[Today at 06:19:23 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:47:36 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can we blame the refs now?  (Read 15381 times)

94Warrior

• All American
Re: Can we blame the refs now?
« Reply #150 on: March 17, 2019, 12:10:49 AM »
It took them 8 minutes and replay to determine that.  Good lord, why were the officials even on the court?

The refs spent the better part of 8 minutes trying to figure out how not to eject Powell from the game.  And, congratulations to them - they did just that.

Apparently, they discovered that if you have 2 flagrant fouls you are ejected, if you have two technicals you are ejected, if you have 1 of each you get to keep playing (but only if the fight is not considered 'a fight').  Who knew?   

Again, congratulations they did it, and it only took 8 minutes. 
The NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations around, and the Big East no different.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:12:39 AM by 94Warrior »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #151 on: March 17, 2019, 12:58:22 AM »
The refs spent the better part of 8 minutes trying to figure out how not to eject Powell from the game.  And, congratulations to them - they did just that.

Apparently, they discovered that if you have 2 flagrant fouls you are ejected, if you have two technicals you are ejected, if you have 1 of each you get to keep playing (but only if the fight is not considered 'a fight').  Who knew?   

Again, congratulations they did it, and it only took 8 minutes. 
The NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations around, and the Big East no different.

The ncaa is made up of member schools as is the Big East.  Each school has a vote.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »
Wasn't that lead ref the same ahole that T'd up Buzz for falling?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2019, 03:32:31 PM »
Wasn't that lead ref the same ahole that T'd up Buzz for falling?
Yes

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2019, 03:48:28 PM »
Yes, this was a badly officiated game affectimg the quality of play on both sides for much of the game. Markus is our key guy but clearly playing banged up enough to have to leave for the locker room for a while. He was held in check by this and a solid team of defenders including Myles Powell.
Powell is their key guy and was held in check for much of the game by Sacar.
The "incident" is a head scratcher but goes back to my first point.
Okay, we were jobbed. Powell caught a break and is a thug. Life is unfair.
This team plays like a team and now has a chip on it's shoulder at just the right time. Markus can rest his sore body and ice the wrist. He is a deserving BE POY. I am very proud of his leadership and his character. 
I'll take him, the Hauers, Sacar, Theo/Ed against any starting five the NCAA matches them with in the first round. After they win that one one, make it two rounds, then....   

Big tuna

• Walk-On
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2019, 03:56:10 PM »
The refs were all veteran guys we see a lot, but they're usually the second or third guy combined with somebody better to limit the damage they can do. To go with these 3 together in a big game was really bad call by Big East.  Especially when they had pat Driscoll (who may be annoying but at least has lot of big game experience...final fours etc.) Sitting at the scorers table all night as a backup.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2019, 08:28:33 PM »

Big East refs dropped the ball
By Howie Kussoy March 16, 2019 | 6:11am

https://nypost.com/2019/03/16/big-east-refs-dropped-the-ball/

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2019, 08:57:58 PM »
Big East refs dropped the ball
By Howie Kussoy March 16, 2019 | 6:11am

https://nypost.com/2019/03/16/big-east-refs-dropped-the-ball/

Well, he says they were bad, but he doesn't say biased or unfair to us.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2019, 09:51:20 AM »
Well, he says they were bad, but he doesn't say biased or unfair to us.

He is in the fraternity, what do you want him to say?  Read between the lines.  The man needs his job, I don't.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
I'm clearly biased, but I believe the officiating 100% favored Hall until about the last 120 seconds when it suddenly switched drastically to benefiting Marquette. My exhibits:

1. The clear hack on Sacar's dunk attempt that wasn't called
2. The hard foul on Markus on the breakaway layup that wasn't called
3. The flagrant 1 instead of 2 on Powell's intentional elbow
4. The treating Sacar clapping more harshly than Powell throwing an elbow
5. The goaltend on John that was a clean block (watched on slow mo a few times, he got the ball cleanly before it hit the backboard)
6. The phantom 3rd foul on John that was called with no time on the clock, that was upheld despite review
7. No technical for Nelson despite blindsiding Sacar with a shove
8. Calling a flagrant 2 on John
9. Not calling two fouls on Powell after the scuffle that would have fouled him out
10. No technical for McKnight when he elbowed Markus in the face (was given a personal foul)
11. Missed McKnight shoving Markus with two hands to get open on an inbounds play
12. Don't remember where but missed an obvious travel on a fast break (tried to jump stop but took two extra steps) that led to a Powell three

There were a lot bad calls that went our way, especially at the end, but early I think it was very favored towards Seton Hall. I don't think that was intentional, but just how it played out. Home court advantage is a thing.

Oh man, I forgot about the end of half foul call.  Seeing the replay at MSG, it looked like a super-clean block to me, the Nova fans in front of me and to my right, and the PC fans behind me.  Once the refs went to review if it came in time, I said to everyone that even if the foul wasn't called in time (which it wasn't), now the refs could at least use that to get rid of the foul, since they'll clearly see it was a horrendous call.

One point that I don't think I've seen brought up here (perhaps it is in another thread), I think the NCAA needs to revisit the ejection rules and the loophole that allowed Powell to stay on.  Forget for a second whether or not it should have been a F1 or F2.  But if two flagrants equals an ejection, and two technicals equals an ejection, then I think a flagrant and a technical should equal an ejection as well.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2019, 02:57:04 AM »
The refs were all veteran guys we see a lot, but they're usually the second or third guy combined with somebody better to limit the damage they can do. To go with these 3 together in a big game was really bad call by Big East.  Especially when they had pat Driscoll (who may be annoying but at least has lot of big game experience...final fours etc.) Sitting at the scorers table all night as a backup.

It's not a bad call, it's called malicious intent

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2019, 07:05:59 AM »
If Theo's brush of Powell while he was already out of control was malicious intent then Powell's elbow on Sacar was attempted homicide

feedback