[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: NCAA Top 4 Seed Release 2/9  (Read 19826 times)

HowardsWorld

• All American
NCAA Top 4 Seed Release 2/9
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:37:36 AM »
Put this in the bacteriology thread but figured it could use its own thread since there will be discussion after Saturday moving forward to selection Sunday.

On Saturday (12:30 p.m. ET on CBS), the men's basketball committee will release its top 16 teams (through Friday's games) on the 3rd annual Bracket Preview Show.

This reveal will be very interesting compared to the past two years since Net Ranking will be the new tool to help evaluate teams. I fully expect Marquette to be on the 4 line but if not we can gauge how much Net Rankings truly mean. Will also be interesting from to see what a team like Nevada will be since their resume isn't that of a top 4 seed. Lots of questions will get answered on Saturday.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:45:48 AM by HowardsWorld »

DoctorV

• All American
Re: NCAA Top 4 Seed Release 2/9
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 11:57:02 AM »
This is a really nice pregame event for the National Marquette Day festivities, and will be even better if we win tomorrow.

Plenty of drinking games can be had. I, for one, look forward to making the most of this. Also, someone should let the committee know that it’s NMD so they can give MU the little boost that they deserve on such a day!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 12:39:46 PM »
Agree that this should help answer some questions about what NET will show and how the committee will use it.

Excited to win tomorrow, see where we stand Saturday early afternoon and then build on it by whuppin' Nova on NMD!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 12:56:58 PM »
Normally I scoff at this production,  but with Marquette possibly being listed I'm actually a little excited this year.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »
Normally I scoff at this production,  but with Marquette possibly being listed I'm actually a little excited this year.

Would be quite the travesty if we aren’t listed

Beat St John’s and I’ll be pretty ticked if we are not at least a 3
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 01:04:11 PM »

I actually wrote the original post as a 3 seed and changed it to a 4 based on where they are in Net Ranking. I do believe they are a 3 seed right now but if you got strictly on net ranking order they are 5 seed. We know based on RPI that they never rank the S curve strictly by RPI position which is why I bumped it up to a 4 but who really knows. If you look at T-Rank they are 32 so its possible we don't even see them on the Saturday. But thankfully all the questions i posed will be answered.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »
Every metric also has our rival to the west ahead of us by a decent margin. 6 in Net Ranking and 17 in T-Rank. They also have 3 more losses than us and lost the head to head match up.  Would not be surprised to see them on the 4 line. If that is true it will show how our conference is viewed as a whole and probably not in a good way.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 01:14:19 PM »
I actually wrote the original post as a 3 seed and changed it to a 4 based on where they are in Net Ranking. I do believe they are a 3 seed right now but if you got strictly on net ranking order they are 5 seed. We know based on RPI that they never rank the S curve strictly by RPI position which is why I bumped it up to a 4 but who really knows. If you look at T-Rank they are 32 so its possible we don't even see them on the Saturday. But thankfully all the questions i posed will be answered.

Yup we definitely could be a 4, I don’t thinj we should be with a SJU win but we could be. Would be nuts if we are not a top 4 tho.

We got a quality resume. Lots of wins. Very few losses. And we’d have that top 10 ranking too(doesn’t mean anything for seeding but puts us more in the eyes of discussion)
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »

I should've said strong possibility.   I think MU is a 3 with a win against St. John's and a 4 with a loss.

But with the NET, I am not sure what the committee will value most.  Maybe the committee only has Marquette as 4 right now. So a loss to St. John's could make Marquette drop from a 4 to a 5.

I would be absolutely stunned to see Marquette as a 2 seed.  MU doesn't have enough Q1A wins.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »
Every metric also has our rival to the west ahead of us by a decent margin. 6 in Net Ranking and 17 in T-Rank. They also have 3 more losses than us and lost the head to head match up.  Would not be surprised to see them on the 4 line. If that is true it will show how our conference is viewed as a whole and probably not in a good way.

Predictive metrics favor Wisconsin but Marquette is higher in resumè based metrics KPI and SOR.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »
I wonder if the loss puts us on the border of making this show?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 11:33:04 AM »
I wonder if the loss puts us on the border of making this show?

I'm guessing 3 seed still. Could be 4. Would be very surprised if we were left off. The resumes of projected 5 seeds really don't compare.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »
The resumes of projected 5 seeds really don't compare.

That's a good point.  There is a decent gap behind us.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »
That's a good point.  There is a decent gap behind us.

Soft Top 16 show bubble, aina?

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »
I wanted that 2 seed more than anything but if we don't get the two, it makes no difference to me if we get a 3,4,5,6 seed.  The first game while never a given as a 3,4,5,6 should be a mid major that we should beat. The round of 32 is when the real match ups happen. playing a 3-6 seed are all about the same to me. This team can still outscore anyone imo. Last night was just one of those nights.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 11:55:17 AM »
Wouldn't the drop in NET rankings affect the Top 4 seeds projection?

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »
Wouldn't the drop in NET rankings affect the Top 4 seeds projection?

No one knows how much stock the committee are going to place on Net Rankings. If they go strictly on net ranking MU is a 9 seed so I really doubt they go 100% on net.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 11:59:33 AM »
I wanted that 2 seed more than anything but if we don't get the two, it makes no difference to me if we get a 3,4,5,6 seed.  The first game while never a given as a 3,4,5,6 should be a mid major that we should beat. The round of 32 is when the real match ups happen. playing a 3-6 seed are all about the same to me. This team can still outscore anyone imo. Last night was just one of those nights.

I like the 3 more than the 4 or 5 because I usually want to put off facing the 1 as long as possible. Heck, one could argue that the 6 is better than the 5 or even 4 if one thinks one's team has a legit chance at making a run.

As for the seeding reveal, it will be even more interesting now to see if we're a top-4.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 12:00:41 PM »
No one knows how much stock the committee are going to place on Net Rankings. If they go strictly on net ranking MU is a 9 seed so I really doubt they go 100% on net.

I assume you meant 6 seed as we are currently 21.  That translates to #6.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 12:02:31 PM »
I like the 3 more than the 4 or 5 because I usually want to put off facing the 1 as long as possible. Heck, one could argue that the 6 is better than the 5 or even 4 if one thinks one's team has a legit chance at making a run.

As for the seeding reveal, it will be even more interesting now to see if we're a top-4.

If we had won last night I would have bet my life that we were on the list as a 2, 3, or 4. Now I don't have a clue. I am hopeful and they surely deserve to be based on resume and only 4 losses but stranger things have happened.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »
I assume you meant 6 seed as we are currently 21.  That translates to #6.

I meant 9 but I used t-rank not net ranking. Clicked on the wrong site.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 12:07:54 PM »
I still think Marquette is right in the 10-15 range overall,  so a 3 or 4 seed right now.

We will have to see how the committee values NET vs quadrant wins.  Marquette has 4 Q1B wins, and a couple Q1A.

The NET might drag us down a bit but our quality wins should be enough to be a 4 seed at this point.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 02:48:31 PM »
I still think Marquette is right in the 10-15 range overall,  so a 3 or 4 seed right now.

We will have to see how the committee values NET vs quadrant wins.  Marquette has 4 Q1B wins, and a couple Q1A.

The NET might drag us down a bit but our quality wins should be enough to be a 4 seed at this point.

This is why the loss last night stings so much..had they won that and theb eat Nova Saturday, combined with MSU's struggles, MU very well might have been a two seed fairly easily. They could still get a #2 I suppose, but the margin for error is much thinner now and probably involves winning out(including BE tourney). At face value, sure it's one loss, but when you really break it down and think about the potential future ramifications(NCAA seeding), it's a devastating loss.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that if we lost one more game and won out (including the BET) we would be a 2 seed. May even be in conversations for a 1 seed. Hell I think we could lose 2 more games (including BET) and still earn a 2 seed. We aren't the only team at the top that is going to lose games the rest of the way.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 04:55:36 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that if we lost one more game and won out (including the BET) we would be a 2 seed. May even be in conversations for a 1 seed. Hell I think we could lose 2 more games (including BET) and still earn a 2 seed. We aren't the only team at the top that is going to lose games the rest of the way.

Maybe a 2, I dont see road to a 1 seed this year. The big east is really weak outside of the top 3.