[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MU82
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Future of football  (Read 2769 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Future of football
« on: January 17, 2019, 02:46:12 PM »
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/25776964/insurance-market-football-evaporating-causing-major-threat-nfl-pop-warner-colleges-espn

While this doesn't cause immediate worries for the future of the NFL, it is certainly going to affect youth and high school football's future.

No insurance = no youth football?

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: Future of football
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »
I know Cudahy is hurting very hard in football numbers.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:42:08 AM »
It will go the way of drunk driving (thanks MADD), smoking, boxing, and racketball.  Bicycle racing and speed skating, bumper cars, EST, are all in the dust bin of history.  Add football, ND, and some, unnamed, political parties.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 07:00:07 AM »
It will go the way of drunk driving (thanks MADD), smoking, boxing, and racketball.  Bicycle racing and speed skating, bumper cars, EST, are all in the dust bin of history.  Add football, ND, and some, unnamed, political parties.

Why you hating on the Whigs?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 07:15:56 AM »
I thought he meant Federalist, but Whig works.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 07:34:03 AM »

Hey, we're still here, we just folded into the Alliance Party.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:39:13 AM »

Yeeaah.......

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »

I'll let you know if a few weeks at the Super Bowl if it looks like things are in decline.  Apparently they are looking to cancel the game is the word.

Incidentally, boxing still exists, as does smoking, and people drive drunk....I still play racquetball (not sure what racketball is).  Tour de France, alive and well....speed skating, we can't get enough every 4 years.  Bumper cars...yup, still around.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 01:42:27 PM »
I know Cudahy is hurting very hard in football numbers.

High school football participation rates are declining every year across the country.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 01:50:13 PM »

Personally, I can't wait for the extinction of all political parties, named and unnamed.  The ridding of Eastern Standard Time is a major bonus as well.

The future is bright, so sayeth the vogue.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 03:33:25 PM »
High school football participation rates are declining every year across the country.

"Overall, the number of high schools sponsoring football (combining 6-, 8-, 9- and 11-player) increased by 29 schools – from 15,457 to 15,486."

Participation is up for 6 and 8 player football.

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/high-school-sports-participation-increases-for-29th-consecutive-year/

11 player football is in decline, on average about 1.5 players per school.  We'll see how it shakes out.  They have some issues, they are trying to address them. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 03:53:06 PM »

Yeah boxing is totally dead nobody tuned in for Cotto vs Canelo, or the Mayweather fights, or Wilder Fury. Just because you might not be in that world does not mean it's gone away.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 06:38:55 PM »
Yeah boxing is totally dead nobody tuned in for Cotto vs Canelo, or the Mayweather fights, or Wilder Fury. Just because you might not be in that world does not mean it's gone away.

I think that by saying boxing is dead, he is saying it is nowhere near what it was back 30+ years ago.

Back in the 70s and 80s - before Kenosha had cable TV - I would have a crowd at my house every time there was a big fight on HBO (I lived in Racine). Not one of the guys who came over has any interest in boxing now.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 11:35:02 PM »
I think that by saying boxing is dead, he is saying it is nowhere near what it was back 30+ years ago.

Back in the 70s and 80s - before Kenosha had cable TV - I would have a crowd at my house every time there was a big fight on HBO (I lived in Racine). Not one of the guys who came over has any interest in boxing now.

In fairness, if your house was the only place to watch the fight, the lot of us would lose all interest in boxing, too.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 11:15:50 PM »
Speaking of boxing, tonight was a bloody mess.  Wow, i’ve Never seen a gash that big and deep, bleeding for 5+ rounds.  Holy crap, my wife was going to puke.  It was gnarly.....

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 04:14:39 AM »
Speaking of boxing, tonight was a bloody mess.  Wow, i’ve Never seen a gash that big and deep, bleeding for 5+ rounds.  Holy crap, my wife was going to puke.  It was gnarly.....

Tried to set my alarm to wake up for it but slept through. Stupid time change is making me miss all the good fights
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 09:46:48 AM »
Tried to set my alarm to wake up for it but slept through. Stupid time change is making me miss all the good fights

Honestly it was awful.  When they were working the cut at the end it opened up and I swear you could see his skull.  My wife about puked.  I was supposed to go as the revenue responsibility is with my team, but opted out so another could go instead.  Kind of glad. Person that went said they showed it on the big screen and people were nauseous.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:56:23 AM by Cheeks »

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »
I think he was saying that from a long term perspective, strategically speaking, football is dead. 

When the mothers trun against something it is over.   When mothers stop allowing their children to get concussions, football will end or the sport will become touch football.

I think he is saying that there was a time when bicycle racing existed at Madison Sq. Garden.

Boxing is big in the third world, not in civilized societies.  Civilized societies don't have people bringing guns into hospitals, churches or restaurant's.

I think he could have added a long list of sports fads like bowling, golf, and bridge.  He wonders if the students still play bridge at the student union.  He remembers when bridge was a BIG thing on campus.

Just because something is big today does not mean it will be big tomorrow. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 09:10:57 AM »
Boxing is big in the third world, not in civilized societies. 

That is quite the statement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »
I think he was saying that from a long term perspective, strategically speaking, football is dead. 

When the mothers trun against something it is over.   When mothers stop allowing their children to get concussions, football will end or the sport will become touch football.

In my opinion, it will be far more significant when the insurance companies turn against football.  I've been saying that for years, and it appears that it is happening.  If schools cannot obtain insurance covering football (or if it becomes prohibitively expensive), they'll stop offering football.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »
In my opinion, it will be far more significant when the insurance companies turn against football.  I've been saying that for years, and it appears that it is happening.  If schools cannot obtain insurance covering football (or if it becomes prohibitively expensive), they'll stop offering football.

You are correct, that and the mothers.
In my career I was tangently involved with the liability insurance at a helmet manufacturer.  The claims were astronomical.  Also, in division 3 football the players don't get adequate medical care either, what a mess.  Not to mention the long term effects of concussion.