[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Scottie Pippen Says Zion Williamson Should "Shut It Down" And End Duke Career  (Read 19730 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
if ya build it, they will come

zion could have played for high point university and their gym wouldn't have had enough room for all the media
don't...don't don't don't don't

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Congratulations on your copypasta.
Nevermind the fact that we're talking about a high school kid who managed to get more Twitter followers than dozens of professional players (all of whom have the benefits of an NCAA school's platform and the NBA's platform).

Mostly NBA Stiff’s that few would care about. 

When Zion announced he was going to Duke his followers increased.  Since attending Duke they have increased more.

Don’t get me wrong, he had started his brand long before, but by going to Duke he was now on center stage.  A school that is on TV all the time.  He didn’t choose to go to a school that he could put over the top, he went to a school already at the top of the mountain.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Seems you're saying that if Zion had gone to Marquette, everyone would know who he is. So he did not need the uber-brand that is Duke.

To Duke, he's a commodity to be used. I'm glad he used Duke, too.

He is more known going to Duke than MU, let that be clear.  If he went to MU, he would be more well known than if he went to Mississippi State...so on and so forth.

He chose a school already at the top of a mountain for a reason....launch platform, more exposure, etc, etc
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
I agree he didn't need it. But the difference in publicity between Chris Bassey at WKU and Zion is noticeable. Look at it like this, would dukes numbers be noticeably down if Kentucky has Zion and duke was still top 5? I doubt it.

Bingo.  Where he chose matters

Galway Eagle

• All American
Bingo.  Where he chose matters

I hate it when we agree. And it's been happening more than not with your resurgence.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
I hate it when we agree. And it's been happening more than not with your resurgence.

Smooch

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American

MU82

• All American
He is more known going to Duke than MU, let that be clear.  If he went to MU, he would be more well known than if he went to Mississippi State...so on and so forth.

He chose a school already at the top of a mountain for a reason....launch platform, more exposure, etc, etc

You have no idea why Zion chose Duke. Neither do I, but I don't pretend that I do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American

I think the NBA doesn't want to scout or deal with players right out of high school.  Lebron was clearly an exception to that rule, but there were a lot of bad decisions being made by high school seniors and the NBA wanted to distance itself from that.

I mean, there was a reason that rule was put in place.

You are right that NBA GMs do not want to scout or deal with high schoolers. And NBA coaches also don't want to have to deal with teenagers, especially those on bad teams whose GMs order the coaches to play not-ready teenagers.

However, NBA commish Adam Silver has said many times that he favors eliminating the 1-and-done rule and going back to letting kids come into the league right out of high school. And he has said he thinks that's what will happen.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/07/10/adam-silver-nba-one-and-done/773991002/

In the end, it will be collectively bargained.

All the folks who want athletes to have to spend 2 years in college will be very disappointed because the union is HIGHLY unlikely to agree to that. Far more likely that the best players will be going preps-to-pros again -- as both the great LeBron James and the slightly less than great Darius Miles did.

Zion Williamson obviously should not have to spend 7 months pretending to care about college -- if that's what he's doing. For all any of us know, he loves school.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
You have no idea why Zion chose Duke. Neither do I, but I don't pretend that I do.

I know the list of schools he was down to, and he chose to go to the one at the top of the mountain.  It was Clemson and Duke, he chose Duke.  I think educated people can guess why.  Better program, better platform, more exposure would be my intelligent guesses.  Yes, they are guesses.  I don't need to pretend on this one.

OH, I can also just listen to what Zion said himself.  I don't have to guess, I can just sit back and listen to him....unless you are saying he's a liar?  Best place to build his brand, best platform....DUKE!  Notice it was BUILD the brand, because despite these weird claims that his brand was already built and he didn't need Duke because hey, he had Twitter followers, he said BUILD his brand.  LOL

“It wasn’t just about basketball and what he could do for me in one year,” said Williamson, who is expected to only stay a year in college before turning pro. “It was how he can build Zion as a brand on and off the court for like the next 20 years and the rest of my life.”

MU82

• All American
I know the list of schools he was down to, and he chose to go to the one at the top of the mountain.  It was Clemson and Duke, he chose Duke.  I think educated people can guess why.  Better program, better platform, more exposure would be my intelligent guesses.  Yes, they are guesses.  I don't need to pretend on this one.

OH, I can also just listen to what Zion said himself.  I don't have to guess, I can just sit back and listen to him....unless you are saying he's a liar?  Best place to build his brand, best platform....DUKE!  Notice it was BUILD the brand, because despite these weird claims that his brand was already built and he didn't need Duke because hey, he had Twitter followers, he said BUILD his brand.  LOL

“It wasn’t just about basketball and what he could do for me in one year,” said Williamson, who is expected to only stay a year in college before turning pro. “It was how he can build Zion as a brand on and off the court for like the next 20 years and the rest of my life.”

Fair enough. Duke obviously is a good place to do brand-building.

Even Elton Brand-building!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger

All the folks who want athletes to have to spend 2 years in college will be very disappointed because the union is HIGHLY unlikely to agree to that. Far more likely that the best players will be going preps-to-pros again -- as both the great LeBron James and the slightly less than great Darius Miles did.

Zion Williamson obviously should not have to spend 7 months pretending to care about college -- if that's what he's doing. For all any of us know, he loves school.

Weird, but in his own words he said Duke will help him build his brand.  So maybe he finds some value in it.  At any rate, those are his words so let's not pay attention to them.

As for the straight to the Pros....please let it happen.  Stop the nonsense, I hope 100 of these guys declare each year, flood the NBA with talent that is unknown and force teams to take stretch guesses on how good they will be.  Going to be awesome.  The guys that know they belong in college will play in college, as it should be.  BRING. IT. ON.

MU82

• All American
As for the straight to the Pros....please let it happen.  Stop the nonsense, I hope 100 of these guys declare each year, flood the NBA with talent that is unknown and force teams to take stretch guesses on how good they will be.  Going to be awesome.  The guys that know they belong in college will play in college, as it should be.  BRING. IT. ON.

Well, it won't be 100 each year, but it will be plenty. Most won't make it, just as it was years ago.

I agree that these players going to the NBA won't hurt college basketball; might even help it as you suggest.

I feel the same about letting players transfer freely, without sitting out. Those screaming that it would be Armageddon for college hoops are drama queens.

Love to stay and chat, chicos, but I gotta get my beauty sleep. I need it more than most.

BallBoy

• All American
You are right that NBA GMs do not want to scout or deal with high schoolers. And NBA coaches also don't want to have to deal with teenagers, especially those on bad teams whose GMs order the coaches to play not-ready teenagers.

However, NBA commish Adam Silver has said many times that he favors eliminating the 1-and-done rule and going back to letting kids come into the league right out of high school. And he has said he thinks that's what will happen.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/07/10/adam-silver-nba-one-and-done/773991002/

In the end, it will be collectively bargained.

What many people forget is that the one and done was collectively bargain and agreed to by the players union. If the deal was so bad why would they and the answer is that it benefits them.

For every Lebron James there is an Eddie Curry and more. The NBA GMs could grab a player or two and stash them in the never going to play end of the bench and pay them league minimum in the hopes they break out. That doesn’t really hurt the GM but it does hurt the veteran players who are in years 5, 6, 7 of service who would have those positions and get paid a higher league minimum. By forcing them to go one extra year they were giving those veterans and extra year or more as players didn’t go early. It was a win for all parties.  Now we are seeing a excess of players leaving one and done. I think we will see a move to stash players in the dleague at lower than league minimum and it would be easier to do that if they can’t declare on their own after 1, 2,3 years in school.

The number of 1 and dones that flame out is also high.

cheebs09

• All American
Let’s not forget that Duke’s brand is building too because Zion is there. Duke gets a lot of publicity by being on Sportscenter. Their brand is more established but it’s still building.

Look at the conversation we are having about UCLA. Or look at Indiana. It’s hard to stay up on a blue blood level. Zion is helping them do that.

GGGG

• All American
What many people forget is that the one and done was collectively bargain and agreed to by the players union. If the deal was so bad why would they and the answer is that it benefits them.

For every Lebron James there is an Eddie Curry and more. The NBA GMs could grab a player or two and stash them in the never going to play end of the bench and pay them league minimum in the hopes they break out. That doesn’t really hurt the GM but it does hurt the veteran players who are in years 5, 6, 7 of service who would have those positions and get paid a higher league minimum. By forcing them to go one extra year they were giving those veterans and extra year or more as players didn’t go early. It was a win for all parties.  Now we are seeing a excess of players leaving one and done. I think we will see a move to stash players in the dleague at lower than league minimum and it would be easier to do that if they can’t declare on their own after 1, 2,3 years in school.

The number of 1 and dones that flame out is also high.

I would say though that the more built up G-League, including a franchise for the majority of NBA teams, creates a support network for these guys that wasn't in place 15-20 years ago.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Let’s not forget that Duke’s brand is building too because Zion is there. Duke gets a lot of publicity by being on Sportscenter. Their brand is more established but it’s still building.

Look at the conversation we are having about UCLA. Or look at Indiana. It’s hard to stay up on a blue blood level. Zion is helping them do that.

Sure, but as someone else said, players there for a short time....the program is the constant.  Duke does more for Zion then Zion does for Duke.  Coach K does more for Duke than anyone, and that is UCLA and IU’s challenge.  College ball the coach is key, pro ball it is the players.

WarriorHal

• All American
Why does the NFL have a three-and-done policy-- redshirt soph. or jr. -- and the NBA has a one-and-done policy?

Trevor Lawrence looked like an veteran NFL QB vs. 'Bama, yet he has to play for Clemson for two more seasons.

panda

• All American
After this season, Zion is getting a massive shoe deal, massive rookie contract and massive endorsements, because of Zion, not because of Duke. Are you kidding me?

Markusquette

• All American
I don't agree with the idea that he owes Duke nothing. Thit's isn't the actual language but the idea is "We pay your tuition (and all other fees and services) you play a basketball season for us." I think quitting now is going back on that deal.

Now if you're saying we should change things so that isn't the deal going forward, I could have that conversation. But right now I don't think it's right to go back on your end of the bargain. If you're worried about injury,  take out an insurance policy.

You're exactly right.

MU82

• All American
Why does the NFL have a three-and-done policy-- redshirt soph. or jr. -- and the NBA has a one-and-done policy?

Trevor Lawrence looked like an veteran NFL QB vs. 'Bama, yet he has to play for Clemson for two more seasons.

Because the NBA has a much stronger players union than the NFL, whose owners treat their players like well-paid but disposable slaves. Only a handful of NFL players even have guaranteed contracts.

A couple of players tried to challenge the NFL in court over this issue and lost, as they should. The NFL has every right to enforce its own employment rules, especially given that they have been endorsed by the NFLPA.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Because the NBA has a much stronger players union than the NFL, whose owners treat their players like well-paid but disposable slaves. Only a handful of NFL players even have guaranteed contracts.

A couple of players tried to challenge the NFL in court over this issue and lost, as they should. The NFL has every right to enforce its own employment rules, especially given that they have been endorsed by the NFLPA.

Here we go.....disposable slaves.   CHECK

Yup, the parallels are striking 

MU82

• All American
Here we go.....disposable slaves.   CHECK

Yup, the parallels are striking

Here we go ...

People dying of cancer ... and Tim Tebow dealing with folks who don't like him. CHECK

Yup, the parallels are striking.

forgetful

• All American

NBA and NFL players are treated infinitely better than any other employees in this country.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
More than 60% off NFL players receive guarantees or signing bonuses (which are by definition a guarantee of money).   Source: the National Football League

“Only a handful”.....   ::)