[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Opponents not looking great of late  (Read 90486 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Opponents not looking great of late
« Reply #500 on: February 19, 2019, 09:00:35 PM »
Has there ever been a more profound collapse train wreck of a season for a team in recent memory. Indiana has just derailed right off a cliff into a pit of lava. Just unbelievable

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #501 on: February 19, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »
Has there ever been a more profound collapse train wreck of a season for a team in recent memory. Indiana has just derailed right off a cliff into a pit of lava. Just unbelievable

Both Miller bros holding each other’s beer at the moment
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #502 on: February 19, 2019, 09:28:35 PM »
I think our view of I4 is somewhat inflated.  It's not like they were a preseason pick to be a FF contender.  They weren't even preseason top 25, and they didn't get there until they after they put that whoop'in on us.  They were picked 3rd  in the preseason B14 coaches poll and are currently 12th.  Have they disappointed based on the talent on that roster? Yes.  The -9 preseason to current ranking is not that much worse than the -6 preseason to finish that we were in 2014, especially considering the discrepancy in number of teams in conference.  Extremely disappointing?  Yes.  Historical collapse? No.  Remember, it was only last year that USC went from preseason top 10 to NIT team that needed double OT to beat UNC Asheville.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #503 on: February 19, 2019, 09:34:12 PM »
I think our view of I4 is somewhat inflated.  It's not like they were a preseason pick to be a FF contender.  They weren't even preseason top 25, and they didn't get there until they after they put that whoop'in on us.  They were picked 3rd  in the preseason B14 coaches poll and are currently 12th.  Have they disappointed based on the talent on that roster? Yes.  The -9 preseason to current ranking is not that much worse than the -6 preseason to finish that we were in 2014, especially considering the discrepancy in number of teams in conference.  Extremely disappointing?  Yes.  Historical collapse? No.  Remember, it was only last year that USC went from preseason top 10 to NIT team that needed double OT to beat UNC Asheville.

I dunno. I understand underperforming preseason predictions but I think it’s more about the complete falloff that’s jarring

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #504 on: February 19, 2019, 09:40:07 PM »
I dunno. I understand underperforming preseason predictions but I think it’s more about the complete falloff that’s jarring

MU was preseason 17 in the 2013-14 season, and didn't even make the NIT.  I4 was preseason "others receiving votes" and is currently next four out of the NCAA tourney per bracketmatrix.  Our view of them is inflated because of the beat-down they gave us in November.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #505 on: February 19, 2019, 09:46:41 PM »
What does I4 mean

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #506 on: February 19, 2019, 10:04:17 PM »
MU was preseason 17 in the 2013-14 season, and didn't even make the NIT.  I4 was preseason "others receiving votes" and is currently next four out of the NCAA tourney per bracketmatrix.  Our view of them is inflated because of the beat-down they gave us in November.
perhaps I wasn’t specific. I moreso meant they were 12-2 including wins over us and Louisville and then went 1-11 in their next twelve games. Not the preseason hype

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #507 on: February 19, 2019, 10:08:25 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #508 on: February 19, 2019, 10:10:05 PM »
I'd argue haarms went over the back on that tip in

My initial thought was that he did, but the replay didn't seem to support it much. He did make contact, but watching the replay I didn't think it was the kind of thing that's routinely called, let alone in the final seconds. He's really tall and he jumped over the top of the Indiana player.

Edwards is one of my favorite players to watch in recent memory.

I'm a fan, too. He just had a bad night. It happens. I once saw Tim Hardaway go 0-for-17 in an NBA game, and he was an effen great player.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199112270MIN.html

perhaps I wasn’t specific. I moreso meant they were 12-2 including wins over us and Louisville and then went 1-11 in their next twelve games. Not the preseason hype

Excellent point. It's not about preseason hype. It's about a team falling apart during what looked like a very promising season early on.

In the end, it looks like all they are going to get out of their one season of Langford is an NIT appearance (if that). I'd rather have a 5-star than not have a 5-star, but there are no guarantees.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #509 on: February 19, 2019, 10:10:25 PM »

Ahh, I understand what your saying now.  I still don't think a drop-off can be classified as "historic" if they only peaked at 21 in the rankings, and are still in the mix for an at large less than a month from Selection Sunday.  It's been shocking yes, but my no means unheard of.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #510 on: February 19, 2019, 10:10:31 PM »
Indiana.
well yeah.. but whats with the 4? is it not IU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #511 on: February 19, 2019, 10:12:59 PM »
well yeah.. but whats with the 4? is it not IU
When Coach Crean abandoned ship his excuse was "Its Indiana , Its Indiana"  4 Is there so I4
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #512 on: February 19, 2019, 10:18:36 PM »
Edwards is one of my favorite players to watch in recent memory.

Meh. He’s a shi ttier version of our guy.

If I want to see that type of player I’ll just enjoy Markus.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #513 on: February 20, 2019, 07:13:10 AM »
Ahh, I understand what your saying now.  I still don't think a drop-off can be classified as "historic" if they only peaked at 21 in the rankings, and are still in the mix for an at large less than a month from Selection Sunday.  It's been shocking yes, but my no means unheard of.

Any other examples? 2007 Clemson & Oliver Purnell come to mind, but not often a team falls that far off a cliff. It's rare a team goes from having that kind of a start to not even making the NCAA tournament.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #514 on: February 20, 2019, 07:16:40 AM »
What does I4 mean

"It's Indiana,  it's Indiana."

-Tom Crean at his 1st Indiana press conference

tower912

• All American
« Reply #515 on: February 20, 2019, 07:17:41 AM »
I'd argue haarms went over the back on that tip in
I'd argue that IU did not want to place themselves in Haarms way.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #516 on: February 20, 2019, 07:28:51 AM »
Any other examples? 2007 Clemson & Oliver Purnell come to mind, but not often a team falls that far off a cliff. It's rare a team goes from having that kind of a start to not even making the NCAA tournament.

Just a quick look and I got I4 in 16-17.  Started 10-2 with wins over #3 Kansas and #3 UNC.  Ended up 18-15 and lost in the first round of the NIT, after refusing to host the game.  That teams only wins from the end of January to the end of Febraury were a 3OT home win vs Penn St, and a 1 point home win vs NW.

I also still refuse to believe that last year ASU (started 12-0, finished 20-11) and Oklahoma (Started 14-2, finished 18-13) deserved bids.  Indiana still has a shot at getting a bid this year too.  There's a lot of work to be done, but go 2-1 in their next three, and they should be projected back in the field.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #517 on: February 20, 2019, 10:09:34 PM »
TOM CREAN:

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1098424230956466178?s=21

What a sucky ass way to lose a basketball game. Ha. Couldn’t have happened to a better guy 😎

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #518 on: February 20, 2019, 10:13:30 PM »
TOM CREAN:

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1098424230956466178?s=21

What a sucky ass way to lose a basketball game. Ha. Couldn’t have happened to a better guy 😎

What's to stop an away fan from throwing something on the court at the end of a close game if home team is gonna get punished for fan behavior?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #519 on: February 20, 2019, 10:19:35 PM »
Yet when Happ is shooting 40% from the line in conference play...

Not sure why you respond about UW’s team stats. I specifically said Gard should keep Happ in so he can get to the line down the stretch. All that matters.

#FTsNoMatta means that team FT% isn't relevant to wins and losses. You know that.

(PS - Gard said he kept Happ out because of his turnovers)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #520 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:46 PM »
What's to stop an away fan from throwing something on the court at the end of a close game if home team is gonna get punished for fan behavior?

They're surrounded by home fans.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #521 on: February 20, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »

Great point. Might utilize this at MSG during BETOURNEY.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #522 on: February 21, 2019, 05:52:11 AM »
They're surrounded by home fans.

How are they going to stop the action of it even if they pounce on the fan after it happens?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #523 on: February 21, 2019, 06:18:14 AM »
How are they going to stop the action of it even if they pounce on the fan after it happens?

Chicos should know, he routinely gets his ass beat by those around him and is still a complete dbag.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #524 on: February 21, 2019, 06:30:04 AM »
Chicos should know, he routinely gets his ass beat by those around him and is still a complete dbag.

Unnecessary