'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Top 4 Seed Release 2/9  (Read 19829 times)

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
Re: NCAA Top 4 Seed Release 2/9
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:42 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that if we lost one more game and won out (including the BET) we would be a 2 seed. May even be in conversations for a 1 seed. Hell I think we could lose 2 more games (including BET) and still earn a 2 seed. We aren't the only team at the top that is going to lose games the rest of the way.

I think a 4 seed is now our ceiling after that SJU loss, we need to put together some wire to wire games and have thus far not really done that in conference, 

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 04:57:44 PM »
This is why the loss last night stings so much..had they won that and theb eat Nova Saturday, combined with MSU's struggles, MU very well might have been a two seed fairly easily. They could still get a #2 I suppose, but the margin for error is much thinner now and probably involves winning out(including BE tourney). At face value, sure it's one loss, but when you really break it down and think about the potential future ramifications(NCAA seeding), it's a devastating loss.

I totally agree , the loss hurt so bad and put much more pressure on all remaining games,  I could live with taking 1 of 2 from nova if we took the game last night,  that really may have changed the season significantly,  the ceiling has for sure been lowered.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 05:00:48 PM »
I think a 4 seed is now our ceiling after that SJU loss, we need to put together some wire to wire games and have thus far not really done that in conference,
Hope you don't mean literally. If we win out, we are a 2 seed...easy.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 05:03:49 PM »
winning out plus the BEAST tourney,  id love it but id say about zero chance for that with the way we cant seem to play a complete game and we have to face nova twice and barely survived a few of the other mediocre teams in the league,  we should be smashing some of these teams as a top 10 team. 

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 05:10:45 PM »
winning out plus the BEAST tourney,  id love it but id say about zero chance for that with the way we cant seem to play a complete game and we have to face nova twice and barely survived a few of the other mediocre teams in the league,  we should be smashing some of these teams as a top 10 team.

You mean like the way #7 MSU smashed the Illini?
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2019, 05:41:42 PM »
You mean like the way #7 MSU smashed the Illini?

And Indiana.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2019, 05:52:59 PM »
Doesn’t take much to get the crazies back out of the woodwork. 2 losses since Thanksgiving yet here we are...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2019, 05:56:38 PM »
And Indiana.

Yep. When I think of a top ten team who always seemed to blow everyone out I think of Nick Van Exel’s final year at Cincy. They had such so much swagger that they almost expeced lopsided wins. Just to fact-check myself I googled that 1992-93 game-by-game season. I was surprised to find out that even the teams that are “supposed to smash everyone” stumble. Their only losses other than to ranked Indiana and ranked Arizona were to Memphis and, drumroll......UAB, who handled them twice!! #15 Marquette gave them all they could handle at home, as they clipped our Warriors by 2 in a game I attended at the Shoe.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2019, 07:31:28 PM »
We could well slip to the 4 line in this, but I can't imagine us being left out of the top-16. When you get to resumes like Iowa State, Iowa, & LSU I think we have an edge.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 11:42:05 PM »
Doesn’t take much to get the crazies back out of the woodwork. 2 losses since Thanksgiving yet here we are...

Haven't you heard, wades? In all his time at Marquette, Wojo has yet to put together a 9-game winning streak in the BEast!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »
Haven't you heard, wades? In all his time at Marquette, Wojo has yet to put together a 9-game winning streak in the BEast!

Troll complaint list:
"Wojo Has Never Beaten A Ranked Team"
"Wojo Has Never Won A Tournament Game"
"Wojo Can't Coach Defense"
"Wojo Has Never Won Three Big East Games In A Row"
"Wojo Has Never Won A NCAA Game"
"Wojo Has Never Gone Deep In The NCAAs"
"Wojo Has Never Gone Deep In The NCAAs Without Markus Howard".

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 01:55:50 PM »
Troll complaint list:
"Wojo Has Never Beaten A Ranked Team"
"Wojo Has Never Won A Tournament Game"
"Wojo Can't Coach Defense"
"Wojo Has Never Won Three Big East Games In A Row"
"Wojo Has Never Won A NCAA Game"
"Wojo Has Never Gone Deep In The NCAAs"
"Wojo Has Never Gone Deep In The NCAAs Without Markus Howard".

"Wojo has never won a national championship."
"Wojo has never won back to back national championships."
"Wojo has never won back to back national championships without Markus Howard."

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 04:13:07 PM »
"Wojo has never won a national championship."
"Wojo has never won back to back national championships."
"Wojo has never won back to back national championships without Markus Howard."

"Wojo has never won a national championship."  - 2019
"Wojo has never won back to back national championships." - 2020
"Wojo has never won back to back national championships without Markus Howard." - 2022 @Duke    :o ::)

muguru

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that if we lost one more game and won out (including the BET) we would be a 2 seed. May even be in conversations for a 1 seed. Hell I think we could lose 2 more games (including BET) and still earn a 2 seed. We aren't the only team at the top that is going to lose games the rest of the way.

But this is it exactly Tamu, and why the loss to SJU hurts so much..now to get a #2(realistically) they HAVE to win out and that includes the BE tournament. I think prior to the SJU loss, they could have afforded a split with Nova and a trip to the BE Final and still gotten a #2 seed...now all that margin has been erased.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »
We could well slip to the 4 line in this, but I can't imagine us being left out of the top-16. When you get to resumes like Iowa State, Iowa, & LSU I think we have an edge.

You wanna see guru flip a gasket, literally?? If I see UW ahead of MU in this bracket reveal, my trust for the committee (and I had very little to begin with) will be totally and completely gone if that happens. Period.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »
But this is it exactly Tamu, and why the loss to SJU hurts so much..now to get a #2(realistically) they HAVE to win out and that includes the BE tournament. I think prior to the SJU loss, they could have afforded a split with Nova and a trip to the BE Final and still gotten a #2 seed...now all that margin has been erased.

You misread my post. I was saying that we don't need to win out to get a 2 seed. Without knowing what's going to happen, I think we could lose two more games and still get a 2 seed. It's possible that won't be enough but I think it will be.

The SJU loss didn't hurt more than any other loss except Kansas. In fact, it hurt less than either the Indiana or away St. John's loss did.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2019, 05:39:21 PM »
You misread my post. I was saying that we don't need to win out to get a 2 seed. Without knowing what's going to happen, I think we could lose two more games and still get a 2 seed. It's possible that won't be enough but I think it will be.

The SJU loss didn't hurt more than any other loss except Kansas. In fact, it hurt less than either the Indiana or away St. John's loss did.

I didn't misread...I knew what you were saying, I just don't think there is any way in hell MU could lose two more games and still get a two seed...just no way. Prior to the SJU loss, I would have agreed with you..Now, I feel like in order for it to even be possible, they can lose once more..To Nova...any other loss to anyone and forget it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2019, 05:58:28 PM »
You wanna see guru flip a gasket, literally?? If I see UW ahead of MU in this bracket reveal, my trust for the committee (and I had very little to begin with) will be totally and completely gone if that happens. Period.

It's possible. The resumes are close. UW has better computer numbers and the better win (Michigan). MU has more Q1 wins & the better losses. I spent a lot of time comparing those resumes the past couple days.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2019, 06:08:44 PM »
It's possible. The resumes are close. UW has better computer numbers and the better win (Michigan). MU has more Q1 wins & the better losses. I spent a lot of time comparing those resumes the past couple days.

It is possible for sure, but I think it would indicate the committee made a mistake. I think there's a decent gap between the 2 resumes. Only a few teams should separate MU and UW at this point, but to me there is a big gap between the top 13-14 teams and 15-25. I'd place MU in the backend of that first group and UW towards the top of the second group.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2019, 06:38:19 PM »
It is possible for sure, but I think it would indicate the committee made a mistake. I think there's a decent gap between the 2 resumes. Only a few teams should separate MU and UW at this point, but to me there is a big gap between the top 13-14 teams and 15-25. I'd place MU in the backend of that first group and UW towards the top of the second group.

I'd place that gap at 7. The top-7 are clear cut, then there's about 15-20 teams that you can make a case for from 8-16.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
I'd place that gap at 7. The top-7 are clear cut, then there's about 15-20 teams that you can make a case for from 8-16.

I should have been more clear. Top 7 are their own class. Then 8-13 I think is relatively clear cut. Just my opinion.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2019, 07:02:14 PM »

Not just a mistake, a HUGE mistake...UW has more overall losses, a head to head loss vs MU, and exactly ZERO non conference good wins(not impressed by NC State). If UW is ahead of MU it will be obvious the committee is strictly looking at numbers and not using any eye test at all. Because if you use the eye test and watch games like the committee claims to, there is NO possible way you can say watching the two teams that UW is a better team then MU. None whatsoever.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2019, 07:06:11 PM »
Yep. When I think of a top ten team who always seemed to blow everyone out I think of Nick Van Exel’s final year at Cincy. They had such so much swagger that they almost expeced lopsided wins. Just to fact-check myself I googled that 1992-93 game-by-game season. I was surprised to find out that even the teams that are “supposed to smash everyone” stumble. Their only losses other than to ranked Indiana and ranked Arizona were to Memphis and, drumroll......UAB, who handled them twice!! #15 Marquette gave them all they could handle at home, as they clipped our Warriors by 2 in a game I attended at the Shoe.
Man, I hated the Cincy teams of that era.  "Thugs" really was an apt description.  They would foul continuously and dare the refs to call half of them.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2019, 07:24:42 PM »
Not just a mistake, a HUGE mistake...UW has more overall losses, a head to head loss vs MU, and exactly ZERO non conference good wins(not impressed by NC State). If UW is ahead of MU it will be obvious the committee is strictly looking at numbers and not using any eye test at all. Because if you use the eye test and watch games like the committee claims to, there is NO possible way you can say watching the two teams that UW is a better team then MU. None whatsoever.

UW also has the better NET ranking, better kenpom ranking, best overall win (Michigan), more Q1A wins, more Q1+Q2 wins, and have done it against a tougher SOS.

You can make a case for either resume. Both have strong resumes.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2019, 07:36:07 PM »
UW also has the better NET ranking, better kenpom ranking, best overall win (Michigan), more Q1A wins, more Q1+Q2 wins, and have done it against a tougher SOS.

You can make a case for either resume. Both have strong resumes.

There resume yes, is probably better then MU's, but in no way shape or form are they better using the eye test..numbers can and do lie, always trust the eyes.

feedback