[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Depression and anxiety among NBA players  (Read 5308 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Depression and anxiety among NBA players
« on: March 04, 2019, 10:19:30 PM »
Adam Silver says it is generational, not just a NBA thing.  He may be on to something

https://www.boston.com/sports/nba/2019/03/01/adam-silver-sloan-nba-unhappy
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Depression and anxiety among NBA players
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 10:53:09 PM »
The levels of individualism and cutthroat competition might be generational. I'll let others debate that.

But depression, anxiety and other forms of mental illness have always been around, and often have genetic and familial lineage that leads to tenacious persistence across generations. IMHO the most significant change is the increase in recognition and treatment because of the (gradual) destigmatization of mental illness.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 11:48:49 PM »
The levels of individualism and cutthroat competition might be generational. I'll let others debate that.

But depression, anxiety and other forms of mental illness have always been around, and often have genetic and familial lineage that leads to tenacious persistence across generations. IMHO the most significant change is the increase in recognition and treatment because of the (gradual) destigmatization of mental illness.

I wonder with today’s technology, our push to be with people less and digitially more, has that impacted our well being?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 07:27:38 AM »

Definitely. For example, I think it is  a relatively recent determination that a lot of people express anxiety as anger, so a lot of people in the past who were simply written off as having an explosive temper are now recognized as suffering from anxiety.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 08:38:13 AM »
Definitely. For example, I think it is  a relatively recent determination that a lot of people express anxiety as anger, so a lot of people in the past who were simply written off as having an explosive temper are now recognized as suffering from anxiety.

Agree with this (and what Gooo said).

And regarding another popular Superbar thread maybe some Scoopers would like to amend their Bob Knight comments. A genius with undiagnosed mental health issues is a little more sympathetic than a monster that some portray.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 09:09:28 AM »

And regarding another popular Superbar thread maybe some Scoopers would like to amend their Bob Knight comments. A genius with undiagnosed mental health issues is a little more sympathetic than a monster that some portray.

That certainly is possible about Knight, Lenny.

Kind of as with my investing, the only things I can operate under are "known knowns." So while it's very generous of you to state that this might have been a possibility with Knight, I'm not going to give him a pass for choking, shoving and kicking 18-22 year olds because he might have had a mental illness.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 09:21:46 AM »
That certainly is possible about Knight, Lenny.

Kind of as with my investing, the only things I can operate under are "known knowns." So while it's very generous of you to state that this might have been a possibility with Knight, I'm not going to give him a pass for choking, shoving and kicking 18-22 year olds because he might have had a mental illness.

Might have a mental illness?  FFS, he coached at IU.  Case closed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 09:32:57 AM »
Might have a mental illness?  FFS, he coached at IU.  Case closed.

True, true.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »

I'm not going to give Knight a pass for his behavior because "Who knows, maybe he had a mental illness." By that standard, maybe nobody should be criticized or face consequences for any behavior because, who knows, maybe he/she was mentally ill.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 10:19:32 AM »
Scoop is a place for us to self-medicate, hey?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 10:26:20 AM »
I'm not going to give Knight a pass for his behavior because "Who knows, maybe he had a mental illness." By that standard, maybe nobody should be criticized or face consequences for any behavior because, who knows, maybe he/she was mentally ill.

I don't excuse his (or anyone's) bad behavior. But when I see someone who can be both a disciplined genius and an out of control maniac my first instinct isn't to praise or condemn - it's to scratch my head and wonder why.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »

You can still be criticized if you refuse to deal with it and it is harming others.

If you are doing your best to treat it with therapy, medication, coping mechanisms, etc., I am going to respect you a lot more than a person who says. "F*ck you!  It's just the way I am! If you don't like it, stop doing things that set me off!"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 11:39:43 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »
I don't excuse his (or anyone's) bad behavior. But when I see someone who can be both a disciplined genius and an out of control maniac my first instinct isn't to praise or condemn - it's to scratch my head and wonder why.

Bob Knight isn't exactly a man of mystery. There have been multiple books, magazine articles and even a 30 for 30 that delved into his life story and what makes him tick.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »
A truly reprehensible human being who physically assaulted young men under his charge just because they didn't play basketball the way he wanted them to.

Yes, he might have been mentally ill. Hitler and Dahmer might have been mentally ill, too. And no, I'm not saying Knight was as bad as Hitler and Dahmer; just not loving the "might have been mentally ill" defense.

Jon

• All American
  • Fire Wojo!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 11:58:54 AM »
Adam Silver says it is generational, not just a NBA thing.  He may be on to something

Perhaps it's all the sport f#cking those guys do that ultimately cheapens the sexual experience in general.

My God, can a man imagine a scenario as depressing as turning down a superior piece of tail to stay in and watch Gilligan's Island reruns?

Depressing does not begin to do justice to such an alarming eventuality. I guess a man drinking Dom Perignon every day ultimately pushes away from the bar.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 11:59:09 AM »
You can still be criticized if you refuse to deal with it and it is harming others.

If you are doing your best to treat it with therapy, medication, coping mechanisms, etc., I am going to respect you a lot more than a person who says. "F*ck you!  It's just the way I am! If you don't like it, stop doing things that set me off!"

Bingo.

The best a person can do is the best a person can do. If the person has a mental illness and is doing everything he/she can do to treat it, who are we to say they are "bad" people?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 12:08:15 PM »

Agreed. But geniuses (and rich people) seem to generally have plenty of admirers/hangers on telling them "you're OK, in fact you're great!". And in Knight's generation mental health issues carried a much greater stigma than they do today.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 12:12:48 PM by Lennys Tap »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 12:12:01 PM »
Agreed. But geniuses (and rich people) seem to generally have plenty of admirers/hangers on telling them "you're OK, in fact you're great!". And in Knight's generation mental health issues carried a much greater stigma than it does today.

And was diagnosed a lot less often as well.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 12:13:24 PM »
And was diagnosed a lot less often as well.

True.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »
My God, can a man imagine a scenario as depressing as turning down a superior piece of tail to stay in and watch Gilligan's Island reruns?

I've been told that the number of professional athletes who have been feigning such attraction for decades is disproportionately higher than that of the general population.

So no imagination necessary, apparently.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 02:33:01 PM »

I think it is partially generational. My generation seems to be "more stressed". My 2 cents is that the connectedness has driven a lot of this - we are more plugged in and yet more siloed and disconnected at at the same time.

In the context of the NBA, that the players are so connected to the fans is both a blessing and a curse.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 03:42:09 PM »

+1000

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 08:32:57 PM »
A truly reprehensible human being who physically assaulted young men under his charge just because they didn't play basketball the way he wanted them to.

Yes, he might have been mentally ill. Hitler and Dahmer might have been mentally ill, too. And no, I'm not saying Knight was as bad as Hitler and Dahmer; just not loving the "might have been mentally ill" defense.
j

Mike, we get it....you don't like him.

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 09:39:29 PM »
I was in a 2 year relationship with a guy that was diagnosed bipolar. It is a truly frightening thing to experience someone with mental illness not on their medication and clearly unable to control their behavior. It was literally like a flip of a switch- one moment happy and energetic and the next in a fit of rage.

On other hand mental illnesses such as depression and anxiety don’t manifest  themselves with sudden outbursts of anger. Most sufferers tend to withdraw, and when properly medicated lead completely normal lives.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2019, 10:08:05 PM »
Mike, we get it....you don't like him.

But I do like Real Chili! Nothing reprehensible about that delicious concoction!!