[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What theatre shows have you seen?  (Read 8872 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: What theatre shows have you seen?
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2019, 03:46:25 PM »
Saw Les Mis when I was in in London. Surprisingly tickets weren’t that expensive.

But man when that first note of “Look Down” hit, I got chills.

I seen virtually every musical mentioned in this thread and totally agree that Les Miserables is head and shoulders #1. Seen it three times and would see it again in a heartbeat.

Among those not mentioned, I liked "Beautiful", the story about Carol King before her move to the west cost.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 10:49:17 AM by Lennys Tap »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2019, 08:25:24 PM »
Saw Chicago and The Producers on Broadway.

The former was OK, the latter was awesome.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2019, 07:44:58 AM »
Have seen a lot of the newer biggies: Hamilton, Chicago, Wicked, Phantom, West Side Story, Rent, Book of Mormon, Stomp, on and on, mostly in Chicago and Milwaukee, some others in excellent smaller theaters, some plays, love the ballet and symphony, all great. I’m not too much of a critic as these performers do something I can only dream of being able to do.

Biggest Surprise: American Idiot

Biggest Dud: Jesus Christ Superstar (with an aged Ted Neeley that couldn’t quite hit the money note)

Big Dad Win: Empire Strikes Back by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (played the score along with showing the movie, awesome)

London: Saw We Will Rock You (I love Queen and Freddie)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 07:57:54 AM by 21Jumpstreet »

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2019, 03:28:22 PM »
The most recent show I’ve seen on Broadway was Hamilton.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
I saw Mamma Mia many years ago in Hong Kong with a traveling Aussie cast.  After the show - which was great - they stayed back and did a bunch more Abba songs with the orchestra.  The whole audience was dancing in the aisles for an extra 40 minutes or so.

UWSP used to do summer stock (maybe they still do) so I've been to every musical you can imagine starting from there and later in London, Broadway, Singapore, HK, and Chicago.

My one bit of advice - look for the "home" casts... the ones that stay in a single theater for years.  The cast, the set, the whole performance will be better than the traveling groups. 

London tix can be bought online just as cheap as the discount booths these days.

Some of the London theatres have really changed.  Saw Rock of Ages there and it's not even semi-formal any more.  Everyone was in shorts and t-shirts and vendors were selling beer and snacks in the aisles during the show.  It was a lot of fun.  Overall London is a lot less formal than it used to be - even for the top end shows.  No need to really dress up unless you're going to an opening or closing. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2019, 05:32:46 PM »
I, too, did theater in high school.    Including the lead in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.      Good time.   
These days, whatever is coming to town that is relatively family friendly and fits into our schedule.

I played Schroeder in "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" when I was at MU. I also played Judd in Oklahoma with the Princeton Playhouse players at the McCarter Theatre after I graduated MU.

I still sing with the Capital Singers of Trenton.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:34:35 PM by muwarrior69 »

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2019, 07:40:30 PM »
I was disappointed with Book of Mormon. It was entertaining, but completely unmemorable.

I had been going regularly to Steppenwolf in Chicago. Generally pretty amazing across the board.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:38 AM »
Did anybody watch "Rent Live" on Sunday night?  Unfortunately, the actor who played Roger broke his ankle in the final dress rehearsal on Saturday night and couldn't perform.  So, the show that was billed as live was actually a recording of the dress rehearsal, except for the last 10 minutes or so.  They had no understudies.  It was OK, but really kind of unfair to the cast (and audience, of course) because a dress rehearsal is never going to have the energy that they want.  It's not the performance they wanted to have broadcast, I'm sure.

I enjoy Rent and like the music, but it sure is dated/anchored in the late 90s.

Also, I wish these live productions would focus less on casting "famous" singers and more on casting people who act and sing.  Almost invariably the big name singers stick out like a sore thumb (John Legend, I'm looking at you).  Being a good singer is a far different skill than performing in a show like this.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
The Chicago performances of Hamilton have been cancelled due to the polar vortex.   Once again, Brrrr kills Hamilton.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2019, 09:13:03 AM »
The Chicago performances of Hamilton have been cancelled due to the polar vortex.   Once again, Brrrr kills Hamilton.

Well done.

Bad_Reporter

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2019, 11:57:45 AM »
I had a friend recently move from Florida to Mke.  I really want to show him the Pabst theatre.   Any shows there that y’all would suggest?

Thanks

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2019, 04:03:01 PM »

Bravo!

mudeltaforcegurl

• Walk-On
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2019, 08:06:12 PM »
Arrival the Music of ABBA is coming to Milwaukee!!! 🥳

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2019, 07:23:52 AM »

Tower, don't take credit for that.  I saw that meme on Facebook, too.    ::)
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2019, 07:26:57 AM »
I'm not on Facebook.   My sister texted it to me and I thought it was too good to not share. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2019, 09:23:09 AM »
Did anybody watch "Rent Live" on Sunday night?  Unfortunately, the actor who played Roger broke his ankle in the final dress rehearsal on Saturday night and couldn't perform.  So, the show that was billed as live was actually a recording of the dress rehearsal, except for the last 10 minutes or so.  They had no understudies.  It was OK, but really kind of unfair to the cast (and audience, of course) because a dress rehearsal is never going to have the energy that they want.  It's not the performance they wanted to have broadcast, I'm sure.

I enjoy Rent and like the music, but it sure is dated/anchored in the late 90s.

Also, I wish these live productions would focus less on casting "famous" singers and more on casting people who act and sing.  Almost invariably the big name singers stick out like a sore thumb (John Legend, I'm looking at you).  Being a good singer is a far different skill than performing in a show like this.

Yeah watched it, wasnt very impressed by Tinashe or Valetine, but other than that I thought the cast was solid. It was an unfortunate circumstance, would have rather they had gone live with a wheel chair Roger so it's still live and filled with energy.

I wish I had been playing "what will the censors allow" drinking game. It's good to know you can say masturbation OTA but not dildos #knowledge
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2019, 09:24:17 AM »
Yeah watched it, wasnt very impressed by Tinashe or Valetine, but other than that I thought the cast was solid. It was an unfortunate circumstance, would have rather they had gone live with a wheel chair Roger so it's still live and filled with energy.

I wish I had been playing "what will the censors allow" drinking game. It's good to know you can say masturbation OTA but not dildos #knowledge

How many times have you seen this show?
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2019, 09:30:10 AM »
How many times have you seen this show?

4 times plus it's in heavy rotation on my spotify Broadway playlist
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2019, 09:52:52 AM »
4 times plus it's in heavy rotation on my spotify Broadway playlist

Before this, I saw the movie version once. Not my cup of tea as far as my preference in musicals. I think Trey Parker and Matt Stone summed it up pretty brilliantly.

Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2019, 11:07:52 AM »

More specifically, you can say, "mucho masturbation" but apparently not, "mutual masturbation."

Some of their changes were really strange.  For example, "You want to produce films and write songs?  You need somewhere to do it! It's what we used to dream about, think twice before you pooh-pooh it" became, "...you need somewhere to perfect it!  It's what we used to dream about, think twice before you reject it."

Really?  In this show, "pooh-pooh" is where they drew the line? 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2019, 11:36:30 AM »
More specifically, you can say, "mucho masturbation" but apparently not, "mutual masturbation."

Some of their changes were really strange.  For example, "You want to produce films and write songs?  You need somewhere to do it! It's what we used to dream about, think twice before you pooh-pooh it" became, "...you need somewhere to perfect it!  It's what we used to dream about, think twice before you reject it."

Another that just confused me, especially since its Fox, when they drop the whole

So that's five miso soup, four seaweed salad Three soy burger dinner, two tofu dog platter And one pasta with meatless balls

Eww

It tastes the same

If you close your eyes

Like, really? Gets a laugh every time and is hardly some sort of raunchy innuendo

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2019, 04:12:38 PM »

To be fair, the original line was awkward.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2019, 04:58:24 PM »
I was surprised they put the Contact song in, long thought that was the most bizarre choice I've seen from a major musical ever

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »
Hands down the most entertaining show I’ve seen is Jerry Springer: The Opera  while in London about 15 yrs ago.  It was supposed to come to Broadway in the mid 2000’s but  for whatever reason the Broadway production never materialized.   Porky lives in the NYC burbs, works in the city and goes to shows three or four times a year...... most recently saw Brian Cranston in Network.   With regard to Hamilton specifically don’t believe the hype that its sold out for at least six months.  Porky went to the Hamilton box office earlier today in fact and picked up two decent orchestra seats for a 2/21 performance and not crazy expensive (by Hamilton Standards anyway) for some friends that are going to be in town at that time.   I know it’s not realistic for those traveling to NYC from out of town to try their luck at the BO for the short time they’re in NYC but for scoopers in the NYC area, Porky’s advice is to always go to the theater’s box office and never ever buy tix online.  That’s by far the best way to score a decent tickets on short notice and you don’t get hit with the ridiculous service fees that the aggregators charge either!  Check out this  Jerry clip!

http://youtu.be/JzxUs6P7Vcs

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:21:39 PM by PorkysButthole »