[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Theo  (Read 8099 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Theo
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:09:11 AM »
Is he becoming the best big man in the big East? What a game last night.

tower912

• All American
Re: Theo
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 07:10:49 AM »
Putting himself in the conversation next couple of years.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 07:13:42 AM »
Still would like him to stop chasing shots he can't get and get in better defensive rebounding position, but he seems to get better every game.  He is so much better with the ball and with post moves than last year.  He was even better about fouls the last couple games.  Was not a big fan of his last year but love his progression.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 07:32:42 AM »
I have to admit that he has made great strides this season. He has played a big role in several tight games and kudo's to him.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 07:34:16 AM »
I have to admit that he has made great strides this season. He has played a big role in several tight games and kudo's to him.

Maybe Wojo is a good big-man coach after all.
Have some patience, FFS.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 07:52:17 AM »
Still would like him to stop chasing shots he can't get and get in better defensive rebounding position, but he seems to get better every game.  He is so much better with the ball and with post moves than last year.  He was even better about fouls the last couple games.  Was not a big fan of his last year but love his progression.

He is a good shot fake away from leaping over people at points...but hey, the shot block is a "new" skill he is utilizing and he is excited. I expect he will settle down a bit overtime.

He has confidence now, which can be dangerous for the opponent!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 07:55:57 AM »
He is staying on the floor the last three games.  In the first two BE games, got in foul trouble early and played only 15 mpg.  Last three BE games, no real foul problems and is averaging close to 30mpg.  He was prone to getting offensive fouls for setting screens and must have adjusted something because much better at it now.  Need him to continue this trend, he has been playing very well. 

cschor

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 08:17:26 AM »
Loved his game last night.  I thought it  note worthy that after the dunks he did not go all psycho killer and acted very professional,  like he had been there before,  and expected to be there many times in the future.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 08:17:59 AM »
Best big man? No. Best rim defender? Possible.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 08:21:43 AM »
I love Theo’s game, especially his defense but sometimes he’s still a blackhole on offense...doesn’t even look to pass. If he can start his move and then kick it out to a shooter, or at least look to see if anyone is open I think that’d be huge for the team. Last night when he got called for his offensive foul there were wide open shooters waiting for the ball
Bring back FFP!!!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 08:24:32 AM »

And a good defensive coach....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 08:24:59 AM »
Theo was only credited for one block last night.    Of course, it was the big one.    Only 6 rebounds in 30 minutes.    The Hausers had 8 each.    Passing out of the post is a non-issue because it doesn't happen.     HOWEVER, he is only a sophomore and has made great strides.   He almost single-handedly lays to rest the notion that Wojo and his staff can't develop players.        So give him credit for the strides he has made.    Be patient as he gets even better.    Because he is still going to have 16 minute, 4 point, 5 rebound, 4 foul games.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 08:31:43 AM »
I love Theo’s game, especially his defense but sometimes he’s still a blackhole on offense...doesn’t even look to pass. If he can start his move and then kick it out to a shooter, or at least look to see if anyone is open I think that’d be huge for the team. Last night when he got called for his offensive foul there were wide open shooters waiting for the ball

I think it depends on his position when he gets the ball.  If he gets it in a good deep post up, I have no problem with him only looking to score, but sometimes he tries too hard.  Like most back to the basket players, he should have a three dribble max.  If you can't get to your "spot" in three dribbles, the ball needs to get kicked back out.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 08:34:03 AM »
Quote from the Casual Hoya game thread:

"Theo John has Bitched our entire frontline!!!!"
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 08:38:31 AM »
Loved that Kareem-like sky hook. If he can get that into his offensive repertoire reliably and regularly.... 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 08:44:01 AM »
One word of caution, I would recommend keeping Theo expectations at realistic level. I remember vividly folks wanting Matt H to play over Luke Fischer. I get it, Theo is becoming a fan favorite, and that is fine. If MU is going to have a long run in March, Theo is going to need to play a role in that. IMO, there is going to need to be 7 guys covering for each other over the upcoming weeks.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 09:26:11 AM »
Theo is a beast, and I think we're only seeing the surface.  He could be an absolute monster as an upper classman.  Quickly becoming a favorite of mine. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 09:30:56 AM »
One word of caution, I would recommend keeping Theo expectations at realistic level. I remember vividly folks wanting Matt H to play over Luke Fischer. I get it, Theo is becoming a fan favorite, and that is fine. If MU is going to have a long run in March, Theo is going to need to play a role in that. IMO, there is going to need to be 7 guys covering for each other over the upcoming weeks.

Not just your opinion, but the opinion of everyone who knows anything about college bball.  Even Wojo:  "The best part of our team is our team."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 09:34:39 AM »
Still would like him to stop chasing shots he can't get and get in better defensive rebounding position

Fundamentally, this is a good statement. But there is something about a rim-protector saying, "Don't bring that shyte in here because I am going after every single shot. I don't care if I goaltend. I don't care if I knock you on your arse. I don't care if you're an All-American. You're going to get that weak shyte swatted right back at you." I am NOT saying he is what Ewing was as a player, but that was Ewing's mindset.

I love Theo’s game, especially his defense but sometimes he’s still a blackhole on offense...doesn’t even look to pass. If he can start his move and then kick it out to a shooter, or at least look to see if anyone is open I think that’d be huge for the team.

He's still developing, and hopefully this will improve. I love that he actually has developed a few pretty reliable offensive moves. One step at a time.

This, of course. I mean, if we could do so for right now, for the rest of this season, how many of us would not trade Theo for the GT big? Govan is a 20-10 guy who can dominate posting up and also step out and hit 3s. But we aren't getting Govan, and I'm diggin' Theo.

No maybe about it. He and his assistants have done a wonderful job with Theo. Pretty darn good job with Heldt, too.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 09:43:11 AM »

This is true. Seems to me he still has to think a bit about the move he is going to make, so he's not observing what's around him so much. Have to think that comes with time as the moves become second nature. He has become pretty reliable though with both hands on his back to the basket moves.

I love having a guy like him (and Ed) on the team. For years, Xavier has had solid power forwards/centers (even pre-Big East, e.g. Tyrone Hill, Aaron Williams, Brian Grant, David West) that can push people around and athletic enough to block shots and intimidate inside. You don't need 7 footers in college hoops if you have 6'8-6'9" guys with a presence. There is no question Theo and Ed have created a presence inside that impacts many more shots than they get their hands on.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:53:20 AM by StillWarriors »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »
I noticed at the Seton Hall game there were a couple times Theo seemed to realize he was about to make a silly foul and noticeably held back. 

I think he gets some bad calls against him because the refs are accustomed to him making the silly foul now and then.   If he can keep cutting the silly fouls out, hopefully those bad calls against him will decrease as well.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 10:02:22 AM »
Every time we watch Marquette, my husband says, wistfully, "Man, he would've looked good in a Gopher's uniform."  Great get for Wojo.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
I don't really mind Theo committing a few fouls and getting called for goaltending once or twice a game. If you're playing aggressive defense, you won't always get the call. If you can't get the block, sometimes a foul is the right play. I wasn't even worried when he got his fourth foul last night. It wasn't a reckless play; it was good, tough defense.

It seems like Theo is starting to recognize when is the right time to go all-out. When he was defending Seton Hall's Nzei (a senior 6-8 forward), he simply played good positional D: Stand your ground, don't let him get deeper into the paint, make him hit a tough shot with a hand in his face (which Nzei did twice). But when he sees a chance to help on a smaller guard or block a layup on a fast-break, he goes for it.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »
I noticed at the Seton Hall game there were a couple times Theo seemed to realize he was about to make a silly foul and noticeably held back.

Didn't see your post before I made my own. Agree 100%.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 10:41:56 AM »

I agree, but I said becoming.

feedback