[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Great steak at home  (Read 11963 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: Great steak at home
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2019, 08:48:16 AM »
I hear sous Vidal is a great option.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2019, 04:05:07 PM »
I hear sous Vidal is a great option.

Yes, but only if her brother gore Vidal is not available.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2019, 07:05:55 PM »
Yes, but only if her brother gore Vidal is not available.

Also her 3rd cousin,  Sassoon.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2019, 11:25:16 AM »
Also her 3rd cousin,  Sassoon.

Especially if you want a steak with full body and color enhancement.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:14 PM »
I bought a nice ribeye today and, with it raining outside, I decided to forego grilling and give the cast-iron skillet a try.

I found a 1-minute video put out by the Lodge Cast Iron company, which is the brand of skillet we have, and I followed it, allowing for slight changes due to the fact that the steak, while not thin, also wasn't super thick.

++ Heated the skillet on medium high until a sprinkle of water disappeared after dancing for only a nanosecond.

++ Applied a tiny amount of canola oil.

++ Seared the steak for about 1 minute, 20 seconds, turned it, and seared the other side for another 1:20. (Put some Montreal Steak on it right after I put it on the skillet, and added a little more after flipping.)

++ Put the entire skillet into the oven, which had been preheated to 350 (where potatoes were just about done baking).

++ Flipped the steak after about 2 minutes.

++ Pulled the entire skillet out of the oven about 2 minutes later.

++ Removed steak from skillet to wooden cutting board, where it was allowed to settle for 5 minutes.

It was effen awesome! Medium rare, juicy, delicious. Accompanied with loaded baked potatoes and seasoned asparagus. Woulda cost us $100 at a steak joint.

The cooking process did create quite a bit of haze in the kitchen and made the whole downstairs smell. (Smelled good, though!) We opened a couple of windows and turned on the exhaust fan.

I grill a pretty mean steak, too, so I probably will choose that method occasionally when the weather is nice, but I won't hesitate to do this again.

Thanks to vogue for starting this thread and others for contributing!

My pleasure, it has been an education for me also.  Saturday  I'll do my prep prior to the Providence game and after the game, to celebrate our victory, I'll enjoy a NY Strip, baked potato, and creamed spinach. Hard to believe that Scoopers are so accomplished in the kitchen. 

I just got tired of the endless smoker thread, can't beat a good skillet.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2019, 07:50:54 AM »
Thanks to all for this- I followed MU82’s directions for the most part on a bone-in ribeye from our local butcher- perfection. Won’t be the last time.

feedback