Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Man do I love the Hausers  (Read 72628 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Man do I love the Hausers
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2019, 02:15:11 PM »
When did he say this? I have a hard time believing Ryan didn’t go after him. 6’8 white kid from WI with a 83 national rank?

The legend repeated by Bucky fans is that Ryan did want Hauser but was holding the last scholarship for a PG. Ryan told Sam that a scholarship would open up for him eventually but he couldn't offer him one now because Bucky doesn't do overcommitments, they are too good for that.

Honestly, I think it was just a recruiting miss by Ryan. It happens, even to good coaches.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 02:19:58 PM »
Look at Sammy's picture on the SOTG... could he even have better form on his shot? 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • Team Whiny Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »
Shoutout to Bo Ryan for banging on the recruiting trail instead of well, recruiting.

Thanks for Sam and Joey, Bo!

#SAVAGE  :P
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2019, 03:07:46 PM »
2 inches makes all the difference.

*pause*

Ha I know this is just a joke, but 5'11" Tremont Waters is also on the list... he's significantly older and not nearly as good as Markus! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
Ha I know this is just a joke, but 5'11" Tremont Waters is also on the list... he's significantly older and not nearly as good as Markus! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

Sometimes certain guys project better at the next level then other guys. Tons of examples of excellent college players who don't make it at the next level.......and good to mediocre guys who do.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2019, 03:20:30 PM »
Sometimes certain guys project better at the next level then other guys. Tons of examples of excellent college players who don't make it at the next level.......and good to mediocre guys who do.

Scottie Reynolds and Dee Brown vs. Dwight Buycks and Abdel Nader

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 03:27:10 PM »
Sam makes his debut on Givony's newly updated  top 100 at 95. #24 pf. No mention of any others. Puts in perspective how far these guys are away from the league draft despite being great college players.

FIFY

Guys like Markus and Sam will likely get summer league invites, and have an opportunity to catch on with a team if they work out.  Sometimes its better than being drafted late in the second round.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »
Don't forget,  Andy Van Vliet committed in April 2015.  Sam committed to MU in May of 2015.

Bo was slow to offer Sam even when there were two spots available.

van Vliet committed on 5/11/15, 4 days before Sam announced his choice.

After losing out on Diamond Stone, the Badgers added van Vliet to the 2015 class which contained the likes of Alex Illikainen, Brevin Pritzl, Khalil Iverson and Charlie Thomas.

I don't think that 5-some could compete in the Horizon League.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:30:22 PM by oldwarrior81 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2019, 03:30:31 PM »

After losing out on Diamond Stone, the Badgers added van Vliet to the 2015 class of Alex Illikainen, Brevin Pritzl, Khalil Iverson and Charlie Thomas.

That is the most phenomenal sentence I think I've ever read in my life.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2019, 03:31:14 PM »

After losing out on Diamond Stone, the Badgers added van Vliet to the 2015 class of Alex Illikainen, Brevin Pritzl, Khalil Iverson and Charlie Thomas.

That's right.  He was ineligible his first season. 

That is the most phenomenal sentence I think I've ever read in my life.

Yeah it is pretty humorous. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2019, 03:55:10 PM »

After losing out on Diamond Stone, the Badgers added van Vliet to the 2015 class which contained the likes of Alex Illikainen, Brevin Pritzl, Khalil Iverson and Charlie Thomas.

I don't think that 5-some could compete in the Horizon League.

I saw that May date, too.  I am almost positive AVV committed in April and it became official on May 11, which is the date stamped on AVV's commitment tweet.  Either way, AVV committed before Sam.

I had forgotten about Stone as part of the timeline.  So one spot was being held for Stone, and that left one spot in 2016 for a PG.  Stone went to Maryland and that spot went to AVV.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2019, 04:07:23 PM »
I saw that May date, too.  I am almost positive AVV committed in April and it became official on May 11, which is the date stamped on AVV's commitment tweet.  Either way, AVV committed before Sam.

I had forgotten about Stone as part of the timeline.  So one spot was being held for Stone, and that left one spot in 2016 for a PG.  Stone went to Maryland and that spot went to AVV.

Silly to hold a spot for a kid who couldn't get into your school.

::) :o
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »
My BIL (a Tennessee grad) calls Marquette "A couple of albinos and Sideshow Bob".

Eye'm apalled, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2019, 04:30:14 PM »
I really liked "Point Sam".  A Joe Ingles in the making, perhaps?
All he needs is the ball and we'll see a lot more from him.

I think in 2 years we might like "Point Joey" as well - like Ben Simmons, but with a shot.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »

I think in 2 years we might like "Point Joey" as well - like Ben Simmons, but with a shot.
G-Town did not pressure MU.  Suspect that the Friars will attack the ball on Sunday whether or not Markus plays.  The Pirates forced SHU into 22 TOs.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2019, 04:45:23 PM »
Silly to hold a spot for a kid who couldn't get into your school.

::) :o

This.  Love it.    ;D

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2019, 04:47:59 PM »
FIFY

Guys like Markus and Sam will likely get summer league invites, and have an opportunity to catch on with a team if they work out.  Sometimes its better than being drafted late in the second round.

So true. No better example of that than Wes Matthews. He signed as a free agent with Utah after going undrafted and made the minimum (approx $450,000) his first year. He had a really good year, and then had the freedom of not being tied into a mandatory multi-year rookie deal that first rounders get. The very next year he was making more than the #1 pick in his draft class, Blake Griffin ($5.7 > $5.3), after Portland signed him as a restricted free agent and Utah didn't match.  Granted that situation was highly unusual, but the basic point is a good one. Wesley will end up making more than $100 million on player contracts alone by the time he's done. Unreal.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2019, 05:03:03 PM »
G-Town did not pressure MU.  Suspect that the Friars will attack the ball on Sunday whether or not Markus plays.  The Pirates forced SHU into 22 TOs.

So they were all unforced? Not worried!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2019, 05:09:15 PM »
So true. No better example of that than Wes Matthews. He signed as a free agent with Utah after going undrafted and made the minimum (approx $450,000) his first year. He had a really good year, and then had the freedom of not being tied into a mandatory multi-year rookie deal that first rounders get. The very next year he was making more than the #1 pick in his draft class, Blake Griffin ($5.7 > $5.3), after Portland signed him as a restricted free agent and Utah didn't match.  Granted that situation was highly unusual, but the basic point is a good one. Wesley will end up making more than $100 million on player contracts alone by the time he's done. Unreal.

Okay...this worked great for Wes, but I really feel like this is the rare exception, not the rule. There are hundreds of kids that are technically draft eligible every year that go undrafted. Probably at least 50-100 that think they have a shot but ultimately don't. I feel like maybe once or twice a year you hear this story, but the number of Ben Wallace, Avery Johnson, Bruce Bowen, Wes Matthews types are once every couple years guys. Far more likely you'll stick from a second round pick (Novak, Diener, Jae) than going undrafted and hoping (Jerel, Vander, Gardner, Jamil).

I think this is a somewhat ridiculous trope that MU fans have convinced themselves is real because Wes Matthews did it. If there were 20 guys a year that earned regular contracts from being undrafted, then maybe there's an argument, but repeatedly citing the Dave Singleman of the NBA isn't very convincing.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2019, 05:35:30 PM »
Who had a better freshman year so far Joey or Henry Ellenson?  Bearing in mind Joey has a far superior supporting cast.

Joey has a much better outside shot, and I think that will make the difference as far as future NBA success.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »
Hard to compare because of the different circumstances. Joey has been more efficient and fits this team better then Henry would IMO but we will never know for sure.

Henry needed and wanted the ball in his hands on basically every play......it was like that in high school and in his one year at MU.

Hausers not built like that.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2019, 06:44:16 PM »
Okay...this worked great for Wes, but I really feel like this is the rare exception, not the rule. There are hundreds of kids that are technically draft eligible every year that go undrafted. Probably at least 50-100 that think they have a shot but ultimately don't. I feel like maybe once or twice a year you hear this story, but the number of Ben Wallace, Avery Johnson, Bruce Bowen, Wes Matthews types are once every couple years guys. Far more likely you'll stick from a second round pick (Novak, Diener, Jae) than going undrafted and hoping (Jerel, Vander, Gardner, Jamil).

I think this is a somewhat ridiculous trope that MU fans have convinced themselves is real because Wes Matthews did it. If there were 20 guys a year that earned regular contracts from being undrafted, then maybe there's an argument, but repeatedly citing the Dave Singleman of the NBA isn't very convincing.
Yeah,  lightning does not always strike home often.  Really depends on the situation.  Wesley found the right spot at the right time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2019, 07:34:49 PM »
My boss (UW grad) called them thugs.

Must be nice to have a racist for a boss. At least he's open about his racism.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2019, 07:39:26 PM »
Must be nice to have a racist for a boss. At least he's open about his racism.

Thugs come in all colors of da rainbow, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2019, 08:08:04 PM »

Is this post a joke? It's tough to determine on chat boards.