[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What theatre shows have you seen?  (Read 8878 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: What theatre shows have you seen?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »
ZFB is a member of the international thespians society,  earned from stage crew in high school.   Plus a single walk on appearance in Oklahoma my senior year (I was a cowboy).

That explains the assless chaps I guess.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 09:01:21 AM »
I, too, did theater in high school.    Including the lead in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.      Good time.   
These days, whatever is coming to town that is relatively family friendly and fits into our schedule.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 09:05:12 AM »
I don't know about awful, but given the hype, it was terribly disappointing.  It was OK, I guess.

Living in CT and being a 70 minute train ride from Times Square, I go to Broadway maybe once every other year, usually based on what my wife wants to see.

One of the funniest I've seen recently is something called A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder.  Not running in NYC now, but if you see a travelling show its worth a look.

We've seen some Disney ones, and The Lion King is pretty great due to the sets and costumes.  You know the story.

I've never seen a drama I liked.

Curtain Call Theater in Stamford will be putting on Gentlemen’s Guide in the Spring. My sister is the stage manager. Great theater company that, because of its proximity to NYC, gets some phenomenal quality talent.

Also, if anyone happens to be in NYC both Waitress and Dear Evan Hansen are worth seeing. Sara Bareilles, who wrote Waitress, will be rejoining the cast for a limited run. About a year ago I saw a production with her and Jason Mraz in the two lead roles. It was fantastic.

In terms of Hamilton I have seen it 3 times. Once in Chicago and twice on Broadway. There were certain actors in the Chicago production that were better than the Broadway cast and vice versa. However, from a mere cost standpoint it’s almost cheaper to fly to Chicago and see it than it is to see it on Broadway.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
That explains the assless chaps I guess.

Still have them.  Caused quite a stir at my Catholic high school.

Theater was great for hooking up in high school.  Theater chicks were into some freaky (for high school) ish.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2019, 09:19:56 AM »
If you're in Chicago and into theater, highly recommend Broadway in Chicago season subscriptions. Very affordable (as low as $20/ticket if you go midweek and sit up top) way to see a variety of stuff. Skews heavily musical, but you'll get a variety of shows from Hamilton/Wicked/etc. to cash grabs like Jimmy Buffett and Dirty Dancing down to new, one-act, small cast stuff. They're also quite flexible with customizing your "season," adding/upgrading tickets to certain shows, and giving priority access when big stuff comes to town. We've probably done a half dozen seasons, and almost every show I can find something to appreciate. Even if it's not very good, there's usually an interesting story or a couple great performances to make it worth my time.

Favorite shows I've ever seen are Rent (20th anniversary tour), Hamilton, and Les Mis.
Next level down would be Book of Mormon, Lion King, Newsies, and Avenue Q (not sure how it holds up now, but 21 year-old me was dying.)

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2019, 09:22:42 AM »
One of the funniest I've seen recently is something called A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder.  Not running in NYC now, but if you see a travelling show its worth a look.

I thought the music was a little lacking for something that won the Tony for Best Musical, but agreed on the humor. Very enjoyable.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »
Saw Les Mis when I was in in London. Surprisingly tickets weren’t that expensive.

But man when that first note of “Look Down” hit, I got chills.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2019, 09:48:01 AM »
I thought the music was a little lacking for something that won the Tony for Best Musical, but agreed on the humor. Very enjoyable.
Did you see it with Jefferson Mays?  He was the main reason I liked it so much.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 09:50:54 AM »
When in NYC do check out one of the bigger venues but also look at the off-Broadway fare.

We saw a play called "Puffs" off Broadway  last year which was basically the Harry Potter at Hogwarts story told through the eyes of the Hufflepuffs.  Quite funny in some places.  Had a lot of fun with some of the weird changes in the movies (like a different performer as Dumbledore in the middle of the play).
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
Any suggestions for theaters in London? Going across the pond in April with the kids (12, 10, 4), so would have to be age appropriate.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 10:04:03 AM »
Also, if anyone happens to be in NYC both Waitress and Dear Evan Hansen are worth seeing. Sara Bareilles, who wrote Waitress, will be rejoining the cast for a limited run. About a year ago I saw a production with her and Jason Mraz in the two lead roles. It was fantastic.

Interesting.  I saw Waitress awhile back with Katherine McPhee and it was just eh.  And I like Sara Bareilles.

I personally loved Book of Mormon.  Some of it was a bit aggressive and I could see how it could offend, but if you step away from that, the music is well done and there are a ton of laughs.  Its not supposed to be high brow, more Avenue Q

Any suggestions for theaters in London? Going across the pond in April with the kids (12, 10, 4), so would have to be age appropriate.

Ive seen both Aladdin and Lion King on the West End.  Believe both are playing.  Aladdin was excellent.  An extra musical number or two than the movie, but the costumes, sets, and joking dialogue is great.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2019, 10:15:22 AM »
When I was a junior at MU, I studied abroad at St. Claire’s in Oxford. They regularly had great student ticket prices to London shows as part of group outings, and the school transported students to/from Oxford/London. It didn’t hurt that the girl I liked kept going to shows, but while there, I saw Les Mis, Chicago, Miss Saigon, Annie to name a few. For me, Les Mis is as good as it gets.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 10:39:07 AM »
We are not much into musicals and pretty much just see MKE Rep shows: several McGivern plays, Dick Enberg's Al McGuire and the Lombardi play a few years ago.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:32:26 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 11:37:23 AM »
Not the best production I've ever seen, but perhaps the coolest experience I had at a theatre was watching Twelfth Night at the Globe in London.

Little disappointing, because Twelfth Night is probably my favorite Shakespeare play and the take on it was meh, but man watching a play in the globe was special.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:22 AM »

Ive seen both Aladdin and Lion King on the West End.  Believe both are playing.  Aladdin was excellent.  An extra musical number or two than the movie, but the costumes, sets, and joking dialogue is great.

Good call Wags.  Thanks.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »
I went to some show on Broadway with a chick a couple years ago. Forget what it was, but I remember I bought a wine and it was $24 and came with a lid and straw.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
I wrote a play at MU called "The Pipe Goeth Sweet".
It was a kind of historical fiction loosely based on Edmund S. Morgan's "The Puritan Dilemma", where John Winthrop and Anne Hutchinson had a secret affair, and that was the real reason she was banished.
It sucked royally.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »
I wrote a play at MU called "The Pipe Goeth Sweet".
It was a kind of historical fiction loosely based on Edmund S. Morgan's "The Puritan Dilemma", where John Winthrop and Anne Hutchinson had a secret affair, and that was the real reason she was banished.
It sucked royally.

Sounds like it sucked royally.   ;D

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:05 PM »
Sounds like it sucked royally.   ;D

Maybe I need to work on my pitch.
Come to think of it, yeah, I'm sure THAT must be the reason it never saw the stage.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »
ZFB is a member of the international thespians society,  earned from stage crew in high school.   Plus a single walk on appearance in Oklahoma my senior year (I was a cowboy).

Still ar. Know wonder ewe kept diggin' Buzz's chit while he wuz heer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 03:02:33 PM »
"I don't care what Chick says, my mom's a babe" 

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2019, 03:05:39 PM »

The best way to score tix is the TKTS box at Leicester Square. Dozens of shows at discount. Since there is such a wide variety on offer there is no reason to go elsewhere (unless there is a show you absolutely must attend.)

TKTS will sell seats for up to three days in advance.

theBabyDavid

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2019, 03:14:24 PM »
When I was a junior at MU, I studied abroad at St. Claire’s in Oxford. They regularly had great student ticket prices to London shows as part of group outings, and the school transported students to/from Oxford/London. It didn’t hurt that the girl I liked kept going to shows, but while there, I saw Les Mis, Chicago, Miss Saigon, Annie to name a few. For me, Les Mis is as good as it gets.

I was based at RAF Bicester when I was flying F 16 Vipers and CJs. Oxford is one rail stop away.

We lads often headed down to Oxford where we patronized The Bear as well as The Eagle and Child. Great old pubs. I recall The Bear is about 800 years old. Imagine the catalogue of world problems solved inside those walls over eight centuries.

theBabyDavid

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »
Hamilton is brilliant. Saw it in Chicago last year. Locally, saw Book of Mormon, Rent, Lion King, and Eric Idle Exploits Monty Python in Milwaukee when they were on tour, all very good. Saw The Waitress on Broadway, it was okay. But nothing beats McGuire when it's in Milwaukee.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

theBabyDavid

• Scholarship Player
  • pretty stinkin' cute
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »

Still ar. Know wonder ewe kept diggin' Buzz's chit while he wuz heer, hey?

The Marquette Years: Zigmeister headed to the Helfaer Theatre for play practice

theBabyDavid