[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Pirates SOTG  (Read 12782 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Pirates SOTG
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »
Weird, I didn't think there'd be an easy decision that isn't Markus all season, but here we are

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 04:10:00 PM »
Kenpom also has Markus as the game MVP. I understand he was just okay for him, but he was still SOTG

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 04:10:26 PM »
Yeah, he said hi to the rim from the perimeter.
BTW, sand knit, you clearly motivated Sacar today.

What? Just because Sacar had 14 points, 2 steals, the biggest assist of the game, and dogged Powell all afternoon ... you're trying to say Sand-Knit was wrong about Sacar being the worst player in basketball history? Shame on you, tower!

I think I go with Sacar for SOTG, but Theo obviously is very worthy, too.

Nice to be able to win when Markus struggles as he did in the second half.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

1SE

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 04:10:42 PM »
Theo was big, but I have to go for Markus here - yes he was a bit boneheaded in for a bit in the 2nd, but that was after 2 (or 3) possessions where he found a wide open man who missed the three. Don't blame him for thinking he had to do it himself.

Then, under 5 he had a stretch where he had a couple nice drives into the lane for buckets we NEEDED and one drive in the lane where he dished to Theo for 2.

Couple that with the 18 first half points and a perfect night from the line and he's the STOG.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 04:13:30 PM »
Kenpom also has Markus as the game MVP. I understand he was just okay for him, but he was still SOTG
He has changed the math on himself there’s no doubt
No Finish Line

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »

Maybe from a purely mathematical sense. And I get that technically, all points are equal.

But for SOTG, I think you also need to take game situation into account. Theo and Sacar did more damage when the game was on the line down the stretch, which makes a difference for me.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 04:24:28 PM »
Maybe from a purely mathematical sense. And I get that technically, all points are equal.

But for SOTG, I think you also need to take game situation into account. Theo and Sacar did more damage when the game was on the line down the stretch, which makes a difference for me.

Theo had 3 baskets.

1. Nice post move on a feed from Hauser.
2. Dunk off a beautiful lead pass by Markus
3. Markus attracts 3 defenders gives to Theo for open layup.

Sacar and Theo were great. Both played excellent defensively. Theo had clutch free throws especially since he is a bad free throw shooter. But the only reason Markus is not runaway SOTG is because he is always SOTG and we look for reasons to give it to someone else.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 04:24:55 PM »
Theo and Sacar

MU82

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 04:27:22 PM »
Theo had 3 baskets.

Sacar and Theo were great. Both played excellent defensively. Theo had clutch free throws especially since he is a bad free throw shooter. But the only reason Markus is not runaway SOTG is because he is always SOTG and we look for reasons to give it to someone else.

Reasonable argument for Markus, though I still lean toward Sacar and Theo today, in great part because of their influence on defense in a game that we had to win with defense.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 04:35:08 PM »
Are we allowed to vote for Wojo?  Seriously, he's not perfect, but he has been very good since KU.  Calling the TO early in the second half when the lead was down to 5, last year, he would have waited until it was completely gone or we were trailing. 

We finally seem to be running set plays out of timeouts, and at least getting a good look (they are almost always for a Hauser as well, because we know Markus can get his shot). 

Fouling up three is largely a decision that should be made based on how much you trust your players to hit FTs, with this group, I would foul every time. 

If we would have played this game with year 1 Wojo, instead of year 5 Wojo, I think we lose by 5-10.

If we can't vote for Wojo, I'll go with Theo

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »
Theo had 3 baskets.

But the excellent defense was HUGE. Theo had 3 blocks and made Hall think twice about going inside all day. Sacar spent most of his day chasing Powell around the court. The key offensive plays down the stretch just sealed the deal.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »
I feel like we can't appreciate greatness. I know Howard had a rugged second half, but 26/6/6 is huge. Howard carried us in the first half. His points and assists made up 30 of our 40 first half points.

We don't get over the finish line without Theo, but we aren't even in the game without Howard. It's Markus.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
Theo and Sacar
Sacar's pass to a cutting Joey was huge!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 04:51:48 PM »
But the excellent defense was HUGE. Theo had 3 blocks and made Hall think twice about going inside all day. Sacar spent most of his day chasing Powell around the court. The key offensive plays down the stretch just sealed the deal.

Absolutely. And we don't win without both of those guys today.

But without Markus we get blown out. He created basically all of our offense. He's SOTG for me and it isn't that close, but like I said we don't win without Sacar and Theo. Hell, we don't win without the Hausers either even though they couldn't buy one. The spacing they create in the paint just with their presence is important

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 04:52:39 PM »
Markus is starting to get the LeBron voter fatigue on this board.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2019, 04:54:03 PM »
Theo John
Honorable Mention - Markus Howard
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2019, 05:03:35 PM »
Sacar
Goal is National Championship

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2019, 05:07:19 PM »
Markus is not getting the LeBron voter fatigue and nobody is losing an appreciation for greatness.

Markus is not SOTG because when we went into halftime up 10 the only chance we had of losing that game was getting loose with the basketball and Markus did exactly that.  2-9 with 5 turnovers in the second half from what I can tell, and of his 7 missed shots I would guess 3 or 4 of them were complete airballs that led to transition opportunities for Seton Hall, as well as I would guess at least 3 of his turnovers being live ball turnovers, if not 4.  He didn't just play "sub par" in the second half.  He was horrendous in the second half.

When it was winning time Theo and Sacar stepped up.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »
Mr. Theo John or Sacar. Both played outstanding D.  Honorable to Markus.  Congrats to Sam.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 05:17:18 PM »
Markus is not getting the LeBron voter fatigue and nobody is losing an appreciation for greatness.

Markus is not SOTG because when we went into halftime up 10 the only chance we had of losing that game was getting loose with the basketball and Markus did exactly that.  2-9 with 5 turnovers in the second half from what I can tell, and of his 7 missed shots I would guess 3 or 4 of them were complete airballs that led to transition opportunities for Seton Hall, as well as I would guess at least 3 of his turnovers being live ball turnovers, if not 4.  He didn't just play "sub par" in the second half.  He was horrendous in the second half.

This.

Maybe a few Scoopers are always looking for excuses to not choose Markus, but that doesn't mean that anytime any of us choose somebody other than Markus in any game it automatically means we have "Markus fatigue."

As you say so perfectly, wades, in addition to playing well just about all game, Sacar and Theo came up big in "winning time."

Saying that doesn't mean we don't appreciate Markus' contributions.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2019, 05:18:46 PM »

Why were we up 10?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
Why were we up 10?

If not for Markus, we would've been down 20 when we got to "winning time" and no one's contributions would've mattered. If it was SOT2H, he wouldn't be in the running. It's SOTG, and the guy who had the best 40 minutes was Markus.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2019, 05:24:28 PM »
Theo played tough.  Love his passion.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2019, 05:27:30 PM »
I dunno. All we talked about for 3 years here was how horsebleep our defense was. Now some of us say that in this particular game we like the defensive performance of two guys -- who also contributed quite a bit on offense -- and it's some kind proof that we don't appreciate Markus or some sign that we're stoopid?

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2019, 05:27:42 PM »
Why were we up 10?

Wasn’t just Markus though.  The defense that Sacar and Theo were playing is another reason we were up ten instead of two.  Scoring is not the only way to contribute.  Best scorer is not always man of the match.