[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Academic All Americans by Goose
[Today at 08:52:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:41:23 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN BS  (Read 13699 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
ESPN BS
« on: January 31, 2019, 09:03:08 AM »
So, last week in other topics some talked about if ESPN College Gameday would be in Milwaukee on Feb. 9. Most did say, no. It's a FOX game. That would be correct, as this is not college football. The football show does go to FOX, FS1, CBS and NBC games. The football show gets 1.8 million in viewers, where the basketball show is no where close to that. Heck, 90% of basketball games on TV don't get viewership numbers in what ESPN College Gameday Football gets.

With that said, ESPN company man Fran Fraschilla was a guest on Sirius XM, channel 84 on the show "The First Team" this morning. The host is Taylor Zarzour. He is a college football guy. He works for the SEC Network, which is owned by ESPN. The topic moved to "Cinderella Teams." Fran said, he would not be shocked if teams like Marquette or Houston would be in the Final Four. They moved to other teams, than got to Markus Howard. Fran said, if Markus Howard was on ESPN he would be this years Trae Young. Not a shot at FOX, but the country doesn't see Markus Howard. Taylor, who is also a company guy IMO said I agree with that as you are conditioned to watch the ACC, Big 12, SEC on ESPN.

While I don't disagree with that, I do. Marquette has been on OTA FOX twice already this season with the Wisconsin and Xavier game. Also, let's not act like Marquette is not on TV. FS1 is in 83 million homes. I'm glad the Big East has a guy in Tim Brando and company on FS1 who said before tip last night, if you have not seen Markus Howard, you have not been watching college basketball! Listen, ESPN slips BS to us. Stop blaming others for not seeing Markus Howard. true fans have! CBSSN talks about him all the time! Let's call it for what it is, ESPN doesn't want to over hype Markus Howard in the way they did with Trae Young. Markus Howard doesn't play on ESPN. It's a massive struggle to get ratings outside of Duke in regular season basketball. Also, ESPN IMO over did it with Trae Young as the country started to dislike him and wanted him to fail. I'm glad that is not the case with Markus Howard as he is a great player and even a better person!

Thoughts!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:06:06 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

IrwinFletcher

• All American
Re: ESPN BS
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:07:23 AM »
He isn’t wrong.

ESPN is a behemouth and the average fan doesn’t even know FS1 exists.  I travel a lot for my job.  10% of the hotels have FS1 as part of their cable/satellite package.  More offer ESPNNews and ESPNU that offer FS1.

Bottom line is that it is a bit tougher for someone not on ESPN to get some hype.  Their talking heads are more likely to talk about MH if he were on their network.  Although this morning, Trey Wingo was talking about him a bit.

It’s just the reality of college hoops right now and frankly, it doesn’t bother me.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:07:32 AM »
Who cares if the mouth breathers watching ESPN know about Markus Howard or not?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 09:10:55 AM »

This.

Just keep winning, and the clueless will find out soon enough....

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 09:12:33 AM »

Additionally, Marquette has been the lead on espn twice in the past few weeks. People already know Markus. If they don't, they aren't ncaab fans.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:24:20 AM by JakeBarnes »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »
If we were on E$PN Markus would be the next Trae Young and he wouldn't be staying his 4th year...definitely not the best recruiting piece but it isn't wrong

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 09:22:04 AM »

We should all care... because it is a symptom of a much larger problem.  As long as ESPN has such a large hold on a major part of college basketball viewing, they control a lot of aspects of the system itself.  You can look at many parts of CBB, from recruiting, to the AP poll, to monetary resources like tv contracts, and much more and you can see it affecting every other aspect.   

Just one example: more viewers means bigger tv contracts, which means more money for programs, which means better facilities, which means better recruits and better training staff, which means easier path to on court success (which then feeds back into more viewership).   This cycle can be picked up at any point along that line and you can trade in and out other aspects like recruiting and player awards, etc.  You don't NEED huge exposure to be successful... but it certainly is nice to have!

When ESPN plays dirty by not covering conferences they have no control over just to focus on their own brand, they not only do a disservice to their viewer for not being aware of a lot of great basketball, but they also do themselves a disservice because of the resentment they build in a decent size of the fanbase who follows non-SEC/ACC/B12.  It creates a situation where some people begin to hope they fall on hard times.  Not to mention the personal conflict it causes me due to my DIS holdings!    ::)

The industry and NCAAB would be better served if CBSSN and FS1 continue to increase their share of viewership.  If that happened I'd imagine you'd either see the networks cover across the tv contract lines more... or at least you can get more exposure to the average fan as they flip between the channels. 

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:26:54 AM »
Did FS1 hurt Jalen Brunson or Doug McDermott's chances of winning NPOY?  No.

I think Fran's full of it ... just another way of being a good company guy and putting down the competition.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »
FS1 is in 83 million homes
FS2 is in 57 million homes
BTN is in 58 million homes

ESPNU is in 63 million homes
ESPNEWS is in 61 million homes
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 09:30:39 AM »
Used to happen all the time with NFL and PGA where NBC/CBS/FOX wouldn't even mention any other game or the next weekend tournament if it was on a different network. That seems to pretty much go by the wayside now as they want to promote the sport

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 09:31:28 AM »
We should all care... because it is a symptom of a much larger problem.  As long as ESPN has such a large hold on a major part of college basketball viewing, they control a lot of aspects of the system itself.  You can look at many parts of CBB, from recruiting, to the AP poll, to monetary resources like tv contracts, and much more and you can see it affecting every other aspect.   

Just one example: more viewers means bigger tv contracts, which means more money for programs, which means better facilities, which means better recruits and better training staff, which means easier path to on court success (which then feeds back into more viewership).   This cycle can be picked up at any point along that line and you can trade in and out other aspects like recruiting and player awards, etc.  You don't NEED huge exposure to be successful... but it certainly is nice to have!

When ESPN plays dirty by not covering conferences they have no control over just to focus on their own brand, they not only do a disservice to their viewer for not being aware of a lot of great basketball, but they also do themselves a disservice because of the resentment they build in a decent size of the fanbase who follows non-SEC/ACC/B12.  It creates a situation where some people begin to hope they fall on hard times.  Not to mention the personal conflict it causes me due to my DIS holdings!    ::)

The industry and NCAAB would be better served if CBSSN and FS1 continue to increase their share of viewership.  If that happened I'd imagine you'd either see the networks cover across the tv contract lines more... or at least you can get more exposure to the average fan as they flip between the channels.

Totally understand what you're saying ... and yet I still have a hard time getting outraged over it.

Flipping around the channels last night, "The Lead" on the bottom line featured 3 stories: one was Super Bowl related, one was an NBA game and the third was "No. 10 Marquette wins 8th straight; Howard scores 32."

We get pub. Almost surely not as much as if we were on ESPN, but we get pub.

The Big East made a choice, went for much, much bigger money on FS1 than the league would have gotten from ESPN. I don't blame BE honchos for making that choice, and it has been a good relationship. But one of the small consequences of the choice is that ESPN is a business that is not in the business of overly promoting another network's product.

Win a few NCAA games and we'll be swimming in publicity, from ESPN and everybody else.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 09:33:27 AM »
FS1 is in 83 million homes
FS2 is in 57 million homes
BTN is in 58 million homes

ESPNU is in 63 million homes
ESPNEWS is in 61 million homes

What are the numbers on their flagship channels?

Also curious, what's the rough average viewership of a midweek power conference game on ESPN vs. FS1 or CBSSN game?

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 09:36:20 AM »
Totally understand what you're saying ... and yet I still have a hard time getting outraged over it.

Flipping around the channels last night, "The Lead" on the bottom line featured 3 stories: one was Super Bowl related, one was an NBA game and the third was "No. 10 Marquette wins 8th straight; Howard scores 32."

We get pub. Almost surely not as much as if we were on ESPN, but we get pub.

The Big East made a choice, went for much, much bigger money on FS1 than the league would have gotten from ESPN. I don't blame BE honchos for making that choice, and it has been a good relationship. But one of the small consequences of the choice is that ESPN is a business that is not in the business of overly promoting another network's product.

Win a few NCAA games and we'll be swimming in publicity, from ESPN and everybody else.

I was going to say more and go into these thoughts as well, as I agree.  I just figured my post was long enough already!    ;D       

fjm

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 09:36:53 AM »
I honestly don’t know the last time I watched ESPN.

Jk. I remember. It was the Preseason NIT cause MU was plying. Haven’t watched since then. Not even a bowl football game.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 09:38:09 AM »
If people don't know who Howard is by now then thats on them for living under a rock. What Howard is doing is even more impressive than what Stephen Curry did at Davidson. This guy is must watch tv every game.

On the ESPN note, because Marquette is not on ESPN they are forced to talk about leading NCAA scorer Chris Clemons from Campbell who hit a game winning shot yesterday improving his teams record to a blistering 12-9 record. IMO Howard is more fun to watch than Zion is. Not a homer here but the dunks form Zion are nice but the step backs by Howard are Kemba Walker like and I will watch that all day.

Ja Morant is a fun player to watch as well but ESPN is forcing these guys since they aren't going to talk about the best player in college right now due to different networks.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »
What are the numbers on their flagship channels?

Also curious, what's the rough average viewership of a midweek power conference game on ESPN vs. FS1 or CBSSN game?
CBSSN is not a rated network.

The Big Ten does very good on FS1. The Friday night hoops has been good for FS1. Having Michigan at Indiana last Friday gave Butler at Creighton a very good rating. Big East gets solid numbers when on FOX compared to FS1.

ESPN kills FS1. Yet, it's not apples vs apples when you have Duke, Kentucky and Kansas on your network. Funny thing is ESPN smokes ESPN2 in most cases. The only big numbers ESPN gets is when Duke is on. Yet, that would just an average number if it is a college football game.
-Bill Walton

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 09:40:42 AM »
I think this can shift with B1G games now on FS1.  Hard to ignore Michigan/MSU/other long time teams especially when the B1G is “up” this year. 
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »
Great post by FranktheTank on the UCONN board about the Big East that I thought should be shared here: FranktheTank is a lawyer that has a good sports media blog that everyone respects.

To this day, I don’t understand the arguments that the Big East would be a league that’s going downward. They already make more TV money than any of the Group of 5 conferences and they don’t even play football (meaning they’re getting a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher ROI without those football expenses). The on-the-court product has also ended up being signicantly better than expected - there isn’t any “Requiem for the Big East” talk anymore.

At the same time, anyone in the TV industry knows that trying to compare FS1 ratings to ESPN ratings is ridiculous - there’s an artificial depression on ratings for the exact same event on FS1 compared to ESPN. You can see this clearly in Pac-12 ratings where the same matchup will have 3 or 4 times the viewers on ESPN compared to FS1. (Note that the Big East consistently beats the Pac-12 on FS1 in the ratings, so that’s a much better indicator of the Big East’s leverage.) If the Big East were going to market for a new contract today, it would most certainly get a significant increase with multiple bidders. To be sure, TV rights fees are in flux for the future because of so many unpredictable changes in the industry overall, but that’s a macro issue as opposed to a conference-specific issue.

The point is that the “football is all that matters” mantra is true... for the P5 conferences. The problem is that the G5 conferences are lemmings in trying to chase the P5 in a game that they will never be even in the vicinity of being competitive (much less win). Meanwhile, the Big East found a way to make more TV money with fewer expenses with an identifiable brand and schools that actually want to be there by going in a totally different direction (if only because they were forced to do so). Frankly, considering the circumstances of the split of the Old Big East, the New Big East has actually been the best managed conference that has maximized its assets better on a pound for pound basis than any other conference (including the P5) since conference realignment quieted down. The Big East shouldn’t be criticized for being a league without football - they should be *commended* for figuring out a way to be successful and resurrecting a brand without football while the G5 members swim in debt in the name of football.

If the P5 conferences are Amazon, then the G5 conferences are Sears - a dying retailer that tried to figure out online retail when it was too little and too late while much better competitors swamped them. Meanwhile, the Big East is like Nordstrom - a targeted high value brand retailer whose success is doing what Amazon *doesn’t* do well in terms of a different focus and experience. The irony of all of this is that the P5 actually sees the Big East as a legitimate equal in basketball with this approach to the point where 2 leagues (the Big Ten and Big 12) have challenges with them. Anyone who thinks that the Big East is more in danger of a hypothetical P5 split from the rest of the NCAA than, say, the AAC is kidding themselves.

To be clear, this doesn’t mean UConn should just drop football (or even go independent) and join the Big East. As long as UConn sincerely believes that it has a chance at the P5, it’s essentially forced to stay in the AAC (or whatever successor league in the event that it gets poached). Holding onto that P5 lottery ticket is probably still to important for an athletic department of UConn’s stature to ever unilaterally give it up. It’s just a strange situation since UConn might be the only school in the country where *having* an FBS football program actually *takes away* a potentially higher revenue/more profitable option (basketball in the Big East
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 09:46:54 AM »
Great post by FranktheTank on the UCONN board about the Big East that I thought should be shared here: FranktheTank is a lawyer that has a good sports media blog that everyone respects.

To this day, I don’t understand the arguments that the Big East would be a league that’s going downward. They already make more TV money than any of the Group of 5 conferences and they don’t even play football (meaning they’re getting a MUCH MUCH MUCH higher ROI without those football expenses). The on-the-court product has also ended up being signicantly better than expected - there isn’t any “Requiem for the Big East” talk anymore.

At the same time, anyone in the TV industry knows that trying to compare FS1 ratings to ESPN ratings is ridiculous - there’s an artificial depression on ratings for the exact same event on FS1 compared to ESPN. You can see this clearly in Pac-12 ratings where the same matchup will have 3 or 4 times the viewers on ESPN compared to FS1. (Note that the Big East consistently beats the Pac-12 on FS1 in the ratings, so that’s a much better indicator of the Big East’s leverage.) If the Big East were going to market for a new contract today, it would most certainly get a significant increase with multiple bidders. To be sure, TV rights fees are in flux for the future because of so many unpredictable changes in the industry overall, but that’s a macro issue as opposed to a conference-specific issue.

The point is that the “football is all that matters” mantra is true... for the P5 conferences. The problem is that the G5 conferences are lemmings in trying to chase the P5 in a game that they will never be even in the vicinity of being competitive (much less win). Meanwhile, the Big East found a way to make more TV money with fewer expenses with an identifiable brand and schools that actually want to be there by going in a totally different direction (if only because they were forced to do so). Frankly, considering the circumstances of the split of the Old Big East, the New Big East has actually been the best managed conference that has maximized its assets better on a pound for pound basis than any other conference (including the P5) since conference realignment quieted down. The Big East shouldn’t be criticized for being a league without football - they should be *commended* for figuring out a way to be successful and resurrecting a brand without football while the G5 members swim in debt in the name of football.

If the P5 conferences are Amazon, then the G5 conferences are Sears - a dying retailer that tried to figure out online retail when it was too little and too late while much better competitors swamped them. Meanwhile, the Big East is like Nordstrom - a targeted high value brand retailer whose success is doing what Amazon *doesn’t* do well in terms of a different focus and experience. The irony of all of this is that the P5 actually sees the Big East as a legitimate equal in basketball with this approach to the point where 2 leagues (the Big Ten and Big 12) have challenges with them. Anyone who thinks that the Big East is more in danger of a hypothetical P5 split from the rest of the NCAA than, say, the AAC is kidding themselves.

To be clear, this doesn’t mean UConn should just drop football (or even go independent) and join the Big East. As long as UConn sincerely believes that it has a chance at the P5, it’s essentially forced to stay in the AAC (or whatever successor league in the event that it gets poached). Holding onto that P5 lottery ticket is probably still to important for an athletic department of UConn’s stature to ever unilaterally give it up. It’s just a strange situation since UConn might be the only school in the country where *having* an FBS football program actually *takes away* a potentially higher revenue/more profitable option (basketball in the Big East

Thanks for posting that, Mr. N. Very thought-provoking.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 09:48:52 AM »

Ditto.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »

Taken as a whole, Frank writes a great analysis.  But on this last statement - and I'm sure it's been hashed out over and over elsewhere - does UCONN have some reason to sincerely believe a P5 invite is coming?  The financials revealed a couple weeks ago suggest that its whole athletic department is shaky because its FBS program can't be sustained as is.  How long can they wait?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 10:05:51 AM »
ESPN is a behemouth and the average fan doesn’t even know FS1 exists.  I travel a lot for my job.  10% of the hotels have FS1 as part of their cable/satellite package.  More offer ESPNNews and ESPNU that offer FS1.

What hotels are you staying at? I've literally never been to a hotel without FS1. I don't travel a ton but am in a hotel every few months.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 10:11:46 AM »
Stay at a Hilton brand hotel.

Marriott also has a nice umbrella of hotels. Both have FS1 and FS2

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »

Ditto.

Thirded
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 10:25:09 AM »

The Big East has built a very cohesive and readily identifiable brand with a persistent TV viewership base.  As such when the renewal comes up there will definitely be multiple bidders. I not only expect the dollars to be attractive but I also expect the terms to be enhanced. For example a number of league games are on Fox Broadcast, that could possibly go up. Also the junior partner CBS Sports networks puts a handful of games on CBS Broadcast and that may go up. With the track record in place the bids  will be tighter and the Big East may very well end back up at ESPN.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 10:30:53 AM »
The Big East has built a very cohesive and readily identifiable brand with a persistent TV viewership base.  As such when the renewal comes up there will definitely be multiple bidders. I not only expect the dollars to be attractive but I also expect the terms to be enhanced. For example a number of league games are on Fox Broadcast, that could possibly go up. Also the junior partner CBS Sports networks puts a handful of games on CBS Broadcast and that may go up. With the track record in place the bids  will be tighter and the Big East may very well end back up at ESPN.

A little unrelated, but one thing that bugs me is that the FS1 studio guys don't always champion the Big East as much as they should, IMO>   

Like last night they were talking about number of bids.  Stone, Jackson and Jacobson concluded that the Big East will get 2-3 bids, and max out at 4.  Like c'mon.  I've said this repeatedly, but the Big East is more likely to get 6 bids than 2 bids.  6 is becoming unlikely, but 5 is still in the cards if SHU, SJU and one of PC/Butler/Creighton can separate themselves.  They need to be more positive.  Just because Howie fukin' Schwab has 2 Big East teams in and 8/10 Big 12 teams in right now doesn't mean that crap is gospel.  It was a frustrating piece to watch.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 10:32:54 AM »
Also, on College basketball gameday not coming to Milwaukee for MU vs Nova, they wouldn't come to Milwaukee even if the game wasn't on Fox. The rematch of Duke/UVA is the same day. Can't blame them for covering two top 3 teams playing each other.
TAMU

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »
MU is top 10.

Howard would be POY if not for Zion.

We get plenty of publicity — even on ESPN.

This is nothing more than the requisite anti-ESPN rant that SCOOP is required by contract to run every 6 weeks.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 10:40:49 AM »
Also, on College basketball gameday not coming to Milwaukee for MU vs Nova, they wouldn't come to Milwaukee even if the game wasn't on Fox. The rematch of Duke/UVA is the same day. Can't blame them for covering two top 3 teams playing each other.
#24 Wisconsin is at #5 Michigan at 11am on FOX. #14 Villanova and #10 Marquette will have a very nice lead in @1:30pm.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:42:57 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 10:43:59 AM »
#24 Wisconsin is at #5 Michigan at 11am on FOX. #14 Villanova and #10 Marquette will have a very nice lead in @1:30pm.

If the Badgers haven’t put the fans to sleep, it will be.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 11:32:15 AM »

Every Hilton portfolio property I have stayed at has FS1. Seconded.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2019, 12:23:14 PM »
If the Badgers haven’t put the fans to sleep, it will be.

Need to get Gus Johnson to announce our game. He'd wake 'em up.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2019, 06:50:57 PM »
Solid match up on ESPN2 in the AAC with Temple at Houston. I don't hear the country  talking about Houston. Yet, if the AAC was on FS1, that would be the reason ESPN talking heads would say is the reason. Announcer crew in  Richard Cross, Mark Wise that nobody knows who they are.  AAC is on ESPN Family of Networks. Just an example of the ESPN silly talk as they push the ACC, SEC and Big 12. Less pushing on the Big Ten as ESPN only gets 37 league games and the rest is on BTN, FOX/FS1 and CBS.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:59:03 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »
If we were on E$PN Markus would be the next Trae Young and he wouldn't be staying his 4th year...definitely not the best recruiting piece but it isn't wrong
NBA scouts do not rely on TV stations to decide who they select in the draft...and that is all that matters as far as getting drafted.  By this logic no international players should be drafted.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »
A little unrelated, but one thing that bugs me is that the FS1 studio guys don't always champion the Big East as much as they should, IMO>   

Like last night they were talking about number of bids.  Stone, Jackson and Jacobson concluded that the Big East will get 2-3 bids, and max out at 4.  Like c'mon.  I've said this repeatedly, but the Big East is more likely to get 6 bids than 2 bids.  6 is becoming unlikely, but 5 is still in the cards if SHU, SJU and one of PC/Butler/Creighton can separate themselves.  They need to be more positive.  Just because Howie fukin' Schwab has 2 Big East teams in and 8/10 Big 12 teams in right now doesn't mean that crap is gospel.  It was a frustrating piece to watch.   
Yes, things could change but don't most bracket guys have 3 Big East teams in? 
-Bill Walton

MU82

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »
NBA scouts do not rely on TV stations to decide who they select in the draft...and that is all that matters as far as getting drafted.  By this logic no international players should be drafted.

Exactly.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »
On the original topic, Markus has the potential to gain far greater exposure than Trae Young -- because he's on a better team.

Much of the country doesn't tune in to college basketball until conference tourneys and the Big Dance begin. While Trae Young made a huge impression early, his Oklahoma team lost 12 of its last 16 games. That includes first-round losses in the Big 12 tournament and the NCAA tournament (where many questioned whether the Sooners deserved a bid at all).

NCAA tournament games attract roughly 10x the viewership as regular-season games. If Markus performs like he can and MU makes some noise in the postseason, the national spotlight will most definitely find him.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2019, 08:37:21 PM »
And while we complain about ESPN, John Gasaway just named Markus the #5 player in college basketball, behind Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, Ethan Happ and Grant Williams.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/25888810/the-top-25-players-college-basketball

For those of you who don't have ESPN+, here is the writeup on Howard:

"5. Markus Howard, Marquette Golden Eagles

We are living in a 3-point revolution, and no player in 2019 storms those particular barricades with the same effectiveness as Howard. At times this season, the junior has flirted with statistical combinations of volume and accuracy from beyond the arc that bear comparison to the 2015-16 season that netted Oklahoma's Buddy Hield a victory in that year's Wooden Award race. Which is to say Howard is hitting 3.5 3-pointers per outing and draining 43 percent of his shots from distance.

Howard has already scored 40 or more points three times this season, and somewhere, Pete Maravich is definitely smiling (while perhaps asking for a retroactive 3-point line of his own). The 5-foot-11 scorer authored his masterpiece in the form of a 53-point explosion in an overtime win at Creighton. In those 45 minutes in Omaha, Howard made more 3s (10) than an average team does this season in a major conference game (eight). He's a 3-point host unto himself."

I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
And while we complain about ESPN, John Gasaway just named Markus the #5 player in college basketball, behind Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, Ethan Happ and Grant Williams.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/25888810/the-top-25-players-college-basketball

We are living in a 3-point revolution, and no player in 2019 storms those particular barricades with the same effectiveness as Howard. At times this season, the junior has flirted with statistical combinations of volume and accuracy from beyond the arc that bear comparison to the 2015-16 season that netted Oklahoma's Buddy Hield a victory in that year's Wooden Award race. Which is to say Howard is hitting 3.5 3-pointers per outing and draining 43 percent of his shots from distance.

Howard has already scored 40 or more points three times this season, and somewhere, Pete Maravich is definitely smiling (while perhaps asking for a retroactive 3-point line of his own). The 5-foot-11 scorer authored his masterpiece in the form of a 53-point explosion in an overtime win at Creighton. In those 45 minutes in Omaha, Howard made more 3s (10) than an average team does this season in a major conference game (eight). He's a 3-point host unto himself."

At a certain point their hand is forced and their bias can be overcome.  But for any regular follower of a non ESPN conference team that bias is already painfully obvious. If not, that person isn't paying very close attention.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
At a certain point their hand is forced and their bias can be overcome.  But for any regular follower of a non ESPN conference team that bias is already painfully obvious. If not, that person isn't paying very close attention.

Maybe the solution is for you to stop watching ESPN.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2019, 10:14:20 PM »
My regular Hilton Garden Inn does not provide FS1.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2019, 10:20:38 PM »
Actually we see as bias is the stated strategy of ESPN. They are investing in "personalities" as a way to retain subscribers. For example a couple of summers ago they put a hard sell promotion on Lonzo Ball the entire summer NBA season and well into the regular season, it really didn't slow down until it was painfully obvious that Lonzo was overrated.  All to get that Southern California media number up.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2019, 10:22:02 PM »

Behind Happ. What a joke. He has great moves inside but the man cannot make a shot from more than 4 feet away. It absolutely boggles my mind why teams play honest defense agains him and he is not fouled 10-15 times a game, watch him make 8 out of 20 FT's and be so completely rattled it affects the rest of his game. Nice player. Will never ever make it at the next level. I take Markus over him a million times over.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 10:38:34 PM »
Behind Happ. What a joke. He has great moves inside but the man cannot make a shot from more than 4 feet away. It absolutely boggles my mind why teams play honest defense agains him and he is not fouled 10-15 times a game, watch him make 8 out of 20 FT's and be so completely rattled it affects the rest of his game. Nice player. Will never ever make it at the next level. I take Markus over him a million times over.

Happ would be lucky to even sniff the NBA. Great college player, but he simply is not an NBA player.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2019, 10:49:40 PM »

I'm no Ethan Happ fan. But Gasaway isn't alone in judging him as one of the best in college basketball. KenPom currently ranks him 1st for Player of the Year -- ahead of Zion Williamson, Carsen Edwards, RJ Barnett and Grant Williams. As a 6-10 forward, Happ is 10th in the country in assist rate (38.9%). He's a crafty and efficient scorer, despite ranking #7 nationwide in usage. His 28.2% defensive rebounding percentage also ranks Top 25.

All that said -- I don't see his game translating to the next level, either. He's not that quick or athletic. He can't shoot from outside the paint (including the free throw line). I'll take Markus in a heartbeat.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 07:18:22 AM »

All that said -- I don't see his game translating to the next level, either. He's not that quick or athletic. He can't shoot from outside the paint (including the free throw line). I'll take Markus in a heartbeat.

Sam and/or Joey, too.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2019, 08:31:26 AM »
Sam and/or Joey, too.
Happ is a helluva college player.  I'd love for us to have a guy like that.  Of course I'd prefer Markus on this team, because without Markus Sam would be the PG.  Sam is probably a better fit for us, too, though I don't think you can reasonably argue that Sam is a better college player (and Sam is my favorite current player).  The three of them are completely different types of players of course, but which of them you'd rather have would depend on what else you already have.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2019, 11:10:26 AM »
Happ is a helluva college player.  I'd love for us to have a guy like that.  Of course I'd prefer Markus on this team, because without Markus Sam would be the PG.  Sam is probably a better fit for us, too, though I don't think you can reasonably argue that Sam is a better college player (and Sam is my favorite current player).  The three of them are completely different types of players of course, but which of them you'd rather have would depend on what else you already have.

That's all reasonable.

A lot of great, great college players can't play in the NBA. A surprising number of NBA players were nowhere near All-America status as collegians. NBA coaches/GMs look for different skill sets than college coaches do.

Sam has a skill that is in very high demand in today's NBA -- he is a great shooter -- and he also does everything else reasonably well. Happ's great skill is a superior post game against college kids; that is not at all in demand in today's NBA.

Not telling you anything you didn't already know, of course.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2019, 11:23:22 AM »

Yeah, that's great and all... but I'm not worried about myself.  Please see reply #6.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2019, 11:26:26 AM »
Actually we see as bias is the stated strategy of ESPN. They are investing in "personalities" as a way to retain subscribers. For example a couple of summers ago they put a hard sell promotion on Lonzo Ball the entire summer NBA season and well into the regular season, it really didn't slow down until it was painfully obvious that Lonzo was overrated.  All to get that Southern California media number up.

This is pretty center to the whole point trying to be made in this thread.  As long as they keep their short term focus mainly on their own contracted conferences (with of course a spattering of topics that can't be ignored like a top 10 team or Markus), they are doing a long term disservice to their brand and the NCAAB product as a whole. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2019, 11:58:36 AM »

Exactly. Good grief who cares about what ESPN does. They have 24 hours to fill and have a right to pump their own product. After all, they are paying for it. I watch ESPN and FOX for the games I want to watch. I do not watch Sports center to count how many MU mentions there are.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2019, 04:20:58 PM »
What hotels are you staying at? I've literally never been to a hotel without FS1. I don't travel a ton but am in a hotel every few months.

Marriott properties.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2019, 04:23:52 PM »

I am committed (via points) to Marriott and no, not all carry FS1 and 2.  I have never stayed in one that carried FS2.  And I stay in hotels from full service Marriotts to Fairfield’s.  Varies from property to property.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »
I am committed (via points) to Marriott and no, not all carry FS1 and 2.  I have never stayed in one that carried FS2.  And I stay in hotels from full service Marriotts to Fairfield’s.  Varies from property to property.

It is usually up to the owner. The good news is that I have noticed more and more expanding their offerings over the last five years though. Many Fairfields actually have full Direct TV service.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »

If you have FS1 at home cant you watch via an app on your phone such as fox sports. u-verse. comcast, etc.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2019, 05:27:35 PM »
If anyone noticed marquette beats butler was actually "the lead" on espns ticket for the whole night after the game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2019, 08:02:40 PM »
If anyone noticed marquette beats butler was actually "the lead" on espns ticket for the whole night after the game.

Yes, somebody noticed ...

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »

I'm also Marriott committed, and not had many problems with FS1, but FS2 is less likely.  But, I have YouTubeTV, so can always pull either up on my computer too.  For $40/mo during hoops season, it's a good investment.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2019, 11:41:32 PM »
  hulu live has em all and yess, i can pull em up on my phone or ipad anywhere anytime
don't...don't don't don't don't

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2019, 02:29:09 AM »

In San Antonio and both the Holiday Inn and Marriott did not have FS1

chren21

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2019, 05:07:51 AM »
In San Antonio and both the Holiday Inn and Marriott did not have FS1

I stay in Marriott brands a lot as well and it comes down to the provider as stated above.  I believe if the property has Dtv then likely they will have FS1. If their provider is worldcinema or other then they likely will not.  Most of the properties I have stayed in do not have FS1 and it is annoying as I then watch on my phone with the fox sports app.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2019, 07:40:47 AM »
Does anyone know a good option for viewing while overseas? I’m going to be in Singapore and Malaysia at the end of the month and I know some of the apps like FoxSportsGo on the iPhone don’t work when out of the country.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »
Does anyone know a good option for viewing while overseas? I’m going to be in Singapore and Malaysia at the end of the month and I know some of the apps like FoxSportsGo on the iPhone don’t work when out of the country.

Get a VPN and sign in to your cable provider. Or you can use VIP sports or Firstrowsports
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2019, 02:40:08 PM »
So, today on Sirius XM. The show called the "Playbook" host are Jason Horowitz and Sean Farnham had FOX Sports own Tim Brando on!
One of the questions asked was outside of Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue, who do you also like in the Big Ten. So, Brando went to say Iowa, Wisconsin, Maryland blah, blah, blah. Great thing was Brando keeps on talking and said, outside the Big Ten, I'm going to mention this team that is at the top of the Big East and is getting zero respect is, both host said Villanova. Brando said, yes I have them this Saturday on FOX, but it's Marquette. He gives the Hauser brothers tons of love and pimps out Markus Howard for player of year!! Heck, he even talks about Theo John!!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:52:16 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
-Bill Walton

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2019, 04:26:31 AM »

Reddit's NCAABBallStreams works well.  You just have to click the X and Chicos' face angrily popping up at the beginning.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2019, 05:11:47 AM »

If you have FS1 at home cant you watch via an app on your phone such as fox sports. u-verse. comcast, etc.

Yes u can i was traveling and watched 2-3 on fox sports go and the cbs sports on on the cbs app
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2019, 12:18:03 PM »
ESPN will turn Markus into Zion for a bit on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/marquettembb/status/1093201953121808385?s=21

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2019, 12:38:17 PM »

My question is will they preview the Villanova/Marquette on Saturday during Gameday?
-Bill Walton

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2019, 01:46:35 PM »

Awesome that MU alum Jen Lada is on this assignment!

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2019, 02:12:45 PM »
My question is will they preview the Villanova/Marquette on Saturday during Gameday?

No, I have it on good authority this segment is just to get Markus’ thoughts on how quickly Wojo will take the Duke job.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
No, I have it on good authority this segment is just to get Markus’ thoughts on how quickly Wojo will take the Duke job.

I believe Markus was also asked to comment on how unbelievable Zion Williamson is.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2019, 08:16:09 AM »
Both Bilas and Medcalf giving MU and Markus love.  Bilas thinks we're a top 10 team and FF contender and Medcalf had Markus as one of the top players not named Zion favored in the Wooden,

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25988799/jay-bilas-1-68-college-basketball-rankings-tiers-valentine-day

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/woodenwatch021419/let-talk-markus-howard

feedback