[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette PT program  (Read 3186 times)

MUEng92

• All American
Marquette PT program
« on: January 26, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
Anyone know the average starting salary for an MU PT grad?  How does it compare to other WI schools like Carroll?

I'm sensing a pending college decision for my daughter may be highly influenced by financial considerations.  I would LOVE if she went to MU like my wife and I did and she REALLY wants to go to MU. I just don't know if I can support what could be a huge financial difference between less desired schools that to this point have offered enough to get to public school levels.  There is a remote possibility of additional MU scholarships but she hasn't heard anything yet.

Any comments?

warriorchick

• All American
Re: Marquette PT program
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 05:32:38 PM »
Anyone know the average starting salary for an MU PT grad?  How does it compare to other WI schools like Carroll?

I'm sensing a pending college decision for my daughter may be highly influenced by financial considerations.  I would LOVE if she went to MU like my wife and I did and she REALLY wants to go to MU. I just don't know if I can support what could be a huge financial difference between less desired schools that to this point have offered enough to get to public school levels.  There is a remote possibility of additional MU scholarships but she hasn't heard anything yet.

Any comments?

I don't think a Marquette PT grad will necessarily get more money than someone from Carroll or the like for any given job.  But because Marquette is a top program, my guess is that an MU grad will get more job interviews and  will be able to have more choices in the job they take, whether that is career path opportunity, geographic location, type of work performed, etc.

In other words, in most cases, a job pays what it pays, especially at the entry level.  But having a Marquette  degree on a resume will give someone a leg up over someone who graduated from a less prestigious program.  I think that is true whether you are talking about PT or Accounting or Engineering.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:55:19 PM »
As long as it's a top 100 program, the entry PT pay is relatively the same it's more about the number of interviews and/or opportunities. PT is a big market need but it also doesn't pay gangbusters either regardless of schooling. My wife has been an outpatient PT in the greater MKE area for 16 years with lots of continuous education activities and is the senior PT amongst a staff of 40 and is in the mid 80s range for a salary....starting these days is in the mid to upper 50s. Certainly a good income but if you are looking to go into significant debt to achieve it might not be the right call. She went to Madison with scholarships and some working through school but still came away with some debt, MU has the potential to be much larger debt

All depends on if there is any way to defray the cost of MU, because there are multiple state schools that would be cheaper and wouldn't not significantly impact the job opportunities.

Just my experience, or the wife's anyway
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 07:58:44 PM »
It don't matta, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 08:09:06 PM »
4ever
Sometimes you really make my fxxkin day. You delivered again.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 08:14:36 PM »

Any comments?
She gets two wins with MU.Good reputation  of PT department . Second win is she has a better chance at meeting a nice young man with a chance to be successful at MU. Life is short so go with the better option, don't settle for second best. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 08:16:28 PM »
Pay will be about the same starting, no matter where she goes. $$$$ will depend on where she wants to work (rural makes more money) or what kind of setting (nursing homes make more then outpatient). MU or Carroll is nice in that they guarantee you a spot in the program before your freshman year instead of having to re-apply your junior or senior year.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 08:17:22 PM »
Send me a PM with any questions. I’m actually on a plane back from a national PT conference.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »
She gets two wins with MU.Good reputation  of PT department . Second win is she has a better chance at meeting a nice young man with a chance to be successful at MU. Life is short so go with the better option, don't settle for second best.

FFS, I had to deal with comments like that when I was choosing a school in 1980. I thought we had gotten past that sort of sexism, but apparently not.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 10:20:05 PM »
FFS, I had to deal with comments like that when I was choosing a school in 1980. I thought we had gotten past that sort of sexism, but apparently not.

In Herman Cain's world, women still ride bicycles side saddle
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 10:22:20 PM »

You're talking about the guy who gets young women intentionally intoxicated for the purpose of having unprotected sex with them.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 10:27:13 PM »

O pleeze Honeybunz! Wee kant all bee so hot like ewe. Hermie's got it write, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 01:12:41 AM »
As long as it's a top 100 program, the entry PT pay is relatively the same it's more about the number of interviews and/or opportunities. PT is a big market need but it also doesn't pay gangbusters either regardless of schooling. My wife has been an outpatient PT in the greater MKE area for 16 years with lots of continuous education activities and is the senior PT amongst a staff of 40 and is in the mid 80s range for a salary....starting these days is in the mid to upper 50s. Certainly a good income but if you are looking to go into significant debt to achieve it might not be the right call. She went to Madison with scholarships and some working through school but still came away with some debt, MU has the potential to be much larger debt

All depends on if there is any way to defray the cost of MU, because there are multiple state schools that would be cheaper and wouldn't not significantly impact the job opportunities.

Just my experience, or the wife's anyway

Really?  $50-80k for a PT?  Would have thought they would be at least 6 figs.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 06:52:04 AM »

I started mid-50s 13 years ago in Chicago, and it hasn’t upticked that much. Big problems now with insurance reimbursement going down/ staying same and salaries stagnant with college costs inflating. You can see why mid-level providers (PA/NP) are a more attractive career. My wife is an NP, who makes 25% more then I do and she has about half as much experience as me.

One of my colleagues went to state school for undergrad and PT school and had ~$800/ month on loans on $3200 take home per month. You can see where finances get tight, especially when you have children.

All that being said, I love it. The relationships I made with people when I worked in outpatient and the opportunities to work with world class athletes was something I had dreamed about. I now work within an emergency department of a hospital, seeing patients on the “front line” which is equally rewarding.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 10:18:45 AM »

Nope, PT/OT is a huge market space/money maker for healthcare but unless you go into geriatric/assisted living type jobs(because nobody wants to do them) you just can't get above 6 figures unless you move into management which means largely giving up patient care.

My wife's gone as far up the chain as she cares to so unless she changes hospital systems where she could get a signing bonus there is not any kind of salary growth other than basic COLA type stuff

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 02:50:10 PM »
Maybe I should just let my wife write this, but I think there is a pay scale difference between those who graduated 15-20 years ago with Masters degree PT licenses and those who graduate now with Doctor of PT licenses.  She didnt have any trouble finding a job 7 years ago when we graduated MU, and has gotten significant raises every year, now making mid 80Ks.

She is still paying off her student loans, but we’re certainly not overburdened.  And that’s with me making pennies as a Catholic school teacher.

I can’t say much for the quality of Carroll’s program vs MUs, but my wife complains all the time about the Rosalind Franklin grads she works with because they seem less prepared and professional.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:55:57 PM by SaveOD238 »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 12:19:36 PM »

You took my advice and on both of my points it worked out for you. You benefited from MU reputation and now your a fancy corporate executive.  Second You met a nice young man who was successful and now you two have a great family who are doing well .  Sometimes the common sense approach to life is better than getting all worked up over perceived prejudices when in fact there are none. 

---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 12:24:40 PM »
You took my advice and on both of my points it worked out for you. You benefited from MU reputation and now your a fancy corporate executive.  Second You met a nice young man who was successful and now you two have a great family who are doing well .  Sometimes the common sense approach to life is better than getting all worked up over perceived prejudices when in fact there are none.

WTF are you talking about?  I came to Marquette because "finding a good husband" was the advice I was getting from the colleges in Tennessee.

Just because things turned out that way, doesn't mean I used that in my decision-making.
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 12:46:25 PM »
WTF are you talking about?  I came to Marquette because "finding a good husband" was the advice I was getting from the colleges in Tennessee.

Just because things turned out that way, doesn't mean I used that in my decision-making.
It seems like the Tennessee colleges had great foresight even if you didn't take their advice at the time.

Any way my greater point is MU gives better optionality to a young person than brand x small college .  Part of the  collegiate optionality is greater access to suitable spouse no matter what gender. Me and Mrs. Cain factored that in to all the Cain kids college decisions and are not embarrassed to say so.  Was it the headline thing of course not. We looked at Academics, Alumni, Coaching staff etc but we did consider it in  pushing  our kids in certain directions.

---Al McGuire

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 12:59:40 PM »
It seems like the Tennessee colleges had great foresight even if you didn't take their advice at the time.

Any way my greater point is MU gives better optionality to a young person than brand x small college .  Part of the  collegiate optionality is greater access to suitable spouse no matter what gender. Me and Mrs. Cain factored that in to all the Cain kids college decisions and are not embarrassed to say so.  Was it the headline thing of course not. We looked at Academics, Alumni, Coaching staff etc but we did consider it in  pushing  our kids in certain directions.

My dude, you are way out of tune now if you think any of these millenials/Gen Z kids are looking for their MR and MRS degrees. I'm it was gross and outdated 30 years ago but it's simply not a thing now.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »

Any comments?

My daughter needs another month or two for a decision (not PT major) as she waits on a few more applications, regardless I think she would have picked Marquette already were not for financial considerations.  MU offered her a fairly decent scholarship, but two other Midwest Jesuit institutions are throwing major scholarship funds at her that make it hard to ignore.  She has decent offers from two other universities in the South too.

I heard you can try to negotiate, but was curious if 1) MU just gave her what they normally would give a student of her grades/scores/application or 2) MU low-balled the offer knowing my daughter's father (me) went there as well as her uncle and aunt thinking there was a built in bias.  My niece and nephew are Seniors in Minnesota and have been accepted also and I know she has much better test scores and grades and she was only offered a sliver more.  MU is my niece and nephews favorite choice also, but they are worrying more about finances than my daughter.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »
My dude, you are way out of tune now if you think any of these millenials/Gen Z kids are looking for their MR and MRS degrees. I'm it was gross and outdated 30 years ago but it's simply not a thing now.
I agree that it is mostly out of the vanguard of current thinking. However you would be surprised to know there are still quite a few who do think that way. That is why the wedding announcements in the Sunday newspaper are popular.
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 03:26:51 PM »
I agree that it is mostly out of the vanguard of current thinking. However you would be surprised to know there are still quite a few who do think that way. That is why the wedding announcements in the Sunday newspaper are popular.

It's 2019. The Sunday paper itself isn't even popular anymore.
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 03:27:03 PM »
My daughter started working as an OT last fall.    Started at $70k, working in suburban Baltimore.   FYI, she picked her college because she could get a masters in OT in 5 years rather than 6.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »

The lasses at St Mary in South Bend would disagree.