Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Road Warriors  (Read 14538 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Road Warriors
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2019, 10:05:45 PM »
Lead story on Sportcenter tonight.

Love this. Marquette with 2 leads on SC in the past month.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2019, 10:09:29 PM »
As soon as he got fouled, he told each guy on the court "I'll make 'em", while walking to the line. He did.

Just about to post this. I loved his calmness walking up there. Big win.

GoGoldenEagles

• Walk-On
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
The announcers jinx is real. End of the game they said  “and Creighton is going to win it”. Somehow after those words we force it to overtime and later win. Crazy game!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2019, 10:14:58 PM »
6.  We really miss Elliott.  Sacar is simple not very good at all.  His early 3s are brutal.  His free throws are terrible and his defense is average at best.  Worst 2 in BE by far. 
End of regulation n overtime hinged on Markus and the defense played by Chartouney.  Obvioosly other things too but the defense Chartouney pkayed after Sacar fouled out was simply fantastic

No upset here. You win the stoopid post of the night.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2019, 10:16:49 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2019, 10:19:04 PM »
I had a feeling about this game. I am vacationing in Florida with my family and could not find a way to stream the game and I could not find it on cable so I bought 30 days of Hulu TV for $33. Seemed pretty expensive but after that win it was the best $33 I spent this year!

I don't feel we stole this game. I think we took this game a way from a very good team on their home court. The team is growing up and we have a ridiculously awesome guard in Markus Howard. They will write songs about him and etch petroglyphs of his amazing feats on basement walls!

Let's take some magic from this game and really bring the house down on Seton Hall Saturday. Time to paint faces and get real loud.

I would agree
After we were down by 13
At 32-19, i think we really started to play better defense.  We had 13 turnovers for thegame but about 5 before that point.  So we trailed by 29-16 and then 32-19 twice by 13 points last with about 8 minutes to go in the first half.  From that point on thru the end of regulation we won by 13 points.  Yes sam hit the huge 3, but creighton also banked in 2 3s n had the inbounds n 3 at the shot clock, so they had their luck as well.  I thought our defense was really good that last 28 minutes plus overtime, but some of their shot making can make it look not so good.  Hopefully, this effort and this win can have them understanding how hard and what level of defense is needed from the opening tip, especially on the road.
 Lastly,Great mental toughness by these guys, takes great mental toughness when all things stack up agaibst you and the opponent keeps banging in shot after shot.   
Monkey off the back, hopefully no let down versus The Hall
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2019, 10:20:51 PM »
What was the monkey on the back?

That we had lost all TWO of our road games?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2019, 10:21:39 PM »
I don't get CBS Sports Net on my streaming package so I was gonna watch the game on reddit. I even did a test run yesterday to make sure I could, and I watched a few minutes of whatever game it was (can't even remember). So I was sure it wouldn't be a problem.

But for whatever reason -- whether it was my computer or reddit or my wireless or my brain -- I couldn't get the game on. So I had to settle for checking the score constantly, and I was getting frustrated. I decided that if we were within 8 at halftime I'd drive to a bar to watch the second half. We were within 6 so off I went. Mrs. 82 has to work early tomorrow so she didn't join me.

Got to the bar a couple minutes into the second half and watched as our gallant lads fought back. Every time we'd get within a couple/few, Creighton would bank a 3 or make some other crazy shot. Markus goes off and I'm trying to stay chill because I'm the only one watching this game in a fairly crowded bar. But after one of Markus' 3s I went, "Yeah baby!" and pumped my fist. We pull within 1 and finally get a stop and have a chance for the lead ... and then Markus, who split the D to get open, passed up the open shot to try to get the ball to Sacar. "Whattaryadoin'!" I yelled. A couple at the bar laughed.

We're down 5 with a few seconds left and Creighton gives JCS the layup because of course they don't want to foul him. If he makes it, there's 2.5, maybe 3 seconds left and we still have a chance. But he misses it, gets his own board and scores, so now, as we all know, only 0.8. Even though I'm a huge optimist, I'm resigned to the loss.

Then Creighton doesn't touch the ball on a long inbound pass -- how glorious was that? -- and we know what happens next, and I go crazy. (BTW - it makes sense for one of the tall guys to be on the receiving end of Markus' pass. Much easier to enter it in to Sam or Joey than to a 5-11 guy.)

But the replay takes forever and every time I watch it, it looks like the ball is still on the tip of Sam's middle and index fingers when the red light comes on. The refs keep watching the replay, then the one guy puts on the headset like 3 times. I guess he was talking to Ground Control or Major Tom or something. I don't have volume on the TV, so I don't know what the announcers are saying. The score says 85-85 and the bartender comes over and says, "Wow, y'all tied it up." And I said, "Yeah, we hit a miracle shot, but I think it was a nanosecond late and they're gonna wave it off." But then ... it's good!

As good as the OT was, with Markus in the effen twilight zone, it was almost anticlimactic. How about JCS calmly sinking those 2 FTs, though?

After it was over, I apologized to the couple sitting next to me. The guy says, "That's cool, bro, we enjoyed how much the game was torturing you." I leave the bar, and on my way home my little brother calls me. He tells me he got pissed off with 6 seconds left in regulation and turned off the TV. I laughed my arse off! He looked at his phone a little while later to see how much we lost by, only to see it was in OT. He did watch the replay of Sam's shot and see most of the OT.

That was my crazy night. That's sports, baby. That's why we all love this shyte. You never know when you watch a sporting event what's gonna happen; sometimes, it's special like this.

Sports is the only true -- and by far the best -- reality TV.

We are ... Marquette!!!!!

Thx for tge recap, but umm we saw the game too

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2019, 10:22:21 PM »
What was the monkey on the back?

That we had lost all TWO of our road games?

Probably more that we lost both games by 20 and the team played flat.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2019, 10:23:11 PM »
I would agree
After we were down by 13
At 32-19, i think we really started to play better defense.  We had 13 turnovers for thegame but about 5 before that point.  So we trailed by 29-16 and then 32-19 twice by 13 points last with about 8 minutes to go in the first half.  From that point on thru the end of regulation we won by 13 points.  Yes sam hit the huge 3, but creighton also banked in 2 3s n had the inbounds n 3 at the shot clock, so they had their luck as well.  I thought our defense was really good that last 28 minutes plus overtime, but some of their shot making can make it look not so good.  Hopefully, this effort and this win can have them understanding how hard and what level of defense is needed from the opening tip, especially on the road.
 Lastly,Great mental toughness by these guys, takes great mental toughness when all things stack up agaibst you and the opponent keeps banging in shot after shot.   
Monkey off the back, hopefully no let down versus The Hall

To confirm, you're over 40 and have a degree from Marquette?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2019, 10:25:06 PM »

Not much of a monkey. Maybe one of those tiny, plastic "barrel of monkey" toy monkeys.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2019, 10:25:49 PM »
Not much of a monkey. Maybe one of those tiny, plastic "barrel of monkey" toy monkeys.

Agree. Broke the seal would have been a better one.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2019, 10:26:16 PM »
Love this. Marquette with 2 leads on SC in the past month.

Absolutely  great for Recruiting.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2019, 10:29:33 PM »

Correct and they were down 13 just 10 minutes in.  Sorry u dont understand game pressure Mu82.  But these kids hear whats being said and written.  And a good start was asuredly talked about.  Sorry u couldnt see the monkey.  Everyone else could.  Again huge props to the boys to battle back

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2019, 10:30:14 PM »

(caution - banned word in gif)

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2019, 10:30:30 PM »

Ugh, now we’ll be winning road games every 20 minutes for the rest of the night.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2019, 10:35:54 PM »
Ugh, now we’ll be winning road games every 20 minutes for the rest of the night.
Nice
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2019, 10:56:08 PM »
The announcers jinx is real. End of the game they said  “and Creighton is going to win it”. Somehow after those words we force it to overtime and later win. Crazy game!

That announcer screwed up so many calls down the stretch it was ridiculous. Totally botched the Creighton inbound with .8 left. First he said it was MU ball, but then “corrected” himself to say it was Creighton’s to inbound again before the commentator indicated MU would be inbounding. Amazing. That was after he already declared the game over before Creighton inbounded it. Rough night for him.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2019, 11:03:08 PM »

He just got famous. Well, Scoop famous. (which is really the best kind of famous)
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MU Buff

• Starter
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2019, 11:06:18 PM »
That announcer screwed up so many calls down the stretch it was ridiculous. Totally botched the Creighton inbound with .8 left. First he said it was MU ball, but then “corrected” himself to say it was Creighton’s to inbound again before the commentator indicated MU would be inbounding. Amazing. That was after he already declared the game over before Creighton inbounded it. Rough night for him.

I was also amazed they had no idea how the replay review works for Joey's 3. I would think they've done enough basketball games to know the refs look at it the next timeout.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2019, 11:06:39 PM »
I can't believe I turned the game off. When I read Tower's Road Warrior post I thought it was sarcasm. Good thing I Tivo'd the game

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2019, 11:10:09 PM »
I can't believe I turned the game off. When I read Tower's Road Warrior post I thought it was sarcasm. Good thing I Tivo'd the game

"Oh ye of little faith"!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2019, 11:32:08 PM »
By the way Creighton is a good and well coached team. Some of those guys are tough.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2019, 11:33:25 PM »
What a great college basketball game. And Markus is such a dude.

That is all. Good night everyone!  ;D 8-)
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.