[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN BS  (Read 13706 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: ESPN BS
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 10:30:53 AM »
The Big East has built a very cohesive and readily identifiable brand with a persistent TV viewership base.  As such when the renewal comes up there will definitely be multiple bidders. I not only expect the dollars to be attractive but I also expect the terms to be enhanced. For example a number of league games are on Fox Broadcast, that could possibly go up. Also the junior partner CBS Sports networks puts a handful of games on CBS Broadcast and that may go up. With the track record in place the bids  will be tighter and the Big East may very well end back up at ESPN.

A little unrelated, but one thing that bugs me is that the FS1 studio guys don't always champion the Big East as much as they should, IMO>   

Like last night they were talking about number of bids.  Stone, Jackson and Jacobson concluded that the Big East will get 2-3 bids, and max out at 4.  Like c'mon.  I've said this repeatedly, but the Big East is more likely to get 6 bids than 2 bids.  6 is becoming unlikely, but 5 is still in the cards if SHU, SJU and one of PC/Butler/Creighton can separate themselves.  They need to be more positive.  Just because Howie fukin' Schwab has 2 Big East teams in and 8/10 Big 12 teams in right now doesn't mean that crap is gospel.  It was a frustrating piece to watch.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 10:32:54 AM »
Also, on College basketball gameday not coming to Milwaukee for MU vs Nova, they wouldn't come to Milwaukee even if the game wasn't on Fox. The rematch of Duke/UVA is the same day. Can't blame them for covering two top 3 teams playing each other.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »
MU is top 10.

Howard would be POY if not for Zion.

We get plenty of publicity — even on ESPN.

This is nothing more than the requisite anti-ESPN rant that SCOOP is required by contract to run every 6 weeks.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 10:40:49 AM »
Also, on College basketball gameday not coming to Milwaukee for MU vs Nova, they wouldn't come to Milwaukee even if the game wasn't on Fox. The rematch of Duke/UVA is the same day. Can't blame them for covering two top 3 teams playing each other.
#24 Wisconsin is at #5 Michigan at 11am on FOX. #14 Villanova and #10 Marquette will have a very nice lead in @1:30pm.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:42:57 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 10:43:59 AM »
#24 Wisconsin is at #5 Michigan at 11am on FOX. #14 Villanova and #10 Marquette will have a very nice lead in @1:30pm.

If the Badgers haven’t put the fans to sleep, it will be.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 11:32:15 AM »
Stay at a Hilton brand hotel.

Marriott also has a nice umbrella of hotels. Both have FS1 and FS2

Every Hilton portfolio property I have stayed at has FS1. Seconded.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
If the Badgers haven’t put the fans to sleep, it will be.

Need to get Gus Johnson to announce our game. He'd wake 'em up.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 06:50:57 PM »
Solid match up on ESPN2 in the AAC with Temple at Houston. I don't hear the country  talking about Houston. Yet, if the AAC was on FS1, that would be the reason ESPN talking heads would say is the reason. Announcer crew in  Richard Cross, Mark Wise that nobody knows who they are.  AAC is on ESPN Family of Networks. Just an example of the ESPN silly talk as they push the ACC, SEC and Big 12. Less pushing on the Big Ten as ESPN only gets 37 league games and the rest is on BTN, FOX/FS1 and CBS.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:59:03 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »
If we were on E$PN Markus would be the next Trae Young and he wouldn't be staying his 4th year...definitely not the best recruiting piece but it isn't wrong
NBA scouts do not rely on TV stations to decide who they select in the draft...and that is all that matters as far as getting drafted.  By this logic no international players should be drafted.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »
A little unrelated, but one thing that bugs me is that the FS1 studio guys don't always champion the Big East as much as they should, IMO>   

Like last night they were talking about number of bids.  Stone, Jackson and Jacobson concluded that the Big East will get 2-3 bids, and max out at 4.  Like c'mon.  I've said this repeatedly, but the Big East is more likely to get 6 bids than 2 bids.  6 is becoming unlikely, but 5 is still in the cards if SHU, SJU and one of PC/Butler/Creighton can separate themselves.  They need to be more positive.  Just because Howie fukin' Schwab has 2 Big East teams in and 8/10 Big 12 teams in right now doesn't mean that crap is gospel.  It was a frustrating piece to watch.   
Yes, things could change but don't most bracket guys have 3 Big East teams in? 
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »
NBA scouts do not rely on TV stations to decide who they select in the draft...and that is all that matters as far as getting drafted.  By this logic no international players should be drafted.

Exactly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »
On the original topic, Markus has the potential to gain far greater exposure than Trae Young -- because he's on a better team.

Much of the country doesn't tune in to college basketball until conference tourneys and the Big Dance begin. While Trae Young made a huge impression early, his Oklahoma team lost 12 of its last 16 games. That includes first-round losses in the Big 12 tournament and the NCAA tournament (where many questioned whether the Sooners deserved a bid at all).

NCAA tournament games attract roughly 10x the viewership as regular-season games. If Markus performs like he can and MU makes some noise in the postseason, the national spotlight will most definitely find him.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 08:37:21 PM »
And while we complain about ESPN, John Gasaway just named Markus the #5 player in college basketball, behind Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, Ethan Happ and Grant Williams.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/25888810/the-top-25-players-college-basketball

For those of you who don't have ESPN+, here is the writeup on Howard:

"5. Markus Howard, Marquette Golden Eagles

We are living in a 3-point revolution, and no player in 2019 storms those particular barricades with the same effectiveness as Howard. At times this season, the junior has flirted with statistical combinations of volume and accuracy from beyond the arc that bear comparison to the 2015-16 season that netted Oklahoma's Buddy Hield a victory in that year's Wooden Award race. Which is to say Howard is hitting 3.5 3-pointers per outing and draining 43 percent of his shots from distance.

Howard has already scored 40 or more points three times this season, and somewhere, Pete Maravich is definitely smiling (while perhaps asking for a retroactive 3-point line of his own). The 5-foot-11 scorer authored his masterpiece in the form of a 53-point explosion in an overtime win at Creighton. In those 45 minutes in Omaha, Howard made more 3s (10) than an average team does this season in a major conference game (eight). He's a 3-point host unto himself."

I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
And while we complain about ESPN, John Gasaway just named Markus the #5 player in college basketball, behind Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, Ethan Happ and Grant Williams.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/25888810/the-top-25-players-college-basketball

We are living in a 3-point revolution, and no player in 2019 storms those particular barricades with the same effectiveness as Howard. At times this season, the junior has flirted with statistical combinations of volume and accuracy from beyond the arc that bear comparison to the 2015-16 season that netted Oklahoma's Buddy Hield a victory in that year's Wooden Award race. Which is to say Howard is hitting 3.5 3-pointers per outing and draining 43 percent of his shots from distance.

Howard has already scored 40 or more points three times this season, and somewhere, Pete Maravich is definitely smiling (while perhaps asking for a retroactive 3-point line of his own). The 5-foot-11 scorer authored his masterpiece in the form of a 53-point explosion in an overtime win at Creighton. In those 45 minutes in Omaha, Howard made more 3s (10) than an average team does this season in a major conference game (eight). He's a 3-point host unto himself."

At a certain point their hand is forced and their bias can be overcome.  But for any regular follower of a non ESPN conference team that bias is already painfully obvious. If not, that person isn't paying very close attention.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
At a certain point their hand is forced and their bias can be overcome.  But for any regular follower of a non ESPN conference team that bias is already painfully obvious. If not, that person isn't paying very close attention.

Maybe the solution is for you to stop watching ESPN.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 10:14:20 PM »
My regular Hilton Garden Inn does not provide FS1.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2019, 10:20:38 PM »
Actually we see as bias is the stated strategy of ESPN. They are investing in "personalities" as a way to retain subscribers. For example a couple of summers ago they put a hard sell promotion on Lonzo Ball the entire summer NBA season and well into the regular season, it really didn't slow down until it was painfully obvious that Lonzo was overrated.  All to get that Southern California media number up.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2019, 10:22:02 PM »

Behind Happ. What a joke. He has great moves inside but the man cannot make a shot from more than 4 feet away. It absolutely boggles my mind why teams play honest defense agains him and he is not fouled 10-15 times a game, watch him make 8 out of 20 FT's and be so completely rattled it affects the rest of his game. Nice player. Will never ever make it at the next level. I take Markus over him a million times over.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 10:38:34 PM »
Behind Happ. What a joke. He has great moves inside but the man cannot make a shot from more than 4 feet away. It absolutely boggles my mind why teams play honest defense agains him and he is not fouled 10-15 times a game, watch him make 8 out of 20 FT's and be so completely rattled it affects the rest of his game. Nice player. Will never ever make it at the next level. I take Markus over him a million times over.

Happ would be lucky to even sniff the NBA. Great college player, but he simply is not an NBA player.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2019, 10:49:40 PM »

I'm no Ethan Happ fan. But Gasaway isn't alone in judging him as one of the best in college basketball. KenPom currently ranks him 1st for Player of the Year -- ahead of Zion Williamson, Carsen Edwards, RJ Barnett and Grant Williams. As a 6-10 forward, Happ is 10th in the country in assist rate (38.9%). He's a crafty and efficient scorer, despite ranking #7 nationwide in usage. His 28.2% defensive rebounding percentage also ranks Top 25.

All that said -- I don't see his game translating to the next level, either. He's not that quick or athletic. He can't shoot from outside the paint (including the free throw line). I'll take Markus in a heartbeat.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 07:18:22 AM »

All that said -- I don't see his game translating to the next level, either. He's not that quick or athletic. He can't shoot from outside the paint (including the free throw line). I'll take Markus in a heartbeat.

Sam and/or Joey, too.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 08:31:26 AM »
Sam and/or Joey, too.
Happ is a helluva college player.  I'd love for us to have a guy like that.  Of course I'd prefer Markus on this team, because without Markus Sam would be the PG.  Sam is probably a better fit for us, too, though I don't think you can reasonably argue that Sam is a better college player (and Sam is my favorite current player).  The three of them are completely different types of players of course, but which of them you'd rather have would depend on what else you already have.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 11:10:26 AM »
Happ is a helluva college player.  I'd love for us to have a guy like that.  Of course I'd prefer Markus on this team, because without Markus Sam would be the PG.  Sam is probably a better fit for us, too, though I don't think you can reasonably argue that Sam is a better college player (and Sam is my favorite current player).  The three of them are completely different types of players of course, but which of them you'd rather have would depend on what else you already have.

That's all reasonable.

A lot of great, great college players can't play in the NBA. A surprising number of NBA players were nowhere near All-America status as collegians. NBA coaches/GMs look for different skill sets than college coaches do.

Sam has a skill that is in very high demand in today's NBA -- he is a great shooter -- and he also does everything else reasonably well. Happ's great skill is a superior post game against college kids; that is not at all in demand in today's NBA.

Not telling you anything you didn't already know, of course.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 11:23:22 AM »
Maybe the solution is for you to stop watching ESPN.

Yeah, that's great and all... but I'm not worried about myself.  Please see reply #6.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2019, 11:26:26 AM »
Actually we see as bias is the stated strategy of ESPN. They are investing in "personalities" as a way to retain subscribers. For example a couple of summers ago they put a hard sell promotion on Lonzo Ball the entire summer NBA season and well into the regular season, it really didn't slow down until it was painfully obvious that Lonzo was overrated.  All to get that Southern California media number up.

This is pretty center to the whole point trying to be made in this thread.  As long as they keep their short term focus mainly on their own contracted conferences (with of course a spattering of topics that can't be ignored like a top 10 team or Markus), they are doing a long term disservice to their brand and the NCAAB product as a whole.