[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Does having Markus take away from Sam?  (Read 2792 times)

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Does having Markus take away from Sam?
« on: March 06, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
No, this isn’t a thread to sh*t on Markus, but rather a question of opinion.

Every time Markus is out of the game for extended minutes, Sam always shows up for this team.  He puts the team on his back and does well.

When Markus is playing, sam definitely takes a secondary role to Howard.  I wish Sam knew how good he is, and demanded the rock more.  I think he’s our most valuable player

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Re: Does having Markus take away from Sam?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 07:26:25 PM »
I think my point is being proven.  Bad Howard tonight. Wojo should have kept riding the squad that was out there while he was on the bench.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »
Marcus is not a team player and it hurts our team. I blame Wojo for letting this happen.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »
I forget which exact game it was a few games ago.
Right before half, as time was winding down, Sam set a screen for Markus at the top of key. Sam’s defender AND Markus’ defender stayed on Markus. Instead of passing to the open Sam on the wing...who was calling for the ball....Markus took the shot. Markus drilled it.....at the buzzer.  However, Sam was not excited. I took note.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:02:14 PM »
I forget which exact game it was a few games ago.
Right before half, as time was winding down, Sam set a screen for Markus at the top of key. Sam’s defender AND Markus’ defender stayed on Markus. Instead of passing to the open Sam on the wing...who was calling for the ball....Markus took the shot. Markus drilled it.....at the buzzer.  However, Sam was not excited. I took note.

Trouble in paradise?

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 08:05:03 PM »
No

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 12:55:46 AM »
The 3-4 minutes in mid 2nd half when Markus was out and Sacar ran point was the best few minutes of team play of the last 3 games.   I immediately asked, is this team actually better without Markus????   

I’m starting to think yes.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 01:51:01 AM »
When Marcus is in the tempo increases and this team is not athletic enough to play up tempo.  They play better at a slower tempo. 

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 06:09:45 AM »
If you want this team to be a top 10 team we really need a superstar like Marcus.  You have to take the bad with the good.  Plus this team really would have no distributor at all.  You'd have a small forward Sacar playing out of position.   Next year maybe with our red shirt pg you could win with MH but you'll still be much better in most games with him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 06:26:10 AM »
I dunno ... Sam seemed to have no trouble heaving up a bunch of no-prayer scuds in the last few minutes. Channeling his "inner Markus," I suppose some might say.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 06:55:30 AM »
A couple myths really don’t pan out here. First, Markus was not brought in when Marquette’s lead was at its peak. Hall already started their come back.

Second having Markus on the floor did not take shots away from Sam. In fact he missed a wide open attempt from the top of the key that I thought could have stopped Halls momentum. But he missed. That didn’t lose the game but he certainly had his chances.

The problem is with ball handling. Markus isn’t great and Wojo knows this. But what choice does he have? The die is cast with this team. Hit shots and endure turnovers.

If there is any “blame” on Wojo it’s on how the offense loses patience and takes poor shots at the end. Is that on Wojo? Markus?  I don’t know. Panic may be too strong of a word. But it’s a problem.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 07:52:32 AM »
Who is this Marcus people keep talking about?

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 08:01:29 AM »
The 3-4 minutes in mid 2nd half when Markus was out and Sacar ran point was the best few minutes of team play of the last 3 games.   I immediately asked, is this team actually better without Markus????   

Don’t think so much, your brain can be dangerous

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 08:02:44 AM »

Are we a better team without Markus?  Absolutely not.
Do we have stretches where the team plays better when Markus is not on the floor?  Yes.
Last night I think the right answer would have been to keep running things through Sam, but to suggest that we're a better team without Markus is foolish.  Remember literally two games ago he scored 21 straight for us.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 08:28:57 AM »
Are we a better team without Markus?  Absolutely not.
Do we have stretches where the team plays better when Markus is not on the floor?  Yes.
Last night I think the right answer would have been to keep running things through Sam, but to suggest that we're a better team without Markus is foolish.  Remember literally two games ago he scored 21 straight for us.

We did.  He took more shots than anyone else after Markus returned.  He just got cold, and some of them were forced.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 08:32:40 AM »

We did.  He took more shots than anyone else after Markus returned.  He just got cold, and some of them were forced.

I worded it poorly, yes Sam was taking the shots, but we weren't running offense.  I would have tried to get him in a post-up, rather than a contested three point shooting contest.  Partially on Sam, partially on Wojo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 08:41:08 AM »
I really wondered with Sam last night, because he usually doesn't force shots, did he think he was going to get fouled? Was he trying for the same foul that Powell drew on Bailey earlier in the game?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 08:42:43 AM »
I was thinking it's kind of unfortunate that Sam will never have the chance to lead this team without Markus.  But we are not a better team without Markus.  But the only way we are a GREAT team if we can figure out how to be just as effective when teams focus their entire effort on shutting down Markus.  That is largely on Markus but also on Sam, Sacar, Joey and Theo (and especially Wojo) to figure out.

On the bright side I was really happy with Brendan Bailey's game last night.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 09:01:41 AM »
Better team with Markus on almost all nights, no doubt.  More streaky, sure.  Able to reach a higher level with him, sure.  Able to reach an elite level when Markus is on, sure.  Able to reach an elite level without Markus, no. 

Our best shot at great success is taking the good with the bad with Markus.  He is elite, just not all of the time.

Markus is not a point guard and is being asked to handle the ball more than anyone wants.  Play more minutes than what Wojo would want.  But that is the hand this year. We knew coming into the season we were low on guards and then with Elliott getting hurt and Joe not panning out, well, we are really short at the guard positions.  We have a two guard and a wing playing the 1 and 2 positions without much of any real backups.

Wojo has done a good job with what we have. Unfortunately, we are one solid point guard away from being really really good.  One point guard and a back up point guard away from being at a level we haven't seen since Wade or before.

What could change is that Markus needs to spot the double teams and traps quicker and pass quicker.  We all know that more passing and multiple swings of the ball are needed.  Not something Markus is used to doing.   Yes, he tries to do too much.  The problem is that when he is on he can do little wrong and we can beat anyone.  So you have to take the good with the bad this year.

Hopefully he is back next year, we have a floor general to run the team and distribute and control the flow, and then we are an elite team next year.  This year we are only elite when Markus is on.  But, I'd rather shoot for elite than settle for less than that.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 09:11:15 AM »

Great analysis. Thanks for sharing.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 10:02:50 AM »
Markus is in a real rough stretch of committing turnovers.  Combined with his poor shooting last night led to a terrible game.

But some say the opponents have figured out how to stop him.
Remember he scored 33 against Creighton.  25 against Nova.  On combined 19/40 shooting.

When is the last time a MU guy scored MORE than 58 points in back-to-back games?
I went back to 2003 and there hadn't been a single time.   I don't think Wade did it.  I doubt Wardle. I'd have to check the game logs.  Maybe Tony Smith?

None if 15 years.  Unless I include the 12 times Markus has done it the past two seasons.

feedback