Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 10 days off, what to talk about  (Read 10563 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: 10 days off, what to talk about
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2018, 01:29:28 PM »
I think I only listed two possibilities--I expect Sam and Markus both to stay through their senior seasons ("next year").

But Bailey and Joey I think there is a possibility that either could leave after their junior year.  Bailey is the son of a long-time NBA player who will be 23 years old after three years.  And with Joey's size, handle, and IQ, I think he has a decent shot--a poor man's Ellenson, who left after only one.  I'd love it if they both stayed for all four, but won't be surprised if we lost either early.

I'm not sure that's a pro in the eyes of NBA scouts. He's going to have to make some big time improvements to be getting looks from the NBA. There are plenty of long, athletic wing types in the college ranks. He'll have to do more than look the part.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »
Yeah there is nothing about Bailey's game to date to suggest he'll be anything but a four year player.  Just because you are older, that doesn't mean squat.  When an NBA team drafts someone, they are only making a four year commitment to a guy anyway. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2018, 01:36:43 PM »
Yeah there is nothing about Bailey's game to date to suggest he'll be anything but a four year player.  Just because you are older, that doesn't mean squat.  When an NBA team drafts someone, they are only making a four year commitment to a guy anyway.
I would agree on your first sentance.  And his age is probably working against him for now re the NBA unless he makes some rapid strides.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:52:24 PM by Nukem2 »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2018, 01:37:27 PM »
Do we still have the gray jerseys?  I know a lot of people didn't like them but they were my favorite of the bunch.

The Sam STOG picture made me think of that. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
When an NBA team drafts someone, they are only making a four year commitment to a guy anyway.

#FakeNews
#Lies

*two-year*
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2018, 02:13:16 PM »
And his age is probably working against him for now re the NBA unless he makes some rapid strides.

I didn't articulate what I was thinking well in my first point.  What I was thinking about his age is not that it will make him more desirable for NBA teams, but that might actually force him to take his chances earlier and not stick around all four years. 

But--and obviously this is the most important part--I agree that he's got a lot to work on before he gets there or really is even in that conversation.  I just was thinking more hypothetically that with his bloodlines if he does put it all together in the next 2-3 years, he probably won't be a 24-year old senior for us.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »
I just was thinking more hypothetically that with his bloodlines if he does put it all together in the next 2-3 years, he probably won't be a 24-year old senior for us.

What makes him more memorable? A good MU career with a stint in the pros, or becoming the new Brian Cardinal? Imagine if Bailey were to redshirt too! He could be 25 and still on campus.

I know which model I'd lean toward if I were in his shoes....

leever

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »
1.  When will Elliott get back and how soon will he be able contribute?
2.  How will MU play during its NEXT road game?
3.  Is Sam healthy?    I still think he looks like he is laboring from time to time.
4.  MU is 8-2 with......Markus playing hero ball..... Sam going through a shooting slump..... inconsistent production from BB, JH, Cain, Chartouny, Morrow.    All have had their moments, but none have been consistent. 
5.  What is Joey's ceiling THIS YEAR?
6.   Morrow vs Theo, who should start at the 5?
7.   Will Chartouny ever make another 3?
8.  Why does NET hate Marquette?

7.  Will Chartouny ever make another LAYUP?

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »
Here is something to talk about...
We have one more scholarship for next year, or do we? One for sure and what about Ike? How would folks like to see the scholarship(s) used, a high school kid or a grad transfer? I know we will take the best player available but we have time to discuss hypotheticals. At what position do we have the most need?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2018, 03:45:56 PM »
We have one more scholarship for next year, or do we? One for sure and what about Ike? How would folks like to see the scholarship(s) used, a high school kid or a grad transfer? I know we will take the best player available but we have time to discuss hypotheticals. At what position do we have the most need?

It's safe to say they will have at least two scholarships open next season. Either Ike can't play and/or someone transfers (Wojo has always had at least one transfer). Not a bad thing per se just facts.

I think they need to recruit a PG and a big with the two scholarships they are going to have.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2018, 03:51:25 PM »

I’d say traditional transfer or late bloomer HS kid.  Barring injury or major transfer out, there will not be a lot of available minutes next year unless they can jump either Sacar (as a senior) or the Morrow/John center combo.  So tough to sell a grad transfer unless a perfect fit.

I think you are looking more at need for 20-21 and beyond, so a good transfer who has to sit for a year, improve their game and help on scout team would be the best IMO.  Or bank it for the class of ‘20.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
I’d say traditional transfer or late bloomer HS kid.  Barring injury or major transfer out, there will not be a lot of available minutes next year unless they can jump either Sacar (as a senior) or the Morrow/John center combo.  So tough to sell a grad transfer unless a perfect fit.

I think you are looking more at need for 20-21 and beyond, so a good transfer who has to sit for a year, improve their game and help on scout team would be the best IMO.  Or bank it for the class of ‘20.

I know what you meant but I laughed/winced when you wrote "traditional".

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2018, 08:35:47 AM »
What's the difference between Henry and Joey beyond hype?

Henry might be a better rebounder and Henry had moves to get that 15 footer that looked really smooth...but the 15 footer never went in.  Joey can shoot it.

Henry has the size of an NBA PF/C.  Joey has the size of a SF/PF.

Henry had experience with USA Basketball so he was on the scouting radar while still in HS.  Joey is just starting to get exposure.  Being considered an NBA prospect is half the battle.

Henry benefited from timing.  A very weak 2016 NBA draft allowed Henry to be drafted much higher than he normally would.

They're games are completely different.   They are kinda, sorta similar at first glance.  But Henry was a much better rebounder and shot blocker as a frosh, and he was a high usage, low efficiency player.  He also had a lower turnover rate.

Joey is a better shooter in every category,  a medium usage player with high efficiency,  and has a better assist rate.

Joey is more like Kyle Singler than he is Henry.  Singler was a 4 year player at Duke and, IIRC, a 2nd round pick.  He's also had a solid career as a role player.  Henry had the size, potential,  and draft timing to be the 18th pick in 2016.  But that doesn't mean Joey can't have the better long term career.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »
So will Wojo use our open schollie on another senior transfer or hold it for '20 class or is there a recruit out there still considering MU that wojo would sign?

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »

Here we go:  http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25517582/kentucky-guard-quade-green-transferring

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »
MU can't take a mid-year transfer. All scholarships are filled.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2018, 06:11:30 PM »
MU can't take a mid-year transfer. All scholarships are filled.

Currently.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »
Currently.

Once a scholarship is filled it is filled for the year. Even if someone transfers mid year, Marquette could not use his scholarship.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »
Once a scholarship is filled it is filled for the year. Even if someone transfers mid year, Marquette could not use his scholarship.

A player could pay his own way the second semester I believe.  IIRC, Luke Fischer paid the 2nd semester when transferring from Indiana.

I'm not sure many would pay, but believe it is allowed.

ducs

• Walk-On
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2018, 07:35:41 PM »
Freeway attended the UTEP game.

I saw him at Oscars last week. Talked Bucks a little bit.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire