collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Newsdreams
[Today at 03:20:44 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:19:42 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Journal Sentinel Subscriptions  (Read 16945 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: Journal Sentinel Subscriptions
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2018, 02:10:33 PM »
Yes, I didn't mean to say the Athletic is an example of the profitable model (at least not yet), but an example of how to rethink the organizational structure of journalism and how journalism will function in the future.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2018, 02:58:47 PM »
I am pretty excited.  Today I learned that if something is easy to steal, it's not really stealing.

Of course it is.

But that's not what I'm doing.

The Athletic isn't profitable. It's riding high on a big wave of investment capital that is betting that it might one day be profitable, but they're not there yet. Probably not close.
The few outlets that are profitable, i.e. the "failing" New York Times and Washington Posts of the world, have done so largely by improving content, not slashing it to save money, and making readers hit a paywall quickly (and hoping that, unlike some people, those readers will actually respect the value of their work.

I clearly respect the value of their work.  Too bad their employer doesn't.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2018, 04:21:20 PM »

1. They are putting content out there for free.

2. I am using a simple and legal technique to access it. 

3. I am perfectly comfortable ethically and morally with using #2 to access #1.

4. Your dipsh*t logic and "psychology" really don't impact #3. 

Got it?

Yes, I've got it. You are fine rationalizing to yourself stealing content from people who are seeking payment for said content.

If you didn't know what you are doing is stealing, you wouldn't be bragging about how you've figured out workarounds to get paid content for free.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2018, 04:24:29 PM »
Yes, I've got it. You are fine rationalizing to yourself stealing content from people who are seeking payment for said content.

If you didn't know what you are doing is stealing, you wouldn't be bragging about how you've figured out workarounds to get paid content for free.

Cut the Pontiff some slack.  Everyone knows his chit dont stink.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2018, 04:26:35 PM »

Are you really this dimwitted?  I'm not "bragging" about anything.  I simply said: "You won't even need a digital subscription if you just use Chrome's incognito windows."

That caused the hand-wringers to claim that I am "stealing."  You know.  Something that has been placed on the internet for free.   ::)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:28:56 PM by Sultan of South Wayne »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2018, 04:32:29 PM »
I clearly respect the value of their work.  Too bad their employer doesn't.

Journalism is one of those rare products where people feel justified in refusing to pay for it, and even get mad when it's not free.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2018, 04:33:09 PM »
Journalism is one of those rare products where people feel justified in refusing to pay for it, and even get mad when it's not free.

Maybe they should produce better content then.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2018, 04:34:51 PM »

That caused the hand-wringers to claim that I am "stealing."  You know.  Something that has been placed on the internet for free.   ::)

It's no longer free for you when you hit the paywall.
By your logic, because I can get a few free samples of cheese and popcorn next time I visit Costco, I ought to be able to walk out of the store with a shopping cart full without paying. Because, you know, they put out some of it for free.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2018, 04:37:03 PM »

Ha!
Says the guy a) claims to value the content and b) consumes it so often he uses up all his free clicks and has to go to private browsing to keep reading.
Chicos-level goalpost shifting here.
Really, just admit you're cheap and don't want to pay. At least that would be honest.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:42:37 PM by Pakuni »

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2018, 04:38:11 PM »

I think we found Heisenberg's latest profile.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2018, 04:40:40 PM »
It's no longer free for you when you hit the paywall.
By your logic, because I can get a few free samples of cheese and popcorn next time I visit Costco, I ought to be able to walk out of the store with a shopping cart full without paying. Because, you know, they put out some of it for free.

Another really poor analogy. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 04:52:29 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2018, 04:53:40 PM »

Gotta agree with Sultan on this issue.

Interesting that many here support the MJS infringing on your privacy by placing cookies on your PC even after making you pay for their product.

Refusing to give them access to your PC to send you ads gets you their website for free. That is the way THEY set up their subscription model. Sultan is not stealing a thing - JSO is offering it to him for free.

They could change it any time.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2018, 05:08:07 PM »
Are you really this dimwitted?

Are you really this desperate to continue rationalizing your own behavior?

It's paid content. You are taking actions to avoid paying for said content that you know is intended to be paid for.

You can dismiss all the perfectly accurate analogies you like, you can move the goalposts wherever you want, but all you're doing is mimicking the behavior of people like Heisy & Chicos that you've criticized in the past. If you don't like being called on your crap, maybe don't air it in public.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
Gotta agree with Sultan on this issue.

Interesting that many here support the MJS infringing on your privacy by placing cookies on your PC even after making you pay for their product.

Refusing to give them access to your PC to send you ads gets you their website for free. That is the way THEY set up their subscription model. Sultan is not stealing a thing - JSO is offering it to him for free.

They could change it any time.

MJS is doing nothing different than every other website out there (again, including this one). It's nothing more than a red herring to rationalize his unwillingness to pony up.

And no, cookies do not give the MJS access to your computer.  Where did you come up with that?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »
Are you really this desperate to continue rationalizing your own behavior?

It's paid content. You are taking actions to avoid paying for said content that you know is intended to be paid for.

You can dismiss all the perfectly accurate analogies you like, you can move the goalposts wherever you want, but all you're doing is mimicking the behavior of people like Heisy & Chicos that you've criticized in the past. If you don't like being called on your crap, maybe don't air it in public.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you think you are "calling me on my crap," that's rich.  You haven't changed my mind on the matter.  You will never change my mind on the matter. 

I am bemused by the "debate" more than anything.  A cat has to play with a mouse every so often.  It's enjoyable.

(And the content isn't "paid."  It is on the web for free.  I don't know why you are having trouble understanding this very basic concept.)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2018, 05:42:46 PM »
I am bemused by the "debate" more than anything.  A cat has to play with a mouse every so often.  It's enjoyable.

Yes, you've been getting batted around for hours. Glad you enjoy it.

At this rate, with all your twisting and turning to rationalize this, you'll look like a pretzel by morning.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
Yes, you've been getting batted around for hours. Glad you enjoy it.

I guess if I respected your opinion about me it might mean something. Otherwise...meh.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
MJS is doing nothing different than every other website out there (again, including this one). It's nothing more than a red herring to rationalize his unwillingness to pony up.

And no, cookies do not give the MJS access to your computer.  Where did you come up with that?

I meant access to send ads to your PC - I should have stated it more clearly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »
Move on, people.  Nothing to see here.

Only 21 more posts (22 including this one) on the subject since people were urged to "move on."

Like most 7-year-olds, we don't listen real well.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »

If you think you are "calling me on my crap," that's rich.  You haven't changed my mind on the matter.  You will never change my mind on the matter. 

(And the content isn't "paid."  It is on the web for free.  I don't know why you are having trouble understanding this very basic concept.)

Now even I’ve got to admit, this is Chico esque.  Yous guyses have a little “thing” goin on the side?  🙈
don't...don't don't don't don't

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:59 PM »
Tbh, I think both things can be true. MJS should protect its IP with better paywall technology. And it's still doing a great disservice to the men and women who add so much support to our local community and call out dirty politics that pair gerrymandering with corrupt intent to further disenchfranchise voters like this https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/30/lawmakers-consider-changes-early-voting-transportation-funding-2020-presidential-primary/2162684002/

#IAmTheLock

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »
Only 21 more posts (22 including this one) on the subject since people were urged to "move on."

Like most 7-year-olds, we don't listen real well.

Nice!  The dude that gets the most lockdowns per capital, fresh off a “time out” and he’s telling us we don’t what?  Your teal button must be outta ink, EyN’eR?
don't...don't don't don't don't

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »
Tbh, I think both things can be true. MJS should protect its IP with better paywall technology. And it's still doing a great disservice to the men and women who add so much support to our local community and call out dirty politics that pair gerrymandering with corrupt intent to further disenchfranchise voters like this https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2018/11/30/lawmakers-consider-changes-early-voting-transportation-funding-2020-presidential-primary/2162684002/

#IAmTheLock

Oh, I see what you did there.  Clever!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2018, 09:24:37 PM »

Nice!  The dude that gets the most lockdowns per capital, fresh off a “time out” and he’s telling us we don’t what?  Your teal button must be outta ink, EyN’eR?

I included myself.

I have never once used teal.

There is no such thing as "per capital."

Lighten up, Francis.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback