[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Goodbye Miller Park  (Read 14745 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Goodbye Miller Park
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2019, 06:24:20 PM »
The original one is at Lakefront Brewery.  They used to let people who took the tour slide down it, but they had to stop because lawyers and insurance.

Mostly because some of us got a little too lubricated to slide down it safely
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2019, 07:01:01 PM »
Mostly because some of us got a little too lubricated to slide down it safely

I miss the good old days before the bar was even built. They would just have a keg of Riverwest upstairs and another keg of something else downstairs which you would just go up to get as much as you would like. Best $5 every Friday.

No tokens. No bartenders. No crowds. No sobriety.
But I like to throw handfuls...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2019, 07:37:33 PM »
I miss the good old days before the bar was even built. They would just have a keg of Riverwest upstairs and another keg of something else downstairs which you would just go up to get as much as you would like. Best $5 every Friday.

No tokens. No bartenders. No crowds. No sobriety.

Started going there at least every other Friday in 2000, have a helluva time there then find our way to Wolskis to close it then try to figure out a way home....
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2019, 01:13:49 AM »
The Lakefront tour  is a sad shadow of what it was back in the day.  Sad!

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2019, 06:47:10 AM »
It is starting to sound like you guys need sweater vests.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2019, 07:07:08 AM »

Make Lakefront Brewery Great Again.

Chili

• All American

🏀

• All American

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2019, 01:46:29 PM »

The Lakefront tour is a shadow of what it was on Chambers St. where you could even buy your homebrewing supplies after the tour.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »
The Lakefront tour is a shadow of what it was on Chambers St. where you could even buy your homebrewing supplies after the tour.

I like telling this story. 
My brother graduated MU, 2 years after me.  His Senior year, I few out to see him with two (2) Connecticut friends of ours who were on their spring break (UConn & Bryant College) to see him.  (MU's break was the week before.)  It was a typical Marquette weekend and they had an absolute blast and could not believe that what they experienced was typical. 
One additional thing we did over the weekend was take the Lakefront Tour with the Klisch Brothers.  The tour was great, but all I remember was it basically was all in their garage.  "Here's where we make the beer.  Here's where we bottle.  Here's what we make.  Who wants to sample?"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2019, 04:01:57 PM »
That's really cool.

Kinda sucks I think.  Seems like it is replacing the bullpen sports bar, which was the coolest place in any park I'd ever been. 

You could have any ticket in the park and get there early and sit field level to watch the game.  It was amazing.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2019, 04:29:29 PM »
Started going there at least every other Friday in 2000, have a helluva time there then find our way to Wolskis to close it then try to figure out a way home....

I have to say Eng that's impressive.  Honestly, chick and I weren't even aware of Lakefront in the early 2000s.  It wasn't until our daughter went to MU.  Of course in 2000 I was coaching 'pop-up net' soccer and doing other dad things and those were a great joy too.  You'll get there too young fella.   ;D

Chili

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2019, 08:46:37 AM »
This article lines up more with what I heard from my old coworkers at MC that they couldn't figure out funding for naming rights and were more than happy to keep other marketing assets.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/tom-haudricourt/2019/01/29/haudricourt-millercoors-indifference-led-amfam-deal-brewers/2705516002/?fbclid=IwAR0bevZ9PfMTpcoJjyPJamB8st08LDPL6HPQtmWssVAo_e6gCh7oJeKVWLQ

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2019, 10:20:40 AM »
This article lines up more with what I heard from my old coworkers at MC that they couldn't figure out funding for naming rights and were more than happy to keep other marketing assets.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/tom-haudricourt/2019/01/29/haudricourt-millercoors-indifference-led-amfam-deal-brewers/2705516002/?fbclid=IwAR0bevZ9PfMTpcoJjyPJamB8st08LDPL6HPQtmWssVAo_e6gCh7oJeKVWLQ

My family, who is acting as if they are renaming the Taj Mahal instead of a 18 year old baseball park, will not be satisfied by this article.  But it makes sense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Chili

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2019, 10:24:57 AM »

My family, who is acting as if they are renaming the Taj Mahal instead of a 18 year old baseball park, will not be satisfied by this article.  But it makes sense.

Ha! That's a great line. I have friends who have the same feelings. It all comes down to ROI and for Miller (brands & wholesalers) what sells more cases and improves $ / bbl contribution. 

Bocephys

• All American

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2019, 05:11:02 PM »
$4m a year is peanuts .. Miller must be in big cash flow trouble to pass.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2019, 05:46:43 PM »

Brand teams didn't see the value in their investment. They have the money just would rather spend it elsewhere.

Also, when stadiums change names the prices are typically at a discount vs. the original name since the build up equity and 1st to market value is gone. So the fact AMFAM is paying a 100% premium on what MC was is shocking.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:04:22 PM by Chili »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2019, 06:00:16 PM »

Indeed

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2019, 06:47:56 PM »
The brewers new spring training complex in AZ is called American Family Fields of Phoenix.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2019, 07:12:04 PM »
Brand teams didn't see the value in their investment. They have the money just would rather spend it elsewhere.

Also, when stadiums change names the prices are typically at a discount vs. the original name since the build up equity and 1st to market value is gone. So the fact AMFAM is paying a 100% premium on what MC was is shocking.

True

True

But $4m still ridiculously low overall.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2019, 08:36:04 PM »
The brewers new spring training complex in AZ is called American Family Fields of Phoenix.

WPS Fields has a ring two it, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2019, 10:04:06 PM »
I have to say Eng that's impressive.  Honestly, chick and I weren't even aware of Lakefront in the early 2000s.  It wasn't until our daughter went to MU.  Of course in 2000 I was coaching 'pop-up net' soccer and doing other dad things and those were a great joy too.  You'll get there too young fella.   ;D

MU was doing a tour on Reunion Weekends since 1991,  I would say?  Drunk Bernie slides were a part of the tour.  Filling the keg prior to Bung Hole tapping was also a part of the tour, often leading to major foam spray.  Leverne and Shirley came from tour goers, iirc. There were no wooden nickels for beer, just beer.  The laminated slides are actually the only purely original things left.

Lawyers are fun ruiners.

Still a great tour.  Curds are the best.

feedback