[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2019 Coaching Carousel  (Read 199154 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: 2019 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1150 on: May 22, 2019, 02:35:55 PM »
Avery Johnson went to Southern, not Alabama. Dale Brown kicked himself for looking past Johnson and signing Fess Irvin back in the day.

The biggest strikes against Wardle are:
1) recruiting -- a major program has to take a leap of faith that he can get that done despite little/no evidence of his ability to recruit at a high level. 
2) he hasn't won enough: He won a tourney last season, hooray for catching a bit of lightning in a bottle in a poor league. Yet Bradley finished a 9-9 in the MVC last season, was 9-9 the year before, 7-11 before that. He built something at UWGB -- something that led him to ..... Bradley.   

There is little evidence that he has a high ceiling as a coach.  He still has time to make that case.

Bradley is a significant step up, and the MVC is one of the better mid-majors. I remember when Buzz left, one of the sentiments regarding him was to prove it somewhere other than GB. He's doing that. Historically, Bradley is on par with programs like Wichita State & Creighton. If he can keep them near the top of the MVC for 2-3 years, he'll likely be moving on up again.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1151 on: May 22, 2019, 02:36:24 PM »
Avery Johnson went to Southern, not Alabama. Dale Brown kicked himself for looking past Johnson and signing Fess Irvin back in the day.

The biggest strikes against Wardle are:
1) recruiting -- a major program has to take a leap of faith that he can get that done despite little/no evidence of his ability to recruit at a high level. 
2) he hasn't won enough: He won a tourney last season; hooray for catching a bit of lightning in a bottle in a poor league. Yet Bradley finished a 9-9 in the MVC last season, was 9-9 the year before, 7-11 before that. He built something at UWGB -- something that led him to ..... Bradley.   

There is little evidence that he has a high ceiling as a coach.  He still has time to make that case.

I'm not just referring to people taking over at their alma maters but former NBA players in general.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #1152 on: May 22, 2019, 02:45:09 PM »
Looks like the Michigan job is Howard's if he wants it.

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein
Sources: Michigan has offered its head coaching position to Miami Heat assistant Juwan Howard. The two sides have begun negotiations. Deal remains far from done.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1153 on: May 22, 2019, 02:46:27 PM »
Bradley is a significant step up, and the MVC is one of the better mid-majors. I remember when Buzz left, one of the sentiments regarding him was to prove it somewhere other than GB. He's doing that. Historically, Bradley is on par with programs like Wichita State & Creighton. If he can keep them near the top of the MVC for 2-3 years, he'll likely be moving on up again.

Bradley has not been on par w Creighton in decades. Bradley has 2 NCAA bids in the last 30 years (14 for CU). 

Wardle has time, but to this point he has an overall losing record in the MVC and hasn't finished higher than 5th in the league. Next season is his chance to make the leap though.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1154 on: May 22, 2019, 03:04:13 PM »

The Valley has been bad the last two years, worst it’s been in decades.  Bradley hasn’t been consistently good since Hersey Hawkins was there.  If Wardle didn’t have ties to Marquette, no one would want him as the next coach here. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1155 on: May 22, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »
Let's also be clear,  Bradley finished tied for 5th in a very down MVC. They got hot in the MVC tourney and won the at large bid. This season was not a convincing bullet point on the resume for me. Wardle may get there eventually, but I would be disappointed if we hired him as HC at this point.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1156 on: May 22, 2019, 04:11:49 PM »
I think the only reason people want/like wardle is because he's an alum and they feel that would bring stability. Sure, maybe it would, but it would also probably bring less than acceptable results. You don't hire a Coach just for stability reasons, if he isn't going to produce at a high level.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1157 on: May 22, 2019, 04:23:55 PM »
Wardle is not necessarily who I want.  After watching the high level hires this off-season, I think that he, or someone like him, is who Marquette would likely get.   Michigan, UCLA, SJU all thought they would get their first choice.  Why should Marquette expect different?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1158 on: May 22, 2019, 04:46:25 PM »
Wardle is not necessarily who I want.  After watching the high level hires this off-season, I think that he, or someone like him, is who Marquette would likely get.   Michigan, UCLA, SJU all thought they would get their first choice.  Why should Marquette expect different?

Michigan, UCLA and SJU didn’t get their first choices in part because they all went after guys who’d had significant success as high major head coaches. 

Historically, Marquette has gone after high major assistants. I don’t know why that would change the next time we look for a coach, unless perhaps Wardle has more success at Bradley.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1159 on: May 22, 2019, 05:13:14 PM »
Michigan, UCLA and SJU didn’t get their first choices in part because they all went after guys who’d had significant success as high major head coaches. 

Historically, Marquette has gone after high major assistants. I don’t know why that would change the next time we look for a coach, unless perhaps Wardle has more success at Bradley.

A number of posters here believe that's exactly the type of coach Marquette should/can get

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1160 on: May 22, 2019, 05:37:19 PM »
I think the only reason people want/like wardle is because he's an alum and they feel that would bring stability. Sure, maybe it would, but it would also probably bring less than acceptable results. You don't hire a Coach just for stability reasons, if he isn't going to produce at a high level.
Wojo is not producing at a high level, so that should play into your philosophy.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #1161 on: May 22, 2019, 06:42:00 PM »

Keefe must be conflicted by Juwan's statement this evening that Michigan will continue to develop young men "on the court, in the classroom, and in the community."

After all, when it's Marquette pursuing that M.O....it's because it is a foundational "excuse" for mediocrity.
Michigan issues this statement and it's another sign of the "world~class" academic utopia that is Ann Arbor.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1162 on: May 22, 2019, 07:28:16 PM »

And yet some Scoopers think all we have to do is say, "Come and get it!" and the best of the best established NCAA high-major coaches will be knockin' down our door.

Those same Scoopers would have been outraged if we had hired somebody with the kind of resume Beard had at the time Texas Tech hired him.

Our best coach since Al was a yokel who had one bad season as a low-major head coach and otherwise was a vagabond assistant.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1163 on: May 22, 2019, 08:27:54 PM »
And yet some Scoopers think all we have to do is say, "Come and get it!" and the best of the best established NCAA high-major coaches will be knockin' down our door.

Those same Scoopers would have been outraged if we had hired somebody with the kind of resume Beard had at the time Texas Tech hired him.

Our best coach since Al was a yokel who had one bad season as a low-major head coach and otherwise was a vagabond assistant.

Yup.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1164 on: May 22, 2019, 08:31:52 PM »

All true - except that those who consider Buzz a yokel do it at their own peril.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1165 on: May 22, 2019, 09:37:40 PM »
All true - except that those who consider Buzz a yokel do it at their own peril.

Well, he's not gonna reach through the computer and hit me, and he isn't gonna shoot my dog, so I don't think it's very perilous for me to do so.

If you don't like "yokel," how about if I just say he was a "nobody"? It's a credit to him that a guy who nobody had heard of and who had accomplished nothing of any note in college basketball went on to be a very fine coach.

Let's talk turkey, Lenny ... when Wojo leaves or is fired, if we replace him with a guy who was 14-17 at a Sun Belt school in his only season as a college head coach and otherwise had been an assistant at 6 schools, never staying more than 4 years at any of them, will you be saying, "Wow! I can't believe we were lucky enough to land that guy!"

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #1166 on: May 22, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »

Selena Gomez? Can she coach defense?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1167 on: May 22, 2019, 10:15:20 PM »
Well, he's not gonna reach through the computer and hit me, and he isn't gonna shoot my dog, so I don't think it's very perilous for me to do so.

If you don't like "yokel," how about if I just say he was a "nobody"? It's a credit to him that a guy who nobody had heard of and who had accomplished nothing of any note in college basketball went on to be a very fine coach.

Let's talk turkey, Lenny ... when Wojo leaves or is fired, if we replace him with a guy who was 14-17 at a Sun Belt school in his only season as a college head coach and otherwise had been an assistant at 6 schools, never staying more than 4 years at any of them, will you be saying, "Wow! I can't believe we were lucky enough to land that guy!"
I am fine with Yokel. Describes the circumstance well.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #1168 on: May 23, 2019, 08:53:12 AM »
for a school that still has the Fab Five cloud looming Pitino is the last guy they would consider.

That said, UM has as much money to spend as any program in the country. Big Ten network money, huge donors (e.g., Stephen Ross). Depending on how Brad Stevens is feeling after the disaster that is the past season UM could make a serious push for him.

The cloud was so thick they accidentally hired one of the members.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #1169 on: May 23, 2019, 09:14:30 AM »
There’s more to coaching than Xs and Os and I think that’s where Wardle is unqualified.

There’s a more well known alum, who served as an MU assistant for a couple years, has a phenomenal Wisconsin bloodline and played several years in the NBA. I’d rather roll the dice with Travis Diener than Brian Wardle.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1170 on: May 23, 2019, 09:25:57 AM »
The cloud was so thick they accidentally hired one of the members.

Great line.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1171 on: May 23, 2019, 09:40:51 AM »
There’s more to coaching than Xs and Os and I think that’s where Wardle is unqualified.

There’s a more well known alum, who served as an MU assistant for a couple years, has a phenomenal Wisconsin bloodline and played several years in the NBA. I’d rather roll the dice with Travis Diener than Brian Wardle.
I just do not see either of them being successful recruiters.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1172 on: May 23, 2019, 10:48:04 AM »
Mite bee tyme wee hire a brotha, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1173 on: May 23, 2019, 11:15:29 AM »
No way U of M hires Wojo. In fact, the word "Wojo" will never ever be mentioned inside the Fleming building.

Mark Schlissel is a gifted leader with a significant record of world-class accomplishment. He would never make such a pedestrian mistake.

You are correct. He made a worse one.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1174 on: May 23, 2019, 11:19:52 AM »

You are correct. He made a worse one.

a very interesting comment in The Athletic's article:

"Howard’s hiring at U-M makes him the lone black men’s basketball coach in the 14-school Big Ten Conference. The league has been without one since Rutgers fired Eddie Jordan in March 2016."

Meanwhile, in the Big East there are five (Anderson, Ewing, Leito, Jordan, Cooley).  It kind of makes me think of the MU hire with Kreiger and now Duffy being the only female WBB coaches in the conference.

This hire could succeed, but I see it more likely blowing up a la Mullin.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”