[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Man do I love the Hausers  (Read 72609 times)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
Re: Man do I love the Hausers
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 09:56:48 AM »
Sam makes his debut on Givony's newly updated  top 100 at 95. #24 pf. No mention of any others. Puts in perspective how far these guys are away from the league despite being great college players.

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 10:02:31 AM by dw3dw3dw3 »

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 10:06:54 AM »
So what are the differences between Sam and Joey....more the same than different for sure. Joey bigger and I think will be a bit more aggressive as a Junior. He will be "the man" whereas Sam defers to Markus a bit. They are both a bit too gentlemanly for the NBA so that will have to change over time but its a great attribute.

In general I feel like Joey takes more initiative as a Freshman than Sam did...hard to say. He has a big brother showing the way so that helps.

I think if Markus leaves it will be tough for Marquette but good for Sam. We will see more of what we saw the other night. In any case Sam is on the road to the NBA.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 10:08:34 AM »
On AM-920 this morning they were talking about Gard's job security, and the Hausers' recruitment came up.  This guy claimed that Gard liked Sam ALOT but they only had one scholarship left and they were targeting a point guard.  Then Trice committed (apparently late in the recruiting season) so there was no room for Sam.  Then when it came to Joey, he was tied at the hip to Sam so it was a completely uphill battle for UW-M.  Then, he started on about how it was common knowledge five years ago that Saint Bo was considering retirement and Sam would have some uncertainty about whether Bo would still be there in five years.

I wish he had repeated it so I could have recounted it word for word.... 

That's kinda true but not quite.  Yeah UW was recruiting point guards for their one scholarship opening, but Trice committed almost a full year after Sam did.  Trice was a fall back because they struck out on all of their other targets. 

Now Sam was a late bloomer.  Marquette was his first major offer and it was after his sophomore year.  Prior to that, his offers were from the likes of UNI and Drake. After his junior year, he got the offers from the likes of UVa and ISU - but still nothing from UW.  And when he committed the May before his senior year, some of the Buckyville types were *still* saying that Wojo was only taking him to get Joey.

Well then he became Mr. Basketball as a senior and the rest is history.  Recruiting mistakes happen all of the time.  (See Tyrese Haliburton)  However I don't know if one mistake could be more pivotal to two programs than UW not recruiting Sam Hauser.  Not just because they didn't get the best player in the state.  And not just because it put them behind the 8-ball with his brother.  But because it really changed the tenor for in-state recruiting. 

We will see, but Gard's recruiting isn't really all that much to write home about.  And I don't think he is nearly the coach that Bo was - and for as much as we like to rag on the guy, Bo was an incredible coach from a player development standpoint. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2019, 10:36:45 AM »
On AM-920 this morning they were talking about Gard's job security, and the Hausers' recruitment came up.  This guy claimed that Gard liked Sam ALOT but they only had one scholarship left and they were targeting a point guard.  Then Trice committed (apparently late in the recruiting season) so there was no room for Sam.  Then when it came to Joey, he was tied at the hip to Sam so it was a completely uphill battle for UW-M.  Then, he started on about how it was common knowledge five years ago that Saint Bo was considering retirement and Sam would have some uncertainty about whether Bo would still be there in five years.

I wish he had repeated it so I could have recounted it word for word....

I heard that too, but didn’t think anything was different than how I remembered it. I think the only thing not mentioned was I believe the initial recruit backed out and Trice was a late signing after Sam decided. They also ended up having an open spot anyways.

The summer before he retired, I thought Bo made a comment that this was his last year, and then came out and said he may still coach another 5. It was a weird time in their recruiting with the uncertainty. Either way, it’s worked out great for MU.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2019, 10:55:16 AM »
Great kids, great family, great players.

Can't ask for anything more.

I got to meet the family (parents and grandparents) in NYC.  They are outstanding. Very nice.  Mom strikes me as someone the kids would not want to disappoint. She is really nice, but you could see that there is a no nonsense side to her.

It was interesting to see a stark contrast between the demeanor of the MU players and the Louisville players that week.  Louisville players had their pants down below their butts. Not acknowledging anyone.
MU players always well dressed. Saying hi to almost everyone, regardless of who they were.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2019, 11:56:57 AM »
Sam makes his debut on Givony's newly updated  top 100 at 95. #24 pf. No mention of any others. Puts in perspective how far these guys are away from the league despite being great college players.

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable/_/position/ovr

LOL @ Ky Bowman on the list but no Markus

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2019, 11:59:44 AM »
I heard that too, but didn’t think anything was different than how I remembered it. I think the only thing not mentioned was I believe the initial recruit backed out and Trice was a late signing after Sam decided. They also ended up having an open spot anyways.

Nobody backed out.  They were going after Zavier Simpson who ended up at Michigan, and Payton Pritchard who ended up at Oregon after committing and decommitting from Oklahoma.

And yeah the ironic thing is that they could have taken Sam AND had a spot open with Riley Dearring transferred mid-year.  (That's how they ended up with a two-person class with Trice and Aleem Ford.)

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »
yeah the UW fans boys were convinced that Simpson was going to UW........might have used the "silent verbal" thing that they love so much....... ;D

That was when the hardcore guys were using the "elite" term when talking about their program.........comparing themselves to Duke, Kansas and Kentucky IIRC......

Don't think they are doing that anymore.......

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »

Nobody backed out.  They were going after Zavier Simpson who ended up at Michigan, and Payton Pritchard who ended up at Oregon after committing and decommitting from Oklahoma.

And yeah the ironic thing is that they could have taken Sam AND had a spot open with Riley Dearring transferred mid-year.  (That's how they ended up with a two-person class with Trice and Aleem Ford.)

Don't forget,  Andy Van Vliet committed in April 2015.  Sam committed to MU in May of 2015.

Bo was slow to offer Sam even when there were two spots available.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2019, 12:14:43 PM »
Don't forget,  Andy Van Vliet committed in April 2015.  Sam committed to MU in May of 2015.

Hahahahahaha!!    I didn't know or remember that timeline but it's hilarious.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »
yeah the UW fans boys were convinced that Simpson was going to UW........might have used the "silent verbal" thing that they love so much....... ;D

That was when the hardcore guys were using the "elite" term when talking about their program.........comparing themselves to Duke, Kansas and Kentucky IIRC......

Don't think they are doing that anymore.......

Now UW fans are convinced that once they fire Gard that Tony Bennett will jump at the chance to coach for them. Maybe they're right, but Bennett is killing it at a major school in a better conference right now.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2019, 12:18:33 PM »

That’s right. Thanks for the correction. This is a nice example of why Wojo would not always fill that 13th spot just to sign a guy, but rather only use it if he felt like the player could likely contribute.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »
LOL @ Ky Bowman on the list but no Markus

2 inches makes all the difference.

*pause*

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2019, 12:24:55 PM »
They are both a bit too gentlemanly for the NBA so that will have to change over time but its a great attribute.

I seem to recall more than one time a ref walking up to talk to Sam and the guy guarding him.  Once in the last game.  He might "talk" just with a quieter voice.  Maybe he isn't as saintly as he appears.  I mean that in a good way.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2019, 12:33:15 PM »

Oh my god I forgot about that.  Hilarious.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2019, 12:33:47 PM »
I got to meet the family (parents and grandparents) in NYC.  They are outstanding. Very nice.  Mom strikes me as someone the kids would not want to disappoint. She is really nice, but you could see that there is a no nonsense side to her.

It was interesting to see a stark contrast between the demeanor of the MU players and the Louisville players that week.  Louisville players had their pants down below their butts. Not acknowledging anyone.
MU players always well dressed. Saying hi to almost everyone, regardless of who they were.
OMG

Were they wearing hats indoors as well? Or had tattoos?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 12:48:30 PM »
OMG

Were they wearing hats indoors as well? Or had tattoos?

Yeah that sounds a lot like the typical UW fan talking about Buzz era MU players.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 01:47:39 PM »
My boss (UW grad) called them thugs. He still jokes about Theo's hair: How much time does that take everyday?

I told him since its in braids, probably less time than his own buzzcut, besides, if your on national TV wouldn't you want to look good if you could?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2019, 01:51:50 PM »
My boss (UW grad) called them thugs. He still jokes about Theo's hair: How much time does that take everyday?

I told him since its in braids, probably less time than his own buzzcut, besides, if your on national TV wouldn't you want to look good if you could?

Furthering our defense, it does take longer to prepare for a game when you have to wear a cup.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2019, 01:53:44 PM »

wait, he called this years Marquette team thugs?  that is a stretch and a half

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2019, 01:54:48 PM »

My BIL (a Tennessee grad) calls Marquette "A couple of albinos and Sideshow Bob".
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »
My BIL (a Tennessee grad) calls Marquette "A couple of albinos and Sideshow Bob".

I mean, he isn't necessarily incorrect.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2019, 01:59:30 PM »

Wait--we got Robin Lopez?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2019, 02:11:10 PM »
This.  Sam wanted to be a Badger which he has stated.  Thank God Ryan didn’t want Sam, same as Bennet didn’t go after Diener.

Go Warriors

When did he say this? I have a hard time believing Ryan didn’t go after him. 6’8 white kid from WI with a 83 national rank? 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2019, 02:14:01 PM »
Saw Sam & Joey, as junior and frosh, playing for SPASH in Mark Miller’s WBY tourney at Concordia University.  They were very good that afternoon showing much of what we see now.  Their skills were already very well apparent at that time.  Now we see physical growth and development on top of that.  PS, after that game went home and saw our Warriors get crunched by an awful DePaul team.