[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 Graduate transfers  (Read 13630 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2019 Graduate transfers
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »
The ship has sailed.  Nico isn't coming to Marquette.

If Miller is fired and Nico re-opens his recruitment, why has the ship sailed on the school that seemingly was his second choice?

I'm not saying you're wrong, just interested in your reasons.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2019, 10:06:05 AM »
Probably not. But Arizona's coach is on the hot seat. Odds seem to be that he will be fired. When coaches are fired, recruits often reopen their recruitment. If Nico were to reopen his recruitment, there is a 100% chance that Marquette will reach out to him. I'm not betting on Nico coming here, but it doesn't some like an idea worthy of being laughed out loud at.

Yah, like I said, Nico isn't coming here. People have been saying that Miller will get fired for a couple years now.  It may happen, it may not.  Nico recently said that he's as committed to going to Arizona as ever, but honestly, that is what I would I expect him to say.

If Miller does get fired, Nico may open up his recruitment, and Marquette will reach out.  He may also elect to stay in Arizona with their new coach. But to just assume Marquette will get him when pretty much every blue blood will also be after him is laugh out loud worthy IMO.  But feel free to think its a legit possibility if that tickles your fancy. Obviously I would love to be wrong, but I just don't see it as anything more than like a 0.0005% chance. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »
Yah, like I said, Nico isn't coming here. People have been saying that Miller will get fired for a couple years now.  It may happen, it may not.  Nico recently said that he's as committed to going to Arizona as ever, but honestly, that is what I would I expect him to say.

If Miller does get fired, Nico may open up his recruitment, and Marquette will reach out.  He may also elect to stay in Arizona with their new coach. But to just assume Marquette will get him when pretty much every blue blood will also be after him is laugh out loud worthy IMO.  But feel free to think its a legit possibility if that tickles your fancy. Obviously I would love to be wrong, but I just don't see it as anything more than like a 0.0005% chance.

Well, Marquette was in his final two in September when pretty much every blue blood was after him.
I'd say it's far from a lock or even a good chance if he would to re-open his recruitment, but I don't see how MU goes from runner up in the fall to virtually no chance in the spring.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »
Great argument 😩
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2019, 10:31:27 AM »
Well, Marquette was in his final two in September when pretty much every blue blood was after him.
I'd say it's far from a lock or even a good chance if he would to re-open his recruitment, but I don't see how MU goes from runner up in the fall to virtually no chance in the spring.

Especially after the Tweet Mannion's dad sent out to Stan after Nico committed about how he and Marquette are pure class and Nico saying Stan was the toughest person to tell about his decision.  Not to mention my guess is Thurl Bailey has even more positive things to say about Brendan's experience at Marquette now that he's been through a full basketball season in the program.

My guess for the most likely scenario is Miller is not the coach at Arizona next season, Nico reopens his recruitment, and Arizona, Duke, and Marquette are the top three options with other blue bloods throwing their names into the hat as well.  And if I had to guess Arizona will get a splashy name and Nico will recommit to the hometown team.  But this FBI thing isn't going anywhere for Sean Miller.  There's a much bigger difference between "People have heard Ayton was paid" and a subpoena for an FBI case.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if Miller gets fired, Arizona doesn't have to release Nico from his LOI right?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2019, 10:35:04 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if Miller gets fired, Arizona doesn't have to release Nico from his LOI right?

Correct.  But if Nico asks to be released, he will be released.

Nico's dad was quoted as saying coach Phelps played a big role in Nico's recruitment to Arizona but his dream to play for Arizona and Sean Miller is still in line.  If you remove Sean Miller the two guys that recruited him are gone.  But the state school is still there.  I would guess he opens up his recruitment but leaves Arizona on his list and sees what the coaching staff looks like before any final decision is made.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:38:31 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2019, 10:37:35 AM »

Refusing to release a kid works out never for the school. Ask Buzz how that went with Tyshawn Taylor.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2019, 10:47:43 AM »
Refusing to release a kid works out never for the school. Ask Buzz how that went with Tyshawn Taylor.

I'm just pointing out the sequence of events that would have to happen for Nico to end up in Milwaukee.

Miller, and his staff, have to be fired.
Nico has to ask for his release.
Arizona has to grant his release.
Wojo/Stan have to be out a plethora of Blue Bloods that will be after him immediately.

I'm with J's on this one, chances are less than 1% he end up here.  You don't save a scholarship for a less than 1%.  If there's a grad transfer that's a good fit, you take him, even if it means having no room for Nico.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2019, 10:50:43 AM »
I'm just pointing out the sequence of events that would have to happen for Nico to end up in Milwaukee.

Wojo/Stan have to be out a plethora of Blue Bloods that will be after him immediately.

I'm with J's on this one, chances are less than 1% he end up here.  You don't save a scholarship for a less than 1%.  If there's a grad transfer that's a good fit, you take him, even if it means having no room for Nico.

Not sure anybody here said anything about saving a scholly for Nico.

Chances aren't great, but I don't see why they would be less than 1% once it gets past the step of him getting his release.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »
Who knows the answer to the question, but I have always thought recruiting is a 'yes' or 'no' question.  Being the last 'no' doesn't necessarily put you high on the list if the recruit wants to go somewhere else.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:14 AM »

If number 1 was to happen. Number 2 is very likely and number 3 is going to happen.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:50 AM »
Who knows the answer to the question, but I have always thought recruiting is a 'yes' or 'no' question.  Being the last 'no' doesn't necessarily put you high on the list if the recruit wants to go somewhere else.

Sure.  But an Arizona kid would keep a Milwaukee school on his list...why?  He wants a free trip to awesome Milwaukee, WI sometime?  Doesn't pass the smell test.  He's getting paid best by Marquette?  I wouldn't put cheating past any school, but I would say there are a number of schools that were in on Nico's list that I would think that about first.  Local kid?  Well, we know that's not true.  Has family a family history with the school?  Not that I'm aware of.  I have no idea where the fake interest would come from for Marquette in Nico's case.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2019, 11:03:42 AM »

I don't think your math is correct.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2019, 11:06:38 AM »
Sure.  But an Arizona kid would keep a Milwaukee school on his list...why?  He wants a free trip to awesome Milwaukee, WI sometime?  Doesn't pass the smell test.  He's getting paid best by Marquette?  I wouldn't put cheating past any school, but I would say there are a number of schools that were in on Nico's list that I would think that about first.  Local kid?  Well, we know that's not true.  Has family a family history with the school?  Not that I'm aware of.  I have no idea where the fake interest would come from for Marquette in Nico's case.

Do you mean the first time around?  I would guess its all the things that get us to be bridesmaids so often in the hearts of recruits & moms - Wojo + Stan | a solid team projected | Playing time | NBA arena | Good history of Pro's.

It would seem that all of these 'nice things' tend to lose out to $$$$ or Jordan/Nike has a limit to what they will pay for kids to play at MU (if we assume everyone is in on it).

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2019, 11:08:44 AM »
If number 1 was to happen. Number 2 is very likely and number 3 is going to happen.

Key word here.  All of the Nico to MU scenarios hinge on multiple "ifs".  What "if" Miller isn't fired.  Arizona certainly doesn't have the reputation of being a school with a ton of high moral standards.  What "if" Nico doesn't re-open his recruitment, he knows that he's only going to be at school for a year, and Arizona certainly has a reputation for putting kids in the NBA, what "if" that's most important to him.  What "if" Duke, or Kansas come calling and he decides to go there for the same NBA reasons.  I'm not sure people have even been so obsessed about a kid that has signed for another school. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
I don't think your math is correct.

Like I said, I'd love to be wrong.  I just don't see it happening at this juncture.  And even if all the dominoes fall and Nico is available again, is he really going to want to come share the backcourt with Markus?  I am guessing that is a reason why he chose Arizona to begin with, beyond the fact that its his dream school, an Arizona kid coming up to cold and snowy Milwaukee (yes, I know Markus is from AZ), passing on a laundry list of other awesome options, etc. 

If it happens....awesome.  I think its a pipedream.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
Like I said, I'd love to be wrong.  I just don't see it happening at this juncture.  And even if all the dominoes fall and Nico is available again, is he really going to want to come share the backcourt with Markus?  I am guessing that is a reason why he chose Arizona to begin with, beyond the fact that its his dream school, an Arizona kid coming up to cold and snowy Milwaukee (yes, I know Markus is from AZ), passing on a laundry list of other awesome options, etc. 

Agreed, time to move on from Nico, just like Grimes.  Even if Markus does not come back, MU will be fine with 3 guards coming in.  Markus does have a lot to work on
in the passing game, and his D is very questionable at best.  He needs another year in college, but we will see.  It is great he is still very young.  Might enjoy college,
but I do believe he should put his name into the draft to see where he stands.  I see late second round. 

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2019, 11:29:51 AM »

+1000

Mannion isn’t, and wasn’t, ever going to come here.  If he reopens his recruitment, he’ll end up at Duke, UNC, Kansas, or another blue blood.  He certainly won’t come to a school where he’ll have to share the backcourt with a senior superstar who’s going to put up 20+ shots per game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2019, 11:32:03 AM »
+1000

Mannion isn’t, and wasn’t, ever going to come here.  If he reopens his recruitment, he’ll end up at Duke, UNC, Kansas, or another blue blood.  He certainly won’t come to a school where he’ll have to share the backcourt with a senior superstar who’s going to put up 20+ shots per game.

So why'd he bother keeping Marquette on his list all the way down to his top 2?

If he was a Milwaukee kid choosing Arizona and he kept Marquette on his list all the way to his final 2, THAT makes sense.  If he was "never coming to Marquette" why is he keeping them on his list and dropping Duke, Nova, etc?  Just doesn't add up.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
From what I know, MU had legit chance of landing Nico. It was not entirely window dressing. Not sure if that means a helluva lot or not, but they had a shot
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:12:18 PM by Goose »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2019, 12:10:21 PM »
+1000

He won't come to MU because he'd have to share the backcourt with another great player, but he had MU in his top 2 with that same great player in the backcourt?
And he'll go to Duke, Kansas or UNC, because those teams don't have good players in their backcourts?
I have no idea what MU's chances might be (and I'd be surprised if he de-commits from Arizona in the first place), but some of the rationales you guys are offering up are bad.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2019, 12:41:39 PM »
Being in someone's top 2 or 3 or whatever number doesn't really matter unless you're in the top 1.  Could have simply been that that Mannion family loved Wojo and Stan, and that kept them up there...but he was never super serious about actually going to Milwaukee for a year.  Who knows.  Its best to move on and for the staff focus on guys who actually have a chance of being on the team next year. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »
So, about those grad transfers...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2019, 01:07:27 PM »
I'll be blunt. Anyone who thinks MU was a courtesy add by Mannion is very mistaken. Not sure where that narrative is coming from.

There are two big ifs in this hypothetical, will Miller get fired and if he does, would Nico reopen his recruitment. If both of those ifs happen, MU would be a major player for Nico's services.

Odds on the first if seem pretty solid. Odds on the second if are unknown. No one is advocating that we hold a schollie for Nico or saying that it is likely, but we will likely know about the two ifs long before we can fill that last schollie so what's the harm in some speculation?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback