[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I feel guilty  (Read 10428 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: I feel guilty
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
He was awful against WI...wojo had decided to give him a very bright green light and we will see what happens.  His performance was great in the second half.  If he can figure out a way to be good or great in every game MU is set.

This!!  He was awful in the first half of this game too, but a splendid player overall.  People are not reading what I am saying, which isn’t new.  Great player, amazing performances, but at times we do the Henry Ellenson stand around and if that isn’t going well it can bite us.  But the man can carry a team on his back, no question.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »
This!!  He was awful in the first half of this game too, but a splendid player overall.  People are not reading what I am saying, which isn’t new.  Great player, amazing performances, but at times we do the Henry Ellenson stand around and if that isn’t going well it can bite us.  But the man can carry a team on his back, no question.

and because he can carry a team, the defense has to respect his shot to the utmost. ... which usually means an open Sam, Joey, somebody. that's where my frustrations come from when he's jacking up contested 3's that he's missing.

but definitely love the dude and that he's on our team. I just think if he can improve his shot selection and court vision when his shot is off, then Marquette can get to even higher heights. it would help him get his too cuz getting others hot would get him better looks as the defense ends up having to make a tough choice.

definitely a Markus fan overall!!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2019, 10:46:26 AM »
McDermott said in press conference yesterday that some of our guys become spectators, an observation some of us have had over the year, too.  Seth Davis with similar take on Athletic

• As good as Markus Howard can be, the other Marquette players can sometimes can fall into a bad habit of becoming spectators. Howard was brilliant in scoring 33 points against Creighton on Sunday, but no one else scored more than seven as the Golden Eagles lost by six. Collective efficiency is more important than individual brilliance this time of year.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2019, 10:52:33 AM »
McDermott said in press conference yesterday that some of our guys become spectators, an observation some of us have had over the year, too.  Seth Davis with similar take on Athletic

• As good as Markus Howard can be, the other Marquette players can sometimes can fall into a bad habit of becoming spectators. Howard was brilliant in scoring 33 points against Creighton on Sunday, but no one else scored more than seven as the Golden Eagles lost by six. Collective efficiency is more important than individual brilliance this time of year.

Sam couldn't hit a shot and nobody else could hold onto the ball.  Offensively we would've been better off with the rest of the team sitting down and watching Markus go to work.  At least we might've gotten a shot up and not runout layups over and over.

We're 23-6.  I think our scheme and how Markus is playing is doing alright, personally.  Glad you've been sitting on this until the first sign of trouble comes around...probably didn't expect to have to wait until March though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2019, 10:53:20 AM »

It can be tough to do much of anything off the ball when the guard is pounding it into the floor constantly. Especially when the defense brings help, someone has to be a safety valve and be available to get the ball. He's gotta get the ball out early, and then go to work on the second touch.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
Sam couldn't hit a shot and nobody else could hold onto the ball.  Offensively we would've been better off with the rest of the team sitting down and watching Markus go to work.  At least we might've gotten a shot up and not runout layups over and over.

We're 23-6.  I think our scheme and how Markus is playing is doing alright, personally.

I'm just passing on what their coach observed and said in the press conference.

When Sam hit that three and then had a chance to hit another, if he made that second one I think we win....we were about to put those guys into the mode of a severe uphill climb.  Sam definitely off yesterday. Sacar reverted back a bit, too.  Shame, but on to the next one.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
It can be tough to do much of anything off the ball when the guard is pounding it into the floor constantly. Especially when the defense brings help, someone has to be a safety valve and be available to get the ball. He's gotta get the ball out early, and then go to work on the second touch.

Which is why I continue to believe Markus shouldn't be our PG...at least not exclusively. IMHO, we would be a better team if we had a "PG by committee" type of approach. Sacar can handle the ball, so can Sam. So maybe Wojo should let them every once in a while.

Takes some pressure off Markus. Throws a curve ball at opponents. Keeps other players from become spectators.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2019, 11:53:01 AM »
We lost a road game we were expected to lose and played one awful game. Not sure it’s time to question the scheme and who’s getting minutes. Maybe it is a sign of something’s not working...or maybe it was just our toughest conference game and then a one off bad showing.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »
There were many times yesterday where MU had the ball in the paint and the player passed up an open shot and threw it out to Sam at the three line with just a few seconds on the shot clock. Sacar in particular.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2019, 11:58:35 AM »

We're 23-6.  I think our scheme and how Markus is playing is doing alright, personally.  Glad you've been sitting on this until the first sign of trouble comes around...probably didn't expect to have to wait until March though.

Yep.

On at least 16 occasions, other Warriors were "non-spectators" enough to throw the ball away, kick it out of bounds, get it taken right from their hands, travel, commit an offensive foul, step out of bounds, etc.

We didn't play well.

In the home win against Nova, the one when Joey and Sam combined for 4 points, if Markus didn't go off we lose by 20.

It's March 4. We are 23-6, we have a shot at the Big East title, we are just a few days removed from having won 12 of 13 games, we are a top-20 team, and we are NCAA tourney bound. Are folks here actually proposing that we scrap the system that got us here and start anew? Is one of our coaches going to teach Markus how to play more like Chris Paul in a manner of days?

Fun stuff!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
Felt like the "Horns" sets were awful yesterday.  Getting Joey or Sacar or Sam at the free throw line with their back to the basket doesn't work to the best of their abilities.  Also trouble with the entry passes from the wing to the (gulp) wide post where they do better.  As Wojo said post game, it's on him, cause teams are going to high hedge the rest of the season, until they figure it out.  Up to Markus to recognize the screen and the other players to know where to position themselves...

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2019, 12:23:44 PM »
There were many times yesterday where MU had the ball in the paint and the player passed up an open shot and threw it out to Sam at the three line with just a few seconds on the shot clock. Sacar in particular.
Yep which was frustrating because I really felt like Anim had his offense yesterday. I wish we would’ve gotten him more chances yesterday and wish he was more aggressive with the touches he did get. We’ve seen some games recently where he was the difference and I thought yesterday could’ve been one of those games
No Finish Line

feedback