[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Man do I love the Hausers  (Read 72713 times)

larrym

• Starter
Re: Man do I love the Hausers
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
Coach gives star player star treatment.  A teammate is mad because he doesn't get more of a chance to show his stuff. Probably only happened a handful of times in the history of organized basketball.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2019, 09:08:59 PM »
Guys.....

More fodder....

Inside scoop from someone who knows Hauser’s parents:

“We were so hoping Markus would leave.  He'd discovered nobody NBA wanted.  Arrogant announcement "Dear Marquette,  I'm back" was the straw.  Sam & Joey are not used to losing.  3 Large School state championships. Real problems started just before losing streak.  Wojo called plays for Sam late in games.  Markus ignored them and took shots himself.  Meeting called.  Wojo made promises, but never kept - Markus just kept doing what he wanted.  Villanova game in Philly - we were up while Markus sat.  He returned and took poor shots that cost us the game.  Failing to win just two games to clinch the Big East with Markus continuing to hog and free lance.  He and Wojo are responsible for collapse.  Sam lost confidence in Wojo and saw no signs of controlling Markus - predicting more losses in to next year.  Sam has next level aspirations with never a chance to show his stuff.  Markus returned to try to bolster his NBA worth - my prediction is he will be a worse ball hog next year!
   Wojo has always been a terrible game coach.  Early with Rousey, Markus,  Rhinehardt and Sam, MU had to score 90 points to win a game.  When opponents figured us out, usually we would blow double digit half time leads to double digit second half losses.  Once they figured out how to stop Markus, Wojo had no answer.  One pro scout said Markus is a great shootder with terrible shot selection. He had more turnovers than assists - poor defender.  Wojo made promise to Sam he never even tried to keep.  We know the Hausers.  Quality family.  Parents did not make decision.  Sam did.  I had lunch with Dave Hauser and Jack Bennett last Friday.  He reported that Sam was in a very bad place.  They were hoping Markus would leave - and no chance Wojo would rein him in. What an idiot.”
That letter annoys me. Yeah I think Wojo really screwed this up but that letter reeks of entitlement. I don’t think that’s a great look for the Hauser’s either. What a sh*t show.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:16:01 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »
Yup.  Letter is for sure smug. Entitled. What have you.  Fact is better players step up.  Sam had plenty of looks.  No PG is what killed us.   Hausers have about as much nba credibility as markus does at this point. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2019, 09:43:43 PM »
Missing all those shots that Sammy Splash made down the stretch to warrant his arrogance.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2019, 10:41:20 PM »
Guys.....

More fodder....

“We were so hoping Markus would leave.  He'd discovered nobody NBA wanted.  Arrogant announcement "Dear Marquette,  I'm back" was the straw.  Sam & Joey are not used to losing.  3 Large School state championships. Real problems started just before losing streak.  Wojo called plays for Sam late in games.  Markus ignored them and took shots himself.  Meeting called.  Wojo made promises, but never kept - Markus just kept doing what he wanted.  Villanova game in Philly - we were up while Markus sat.  He returned and took poor shots that cost us the game.  Failing to win just two games to clinch the Big East with Markus continuing to hog and free lance.  He and Wojo are responsible for collapse.  Sam lost confidence in Wojo and saw no signs of controlling Markus - predicting more losses in to next year.  Sam has next level aspirations with never a chance to show his stuff.  Markus returned to try to bolster his NBA worth - my prediction is he will be a worse ball hog next year!
   Wojo has always been a terrible game coach.  Early with Rousey, Markus,  Rhinehardt and Sam, MU had to score 90 points to win a game.  When opponents figured us out, usually we would blow double digit half time leads to double digit second half losses.  Once they figured out how to stop Markus, Wojo had no answer.  One pro scout said Markus is a great shootder with terrible shot selection. He had more turnovers than assists - poor defender.  Wojo made promise to Sam he never even tried to keep.  We know the Hausers.  Quality family.  Parents did not make decision.  Sam did.  I had lunch with Dave Hauser and Jack Bennett last Friday.  He reported that Sam was in a very bad place.  They were hoping Markus would leave - and no chance Wojo would rein him in. What an idiot.”

OK, its a scooper quoting a guy who had lunch with the Dad of the guy who we're passing judgement on because of this paragraph that has a decided slant to it.  Maybe we need to be careful here.....remember it started with "its a scooper..."  ::)

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:03 PM »
Guys.....

More fodder....

So, you just kind of outed your source to the Hauser's, probably should have left the lunch last Friday part out.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2019, 07:22:59 AM »
That letter annoys me. Yeah I think Wojo really screwed this up but that letter reeks of entitlement. I don’t think that’s a great look for the Hauser’s either. What a sh*t show.
I think it reeks of last ditch desperation. All other options has been exhausted. And let’s not forget this letter wasn’t just from the Hausers so if it was entitlement that applies to all involved several of whom also considered transferring.

Wojo’s a lame duck dead man walking it would appear.
No Finish Line

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2019, 07:27:00 AM »
Yup.  Letter is for sure smug. Entitled. What have you.  Fact is better players step up.  Sam had plenty of looks.  No PG is what killed us.   Hausers have about as much nba credibility as markus does at this point.
Sort of matches Wojos coaching credibility
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2019, 08:23:52 AM »
I think it reeks of last ditch desperation. All other options has been exhausted. And let’s not forget this letter wasn’t just from the Hausers so if it was entitlement that applies to all involved several of whom also considered transferring.

Wojo’s a lame duck dead man walking it would appear.

I meant the comments by the friends of the parents.  That doesn't look good.

But I agree that Wojo, unless he performs as we expected a week ago, is a dead man walking.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

fjm

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2019, 08:28:52 AM »
A lot of people talking about how Howard got all the attention.

I remember atleast 4-5 articles just about the hauser brothers.
I also remember a 3-4 min special on Fox, National TV, about the hauser brothers.

I’m sorry it didn’t work out. It’s a bummer and saddening. But clearly there are many different facets to this.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2019, 09:36:29 AM »
So, allegedly this is all on Sam, and not Joey now?  We can all agree Markus took some ill advised shots, which he was making earlier in the year. Sam wasn't exactly lighting it up the last third of the season either.
Last 4 losses: Markus 27/78, Sam 24/62...not that big of a difference. If the rumors were true that Sam was pissed after the Buffalo game, WOW.

And by the way, the team new Markus was coming back well before the banquet. Apparently the Hauser parents didnt.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2019, 10:56:22 AM »

Honestly, if it was just a "hey coach, we want this addressed and the team is on board" thing, more a call for sharing the ball rather than anything accusatory, I don't think it's a terrible thing. I'm more disappointed that the existence of that letter was posted on 247 and here without the substance. It's the rampant speculation that has led to the feelings of entitlement and a divided "A vs B" locker room.

Reports of the letter were making the rounds by Sunday afternoon, before any of this was much in the public sphere. It should've stayed there. The only thing accomplished by letting it get out is sowing discord among the fans and possibly in the locker room next year.

This situation sucks. We're making it worse.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2019, 10:59:54 AM »
This situation sucks. We're making it worse.

So Marquette fans shouldn't want to talk about this crazy shyteshow in an interwebs forum set up specifically to discuss crap that only Marquette fans care (too much) about?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2019, 11:00:34 AM »
So, allegedly this is all on Sam, and not Joey now?  We can all agree Markus took some ill advised shots, which he was making earlier in the year. Sam wasn't exactly lighting it up the last third of the season either.
Last 4 losses: Markus 27/78, Sam 24/62...not that big of a difference. If the rumors were true that Sam was pissed after the Buffalo game, WOW.

And by the way, the team new Markus was coming back well before the banquet. Apparently the Hauser parents didnt.
To quote Henry Sugar's excellent analysis:

"Markus' usage the final seven games was 41%. He was taking 2x the shots of an average player.

His ORtg during this time that he was taking 2x the shots of an average player was 94, which is well below a quality player.

MU finished 1-6 in those games. Markus was a ballhog and selfish player and it cost MU the season."

Further, IIRC, in those last 7 games Sam had one game with an ORTG below 100, and Markus had only one above 100.

IF it is also true that Markus was disregarding called plays and freelancing, the problem becomes evident.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »

"Markus' usage the final seven games was 41%. He was taking 2x the shots of an average player.

His ORtg during this time that he was taking 2x the shots of an average player was 94, which is well below a quality player.

MU finished 1-6 in those games. Markus was a ballhog and selfish player and it cost MU the season."

Further, IIRC, in those last 7 games Sam had one game with an ORTG below 100, and Markus had only one above 100.

IF it is also true that Markus was disregarding called plays and freelancing, the problem becomes evident.

Nailed it, Smitty

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
So Marquette fans shouldn't want to talk about this crazy shyteshow in an interwebs forum set up specifically to discuss crap that only Marquette fans care (too much) about?

I'm referring specifically to the letter, which is all speculation without substance. Without anyone here having seen it, it's been used to go after virtually everyone involved with the team from the coaching staff to the Hausers to Howard to the rest of the players. It's basically just a straw man for anti-everyone hot takes.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2019, 11:05:14 AM »
I'm referring specifically to the letter, which is all speculation without substance. Without anyone here having seen it, it's been used to go after virtually everyone involved with the team from the coaching staff to the Hausers to Howard to the rest of the players. It's basically just a straw man for anti-everyone hot takes.

It's hard to disagree with this, brewski. Thanks for expounding on your thoughts.

But then again, mindless, baseless speculation has been a Scoop staple for years. Centuries, even.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »

The speculation comes from the dude on the Scout board. He claimed BACK IN MARCH that there was a letter.

Back in March, nobody other than maybe Jon Keefe, was claiming that there was a rift between Wojo and the Hausers.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2019, 11:30:55 AM »
The speculation comes from the dude on the Scout board. He claimed BACK IN MARCH that there was a letter.

Back in March, nobody other than maybe Jon Keefe, was claiming that there was a rift between Wojo and the Hausers.

The totality of the evidence of said letter is a post from an anonymous person on the interwebs. And even if there were a letter - and 'm not saying there is or is not - we have absolutely no idea of what the letter contained.

Which makes it all the more hilarious that we have Scoopers today who didn't know about the letter 24 hours ago now writing detailed descriptions of what was written therein.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2019, 11:32:53 AM »
Which makes it all the more hilarious that we have Scoopers today who didn't know about the letter 24 hours ago now writing detailed descriptions of what was written therein.

Bingo!

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »
Bingo!

Haha true
The ability of the internet to run with any rumor
I still call the whole letter as BS.  No one sends a letter 😂
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2019, 12:02:54 PM »

markus did not.cost them the season. Markus got them to that position. There is plenty of blame to go around.

dannyb334

• Walk-On
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2019, 12:06:58 PM »

I've seen comments about Sam's vs. Markus's ORTG a few times now. I think that it's important to remind people that it's efficiency stats like ORTG are generally skewed higher/lower with less usage, while also favoring players who play around the rim more often. I mean, Matt Heldt had the highest ORTG in NCAA basketball in 2017-18. I love Matt, but that's just insane. To the same point, Boban Marjanovic had the highest offensive efficiency in the NBA for a good part of the season as well.

Beginning with the Nova game (2/27) and going 1-6 the rest of the way, Markus had a usage rate of 40.8 - good for 3rd in the NCAA - while sporting an abysmal ORTG of 97.5.

During the same timeframe, Joey - on 19.6 usage (second on the team) - had an even lower ORTG of 91.5 (!!). Sam was great, and had a 112 ORTG to show for it, but only on 17.7 usage. His usage was lower than Markus, Joey, and ED MORROW. Ed did great work at the end of the season, but he should not have a higher usage that Sam.

This could be a function of Sam not getting the ball enough (it's not) or getting keyed on more by defenses (probably, yes), but we do need to remember that if he was operating at 40.8 usage there's no way his ORTG is much higher than Howard's. I don't even want to think about Joey's ORTG if his usage was 40.8 either.

Bottomline, there are very few players who should be using that many possessions, and Markus needs to realize the days he doesn't have "it" and distribute the ball more. However, you cannot claim that Markus's high usage ruined this season down the stretch. There are a plethora of factors that go into it, including subpar offense by multiple key players and insanely high turnover rates.

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2019, 12:08:04 PM »
markus did not.cost them the season. Markus got them to that position. There is plenty of blame to go around.
Can't blame your second team all american for this

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2019, 12:23:59 PM »
At the end of the day, does it really matter who takes what percent of the blame?   

It seems more important to:

1.  Expect Wojo to fix the culture and our roster immediately to salvage next season and beyond or be shown the door?

2.  Support our All-American guard returning for his senior year...one in which he will leave as our all time leading scorer?

3.  Wish the Hausers well as they pursue their own dreams as individuals and a family?

4.  Look forward to the growth and development of the remaining roster?

5.  Stop bickering about who killed whom?

We are Marquette!