[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I feel guilty  (Read 10429 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
I feel guilty
« on: December 21, 2018, 10:05:03 PM »
Am I the only one that is happy but also not thrilled when Howard does this?  I feel guilty, you take the performance and just go wow...incredible...but I feel like it also encourages him at times to try this when he doesn’t have it. As a result we don’t have balance.

I know, take good with the bad, but need the balance long term....I think...right??

Another great performance....in a game where our two best runs (prior to the end) happened with him on the bench until he became Steph Curry for the last 10 minutes.  Crazy to watch.

Guilty.  STOG
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:09:29 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
Re: I feel guilty
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:07:56 PM »
We have a star.    Sometimes, 5'11 pgs go cold and it is easy to whine in the moment about 'hero ball'.    Nobody expects 40 in a half.    And coming back from a 9 point deficit in the first half with Howard on the bench may be the most important thing this team has done so far this season.     But sometimes you get magic.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
We have a star.    Sometimes, 5'11 pgs go cold and it is easy to whine in the moment about 'hero ball'.    Nobody expects 40 in a half.    And coming back from a 9 point deficit in the first half with Howard on the bench may be the most important thing this team has done so far this season.     But sometimes you get magic.

I know....thus the guilty feelings. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »

Truest statement in all post-game posts.. It could have gotten ugly really quick.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 10:11:49 PM »
The first half was important for the team as a whole. While Howard was off the charts everyone contributed in various ways beyond scoring in this game. Buffalo is the best team we've faced...but Howard demoralized them with that display.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »
Im still stunned at how good theo was tonight too.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 10:13:00 PM »
The first half was important for the team as a whole. While Howard was off the charts everyone contributed in various ways beyond scoring in this game. Buffalo is the best team we've faced...but Howard demoralized them with that display.
Buffalo is better than Kansas?    I think I am going to have to disagree.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:14:46 PM »
Doh...I forgot Kansas. It will be a good test to go on the road at St. John's and Xavier coming up. We have only played one away game I believe and it was at Indiana.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
Doh...I forgot Kansas. It will be a good test to go on the road at St. John's and Xavier coming up. We have only played one away game I believe and it was at Indiana.

Yes, MU has to find a way to win conference road games.    And Cheeks, you have so much else to feel guilty about.    ;D

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 10:17:26 PM »
Im still stunned at how good theo was tonight too.   

Only a sophomore.  Next year this team could be top 10 most of the year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »
Yes, MU has to find a way to win conference road games.    And Cheeks, you have so much else to feel guilty about.    ;D

True dat, the list is long....starting with why I continue to live in this state.   :)

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 10:23:36 PM »
I echo your feelings, Cheeks. He's so frustrating when he's cold, but awe-inspiring when hot. I was wondering what if the halves were flipped. What if he got his 40 in the first, then got into foul trouble and mostly rode the bench the second half? Would I still be as impressed? IDK... I understand what-if games aren't super productive, but I still wonder.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 10:28:59 PM »
If only he could put two good halves together .....
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 10:31:54 PM »
I echo your feelings, Cheeks. He's so frustrating when he's cold, but awe-inspiring when hot. I was wondering what if the halves were flipped. What if he got his 40 in the first, then got into foul trouble and mostly rode the bench the second half? Would I still be as impressed? IDK... I understand what-if games aren't super productive, but I still wonder.

Huh? A 40 point half is a 40 point half.

The only thing hotter than Howard's 2nd half are going to be Scoop's always entertaining takes.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 10:33:25 PM »
Am I the only one that is happy but also not thrilled when Howard does this?  I feel guilty, you take the performance and just go wow...incredible...but I feel like it also encourages him at times to try this when he doesn’t have it. As a result we don’t have balance.

I know, take good with the bad, but need the balance long term....I think...right??

Another great performance....in a game where our two best runs (prior to the end) happened with him on the bench until he became Steph Curry for the last 10 minutes.  Crazy to watch.

Guilty.  STOG

So....he should have stopped shooting?  Just starting feeding the post?

Good heavens.  He strapped the team to his back and won the game for us.  He shot a ton and made all of them.  Why can’t we be thrilled that we have a guy who can do that.  Markus and MU were the lead on SportCenter tonight.  Twitter is going crazy right now with Markus.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy the huge win my brother.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 10:34:26 PM »
Like it or not, but a big time performance by Howard. The kid can flat out score and hats off to him.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 10:36:44 PM »
So....he should have stopped shooting?  Just starting feeding the post?

Good heavens.  He strapped the team to his back and won the game for us.  He shot a ton and made all of them.  Why can’t we be thrilled that we have a guy who can do that.  Markus and MU were the lead on SportCenter tonight.  Twitter is going crazy right now with Markus.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy the huge win my brother.

I am enjoying it, i’d Just like to rely less on him as there are other very good players, too.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 10:39:38 PM »
Ah. Is this the negative/minimize-the-win thread?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 10:39:47 PM »
As I've stated a zillion times, I'm a huge Markus fan. But I admit that I screamed at him through the TV a couple of times before he got going. I wanted him to keep his head up when he's dribbling and look for teammates when he doesn't have a high-percentage shot of his own.

Look, I want Markus to take every single good look he gets, and even some contested ones when he's in rhythm. I do get frustrated when he chucks up a bad look when he's cold, especially when talented teammates like Sam and Joey are open.

But that was incredible in the second half, and I kept saying, "He's gotta keep shooting until they stop him." (Not that he needed my encouragement!) That was some display. Haven't seen too many things like that since all those games watching MJ. He is a special offensive player, and we have a darn good basketball team, folks!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 10:41:09 PM »

Guilty.  STOG
Thisis STUPID!!!!
Goal is National Championship

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 10:42:34 PM »
I am enjoying it, i’d Just like to rely less on him as there are other very good players, too.

If he kept chucking after missing, that is one thing.  But when a guy like Markus is hot and feeling and getting the looks, he will keep taking them until he misses. 

I just don’t understand why people can’t just enjoy a game in a vacuum and not extrapolate out from a half of basketball.  It was an awesome game with an unbelieveable performance by a player.  Enjoy it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »
If he kept chucking after missing, that is one thing.  But when a guy like Markus is hot and feeling and getting the looks, he will keep taking them until he misses. 

I just don’t understand why people can’t just enjoy a game in a vacuum and not extrapolate out from a half of basketball.  It was an awesome game with an unbelieveable performance by a player.  Enjoy it.

You're right, Irwin. It really was a fun, entertaining game, even in the first half when Markus wasn't playing well. Very intense, two good teams going at each other, two coaches who know what they're doing, lots of upper-classmen with pride. Very enjoyable.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 10:47:45 PM »
oh stop. there is balance. markus is either good or great every game.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 10:58:26 PM »
Please appreciate the rare talent and unique and possibly unparalleled performance. I have seen MU hoops since Al started at MU. No one had a game like this. George Thompson, Dean Meminger, Jim Chones, Maurice Lucas, Earl Tatum, Butch Lee, Tony Smith, DWade, Novak--none of them came close to scoring 40 in one half. I saw Tony Smith score 44 at the Fieldhouse in Madison and Novak score 41 and 17 vs. UConn. Markus had 54 at Providence last year and 40 tonight in the second half. Please recognize the rarity of what you have seen and appreciate what you have. I would love to hear what Al McGuire would say about Markus.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 11:14:57 PM »
oh stop. there is balance. markus is either good or great every game.

That is not true.  He was not good against Wisconsin.

Look, I think he is remarkable, insanely good when he has it going.  One of the best I have ever seen.  The good with the bad.  There will be games that he diesn’t have it and will try to keep shooting to get into it, and that is the fear....we have some other really good players and when he is in the shooting mode, they stand around and watch.

There is a reason he sometimes has a chicken reputation, there is some truth to that.  The good with the bad....I hope we don’t pay for it in some key games.

Good with the bad.  Tonight was amazing....other nights amazing....

Call it that I would like to see some diversification for the long term health of team, thus the guilt.

At any rate, another great win.

#firewojo

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:17:53 PM by Cheeks »

feedback