[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grinding out a win on a night of upsets  (Read 9372 times)

tower912

• All American
Grinding out a win on a night of upsets
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:10:23 PM »
1.   Rebounding was an issue early.    They turned it around.   
2.  The Hausers weren't great.    But they were enough.    Still need them to get back on track.    Joey could not handle McDermott. 
3.   Wojo standing with his hands on his hips looking at his team in disgust when he called timeout early in the second half.   He could not have been more (angry).  It must have worked.    That was when the comeback started.   
4.  Extended layoffs are not MU's friends.
5.  Theo stayed out of foul trouble.   Double double.   
6.  Sacar taking the foul at the end of the first half affected the second half.    Of course, it meant more minutes for Cain and Bailey.   So, it worked out, but that wasn't always a given. 
7.  Markus forced a couple.   He's earned that right.   
8.  Jamal Cain worked his butt off tonight.    Well done, young man.   
9.  Terrible way to close out the game against the press.   Joey fouling out hurt the press break. 
9.  Winning with defense = First place in the Big East.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenZebra

• All American
Re: Grinding out a win on a night of upsets
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 10:13:48 PM »
Real tough game at Providence, then Nova...and even SHU. How this team finishes is gonna be fun to watch.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:04 PM »
They ground it out for a tough win with D. Good playing by Jamal, we need to work on breaking the press. Good stuff Tower.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:49 PM »
Markus likes playing at Providence
Goal is National Championship

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 10:16:34 PM »
If one of our guys showed up a teammate the way McDermott did after picking up #4, how many Scoop threads would it start? How many slaps of five would be assigned as penance?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 10:16:59 PM »
Providence is a tough match up for us and they are riding high after clocking SJU.

Big game!!!

Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:10 PM »
I don't think it can be overemphasized how much that time out early in the second half changed the game.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:37 PM »
No easy games as it is desperation time for 8 teams in the BE.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 10:21:35 PM »
The best thing that can happen is what Friars did tonight, MU will realize it is no cupcake going there.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 10:22:40 PM »
Fun game. Frustrating for first 25 minutes but then turned in a HURRY. That's what this team can do. Fun defensive performance from Theo, Jamal and Anim

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 10:23:36 PM »
That fricking press break reminded me of the Crean era. Brutal.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 10:29:01 PM »
These guys prove game after game that they won't quit. Going down 8 early in the second half had me worried, but they really bounced back after the timeout. Great effort in the second half.

Feels good to be at the top!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 10:29:15 PM »
Again, if Theo John stays out of foul trouble and remains on the floor, this team is very, very dangerous. First game in long time, but only one foul, 15 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks.  Believe Morrow only saw a minute in second half.

Joey has gone from a frontrunner for BE Rookie of Year to not in last five games.  Hope the freshman wall gets broke starting next game. He did that frustration thing again tonight after a foul and Theo got in his face big time. But Cain played in his spot when MU made that run, so good for him. 

Seemed a lack of urgency or something in first half, but as long as they win by one more point, so be it.  Protect the home court. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 10:32:48 PM »
Defense did it for us tonight. Markus has us spoiled - you think he's having not that great of a night, then you see the stats. Great game for Theo - he seemed geared up to deal with Brunk the (forearm to the throat) Punk. Nice minutes from Jamal and it is sweet to see him playing well. Joey, not so much. I think the length/intensity of the college season has affected him. Bailey's shots were scary. Speaking of scary, imagine pressure on this team by elite athletes (on an elite team) such as might happen in the Dance. Wojo has some things to work on in that respect.

But a  win is a win is a win and a win by any other name would smell as sweet. Let's see how the guys can finish.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 10:39:52 PM »
What's up with Chartouny?  I get that Jamal has played better and is earning his increase in PT, but I didn't think JC looked bad when he got his chance in the first half.  Didn't get any second half minutes until Joey fouled out and we went without a big.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 10:42:54 PM »
What's up with Chartouny?  I get that Jamal has played better and is earning his increase in PT, but I didn't think JC looked bad when he got his chance in the first half.  Didn't get any second half minutes until Joey fouled out and we went without a big.

He made a bad turnover and Butler went a made a quick three.  That was it for him for the night. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 10:45:31 PM »
He made a bad turnover and Butler went a made a quick three.  That was it for him for the night.

Well Wojo has made it pretty clear that PT is dictated by defense and Joey was getting burned all night, and it's not exactly like McDermott is a post threat, I would have though that JC would have been a great candidate to chase him around the three point line.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »
The press break is a huge problem.  We would be embarrassed by an elite team with that kind of press break im the tourney. They better figure that out.  Was a huge wound to open up for people game planning for us

nyg

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 10:49:36 PM »
Well Wojo has made it pretty clear that PT is dictated by defense and Joey was getting burned all night, and it's not exactly like McDermott is a post threat, I would have though that JC would have been a great candidate to chase him around the three point line.

I only answered your question.  Thats what I recalled happened. 

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 10:49:52 PM »
I'm wildly speculating here, but I think Wojo left Joey in after some bad fouls to try and not destroy his confidence even further. Joey seems like the kind of player where getting pulled after a bad play would just compound the problem. You take the hits now so that Joey can grow as a player and learn how to get out of these funks.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 10:50:53 PM »
Lol I mean the reality is he's just not that good at all. Very slow and doesn't bring alot. That's why he doesn't play much

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 10:52:20 PM »
I only answered your question.  Thats what I recalled happened.

I wasn't trying to be snarky or anything I was just kinda surprised.  I agree with the decision to leave Sacar on Baldwin, but JC is our next best perimeter defender, and it was clear that Joey was not up to the task of chasing McD.  I think JC could have done that very well, and at least made his shots tougher.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 10:55:04 PM »
Lol I mean the reality is he's just not that good at all. Very slow and doesn't bring alot. That's why he doesn't play much

Joey is much slower than JC.  When someone is going off for 27, it's probably a good idea to throw a different defensive look at him, and it's not like JC could have been much worse than Joey tonight.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 10:58:54 PM »
What a fun fu*king ride.

That is all

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 10:59:46 PM »
That pass from Theo at the top of the key to Sacar in the corner for the 3 was real nice.

There's a reason teams don't urgently press all game.  They would get into foul trouble and worn out very quickly.  I'm not worried about it.  A lot of teams will look bad when a team is urgently pressing in the closing minutes of a game.  Good to have it happen when you defense is getting stops and you have a double digit lead than it is when you're up only 2 possessions and can't get stops.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter