[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by PointWarrior
[April 30, 2024, 11:37:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[April 30, 2024, 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 30, 2024, 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I feel guilty  (Read 10426 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
I feel guilty
« on: December 21, 2018, 10:05:03 PM »
Am I the only one that is happy but also not thrilled when Howard does this?  I feel guilty, you take the performance and just go wow...incredible...but I feel like it also encourages him at times to try this when he doesn’t have it. As a result we don’t have balance.

I know, take good with the bad, but need the balance long term....I think...right??

Another great performance....in a game where our two best runs (prior to the end) happened with him on the bench until he became Steph Curry for the last 10 minutes.  Crazy to watch.

Guilty.  STOG
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:09:29 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
Re: I feel guilty
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:07:56 PM »
We have a star.    Sometimes, 5'11 pgs go cold and it is easy to whine in the moment about 'hero ball'.    Nobody expects 40 in a half.    And coming back from a 9 point deficit in the first half with Howard on the bench may be the most important thing this team has done so far this season.     But sometimes you get magic.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
We have a star.    Sometimes, 5'11 pgs go cold and it is easy to whine in the moment about 'hero ball'.    Nobody expects 40 in a half.    And coming back from a 9 point deficit in the first half with Howard on the bench may be the most important thing this team has done so far this season.     But sometimes you get magic.

I know....thus the guilty feelings. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 10:10:35 PM »

Truest statement in all post-game posts.. It could have gotten ugly really quick.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 10:11:49 PM »
The first half was important for the team as a whole. While Howard was off the charts everyone contributed in various ways beyond scoring in this game. Buffalo is the best team we've faced...but Howard demoralized them with that display.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 10:12:49 PM »
Im still stunned at how good theo was tonight too.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 10:13:00 PM »
The first half was important for the team as a whole. While Howard was off the charts everyone contributed in various ways beyond scoring in this game. Buffalo is the best team we've faced...but Howard demoralized them with that display.
Buffalo is better than Kansas?    I think I am going to have to disagree.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 10:14:46 PM »
Doh...I forgot Kansas. It will be a good test to go on the road at St. John's and Xavier coming up. We have only played one away game I believe and it was at Indiana.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 10:16:00 PM »
Doh...I forgot Kansas. It will be a good test to go on the road at St. John's and Xavier coming up. We have only played one away game I believe and it was at Indiana.

Yes, MU has to find a way to win conference road games.    And Cheeks, you have so much else to feel guilty about.    ;D

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 10:17:26 PM »

Only a sophomore.  Next year this team could be top 10 most of the year.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »
Yes, MU has to find a way to win conference road games.    And Cheeks, you have so much else to feel guilty about.    ;D

True dat, the list is long....starting with why I continue to live in this state.   :)

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 10:23:36 PM »
I echo your feelings, Cheeks. He's so frustrating when he's cold, but awe-inspiring when hot. I was wondering what if the halves were flipped. What if he got his 40 in the first, then got into foul trouble and mostly rode the bench the second half? Would I still be as impressed? IDK... I understand what-if games aren't super productive, but I still wonder.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 10:28:59 PM »
If only he could put two good halves together .....
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 10:31:54 PM »
I echo your feelings, Cheeks. He's so frustrating when he's cold, but awe-inspiring when hot. I was wondering what if the halves were flipped. What if he got his 40 in the first, then got into foul trouble and mostly rode the bench the second half? Would I still be as impressed? IDK... I understand what-if games aren't super productive, but I still wonder.

Huh? A 40 point half is a 40 point half.

The only thing hotter than Howard's 2nd half are going to be Scoop's always entertaining takes.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 10:33:25 PM »
Am I the only one that is happy but also not thrilled when Howard does this?  I feel guilty, you take the performance and just go wow...incredible...but I feel like it also encourages him at times to try this when he doesn’t have it. As a result we don’t have balance.

I know, take good with the bad, but need the balance long term....I think...right??

Another great performance....in a game where our two best runs (prior to the end) happened with him on the bench until he became Steph Curry for the last 10 minutes.  Crazy to watch.

Guilty.  STOG

So....he should have stopped shooting?  Just starting feeding the post?

Good heavens.  He strapped the team to his back and won the game for us.  He shot a ton and made all of them.  Why can’t we be thrilled that we have a guy who can do that.  Markus and MU were the lead on SportCenter tonight.  Twitter is going crazy right now with Markus.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy the huge win my brother.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 10:34:26 PM »
Like it or not, but a big time performance by Howard. The kid can flat out score and hats off to him.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 10:36:44 PM »
So....he should have stopped shooting?  Just starting feeding the post?

Good heavens.  He strapped the team to his back and won the game for us.  He shot a ton and made all of them.  Why can’t we be thrilled that we have a guy who can do that.  Markus and MU were the lead on SportCenter tonight.  Twitter is going crazy right now with Markus.

Just sit back, relax and enjoy the huge win my brother.

I am enjoying it, i’d Just like to rely less on him as there are other very good players, too.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 10:39:38 PM »
Ah. Is this the negative/minimize-the-win thread?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 10:39:47 PM »
As I've stated a zillion times, I'm a huge Markus fan. But I admit that I screamed at him through the TV a couple of times before he got going. I wanted him to keep his head up when he's dribbling and look for teammates when he doesn't have a high-percentage shot of his own.

Look, I want Markus to take every single good look he gets, and even some contested ones when he's in rhythm. I do get frustrated when he chucks up a bad look when he's cold, especially when talented teammates like Sam and Joey are open.

But that was incredible in the second half, and I kept saying, "He's gotta keep shooting until they stop him." (Not that he needed my encouragement!) That was some display. Haven't seen too many things like that since all those games watching MJ. He is a special offensive player, and we have a darn good basketball team, folks!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 10:41:09 PM »

Guilty.  STOG
Thisis STUPID!!!!
Goal is National Championship

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 10:42:34 PM »
I am enjoying it, i’d Just like to rely less on him as there are other very good players, too.

If he kept chucking after missing, that is one thing.  But when a guy like Markus is hot and feeling and getting the looks, he will keep taking them until he misses. 

I just don’t understand why people can’t just enjoy a game in a vacuum and not extrapolate out from a half of basketball.  It was an awesome game with an unbelieveable performance by a player.  Enjoy it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »
If he kept chucking after missing, that is one thing.  But when a guy like Markus is hot and feeling and getting the looks, he will keep taking them until he misses. 

I just don’t understand why people can’t just enjoy a game in a vacuum and not extrapolate out from a half of basketball.  It was an awesome game with an unbelieveable performance by a player.  Enjoy it.

You're right, Irwin. It really was a fun, entertaining game, even in the first half when Markus wasn't playing well. Very intense, two good teams going at each other, two coaches who know what they're doing, lots of upper-classmen with pride. Very enjoyable.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 10:47:45 PM »
oh stop. there is balance. markus is either good or great every game.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 10:58:26 PM »
Please appreciate the rare talent and unique and possibly unparalleled performance. I have seen MU hoops since Al started at MU. No one had a game like this. George Thompson, Dean Meminger, Jim Chones, Maurice Lucas, Earl Tatum, Butch Lee, Tony Smith, DWade, Novak--none of them came close to scoring 40 in one half. I saw Tony Smith score 44 at the Fieldhouse in Madison and Novak score 41 and 17 vs. UConn. Markus had 54 at Providence last year and 40 tonight in the second half. Please recognize the rarity of what you have seen and appreciate what you have. I would love to hear what Al McGuire would say about Markus.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 11:14:57 PM »

That is not true.  He was not good against Wisconsin.

Look, I think he is remarkable, insanely good when he has it going.  One of the best I have ever seen.  The good with the bad.  There will be games that he diesn’t have it and will try to keep shooting to get into it, and that is the fear....we have some other really good players and when he is in the shooting mode, they stand around and watch.

There is a reason he sometimes has a chicken reputation, there is some truth to that.  The good with the bad....I hope we don’t pay for it in some key games.

Good with the bad.  Tonight was amazing....other nights amazing....

Call it that I would like to see some diversification for the long term health of team, thus the guilt.

At any rate, another great win.

#firewojo

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:17:53 PM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2018, 11:24:57 PM »
Please appreciate the rare talent and unique and possibly unparalleled performance. I have seen MU hoops since Al started at MU. No one had a game like this. George Thompson, Dean Meminger, Jim Chones, Maurice Lucas, Earl Tatum, Butch Lee, Tony Smith, DWade, Novak--none of them came close to scoring 40 in one half. I saw Tony Smith score 44 at the Fieldhouse in Madison and Novak score 41 and 17 vs. UConn. Markus had 54 at Providence last year and 40 tonight in the second half. Please recognize the rarity of what you have seen and appreciate what you have. I would love to hear what Al McGuire would say about Markus.

I saw some of those as well, but I recall that they didn’t have games where they didn’t recognize when they didn’t have it.  Of course they were also a bit older and I have to keep remembering Howard is 19....which is insane.

Please please please understand I think he is incredible.

What I am hoping for is on occasions where isn’t on fire, he remembers there are other very good players and we don’t become stagnant.  That’s the concern.

Peace. Out.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:52:29 PM by Cheeks »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 11:39:19 PM »

Guilty.  STOG

I think it's easy to look at the points scored by Markus and say that there was no balance, but the fact that we were winning at half with him only putting up 5 tells a different story.  Sam dropped 18 which is above his average.  Joey was in double figures.  Chartouny was in double figures for only the third time wearing a MU uniform, and first time against not a low major.  Theo had probably his best all around game in his collegiate career.  Markus entered "god mode" so the right move was to keep letting him shoot.  If he had come back down to earth, I think we would have seen the ball spread around more, and the balanced scoring that we saw in the first half.  If you have "god mode" use it, but when we didn't, it's not like we weren't holding out own.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2018, 11:43:28 PM »

Wojo was Big Man Coach at Duke.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2018, 11:51:33 PM »
Really?

In before the lock.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 11:52:26 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2018, 11:57:23 PM »
One of the greatest individual performances I have seen in a long time. Saw Terry Furlow get 50 for Michigan State in the pre three point era that would have been about 65 today and I saw several 50 plus Outbursts by Pistol Pete.

I think this performance by Markus has to rank among the highest ever recorded in a half in NCAA history.

The kid can flat out score . I am enjoying every second of his career and hope it lasts all four years.

I think having tasted the sweet success of  3 big game victories  this year Markus motivation is going to be all about winning. I think he saw tonight that his teammates are more than capable of keeping the game close the way they did in the first half.  To me that was a huge story of tonight’s game.  A real team victory wrapped around the great individual performance.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2018, 11:58:02 PM »
Ah. Is this the negative/minimize-the-win thread?

The Chicos special! Why should anyone be happy when we could also not be happy?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 12:00:39 AM »
The best scoring game I ever saw a college player have in person was Scott Skiles getting 45 for Michigan State at Williams Arena before there was a 3-point line. He made several from beyond NBA 3 range. Would have had 60 easy if there were treys. Game actually reminded me a little of Markus' today ... just more of it.

Obviously, like most of us, I've seen many great, great games by individuals on TV. This was one of them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 12:14:47 AM »
As I posted elsewhere. during the 52 point game against Providence, 42 came after halftime.   So, we HAVE seen this before.    He's human.    Sometimes, he is going to force a shot.  Or a bunch of shots.    Accept it and move on and appreciate him while he is here. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2018, 12:28:30 AM »
I saw Jimmy Rayl drop 56 on Michigan St in 1963. Of his 23 field goals my best recollection is that about 15 of them would have been 3s so in todays game he would have had 70+. That said, I've NEVER seen a half as amazing as Howard's 2nd half tonight. I feel very good right now. This team led a really good Buffalo team at the half despite a negative contribution from their star and won in a rout in the back half with the same star going off. Win, win. Feeling guilty (???) or concerned after tonight's performance is silly. MU fans should be equal parts happy and excited. Period.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2018, 01:09:13 AM »
Guilty? I want more of this. He's absolutely incredible. The best scorer Marquette's ever had and he's halfway through his junior year. What makes it even better is he's not a big dude. The smaller a guy is the more impressive it is to put up these numbers.

Joey is a freshman making a big impact. His touches will come. Sam let's the game come to him and he was seeking his shot early tonight. Markus us the star. Let him fill that role.

I disagree about there not being balance either. MU put up over 100 points. Had other double digit scorers and guys contributed all over. There has not been too many games where Markus has not played or shot well. I am totally fine with him continuing to shoot even in the bad games. We need him. He shot terribly versus the Badgers but made key plays to help win that game.

MU was hanging with Buffalo all first half without Markus, and when he ignites them in the second half the Golden Eagles practically win by 20. Maybe we win without him, but that certainly is not happening.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:10:55 AM by Markusquette »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2018, 01:39:26 AM »

And how about that Joe Chartouny? Really stepped up when Markus had to go to the bench.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2018, 02:31:41 AM »
So Chicos. Sigh.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2018, 06:45:43 AM »
He was awful against WI...wojo had decided to give him a very bright green light and we will see what happens.  His performance was great in the second half.  If he can figure out a way to be good or great in every game MU is set. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2018, 07:00:01 AM »
Markus was phenomenal in the 2nd half. But the 1st half was important for the team to step up in his absence and display that they can compete without him on the court. This was the most impressive win by Marquette in some time.

Howard - scoring, Chartouny - hit big shots, John - block city, Hausers - passing and defense (good d even on the foul calls straight up and down), and Jamal playing some key minutes. Everyone contributed to this win, although Howard was curry-esque in the second half.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2018, 07:00:25 AM »
I saw Jimmy Rayl drop 56 on Michigan St in 1963. Of his 23 field goals my best recollection is that about 15 of them would have been 3s so in todays game he would have had 70+. That said, I've NEVER seen a half as amazing as Howard's 2nd half tonight. I feel very good right now. This team led a really good Buffalo team at the half despite a negative contribution from their star and won in a rout in the back half with the same star going off. Win, win. Feeling guilty (???) or concerned after tonight's performance is silly. MU fans should be equal parts happy and excited. Period.

Yep.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2018, 07:25:58 AM »
With hindsight (20-20) there is blame for Buffalo. Good players and they defended capably but the coach has got to change what he’s doing if playing a monster-on-the-loose like Markus. They pressed briefly but stopped? We’re they tired...could be. Didn’t get into Markus...fouling, bothering dribble more, disrupting rhythm. Last 10 min Wojo was doing the exact right thing...Markus walk it up, everyone clear out, pick, Howard left right step back 3.

Buffalo could have done a lot more to disrupt that and There are a bunch of top 20 coaches that will.

So am I being negative? No. Markus, Wojo did the right thing. Hot hand, don’t stop ... and watch the greatest shooter in college ball.

And to get to that point, many contributed...Theo, Hauser, Hauser, etal.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2018, 07:43:07 AM »
It's more like "LOOK AT ME!!!  LOOK AT ME!!!"

Only one guy on this board would make a post purely to draw attention to himself after a game and individual performance like what we saw last night.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »

I am happy, extremely.  Especially compared to a good chunk of our “fans” that spent the first month wanting our coach fired and dreaming of a coach that is in Blacksburg, VA.   Very happy with what we have, how this program is being run and the product on and OFF the court.  Could not be happier or prouder.

It amazes me how people miss the glowing remarks of his performance I made, but that’s not too surprising either.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 09:51:48 AM by Cheeks »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2018, 10:17:32 AM »
With hindsight (20-20) there is blame for Buffalo. Good players and they defended capably but the coach has got to change what he’s doing if playing a monster-on-the-loose like Markus. They pressed briefly but stopped? We’re they tired...could be. Didn’t get into Markus...fouling, bothering dribble more, disrupting rhythm. Last 10 min Wojo was doing the exact right thing...Markus walk it up, everyone clear out, pick, Howard left right step back 3.

Buffalo could have done a lot more to disrupt that and There are a bunch of top 20 coaches that will.

So am I being negative? No. Markus, Wojo did the right thing. Hot hand, don’t stop ... and watch the greatest shooter in college ball.

And to get to that point, many contributed...Theo, Hauser, Hauser, etal.
I do not think there was any coach in the country that could of stopped Markus in the second half last night. He was well covered, but made moves to get open. The one three he made last night might be the best three I ever seen a Marquette player make. Nobody was going to stop that shot.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2018, 11:46:51 AM »
Chico, you are looking at this completely bass-ackwards.      For 24 minutes, getting almost nothing from Markus and with Sam on the bench with 3 fouls, MU was in a one possession game with an undefeated team ranked #14 in the country.      That is balance.   That is team.   They came from 9 points down in the first half with Markus on the bench.     That is the team and the balance you are looking for.    And then Markus went off.     And it was awesome.    Beyond awesome.      But, MU was neck and neck with a top 15 team through 24 minutes getting nada thing from Markus.       Just as it was short sighted to base the expectations of the season on a trip to Assembly Hall a week into the season, it is short-sighted to think it was a one man show yesterday.      Everybody showed up to play and contributed.  (except Bailey.   Freshman.   He'll be fine)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2018, 12:00:52 PM »
Chico, you are looking at this completely bass-ackwards.      For 24 minutes, getting almost nothing from Markus and with Sam on the bench with 3 fouls, MU was in a one possession game with an undefeated team ranked #14 in the country.      That is balance.   That is team.   They came from 9 points down in the first half with Markus on the bench.     That is the team and the balance you are looking for.    And then Markus went off.     And it was awesome.    Beyond awesome.      But, MU was neck and neck with a top 15 team through 24 minutes getting nada thing from Markus.       Just as it was short sighted to base the expectations of the season on a trip to Assembly Hall a week into the season, it is short-sighted to think it was a one man show yesterday.      Everybody showed up to play and contributed.  (except Bailey.   Freshman.   He'll be fine)

This is why I was excited about last night.  New ways to win emerged.  We had a chance with a nearly no show Markus on O — when he showed up it put the game out of reach.  Of course you need your best player to win big games, but it showed we have a path to be in those games when he isn’t in ludicrous mode. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2018, 12:36:12 PM »
This is why I was excited about last night.  New ways to win emerged.  We had a chance with a nearly no show Markus on O — when he showed up it put the game out of reach.  Of course you need your best player to win big games, but it showed we have a path to be in those games when he isn’t in ludicrous mode.
Agreed but my concern is what things look like when he isnt in ludicrous mode and isnt in foul trouble.  It worked out against WI...but MU is TOUGH to beat if markus figures out his game a little more.  He hurt MU in the first half...I think they would have been better without him.

His second half was amazing...and the shots fell...but jacking contested 3s with 16 seconds in the shot clock and 15 pt lead isnt smart.  That said...the Travis Dieners of the world are few and far between.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »
Amazing second half performance, but I would be lying if I said I didn't scream at tv and Markus shot selection in the first half. 

Understand both points of view on this one.

When he is feeling it, what a talent.  When he is not feeling it and forcing it, we are not as good a team.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2018, 12:52:12 PM »

This.

Very excited about what JCS contributed -- we're gonna need him. Obviously Theo and the Hausers. Cain. Ed. Outrebounded a good rebounding team by 14. Nobody except Markus with more than 1 TO. Just a good, solid team win. Sounds odd to say in a game where a guy scored 8,743,881 second-half points, but it really was a good team win.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
He was awful against WI...wojo had decided to give him a very bright green light and we will see what happens.  His performance was great in the second half.  If he can figure out a way to be good or great in every game MU is set.

This!!  He was awful in the first half of this game too, but a splendid player overall.  People are not reading what I am saying, which isn’t new.  Great player, amazing performances, but at times we do the Henry Ellenson stand around and if that isn’t going well it can bite us.  But the man can carry a team on his back, no question.

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »
This!!  He was awful in the first half of this game too, but a splendid player overall.  People are not reading what I am saying, which isn’t new.  Great player, amazing performances, but at times we do the Henry Ellenson stand around and if that isn’t going well it can bite us.  But the man can carry a team on his back, no question.

and because he can carry a team, the defense has to respect his shot to the utmost. ... which usually means an open Sam, Joey, somebody. that's where my frustrations come from when he's jacking up contested 3's that he's missing.

but definitely love the dude and that he's on our team. I just think if he can improve his shot selection and court vision when his shot is off, then Marquette can get to even higher heights. it would help him get his too cuz getting others hot would get him better looks as the defense ends up having to make a tough choice.

definitely a Markus fan overall!!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2019, 10:46:26 AM »
McDermott said in press conference yesterday that some of our guys become spectators, an observation some of us have had over the year, too.  Seth Davis with similar take on Athletic

• As good as Markus Howard can be, the other Marquette players can sometimes can fall into a bad habit of becoming spectators. Howard was brilliant in scoring 33 points against Creighton on Sunday, but no one else scored more than seven as the Golden Eagles lost by six. Collective efficiency is more important than individual brilliance this time of year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2019, 10:52:33 AM »
McDermott said in press conference yesterday that some of our guys become spectators, an observation some of us have had over the year, too.  Seth Davis with similar take on Athletic

• As good as Markus Howard can be, the other Marquette players can sometimes can fall into a bad habit of becoming spectators. Howard was brilliant in scoring 33 points against Creighton on Sunday, but no one else scored more than seven as the Golden Eagles lost by six. Collective efficiency is more important than individual brilliance this time of year.

Sam couldn't hit a shot and nobody else could hold onto the ball.  Offensively we would've been better off with the rest of the team sitting down and watching Markus go to work.  At least we might've gotten a shot up and not runout layups over and over.

We're 23-6.  I think our scheme and how Markus is playing is doing alright, personally.  Glad you've been sitting on this until the first sign of trouble comes around...probably didn't expect to have to wait until March though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2019, 10:53:20 AM »

It can be tough to do much of anything off the ball when the guard is pounding it into the floor constantly. Especially when the defense brings help, someone has to be a safety valve and be available to get the ball. He's gotta get the ball out early, and then go to work on the second touch.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
Sam couldn't hit a shot and nobody else could hold onto the ball.  Offensively we would've been better off with the rest of the team sitting down and watching Markus go to work.  At least we might've gotten a shot up and not runout layups over and over.

We're 23-6.  I think our scheme and how Markus is playing is doing alright, personally.

I'm just passing on what their coach observed and said in the press conference.

When Sam hit that three and then had a chance to hit another, if he made that second one I think we win....we were about to put those guys into the mode of a severe uphill climb.  Sam definitely off yesterday. Sacar reverted back a bit, too.  Shame, but on to the next one.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
It can be tough to do much of anything off the ball when the guard is pounding it into the floor constantly. Especially when the defense brings help, someone has to be a safety valve and be available to get the ball. He's gotta get the ball out early, and then go to work on the second touch.

Which is why I continue to believe Markus shouldn't be our PG...at least not exclusively. IMHO, we would be a better team if we had a "PG by committee" type of approach. Sacar can handle the ball, so can Sam. So maybe Wojo should let them every once in a while.

Takes some pressure off Markus. Throws a curve ball at opponents. Keeps other players from become spectators.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2019, 11:53:01 AM »
We lost a road game we were expected to lose and played one awful game. Not sure it’s time to question the scheme and who’s getting minutes. Maybe it is a sign of something’s not working...or maybe it was just our toughest conference game and then a one off bad showing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »
There were many times yesterday where MU had the ball in the paint and the player passed up an open shot and threw it out to Sam at the three line with just a few seconds on the shot clock. Sacar in particular.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2019, 11:58:35 AM »

We're 23-6.  I think our scheme and how Markus is playing is doing alright, personally.  Glad you've been sitting on this until the first sign of trouble comes around...probably didn't expect to have to wait until March though.

Yep.

On at least 16 occasions, other Warriors were "non-spectators" enough to throw the ball away, kick it out of bounds, get it taken right from their hands, travel, commit an offensive foul, step out of bounds, etc.

We didn't play well.

In the home win against Nova, the one when Joey and Sam combined for 4 points, if Markus didn't go off we lose by 20.

It's March 4. We are 23-6, we have a shot at the Big East title, we are just a few days removed from having won 12 of 13 games, we are a top-20 team, and we are NCAA tourney bound. Are folks here actually proposing that we scrap the system that got us here and start anew? Is one of our coaches going to teach Markus how to play more like Chris Paul in a manner of days?

Fun stuff!

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
Felt like the "Horns" sets were awful yesterday.  Getting Joey or Sacar or Sam at the free throw line with their back to the basket doesn't work to the best of their abilities.  Also trouble with the entry passes from the wing to the (gulp) wide post where they do better.  As Wojo said post game, it's on him, cause teams are going to high hedge the rest of the season, until they figure it out.  Up to Markus to recognize the screen and the other players to know where to position themselves...

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2019, 12:23:44 PM »
There were many times yesterday where MU had the ball in the paint and the player passed up an open shot and threw it out to Sam at the three line with just a few seconds on the shot clock. Sacar in particular.
Yep which was frustrating because I really felt like Anim had his offense yesterday. I wish we would’ve gotten him more chances yesterday and wish he was more aggressive with the touches he did get. We’ve seen some games recently where he was the difference and I thought yesterday could’ve been one of those games
No Finish Line