[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[Today at 03:02:03 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Goodbye Miller Park  (Read 14724 times)

Warriors4ever

• All American
Re: Goodbye Miller Park
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2019, 05:46:52 PM »
I, along with my other White Sox fan friends, call it Sox Park -not the Cell, not Guaranteed Rate Field, not new Comiskey, ever. I imagine in this instance that it will always be Miller Park.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2019, 06:29:44 PM »
I think the name Miller Park is different than the other examples.  I wouldn't be surprised if 50% of fans outside Milwaukee didn't even realize it was a Miller Brewing sponsorship.  It just sounds like a last name.  I think it's a totally different situation from changing from AT&T to something else and I think it will be many years before a new name catches on.

I'm approaching (who am I kidding, I'm in) middle age, so I'm comfortable saying, "you'll damn well never catch me calling it anything but Miller Park".  And I'm a Cubs fan.

And BTW, I'll also NEVER refer to the big building in Chicago as anything but the Sears Tower.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2019, 06:32:50 PM »
The difference between this and other naming deals is the integration. Miller is closely tied to the Brewers in name, location, font script. I can't really think of one that is so closely tied to the team brand. Don't blame Miller for not re-upping, though. (West Bend) Silver Lining - at least it's not Foxconn Field

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2019, 07:34:17 PM »
There is no way Miller Park will be the naming rights for two more seasons. I bet their deal will be paid off by AmFam before the 2020 season.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2019, 07:54:13 PM »
I, along with my other White Sox fan friends, call it Sox Park -not the Cell, not Guaranteed Rate Field, not new Comiskey, ever. I imagine in this instance that it will always be Miller Park.

It's called the G-Spot
Maigh Eo for Sam

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2019, 08:28:31 PM »
It's called the G-Spot

Impossible, you can see it from the highway

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2019, 08:59:32 PM »
As a company Miller seems to be STRUGGLING. Perhaps passing on the reup is related.

From one report that I read, it was the Brewers who approached AmFam.

As an aside, "AmFam" has a nice ring to it.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2019, 10:30:15 PM »
Good grief.  It is the name of a building.  How could it possibly matter. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2019, 10:58:54 PM »

Exactly. I have no idea why people get upset by stuff like this.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2019, 07:36:17 AM »

Well....if they re-named Yankee Stadium the whole city would riot. History matters!

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2019, 08:03:03 AM »
Most people call the Brewers stadium Wrigley Field North.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2019, 08:04:10 AM »

Wrigley Field certainly sounded like Miller Park as the Brewers wrapped up the division title there a couple months ago.  Those "M-V-P" chants rang loud and clear even through TV, and even Cubs fans knew by then that damn well wasn't Javier Baez.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:08:32 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »

Most people? How about no one that lives within 50 miles of it calls it that.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2019, 09:24:52 AM »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2019, 09:29:38 AM »
Well....if they re-named Yankee Stadium the whole city would riot. History matters!

If they tried to rename Lambeau the entire state would burn
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2019, 09:31:56 AM »
As a company Miller seems to be STRUGGLING. Perhaps passing on the reup is related.

From one report that I read, it was the Brewers who approached AmFam.

As an aside, "AmFam" has a nice ring to it.

MillerCoors is doing fine financially but MKE is no longer a major concern for the corporation (either the partnership or for the larger global owner) so it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money. Partnership headquarters are in Denver so I'm 100% confident Coors Field remains unchanged
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2019, 10:11:55 AM »
Not people in Wisconsin.  ;)
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2019, 10:15:04 AM »
MillerCoors is doing fine financially but MKE is no longer a major concern for the corporation (either the partnership or for the larger global owner) so it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money. Partnership headquarters are in Denver so I'm 100% confident Coors Field remains unchanged

MillerCoors HQ is in Chicago not Denver. Molson Coors Global HQ is in Montreal Denver (edit)

From what I have heard back is that the Miller Brand Teams which contributed to the naming rights deal (I would guess this would predominantly be the Lite team with some kick in from High Life & maybe Leinies) along with the local marketing teams & WI wholesalers could not be agreed upon what contributions would be needed to compete with the AmFam offer.

I think what you'll see now is a larger in game activation for Miller brands in the ballpark. Miller has always held the rights to build out and brand Bernie's Slide back to a mug of beer. There was talk quite a while back about making the slide look like flowing beer being poured out of bottle that Bernie would ride down.

As an overall asset, Miller will 99.9% stay the official beer (in some capacity) of the Brewers. You may see the Brewers do something like the White Sox did where they split up their beer sponsorships to Domestic, Import, Craft, Spirit, etc.

End of the day beer sales are what really matter and if the ROI isn't there you're better off with a different investment. Miller is still a founding sponsor with a Founders Suite plus a ton of other assets. Just losing the name isn't going to crush them.

Now the Brand Teams will divert their resources
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:30:29 PM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2019, 11:14:09 AM »

Ignorant Cubbie fans are not “most people”.

However, “most people” abhor assaulting women. “Most people” who call Miller Park “Wrigley Field North” apparently do not.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »
If they tried to rename Lambeau the entire state would burn

Lambeau, Yankee Stadium, Busch Stadium, Fenway and Wrigley would be tough to change.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2019, 12:38:06 PM »
I'm just now coming around to calling the Astros' stadium Minute Maid Park. It will always be Enron Field in my heart.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2019, 12:48:23 PM »
MillerCoors HQ is in Chicago not Denver. Global HQ is in Montreal.

Most of what you wrote is mostly correct, however the part in bold is not.  Global HQ is in Denver.  Montreal is the HQ for MC Canada.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »
Lambeau, Yankee Stadium, Busch Stadium, Fenway and Wrigley would be tough to change.
Those are good ones, although Wrigley technically is a corporate name, but I don't think they're paying for naming rights.
You could probably add Soldier Field and Madison Square Garden.  (MSG is the only NBA arena without a corporate name).
I could see these eventually getting some type of corporate tie-in: Dodger Stadium, Arrowhead Stadium, Broncos Stadium at Mile High, Oriole Park at Camden Yards,
I'm actually surprised these don't have corporate names right now: Angel Stadium, Kauffman Stadium, Marlins Park, Nationals Park, Oakland/Alameda County Coliseum (McAfee was OK but O.co was terrible).

Personally, I don't like the change and will just continue to call it Miller Park.  Heck, I still call us the Warriors 25 years later.  However, I think this will damage the Brewers brand more than people realize.  The association with Miller helped portray the stadium as a fun place to go for entertainment.  Beer and baseball go together better than any other sport.  A good chunk of their attendance is people just going for a fun time, and baseball is secondary.  I think changing the name eliminates that connection and will make it a slightly less fun place to go in people's minds.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2019, 01:12:33 PM »
50k signatures aren't gonna overturn a multi-million dollar deal but found this interesting

I liked this part: As of January 22, 2019 the Milwaukee Brewers organization and MillerCoors have announced that American Family Insurance will become the naming rights sponsor starting in 2021. This means that the park will become named some iteration of American Family Insurance and Miller Park will cease to exist.

Um.... the park will still be there. I guess I would ask all of the women who signed the petition if they cease to exist when they get married and take their husband's last name.