Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Grinding out a win on a night of upsets  (Read 9345 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Re: Grinding out a win on a night of upsets
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2019, 08:59:15 AM »
The team from Pleasantville was pretty darned good.   Until they discovered sex.
Lets not forget that Hickory had that great 6th man, (maybe because they only had that many) Ollie, he of the underhanded free throw glory.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2019, 10:06:08 AM »
I don't think it can be overemphasized how much that time out early in the second half changed the game.

Was that the TO where Sam hit the rhythm three off the pick & pop then was himself again for the rest of the game? Because I loved that sequence

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2019, 10:15:01 AM »
Was that the TO where Sam hit the rhythm three off the pick & pop then was himself again for the rest of the game? Because I loved that sequence

Yep, that was part of the 8-0 run immediately following the TO that tied the game at 37.  Went Sam jumper, Theo 1-2 at the line, Sam 3, Theo hook shot, BU timeout.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »
The press break is a huge problem.  We would be embarrassed by an elite team with that kind of press break im the tourney. They better figure that out.  Was a huge wound to open up for people game planning for us

I want to be positive...we won and D was really good.
But I totally agree. Can you imagine Duke pressing us...we were worse than Louisville. I hope they make a point of working on this in practice...surprised Wojo really hasn't gotten this part of the coaching together yet....Breaking the press and in a lesser way, pressing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2019, 12:06:20 PM »
Can you name another game this season where we had trouble with the press?

Right now, it's a one-game sample size, and Joey wasn't on the court.

As Aaron Rodgers would say ...
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »
I want to be positive...we won and D was really good.
But I totally agree. Can you imagine Duke pressing us...we were worse than Louisville. I hope they make a point of working on this in practice...surprised Wojo really hasn't gotten this part of the coaching together yet....Breaking the press and in a lesser way, pressing.

In retrospect, I'm actually glad that Butler pressed us and we struggled a little bit with it.  That'll be great tape and motivation for Wojo and the staff to use to prepare for better teams in a situation where it didn't really matter.  Learning opportunities are great, and even better when they come from wins.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2019, 12:48:26 PM »
Can you name another game this season where we had trouble with the press?

Right now, it's a one-game sample size, and Joey wasn't on the court.

As Aaron Rodgers would say ...

I'm not going to try to go thru every game and see which ones...but had that thought against Kansas I believe and maybe it was Seton Hall.

I certainly remember thinking that "we need to get better against the press" while playing a couple of the low-lifes in the pre-season for sure.

I know its more than a one-game sample size...and it crystallized with the end of the Butler game. At the end of the season, we *should not* be that dis-organized.

I will say the two games  for Louisville (Duke,Clemson) was worse that what I see from Marquette.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2019, 12:50:06 PM »
Does anyone have a link to a replay of the game. Stupid CBSSN was crap last night on the computer.
Thanks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2019, 01:22:52 PM »
I'm not going to try to go thru every game and see which ones...but had that thought against Kansas I believe and maybe it was Seton Hall.

I certainly remember thinking that "we need to get better against the press" while playing a couple of the low-lifes in the pre-season for sure.

I know its more than a one-game sample size...and it crystallized with the end of the Butler game. At the end of the season, we *should not* be that dis-organized.

I will say the two games  for Louisville (Duke,Clemson) was worse that what I see from Marquette.

I won't doubt that there might have been another game or two where it didn't go great. I simply do not remember any struggles like last night. And, again, we didn't have Joey on the floor -- a tall kid who handles the basketball well, makes good decisions and hits FTs.

My list of concerns includes too many TOs, occasional rebounding lapses, Theo getting into foul trouble and Joey's struggles the last month or so. I am not especially concerned about our ability to handle the press; maybe I will be proven foolish on that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson