Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Road Warriors  (Read 14808 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Road Warriors
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2019, 12:07:50 AM »
Wow what a game. After Chartouny missed an uncontested layup to make it a 3 point game at the end of regulation I asked myself why even bother, thank you Joseph for not giving up and putting that layup in with .8, huge rebound and play overall. Incredible effort by him on Hauser’s missed 3 to set it up.

Because of margin of victory now counts in NCAA Net, even if we lost that layup by Chartouny helps.  Play to the end, it literally matters every point along with the efficiency data the NCAA is using now.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2019, 12:08:12 AM »
This win is killing me. I had work to do tonight but I can't think about anything but this game, so I'm spending all my time here with my Scoop brothers and sisters.

It would be so much easier if I was one of the "best fans" who only Scoops when we lose!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2019, 12:12:10 AM »
This win is killing me. I had work to do tonight but I can't think about anything but this game, so I'm spending all my time here with my Scoop brothers and sisters.

It would be so much easier if I was one of the "best fans" who only Scoops when we lose!

We're glad you are here, even though you aren't one of those bestest fans.   And to give a few of them credit, they ate a little crow.

We're going to lose a game or two we probably shouldn't, so the death spirals will start back up again at that point, but for now a good evening to say WTH did I just see.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2019, 05:23:09 AM »
I ran out of bourbon in OT.

And I had a Decent amount.

Wow

Sluggish today but worth it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2019, 06:20:48 AM »
After a night of blissful sleep, more thoughts....
Sam's shot was too close to overturn either way.    If they had overturned their original call, I would have been ticked, but it was so close I would have understood.
Wojo should get more credit than he has for last night.    Subtle changes to the defense, knowing when to chuck the playbook, Sam knowing to not tough the ball on the pass after the Creighton guy missed it, the 3 second huddle on the way back up the floor that got them into that play..... nice work. 
Chartouny did some good things last night.   

There are going to be nights where Markus is not good and the team has to find ways to win with him stinking.  He isn't perfect.    But, damn, when he has it......       Learn to accept the bad with the transcendent.   

This is a good team.   Enjoy them.    Every loss is not the end of the world.   This is still a good team.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2019, 06:36:39 AM »
Sam's shot was too close to overturn either way.    If they had overturned their original call, I would have been ticked, but it was so close I would have understood.
Wojo should get more credit than he has for last night.    Subtle changes to the defense, knowing when to chuck the playbook, Sam knowing to not tough the ball on the pass after the Creighton guy missed it, the 3 second huddle on the way back up the floor that got them into that play..... nice work. 

There are going to be nights where Markus is not good and the team has to find ways to win with him stinking.  He isn't perfect.    But, damn, when he has it......       Learn to accept the bad with the transcendent.   

This is a good team.   Enjoy them.    Every loss is not the end of the world.   This is still a good team.

Wojo had a great comment on postgame radio.  EVERY single play and player mattered.  Mess up one thing and we lose. Joseph and Theo come to mind for me.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2019, 07:01:26 AM »
Nm
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:04:56 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2019, 07:15:14 AM »
Great comeback victory on the road for the Warriors. Hopefully, it builds their confidence.
Markus was awesome, and can have 9 TOs a game if he scores 40 plus. Has to get other players involved more, though.
No defensive adjustments that I could see by Wojo to defend the 3. Just lucky that Howard was matching them 3 for 3.
J. Hauser should be a much better defender with his length. He has a lot to learn there.
Needed the win to get in the hunt for BEast top. Not conviced Wojo can get the job done, however.
Take the win and improve from here.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2019, 07:22:25 AM »
Great comeback victory on the road for the Warriors. Hopefully, it builds their confidence.
Markus was awesome, and can have 9 TOs a game if he scores 40 plus. Has to get other players involved more, though.
Just lucky that Howard was matching them 3 for 3.
J. Hauser should be a much better defender with his length. He has a lot to learn there.
Needed the win to get in the hunt for BEast top.
Take the win and improve from here.

I took the (bad) (predictable) words right out of your post.

Otherwise, you took the words right out of mine.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2019, 07:25:20 AM »
6.  We really miss Elliott.  Sacar is simple not very good at all.  His early 3s are brutal.  His free throws are terrible and his defense is average at best.  Worst 2 in BE by far. 
End of regulation n overtime hinged on Markus and the defense played by Chartouney.  Obvioosly other things too but the defense Chartouney pkayed after Sacar fouled out was simply fantastic
I agree that every time I see him pull up for a 3 I feel like it is a wasted possession.  I think his defense is better than average though.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2019, 07:29:32 AM »
By the way Creighton is a good and well coached team. Some of those guys are tough.
Their offense is a thing of beauty.  They got better shots than we did most of the night.  We just shot it a tiny bit better anyway.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2019, 07:33:14 AM »
Subtle changes to the defense, knowing when to chuck the playbook, Sam knowing to not tough the ball on the pass after the Creighton guy missed it,

I think it was Joey who knew not to touch the ball.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2019, 07:36:31 AM »
I can't believe I turned the game off. When I read Tower's Road Warrior post I thought it was sarcasm. Good thing I Tivo'd the game
My boss is in Singapore so I had a meeting at 8 (7 Central), which was halftime.  So I DVR'd the game and picked it up when the meeting ended at about 8:25.  After Markus was blocked and they hit the FTs to go up 85-80, I was about 2 minutes behind the game in real time.  I figured the game was over so I fast forwarded to the end.  When I saw through the fast forward Sam sitting on the bench and 85-85 on the graphic, I was stunned and quickly rewound to watch.  Missed the total joy of Sam's shot going in without knowing it was going to go in.  Not kicking myself, because winning that game had to be one in ten thousand or something at that point.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2019, 07:38:04 AM »

I was also amazed they had no idea how the replay review works for Joey's 3. I would think they've done enough basketball games to know the refs look at it the next timeout.

That too!

connie

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2019, 07:41:11 AM »
Great road win.  Another strong step in the right direction.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2019, 07:49:09 AM »
6.  We really miss Elliott.  Sacar is simple not very good at all.  His early 3s are brutal.  His free throws are terrible and his defense is average at best.  Worst 2 in BE by far. 
End of regulation n overtime hinged on Markus and the defense played by Chartouney.  Obvioosly other things too but the defense Chartouney pkayed after Sacar fouled out was simply fantastic

Agree we miss Elliott, but the criticism of Sacar is unwarranted (other than the free throws). He brings a great, and very necessary, complementary skill to the team with him ability to cut and drive to the bucket and finish. He has also hit some timely 3s this year, and never forces anything. I also think his D is better than average. Not everyone can be a star, but role players are crucial on a successful team, and Sacar is a good one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 10, 2019, 07:57:26 AM »
Agree we miss Elliott, but the criticism of Sacar is unwarranted (other than the free throws). He brings a great, and very necessary, complementary skill to the team with him ability to cut and drive to the bucket and finish. He has also hit some timely 3s this year, and never forces anything. I also think his D is better than average. Not everyone can be a star, but role players are crucial on a successful team, and Sacar is a good one.

Of course this is true, SW. You can't win with a team of players with Sacar's skill set, but it helps you win when you have a couple of them and you know how to use them.

The guy who delivered the greatly exaggerated reasons to rip Sacar also claimed a couple years back that Luke was the worst center ever. Not a whole lot of basketball knowledge there.

He also became the only person in this thread to make a political statement even though his signature criticizes any Scooper who would make a political statement.

But on the bright side, at least he's borderline illiterate.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 10, 2019, 08:11:42 AM »
By the way Creighton is a good and well coached team. Some of those guys are tough.

Funny you say that because if you pop over to the Creighton message boards they want McDermott’s head.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:44 AM »
My boss is in Singapore so I had a meeting at 8 (7 Central), which was halftime.  So I DVR'd the game and picked it up when the meeting ended at about 8:25.  After Markus was blocked and they hit the FTs to go up 85-80, I was about 2 minutes behind the game in real time.  I figured the game was over so I fast forwarded to the end.  When I saw through the fast forward Sam sitting on the bench and 85-85 on the graphic, I was stunned and quickly rewound to watch.  Missed the total joy of Sam's shot going in without knowing it was going to go in.  Not kicking myself, because winning that game had to be one in ten thousand or something at that point.

That happened to me for the Davidson game.  Had it recorded, started doing the 30-second skip towards  the end to put myself out of my misery, but then I saw all the Marquette players jumping up and down and screaming.  I had to rewind to figure out what happened.
Have some patience, FFS.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2019, 08:16:44 AM »

He has hit some timely 3s but his 3 point shooting is really really bad.  I like Sacar, his effort and energy are great and he appears to be a great teammate.  My criticisms are purely objective.  How many 2 guards in the BE, let alone the country shoot the ball as poorly from the FT line and 3 line as Sacar? If we didnt run the curl set for him 3 times a game which often results in a layup what would his shooting percentage be?
The 2 spot is a huge weakness for us, its really unfortunate. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2019, 08:17:26 AM »
Funny you say that because if you pop over to the Creighton message boards they want McDermott’s head.

Well, there is no question he blew the inbounds play. As several Scoopers have said, all CU had to do was hand the ball to any Warrior standing inside the 3-point circle and CU couldn't have lost.

Either he failed to convey that during the time-out, or they failed to listen to him; either does not reflect well on McDermott. When you lose a game that's almost impossible to lose, the coach is bound to get hammered. Had the same happened to us, as big a Wojo supporter as I am, I would have been criticizing him for it today.

But I do like the flow of McDermott's offense. It had our defense on its heels much of the night.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2019, 08:18:37 AM »
That happened to me for the Davidson game.  Had it recorded, started doing the 30-second skip towards  the end to put myself out of my misery, but then I saw all the Marquette players jumping up and down and screaming.  I had to rewind to figure out what happened.

Was at that game.  39 minutes of game time agony.  Holy Cross game was similar in 2003

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2019, 08:55:24 AM »

I’ll tack on the something subtle Wojo did that had a huge impact; subbing in Theo, who had struggled most of the night for Morrow who up to that point had been our best big man. I remember thinking why Wojo?? Then Theo did Theo things. Great instincts by Wojo.

On a side note; how great was McDermott’s huddle where he basically told his team (paraphrasing) don’t even try to attack that beast (Theo) in the middle because you have no shot
No Finish Line

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2019, 08:59:53 AM »

I agree with this.  And, the part that I highlighted is one of his biggest improvements since last year, IMO.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2019, 09:00:38 AM »
Monster

feedback