'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bracketology Thread 2018-19  (Read 104680 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Bracketology Thread 2018-19
« Reply #650 on: March 02, 2019, 10:53:49 PM »
I didn't watch Kentucky-Tennessee game but I did see a few seconds of highlights that ESPN showed. They aired just enough for everybody to see Calipari tear Herro a new one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #651 on: March 03, 2019, 07:06:36 AM »
so herro blew that one for 'em, ey?  best thing about freshman is they become sophomores...except at kentucky and duke they become 1st or 2nd round draft picks
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #652 on: March 03, 2019, 07:12:04 AM »
Herro shouldn't be going pro yet.  He has decent NBA size, and has had some eye-popping games, but he also has had games like yesterday where he looks lost. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #653 on: March 03, 2019, 07:20:05 AM »
Biggest bubble winners on Saturday was UCF & Utah State.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #654 on: March 03, 2019, 07:31:10 AM »
Houston probably dropped down to a 4-5 seed and Nevada a 7-8. If Nevada didn't go on that run last year they might be ranked/seeded even worse.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #655 on: March 03, 2019, 09:02:44 AM »
Herro shouldn't be going pro yet.  He has decent NBA size, and has had some eye-popping games, but he also has had games like yesterday where he looks lost.

For many (perhaps even most) of these kids, "shouldn't" doesn't enter into it one iota.

It doesn't matter whether their skills are ready for the NBA. All that matters is that NBA teams are ready to draft them and pay them handsomely.

So while one could make an argument that both Henry and Vander "shouldn't" have gone pro when they did, that's only true for one of them -- the one who didn't get drafted/paid. And even he didn't want to be a college basketball player any more, so because of that he shouldn't have stayed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #656 on: March 03, 2019, 09:14:59 AM »
Houston probably dropped down to a 4-5 seed and Nevada a 7-8. If Nevada didn't go on that run last year they might be ranked/seeded even worse.

Guess again. Both Houston losing at home to UCF and Nevada losing at Utah States were Q1 losses. A team is not going to tumble 2-3 seed lines because of a Q1 loss. If I had to guess, I would guess that Houston is probably the last 3 seed on the s-curve after last night. I think Nevada would be the 3rd or 4th 6 seed.

I think we are probably the top 4 seed at the moment, win today and maybe we can leapfrog Houston.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #657 on: March 03, 2019, 11:39:50 AM »
There is no one ranked 27th. Voters only go to 25. Every AP voter in the country could think Belmont is the 26th best team in the country, but because they only rank to 25, the Bruins get zero votes.

Villanova may have the 27th highest vote total, but that doesn't mean they are ranked 27th.

Villanova was number 27 in the NET, which, unlike the voted polls, actually means something if you’re thinking about NCAA seeding.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #658 on: March 03, 2019, 01:35:17 PM »
Guess again. Both Houston losing at home to UCF and Nevada losing at Utah States were Q1 losses. A team is not going to tumble 2-3 seed lines because of a Q1 loss. If I had to guess, I would guess that Houston is probably the last 3 seed on the s-curve after last night. I think Nevada would be the 3rd or 4th 6 seed.

I think we are probably the top 4 seed at the moment, win today and maybe we can leapfrog Houston.

Honest question..how in the hell could the committee justify putting Houston ahead of MU(and others)? So what...they have two total losses..but count em..2 Q1 wins and 20..thats right 20 wins against Q3-Q4..If Houston is seeded higher than MU someone's got some 'splaining to do. And my worries about the committee are justified. You cant seemingly place a huge priority on Q1 wins..then ignore it when it comes to Houston.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #659 on: March 03, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #660 on: March 03, 2019, 01:49:41 PM »

Yea this is wrong in a few ways. Doesn't matter if it was a Q1 loss there were several teams waiting to pounce over Houston and Nevada when the initial rankings game out. If Houston was a 3 seed with 1 loss instead of a 1 seed it shows there lack of Q1 wins. No way they are on the 4 line let alone 3 with a loss to UCF even if a Q1 loss. Nevada was on the 4 line with 1 loss as well and has lost 2 since. They will be on the 7/8 line right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #661 on: March 03, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
Yea this is wrong in a few ways. Doesn't matter if it was a Q1 loss there were several teams waiting to pounce over Houston and Nevada when the initial rankings game out. If Houston was a 3 seed with 1 loss instead of a 1 seed it shows there lack of Q1 wins. No way they are on the 4 line let alone 3 with a loss to UCF even if a Q1 loss. Nevada was on the 4 line with 1 loss as well and has lost 2 since. They will be on the 7/8 line right now.

This was Houston's first loss since the bracket reveal. Most had them either as the last 2 seed or the first 3 seed before last night's loss. Losing to a top 30 team is not going to drop them multiple seed lines.

There are also not many teams "waiting to pounce" on Houston. There is pretty large gap between the top 14 and the rest of the field. The lowest Houston could possibly drop with that loss is the 2nd 4 seed.

Nevada dropped from 4 seed line to the to the top 5 seed in most brackets after their much worse loss to San Diego State. A road loss to an NCAA tournament team is not going to drop them 2-3 seed lines. They are likely on the 6 seed line, maybe the top 7 seed.
TAMU

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #662 on: March 03, 2019, 04:40:17 PM »
Say goodbye to the 3 seed, hello 4 seed

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #663 on: March 03, 2019, 04:57:21 PM »
Say goodbye to the 3 seed, hello 4 seed
3 looks impossible now.  Probably 4/5.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #664 on: March 03, 2019, 05:02:38 PM »
3 looks impossible now.  Probably 4/5.

No, it is not impossible. 2 is pretty close to impossible but 3 is very much possible. If I had to guess, I'd say we are 3rd on the 4 seed line. Teams in front of us will lose. If we win, we will pass them.
TAMU

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #665 on: March 03, 2019, 05:26:08 PM »
No, it is not impossible. 2 is pretty close to impossible but 3 is very much possible. If I had to guess, I'd say we are 3rd on the 4 seed line. Teams in front of us will lose. If we win, we will pass them.
You're right, impossible is probably not accurate.  However, i think it's very unlikely they can get back up to a 3.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #666 on: March 03, 2019, 05:29:38 PM »

How is this possible, you keep saying that teams don't move seed lines because of a loss or two, now you are saying MU is probably the 3rd 4 seed, when they were a 3 seed in the bracket reveal. When I kept saying MSU etc won't move because of losses, you say they shouldn't etc etc, now you fully admit MU has probably dropped a seed line when I was saying they would after nova and you kept refuting it. Consistency please.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #667 on: March 03, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »
How is this possible, you keep saying that teams don't move seed lines because of a loss or two, now you are saying MU is probably the 3rd 4 seed, when they were a 3 seed in the bracket reveal. When I kept saying MSU etc won't move because of losses, you say they shouldn't etc etc, now you fully admit MU has probably dropped a seed line when I was saying they would after nova and you kept refuting it. Consistency please.

We dropped from 4th on the 3 seed line to 3rd on the 4 seed line. That's not a lot of movement despite two losses, including a bad one to Creighton at home and one 1 good win to balance it (1 pt vs. Nova at home).

Michigan State has stayed about the same despite 2 losses. That's because in addition to those two losses (which were roughly equal to our losses) they have beaten top 10 Michigan on the road and top 20 Wisconsin on the road. Both of those wins are much better than our home win over Villanova. That is why they are staying put, while Marquette has dropped a whole 4 spots.
TAMU

muguru

• All American
« Reply #668 on: March 03, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »
We dropped from 4th on the 3 seed line to 3rd on the 4 seed line. That's not a lot of movement despite two losses, including a bad one to Creighton at home and one 1 good win to balance it (1 pt vs. Nova at home).

Michigan State has stayed about the same despite 2 losses. That's because in addition to those two losses (which were roughly equal to our losses) they have beaten top 10 Michigan on the road and top 20 Wisconsin on the road. Both of those wins are much better than our home win over Villanova. That is why they are staying put, while Marquette has dropped a whole 4 spots.

It's still dropping a seed line, in which a 3 is astronomically better then a 4...I don't mean to come after you...I'm just salty AF. Trying to figure out how the hell you let a crap team like that, walk into your building this late in the year and beat you. Disgusting. There is no better way to put it. They don't deserve to be BE champions...Championship level teams don't let complete horse crap teams come into their building and win in March.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #669 on: March 03, 2019, 10:39:57 PM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #670 on: March 03, 2019, 10:46:57 PM »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #671 on: March 04, 2019, 08:27:02 AM »
Of course in Duke's region..
I get the feeling no matter what seed we get, who we’re matched up with and where we play you will whine. Enjoy the ride fool
No Finish Line

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #672 on: March 04, 2019, 09:21:07 AM »
Of course in Duke's region..

The odds are probably 50/50 we end up in Duke's region if we are a top-4 seed. Either them or Virginia because of the number of ACC and Big Ten teams near the top.

Outside chance we end up with Kentucky/Tennessee, highly unlikely we are in Gonzaga's region. That's just how the seeding rules work.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #673 on: March 04, 2019, 09:27:01 AM »
The odds are probably 50/50 we end up in Duke's region if we are a top-4 seed. Either them or Virginia because of the number of ACC and Big Ten teams near the top.

Outside chance we end up with Kentucky/Tennessee, highly unlikely we are in Gonzaga's region. That's just how the seeding rules work.

Still think we end up on the 3 line but we need to win out now.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #674 on: March 04, 2019, 09:33:53 AM »
4 seed at NBC/Bracketville. 14th on the S Curve.

4 at CBS.