[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pirates SOTG  (Read 13001 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Pirates SOTG
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2019, 09:51:55 AM »
I don't believe at any point I said stoopid or anything of the sort. But it seems a bit ridiculous and recency biased to see everyone saying Theo when Markus was our offense in the first half when we staked a 10 point lead and if the Hausers don't go ice cold from 3, it's probably 26/6/11.

I'm not saying Theo is a bad choice, but I remember days when 26 on its own would be automatic SOTG. Markus does it and virtually everyone is ho-hum.

I think it's great that we have a team that can win in a variety of ways, so now 26 ISN'T an automatic SOTG.

I don't know who is "ho-hum." A few of us just think that, based on what we saw, Sacar or Theo deserve it more this time for this very defense-oriented win.

Also, I'd have to go back and actually read what Ners said about Rowsey leaving, but IIRC he thought we'd be a worse team, not just a worse offense. Lately, he's arguing that Wojo is a dope for having Markus inbound the ball because the play Ners would have run would have worked better ... yep, better than the one that resulted in a game-tying 3 and OT win.

But that's neither here nor there in the SOTG discussion. I go Sacar, Theo, Markus. And I'd be perfectly happy with any of 'em.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 14, 2019, 01:19:01 AM »
Rewatched the game this afternoon, paying attention to the contributions Theo made that didn't show up in the box score.

By my count, he contested at least 17 shots -- which led to his 3 blocks and another 5 or 6 missed field goals on the low block. His help defense on the baseline also led to 2 turnovers when Seton Hall lost the ball out of bounds.

Theo also set something like 16 screens. Those screens created space for all three of the 3-pointers Markus made, two of Markus' baskets on drives to the paint -- plus the drive where Markus kicked to Sacar for a three in the corner, plus the drive where Sacar found Joey inside. Markus repaid the favor when he found Theo rolling to the basket after a screen for a big dunk.

Of the three freshmen last season, Theo has shown the most improvement. He's earned a starting position and more playing time than a fourth-year junior and a fifth-year senior. His court awareness, instincts, mobility, length and athleticism give Marquette a defensive presence we haven't seen in a while. And I think he has the potential to improve even further.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:21:57 AM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 14, 2019, 06:41:15 AM »
Umm, guys.  We play in 36 hours so getting a SOTG up for the Hall game is a 'this morning' kind of thing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2019, 07:58:55 AM »
Umm, guys.  We play in 36 hours so getting a SOTG up for the Hall game is a 'this morning' kind of thing.

These dang mods are slackin' off again. Inexcusable, given that we keep raising their pay!

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2019, 08:13:42 AM »
It's the government shutdown and snow day in DC.  Slows everything down, right?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: January 14, 2019, 10:16:31 AM »

Report post button  ;)

Telling us does nothing, report is the only way to insure it gets to the right people.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:37 AM »
Rocky is just busy looking for the right picture.  Think it is this one.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 14, 2019, 10:46:30 AM »
Report post button  ;)

Telling us does nothing, report is the only way to insure it gets to the right people.

Your idea reminded me of a great story from the past
https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/2/8535259/penis-pothole-activism-wanksy-england

Not all heroes wear capes

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »
No Marquette player since 2010 has put up 26/6/6.

Markus got robbed. Good choice of picture for Theo.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2019, 12:36:28 PM »

Rumor is McDermott was circulating that picture of Theo to his players as a reminder not to challenge the monster.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2019, 01:30:44 PM »

Rowsey did it twice last year.

EDIT: And he was near unanimous SOTG pick, though my wife did snag one vote for attending Rowsey's Senior Day game just hours before heading to the hospital to be induced (and putting off induction for a day to make sure we got to the game.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:34:26 PM by brewcity77 »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »

EDIT: And he was near unanimous SOTG pick, though my wife did snag one vote for attending Rowsey's Senior Day game just hours before heading to the hospital to be induced (and putting off induction for a day to make sure we got to the game.)

I was actually on my way back to correct my post since I misread the stat. 26/6/6 has been matched by ONE MU player this decade. It was Rowsey, you're correct.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2019, 02:21:52 PM »

Markus only gets the easy SOTGs.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2019, 02:27:37 PM »
I think it's close to inarguable that Joey is one of our top 3 players this season. Amazing that in 14 wins he doesn't have a single SOTG, but 5 other players have 2 or more.

Does it say anything that his arguably two best performances came in our two blowout losses? As a freshman he makes a really good robin but not a batman?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »
I have a feeling Joey's time will come, when we need it most.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2019, 06:08:36 PM »
Rewatched the game this afternoon, paying attention to the contributions Theo made that didn't show up in the box score.

By my count, he contested at least 17 shots -- which led to his 3 blocks and another 5 or 6 missed field goals on the low block. His help defense on the baseline also led to 2 turnovers when Seton Hall lost the ball out of bounds.

Theo also set something like 16 screens. Those screens created space for all three of the 3-pointers Markus made, two of Markus' baskets on drives to the paint -- plus the drive where Markus kicked to Sacar for a three in the corner, plus the drive where Sacar found Joey inside. Markus repaid the favor when he found Theo rolling to the basket after a screen for a big dunk.

Of the three freshmen last season, Theo has shown the most improvement. He's earned a starting position and more playing time than a fourth-year junior and a fifth-year senior. His court awareness, instincts, mobility, length and athleticism give Marquette a defensive presence we haven't seen in a while. And I think he has the potential to improve even further.
I agree with all of this. Theo is a beast. But he is a liability at games end when the fouls start flying at 50% FT. Hope he can boost that to 60-67%
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2019, 06:13:09 PM »
I agree with all of this. Theo is a beast. But he is a liability at games end when the fouls start flying at 50% FT. Hope he can boost that to 60-67%

FWIW he's been shooting 66.7% in our last 6 games. 12/18 since Buffalo. And that does represent nearly half his FT attempts this year (7/20 in the first 11 games).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »
I was actually on my way back to correct my post since I misread the stat. 26/6/6 has been matched by ONE MU player this decade. It was Rowsey, you're correct.

26/6/6 isn't a "thing."

These stat combos that ESPN types like to yammer on about are bad enough when they're even numbers. But "Kamara is the first RB in history to post 2 seasons of 1,100 yards rushing, 850 yards receiving and 13 TDs" is silliness. Doesn't mean Kamara wasn't good; it's just that the combination is a "so what?"

P.S.: I wonder how many times Larry Bird went 26/6/6 at Indiana State?!?!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:01:24 AM by MU82 »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:27 PM »
I agree with all of this. Theo is a beast.

I should have also mentioned his motor. Theo always seems to go 100% and never gives up on a play. A good percentage of his blocks have come on breakaways when he's chasing down a player from behind. His energy has got to be contagious for the team.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2019, 08:37:25 AM »

You had a kid?  GTFOOH.  Had no idea.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »
What? Just because Sacar had 14 points, 2 steals, the biggest assist of the game, and dogged Powell all afternoon ... you're trying to say Sand-Knit was wrong about Sacar being the worst player in basketball history? Shame on you, tower!

I think I go with Sacar for SOTG, but Theo obviously is very worthy, too.

Nice to be able to win when Markus struggles as he did in the second half.

This is why ur a poor journalist, you use hyperbole, lies and distortion to attempt to get people to believe things that were not said and are untrue.

Never said that about Sacar, said he was arguably the worst 2g in the BE.  That the 2g spot is usually one of greater efficiency and production and that MU would be significantly more dangerous and that much of our offensive struggles come from the deficiencies at that position.  And when you look at Alexander and Powell in our last two games and Phil Booth and on down the line at the 2G, i stand by that position.  You can distort, lie and twist all you want.  I guess it’s what u are used to. 

Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2019, 07:35:23 PM »
This is why ur a poor journalist, you use hyperbole, lies and distortion to attempt to get people to believe things that were not said and are untrue.

Never said that about Sacar, said he was arguably the worst 2g in the BE.  That the 2g spot is usually one of greater efficiency and production and that MU would be significantly more dangerous and that much of our offensive struggles come from the deficiencies at that position.  And when you look at Alexander and Powell in our last two games and Phil Booth and on down the line at the 2G, i stand by that position.  You can distort, lie and twist all you want.  I guess it’s what u are used to.

Actually, here is a cut-and-paste of exactly what you said:

Sacar is simple not very good at all.  His early 3s are brutal.  His free throws are terrible and his defense is average at best.  Worst 2 in BE by far. 

But yes, I'm the one who uses hyperbole.

How does somebody who is not very good at all average 12 points in BE play? How does he make that gorgeous behind-the-back assist to Theo? (Sorry if "gorgeous" is hyperbole.) How does the worst 2 in the BE by far hold Powell (who is probably the best 2 in the BE) below his season average, forcing Powell into 5 turnovers and 42% shooting?

See, when a writer intentionally uses hyperbole, it is what's called a "writing tool." So when I say a person who calls Sacar (and Luke) "bad" is proving that he knows less about basketball than most 4-year-olds, I don't really think the person knows less than most 4-year-olds. I fully acknowledge he might know as much as most 5-year-olds. Maybe even 6-year-olds!

The above, my spelling-and-grammar-averse friend, is an example of hyperbole being used as a writing tool.

On the other hand, when you get all hyperbolic by using the word "bad" to describe a player who obviously isn't bad, that's just a tool using hyperbole.

Sacar is a solid BEast player who most games contributes far more than his point total indicates. He has improved offensively, and he's still improving. If all that wasn't the case, Wojo wouldn't play him the kind of minutes he gets. I'm glad we have him.

Gotta run now and support our basketball team. You know ... the one that includes the worst 2-guard in the history of mankind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2019, 08:10:50 PM »
The stats are relative, im glad he is averaging 12 a game in the BE.  Again go down the list, Booth?, Alexander?, Powell, Heron? Strus?
I stated he is the worst in the BE, maybe the same hypebole you used when you stated I said worst in America.  Whether he is the actual worst, he remains what i have said numerous times, one of the worst and and no where what a top 15 team usually can expect from the 2g, especially with his fg and ft shooting.
Now you can write paragraph after paragraph defending your distortions.  I guess thats what journalists do now a days. Lie to others and lie to themselves.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2019, 10:43:56 PM »
The stats are relative, im glad he is averaging 12 a game in the BE.  Again go down the list, Booth?, Alexander?, Powell, Heron? Strus?
I stated he is the worst in the BE, maybe the same hypebole you used when you stated I said worst in America.  Whether he is the actual worst, he remains what i have said numerous times, one of the worst and and no where what a top 15 team usually can expect from the 2g, especially with his fg and ft shooting.
Now you can write paragraph after paragraph defending your distortions.  I guess thats what journalists do now a days. Lie to others and lie to themselves.

You didn't say "one of the worst." You said "worst 2 in BE by far."

Desperate, pathetic people turn to lies when they are wrong. Rather than own what they said, they try to make believe they said something else ... but it's right there in black and white.

Thank goodness we had Sacar tonight. Even on a night when he didn't shoot well, he came up huge over and over again, and he even did a more than passable job at the point. He was a major reason we scored a big road win without the BEast MVP.

Sacar is fairly similar to Lockett, the steady eddie for Buzz's E8 team, but IMHO Sacar is more athletic and more talented all-around. And his stats are better, too. I'm guessing you also hated Lockett and thought we could never be a good team with him in the lineup.

You've boxed yourself in on this. You can't possibly admit that Sacar helps this team now, no matter what he does. He's averaging 12 a game for a sure NCAA tourney team, but you can't give him credit. Must be sad to be so dug in when you're so wrong.

But sure, keep bashing a valuable player for this eminently likable team. That's being a great fan.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2019, 10:51:44 PM »
You didn't say "one of the worst." You said "worst 2 in BE by far."

Desperate, pathetic people turn to lies when they are wrong. Rather than own what they said, they try to make believe they said something else ... but it's right there in black and white.

Thank goodness we had Sacar tonight. Even on a night when he didn't shoot well, he came up huge over and over again, and he even did a more than passable job at the point. He was a major reason we scored a big road win without the BEast MVP.

Sacar is fairly similar to Lockett, the steady eddie for Buzz's E8 team, but IMHO Sacar is more athletic and more talented all-around. And his stats are better, too. I'm guessing you also hated Lockett and thought we could never be a good team with him in the lineup.

You've boxed yourself in on this. You can't possibly admit that Sacar helps this team now, no matter what he does. He's averaging 12 a game for a sure NCAA tourney team, but you can't give him credit. Must be sad to be so dug in when you're so wrong.

But sure, keep bashing a valuable player for this eminently likable team. That's being a great fan.

Very very dense.  Not not giving Sacar credit. Simply saying he is not as good as the other 2s in the league, as ive said all along.  Have you always struggled?

feedback