Providence. 

feedback