Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

If Markus continues to put up 30 and 40 point games, and stays in the conversation for NPOY, do you expect Markus to return for his senior year?

Yes, 80-100% certain he will return.
218 (50.6%)
Probably, 60-80%
149 (34.6%)
Maybe, 40-60%
42 (9.7%)
Probably not, 20-40%
16 (3.7%)
No, 0-20%.  He is ready for the league.
6 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 429

Author Topic: Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?  (Read 48257 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Do you expect Markus back for his senior year?
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2019, 11:28:05 AM »
I think his ball handling has improved drastically. Court vision is still pretty bad.

I don't think his vision is as bad as some here do.  A lot of the time, I think he knows who is open and where they are, he just can't make the pass.  A high percentage of our P&R's someone is open under the basket, but Markus is doubled and only being 5-11 can't make the pass.  If he forces it, and it gets picked off, it's an easy two the other way, and we're all complaining about his TO's.  Just because someone is open, doesn't always mean the pass is there, or that continuing to dribble isn't the right decision.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
The other question is, will "0" be retired if he stays four years?

1SE

• All American
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »
Markus may well go into the books as the MU GOAT. When he’s unconscious he’s literally unstoppable. But if he could get his teammates involved more I think this could be up there with one of the best MU teams of all time.

As it is, it’s a big ask for him to go unconscious 4 games in a row in March to put this team in rarefied air. I’m not confident we get past Markus’ “down” game in the tourney.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:45:32 AM by 1SE »
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:18 AM »

At a minimum he’ll be all time leading scorer - by a wide margin - of course it will be retired.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2019, 11:47:20 AM »
Actully, his jersey would be retired, not the number “0”.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »
Disagree with this, i think he is noticeably better now than he was at the start of the year!

Agreed

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2019, 11:55:01 AM »
Where would I find a good place for the definitions you use?  I am quite literate in baseball stats, but not so much in basketball and would like to be better informed.  Since baseball has a good set of stats that are less context driven, I tend to think of them as more telling than most basketball stats, since you are much more dependent on your teammates in basketball.

From kenpom.com (where I pulled the data) below:

Turnover Rate (TORate): This is the percentage of personal possessions used on turnovers. It can be highly dependent on context.  Players that do little passing or dribbling (i.e. spot-up shooters) will have an artificially deflated TO%.

https://kenpom.com/blog/help-with-team-page/

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2019, 11:55:48 AM »
Markus may well go into the books as the MU GOAT. When he’s unconscious he’s literally unstoppable. But if he could get his teammates involved more I think this could be up there with one of the best MU teams of all time.

As it is, it’s a big ask for him to go unconscious 4 games in a row in March to put this team in rarefied air. I’m not confident we get past Markus’ “down” game in the tourney.

This feels like recency bias.  He's an amazing scorer, great kid, so thrilled to watch him play.  But the MU GOAT, I just can't go there.  Not sure he even makes the Marquette Mt. Rushmore, not yet anyway.  Fair or not, team success is usually part of that equation.  There's the defensive part, which has improved but still has a ways to go.  We've had guys in the past that were elite offensive and defensive players.  Don't think anyone with a straight face can say that with MH.  One could also argue college basketball in the past was better in the sense that guys stayed 3 or 4 years so the type of players were more mature, seasoned, more NBA ready college players in NCAA because they had no other choice.  I'm not arguing individually today's players are worse, in many ways they are better (bigger, quicker, stronger), but with all the movement to leave early and inexperience that remains it should be factored in.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2019, 12:04:20 PM »

Been thinking about this too... Wade had some struggles against Holy Cross & Missouri in '03, and as a result we struggled. Diener stepped up huge against HC & Mizzou, and Novak went apesh*t down the stretch & OT against Mizzou. Then Wade woke up in the 2H against Pitt and went on a 3 half tear. Who would be Markus's Diener/Novak this year? The Hausers? I could see it. Just need to give him enough chances and Markus can get hot enough to beat anyone in college BB.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2019, 12:24:32 PM »
At a minimum he’ll be all time leading scorer - by a wide margin - of course it will be retired.
Is there an updated list with where Markus is now out there anywhere?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »

He's good, but really?

Better than DWade, who put us on his back and carried us to a Final Four?

Better than Butch and Bo, the nucleus of our National Championship team?

Better than Jim Chones, who was so good he only lasted two years?

Better than Maurice Lucas, who carried us to the National Championship game in 1974?

I could go on. Markus may be among the Top 5 or so best of all time at MU, but to be the GOAT requires that the team also be among the GOATs. We're not there yet. That's why people like Brady, Michael, Magic, Kareem and others are talked about as GOATs.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »
He currently has:
- 4 highest scoring games in Marquette history.
- 2 highest scoring games in Big East history

And is on pace for:
- Marquette single season scoring record
- Marquette all-time scoring record
- Big East all-time scoring record

And has decent shots at:
- Various player of the year honors
- All-American honors

I don't even think he would have to play 4 years to warrant a number retirement.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2019, 12:37:15 PM »
He's good, but really?

Better than Maurice Lucas, who carried us to the National Championship game in 1974?

I could go on. Markus may be among the Top 5 or so best of all time at MU, but to be the GOAT requires that the team also be among the GOATs. We're not there yet. That's why people like Brady, Michael, Magic, Kareem and others are talked about as GOATs.
So if Markus goes cold and the Hauser brothers go off come tournament time and bring us to a FF can he then be the GOAT?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2019, 01:14:46 PM »
I don't think his vision is as bad as some here do.  A lot of the time, I think he knows who is open and where they are, he just can't make the pass.  A high percentage of our P&R's someone is open under the basket, but Markus is doubled and only being 5-11 can't make the pass.  If he forces it, and it gets picked off, it's an easy two the other way, and we're all complaining about his TO's.  Just because someone is open, doesn't always mean the pass is there, or that continuing to dribble isn't the right decision.

I think this is an excellent point. Watching on TV and even most people watching in the stands don't have a great angle to see whether or not there is a clear passing lane. All we see is a player open and think "why aren't they passing it to the open guy." You don't have to stand right next to a guy to play good defense. Smart defenders know how to play help defense while simultaneously denying any pass that would go to their man.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2019, 01:23:27 PM »
He's good, but really?

Simple recency bias.  It's not a team issue.  It's the fact that 90% of our true All Americans played before many on scoop were born.  The only exception is Wade.

A fairer statement is that he might be the greatest pure shooter in Marquette history.  THAT I could support.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
I also want you guys to comment on something I still see a little.  And let's admit we're nitpicking because he is so good.

I wish Markus moved just a bit better without the ball.  I think he can still improve on his court awareness and his ability to be in spots for his teammates to get him the ball easily in good shooting position.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2019, 01:55:25 PM »

Oliver Lee's gonna tink its four him, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2019, 01:57:47 PM »
So if Markus goes cold and the Hauser brothers go off come tournament time and bring us to a FF can he then be the GOAT?

Brother LoudMouth, if we make the Final Four it's going to be because the Hauser Brothers went off AND Markus continues to play at his current level. In that case, I'd agree he would be among the GOATs.

We have 1.4 seasons left to decide this, so I am in no hurry, yet!

Brother Glow, you're right. This is a recency bias.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2019, 02:18:29 PM »

Oliver Lee's gonna tink its four him, aina?
Oliver Lee is Vince Carters uncle. How bout those bloodlines.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:42:59 PM by Herman Cain »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2019, 02:41:04 PM »
He currently has:
- 4 highest scoring games in Marquette history.
- 2 highest scoring games in Big East history

And is on pace for:
- Marquette single season scoring record
- Marquette all-time scoring record
- Big East all-time scoring record

And has decent shots at:
- Various player of the year honors
- All-American honors

I don't even think he would have to play 4 years to warrant a number retirement.

Add 5 games of 9 or more three pointers made, which has only been done one other time at MU.

Also freshman single game record of 34. Pretty sure he was 17 for that one.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2019, 02:47:35 PM »
Oliver Lee was Vince Carters uncle. How bout those bloodlines.

OLee ded, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2019, 03:03:04 PM »

OLee ded, hey?

4ever, I have not seen that anywhere. 
Ludum habemus.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2019, 03:05:45 PM »
Where would I find a good place for the definitions you use?

Basketball on Paper. It’s turnovers / ind possessions... the calc of individual possessions is where it gets tricky. Good luck!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2019, 03:13:05 PM »
4ever, I have not seen that anywhere.

Just axin' based on Hermie's response, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2019, 03:15:04 PM »

Just axin' based on Hermie's response, hey?

Ah. 
Ludum habemus.

feedback