Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus & Joey  (Read 11332 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Markus & Joey
« on: February 13, 2019, 01:42:31 PM »
Joey has not been playing the way we all know he can play. During the game you could see Joey was frustrated with himself and during a play late in the game Markus got in Joey's face telling him not to be so down on himself and if I could read lips Markus was just telling him to stay focused. That is something Wojo's teams have been missing...upper classman leadership.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Markus & Joey
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »
U dont think juhuan  johnson or luke fisher were leaders?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 01:51:25 PM »
U dont think juhuan  johnson or luke fisher were leaders?

Hard to trust leaders that don’t take you to the NCAA tourney.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 01:52:23 PM »
i was just going to ask this question in a different thread-

was it encouraging joey or was it that joey almost took his frustration out on another player?  i am not insinuating in any way.  as markus got very demonstrative with joey, i was trying to do a mental replay of what had just happened previously.  i guess i could have used the dvr function, but...i didn't. 

if that was what markus was doing...that's really cool!!  leader of the pack eyn'a?
don't...don't don't don't don't

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 03:00:12 PM »
Before they cut to commercial, the last thing Markus was saying is, "You're fine!"  He was encouraging him, without a doubt.  Markus continues to impress in all ways. 

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 03:08:51 PM »
I did go back to watch the exchange again.  what i was able to read was "Hey, Listen to me, You're fine" as markus was grabbing joey's jersey.  That's some serious leadership.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 04:14:49 PM »
any one know where we can get a clip of this? the full game isn't on YouTube yet.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 04:26:17 PM »
Joey had just gotten fouled while missing a shot.  I could read Markus' lips saying "Don't do that!  Don't do that!  You're fine."  Joey had some body language showing that he was getting really frustrated and Markus clearly didn't want to see that.  Joey followed up by making both free throws.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 04:28:19 PM »

Before they cut to commercial, the last thing Markus was saying is, "You're fine!"  He was encouraging him, without a doubt.  Markus continues to impress in all ways.

+1000

Just an amazing kid. I have no idea what his future holds, but if the circumstances are right, I would LOVE to have him back with the program down the road. Maybe coaching, strength & conditioning, or whatever. Maybe even BOT someday like Ulice or Doc. The sky is the limit for Markus.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 04:43:35 PM »
+1000

Just an amazing kid. I have no idea what his future holds, but if the circumstances are right, I would LOVE to have him back with the program down the road. Maybe coaching, strength & conditioning, or whatever. Maybe even BOT someday like Ulice or Doc. The sky is the limit for Markus.

I agree.  Markus continues to grow as an impressive leader.  He will be successful in life. Joey is a tremendous player who has hit a freshman slump.  Hopefully, Markus and Sam can pull him out of it soon.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 04:45:08 PM »
Hard to trust leaders that don’t take you to the NCAA tourney.

Well, we did go to the NCAA tournament their senior year...

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 05:58:04 PM »
Joey had just gotten fouled while missing a shot.  I could read Markus' lips saying "Don't do that!  Don't do that!  You're fine."  Joey had some body language showing that he was getting really frustrated and Markus clearly didn't want to see that.  Joey followed up by making both free throws.

#FakeNews #Lies

Don't have to make up stories, bruh! (Especially about a FT being made or not made  -- #FTsNoMatta)

Joey missed the first, made the second.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:52 PM »
Replay is on Fox

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 06:58:55 PM »
#FakeNews #Lies

Don't have to make up stories, bruh! (Especially about a FT being made or not made  -- #FTsNoMatta)

Joey missed the first, made the second.

Totally bruh, points are like, totally no biggie.  Efficiency is all that matters bruh.  Bruh.  Get with it bruh.  Why would you care about converting uncontested points bruh. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 07:08:14 PM »
Totally bruh, points are like, totally no biggie.  Efficiency is all that matters bruh.  Bruh.  Get with it bruh.  Why would you care about converting uncontested points bruh.

There are lots of 'uncontested' points to be had. If FT's were 'free' and it was not true that #FTsNoMatta, history would show the average is always around 70%.

(btw, efficiency is based on points... the thing is, even a team with a bad FT% is extremely offensively efficient when it comes to shooting free throws. There isn't such a thing as 'an inefficient free throw shooting team'. There is one team shooting less than 59% this season out of 353 teams.. even their 56.7% results in very efficient offense)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 08:23:06 PM »
There are lots of 'uncontested' points to be had. If FT's were 'free' and it was not true that #FTsNoMatta, history would show the average is always around 70%.

(btw, efficiency is based on points... the thing is, even a team with a bad FT% is extremely offensively efficient when it comes to shooting free throws. There isn't such a thing as 'an inefficient free throw shooting team'. There is one team shooting less than 59% this season out of 353 teams.. even their 56.7% results in very efficient offense)

Bruh, you know I can't understand you when you don't bruh enough.  Bruh. 

But Bruh, Creighton has lost 2 huge games in OT.  I wonder if they would share your sentiment bruh, you know, as a still efficient, but worst FT shooting team in the conference. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:39:42 PM by buckchuckler »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2019, 09:59:00 PM »

This guy gets it.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 10:00:49 PM »
Bruh, you know I can't understand you when you don't bruh enough.  Bruh. 

But Bruh, Creighton has lost 2 huge games in OT.  I wonder if they would share your sentiment bruh, you know, as a still efficient, but worst FT shooting team in the conference.

What just happened here?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 10:11:31 PM »
What just happened here?

Honestly, I'm not quite sure.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 11:02:28 PM »
This guy gets it.

Nope. Jay Bee can be an arse about it, but on this point he is right. Team FT% matters very little in winning a basketball game. It's obviously better to shoot a better FT% than not, but it is a stat that gets a disproportionate amount of attention by fans. eFG%, OR%, TO%, and FTR. These are the stats that can truly impact a game.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 11:20:28 PM »
Nope. Jay Bee can be an arse about it, but on this point he is right. Team FT% matters very little in winning a basketball game. It's obviously better to shoot a better FT% than not, but it is a stat that gets a disproportionate amount of attention by fans. eFG%, OR%, TO%, and FTR. These are the stats that can truly impact a game.

Does it, though?  I rarely ever hear anyone discuss a team's free throw percentage.  With very rare exception, the only time free throw shooting is brought up is when it costs a team an individual game, in which case the free throw shooting very, very much mattered.  I hardly ever hear people discussing free throw percentage when talking about who could win a national title, who the favorite to win a certain conference are, when breaking down a matchup, etc.

So in reality, the only people really bringing up team season long free throw shooting percentages are those that cry about free throws not mattering...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 11:39:34 PM »
Does it, though?  I rarely ever hear anyone discuss a team's free throw percentage.  With very rare exception, the only time free throw shooting is brought up is when it costs a team an individual game, in which case the free throw shooting very, very much mattered.  I hardly ever hear people discussing free throw percentage when talking about who could win a national title, who the favorite to win a certain conference are, when breaking down a matchup, etc.

So in reality, the only people really bringing up team season long free throw shooting percentages are those that cry about free throws not mattering...

I'm way more interested in FT defense.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 11:43:59 PM »
During the timeout, 3 or 4 players were around Joey encouraging him.  Wojo pushed everyone away, and spent about 10 seconds talking to Joey as Joey was just nodding yes to everything that was said.  Both Nelson and Johnson were in his ear again leading out of the timeout.  This team seems to be in great hands.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 12:07:14 AM »
I'm way more interested in FT defense.

Way to SHAKE up this conversation!
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 12:18:42 AM »

The stats impact the game...or the game creates the stats, which leads to the perception that the stats are impacting the game?

feedback